TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 21, 2019, 10:46:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 169287 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #2060 on: January 07, 2019, 09:11:36 PM »

King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black. Interesting. Someone is feeding our local second hand record shop with mint (presumably) review copies. Big, veritable slabs of vinyl they are these days. Also picked up Beatles for Sale and Vardis 100 MPH in the sale at the same time.

Interesting?  Interesting?!  INTERESTING?!  The most 'interesting' thing about it is that Starless isn't on it.  But to these cloth ears, it's a work of genius nonetheless...

I used to have 100 MPH on cassette.  Which then got chewed up.  All in all, not very metal of my tape machine.

How much is the charity shop charging?

ps loving that Obsolete Gong thing Ian shared yesterday.

New LPs for around a tenner or, if you combine your Christmas gift vouchers with their half price sale, considerably less.

Cripes.  I trust you've given up work and are there in the queue first thing every morning.  Keep us posted.

Is this shop somewhere in Essex...he asks hopeful

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2061 on: January 07, 2019, 10:39:11 PM »

Out of Time in the heart of swinging downtown Ipswich.

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #2062 on: January 08, 2019, 07:06:04 AM »

Thank you. That’s just 40 minutes up the A12 from me so I might have to venture up there  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2063 on: January 08, 2019, 07:21:48 AM »

Thank you. That’s just 40 minutes up the A12 from me so I might have to venture up there  Grin

NOT FAIR  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2064 on: January 08, 2019, 08:18:49 AM »

Sigur Ros' "inni" live cd (& dvd), picked up for 6 quid yesterday in Badlands in Cheltenham.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2065 on: January 09, 2019, 07:16:10 PM »

DJ-S in not turning off Jazz shocker:  I'm "really quite enjoying" Kamasi Washington.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2066 on: January 11, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »

Strawbs early material, particularly the album they made with Sandy, which was the first Sandy album I heard.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2067 on: January 11, 2019, 02:12:09 PM »

New boxset purchased last night. Stevie Wonder's At The Close Of A Century. Fantastic stuff and some fabulous photos in the booklet.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #2068 on: January 11, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »

TradArrr's Further Tales...
Skinny Lister Down on Deptford Broadway
Twelfth Night Art and Illusion - Definitive Edition

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #2069 on: January 12, 2019, 09:52:46 AM »

New boxset purchased last night. Stevie Wonder's At The Close Of A Century. Fantastic stuff and some fabulous photos in the booklet.

Sounds interesting. Is it a live album?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2070 on: January 12, 2019, 10:42:05 AM »

Sounds interesting. Is it a live album?

Career overview anthology I believe.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2071 on: January 12, 2019, 01:05:10 PM »

Sorting through some of my old vinyl vinyl I fell upon a couple of Stan Ridgway albums that I haven't heard in donkey's years, The Big Heat & Mosquitoes so I am playing those. I am sure I have Partyball somewhere on cassette too so I must dig that out and digitalize it.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #2072 on: January 12, 2019, 04:25:37 PM »

McCartney (or should that be Wings) Wildlife. It's been many years since I bought and played this album over and over. So I've been singing along with gusto. It's an odd album, Dear Friend is right up there with the best of macca's stuff in my book while a lot of the tracks are sort of thrown together but not without quirks that make them interesting. Bonus disk to explore later.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2073 on: January 12, 2019, 04:52:22 PM »

McCartney (or should that be Wings) Wildlife. It's been many years since I bought and played this album over and over. So I've been singing along with gusto. It's an odd album, Dear Friend is right up there with the best of macca's stuff in my book while a lot of the tracks are sort of thrown together but not without quirks that make them interesting. Bonus disk to explore later.

Some People Never Know - now there's a great song.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2074 on: January 12, 2019, 05:30:54 PM »

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the bonus disc. I thought it was pretty disposable whereas the one with Red Rose Speedway is excellent.

I have always been fond of Wildlife. It starts disastrously but some iffy vocals from Linda aside, from track 2 onwards it is a hoot with the title track, Some People, Tomorrow and Dear Friend all being in the very top rank of McCartney's craft.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #2075 on: January 12, 2019, 06:26:39 PM »

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the bonus disc. I thought it was pretty disposable whereas the one with Red Rose Speedway is excellent.

I have always been fond of Wildlife. It starts disastrously but some iffy vocals from Linda aside, from track 2 onwards it is a hoot with the title track, Some People, Tomorrow and Dear Friend all being in the very top rank of McCartney's craft.

I'm glad there are other Wildlife fans, I think it was largely dismissed by the press at the time but there is something of the innocent charm of the first album running through it. Some people is great and Dear Friend is exceptional. The bonus disk is really low on repeatable listens for me, a real disappointment. Somehow I never got to hear Ireland song (thanks Beeb) so that filled a gap but he must have loads of more vital stuff that never made album versions from that period but perhaps not judging by the tracks included. A puzzle and a wasted opportunity?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2076 on: January 13, 2019, 10:32:46 AM »

Lleuwen - Gwn Glân Beibl Budr

I do love a bit of Welsh psych folk (the Welsh Rare Beat comps for instance are some of my favourite recordings) so I always keep an eye out on what Sain are putting out.  This caught my eye (and I'd seen a bit of talk about it on twitter too).  It really is as good as the advertising blurb makes it sound.  It's got just enough 'darkness' and 'weirdness' around it to keep me fully engaged.  I think her previous recordings are a little 'straighter', but I don't know.

https://sainwales.com/en/store/sain/sain-scd2805

It's on Spotify if you're tempted for a preview.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2077 on: January 13, 2019, 11:55:51 AM »

Anthems To The Wind - Merry Hell
A Single Man - Elton John
Eye of the Zombie - John Fogerty
The Talking Animals - T Bone Burnett

I didn't make any New Year's resolutions but I seem to have spent the first couple of weeks of the year catching up with music I have not heard for maybe 30 years because it has been stored in my collection in inconvenient formats. The last three above are examples of this, as was Stan Ridgway yesterday. I think I might continue with this act of archeology throughout the year.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2078 on: January 13, 2019, 03:45:18 PM »

The reviews at the time had me staying away from this album.  The cover art didn't help either.  What's your verdict, Gub?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2079 on: January 13, 2019, 09:16:11 PM »

The reviews at the time had me staying away from this album.  The cover art didn't help either.  What's your verdict, Gub?

Jules

I was thinking about exactly that while I was listening to it. It was viewed at the time as a hugely disappointing follow up to Centerfield. It is certainly patchy and the 80s production hurts it, which was true of Centerfield too. but there are at least three cracking tunes on it, Knockin On Your Door, Change In The Weather and the gorgeous Sail Away. There are a couple more where classic fogerty riffage is slightly undermined by clunky lyrics. Violence Is Golden has its heart in the right place but its foot in its mouth.

So, not as bad as its reputation but something of a curate's egg.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: