TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 21, 2019, 10:46:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 106   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 169288 times)
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #2040 on: January 04, 2019, 12:57:33 PM »

Kate Rusby  :  Life in a Paper Boat  (Pure Records 2LP, 2017).

I was just listening to that the other day.

But today it's been Led Zep's Houses of the Holy followed by the Stills & Collins cd, Stills' Just Roll Tape and now Manassas.

What do you think of the Stiils/Collins CD? Wondering if it is worth buying.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #2041 on: January 04, 2019, 01:28:47 PM »

'Springsteen on Broadway' Soundtrack album. I found it really interesting - I don't suppose I'd listen to it too often as there's a lot of spoken passages, but it's funny and moving. I must make the effort to watch the Netflix film.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2042 on: January 04, 2019, 01:35:35 PM »

'Springsteen on Broadway' Soundtrack album. I found it really interesting - I don't suppose I'd listen to it too often as there's a lot of spoken passages, but it's funny and moving. I must make the effort to watch the Netflix film.

You probably don't need to if you have heard the album. It is pretty static. Just imagine Bruce in a black T shirt and jeans telling those stories and singing those songs and you have seen the film. I found it, visually, rather a dull experience.

The stories are interesting and entertaining for a single listen but when I ripped the album to ITunes I only included the music.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2043 on: January 04, 2019, 02:38:09 PM »

But today it's been Led Zep's Houses of the Holy followed by the Stills & Collins cd, Stills' Just Roll Tape and now Manassas.

What do you think of the Stiils/Collins CD? Wondering if it is worth buying.

It's not bad on first listen, or second as I had previously listened to some of it on Spotify. Most of the songs are with a backing band. One or two more acoustic numbers would have been nice.

Listen to my folk & acoustic music shows on Mixcloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #2044 on: January 04, 2019, 04:51:29 PM »

Elyse Weinberg - Greasepaint Smile

A 50 year old oddity* I was prompted to purchase after hearing a couple of tracks on Mixcloud. It's not bad, although I think my judgement was clouded by the associated Laurel Canyon mystique. Imagine Melanie backed by Crazy Horse....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGxWHil_zsU

* A description sadly applicable to both the record and its' owner  Roll Eyes

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2045 on: January 04, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »

Hot Burritos! - The Flying Burrito Brothers Anthology

I bought this right after Christmas, having been inspired by the Sweetheart of the Rodeo album and tour.

The anthology collects the first three FBB albums in their entirety and adds singles and rarities.  On first listen, the first album is a loose and low-fidelity affair. It sounds more like demos recorded live in studio than an actual album intended for release.  Bonus - It includes a version of "Dark End of the Street," which I first heard from Richard and Linda Thompson on guitar,vocal.  The second album sounds better and the performances are tighter.  This really benefits from the addition of Bernie Leadon on guitar.  As a bonus, it contains an English-language version of Su Dois Partir.  Wink  I'm still working my way through everything and trying to decide how much I like it.  So far, not nearly as much as SOTR, but I always have to listen to things a few times.

Just finished a double live CD of Robin Trower spanning 1974-1980, entitled "State to State."  Awesome stuff.  It contains the first live versions I've ever heard of songs from "Long Misty Days" and his first album, and generally cooks throughout.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #2046 on: January 04, 2019, 05:35:22 PM »

But today it's been Led Zep's Houses of the Holy

I was going to listen to that earlier but eschewed it in favour of LZ3 and then LZ4. But you can't really go wrong with classic era Zeppelin, 2,3,4, PG and HOTH are similar quality - as long as you skip over the appalling Moby Dick, of course.  Grin
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2047 on: January 05, 2019, 10:59:39 AM »

I bought this right after Christmas, having been inspired by the Sweetheart of the Rodeo album and tour.

The anthology collects the first three FBB albums in their entirety and adds singles and rarities.  On first listen, the first album is a loose and low-fidelity affair. It sounds more like demos recorded live in studio than an actual album intended for release.  Bonus - It includes a version of "Dark End of the Street," which I first heard from Richard and Linda Thompson on guitar,vocal.  The second album sounds better and the performances are tighter.  This really benefits from the addition of Bernie Leadon on guitar.  As a bonus, it contains an English-language version of Su Dois Partir.  Wink  I'm still working my way through everything and trying to decide how much I like it.  So far, not nearly as much as SOTR, but I always have to listen to things a few times.

Forget the low-fidelity, the first album is the best thing the band ever did.  The songwriting partnership of Parsons/Hillman began to fall apart after that, and that's where the magic was.  The second album may sound more polished, but the song quality isn't nearly as good.  And by the third album, Gram was gone, and the band just didn't have aa strong enough personality upfront anymore.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2048 on: January 05, 2019, 11:39:23 AM »

Karine Polwart's Laws of Motion.

Interesting that her long-time backing musicians, brother Steven and Inge Thomson have their names on the front of the cd. I can imagine the conversation - "we play on all your f-ing records but it's just your name on the front! It's no fair." You need to adopt a Scottish accent for that last bit.  Grin

Listen to my folk & acoustic music shows on Mixcloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #2049 on: January 05, 2019, 05:15:35 PM »

Always a good day when Jack White gets together with old pals...

The Raconteurs - Sunday Driver/Now That You're Gone
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2050 on: January 06, 2019, 12:23:20 AM »

Forget the low-fidelity, the first album is the best thing the band ever did.  The songwriting partnership of Parsons/Hillman began to fall apart after that, and that's where the magic was.  The second album may sound more polished, but the song quality isn't nearly as good.  And by the third album, Gram was gone, and the band just didn't have aa strong enough personality upfront anymore.

Jules

I've listened to albums 1 and 2 over again and I agree. Gilded Palace has really strong songs, and is also better produced than I thought on first listen.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #2051 on: January 06, 2019, 02:54:15 PM »

Thought I knew the early Gong catalogue until No.1 son handed me a copy of Dashiell Hedayat's 1971 album "Obsolete".

Featuring Pip Pyle, Bloomdido, Shakti Yoni, Tristian Tritsch & Daevid Alien with appearences by Sam Wyatt (Robert's son, aged 5) & William Burroughs.

If you like old school Gong then this is for you.  Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YBfvPTdMU

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #2052 on: January 06, 2019, 02:59:37 PM »

Guy Garvey playing Who Knows Where The Time Goes on 6 music on acount of it being Sandy's birthday today.

He also played Saturday Sun by Nick Drake earlier and some Buffalo Springfield.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2053 on: January 06, 2019, 03:13:42 PM »

Strawbs early albums on SHM CD.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #2054 on: January 06, 2019, 03:15:34 PM »

Thought I knew the early Gong catalogue until No.1 son handed me a copy of Dashiell Hedayat's 1971 album "Obsolete".

Featuring Pip Pyle, Bloomdido, Shakti Yoni, Tristian Tritsch & Daevid Alien with appearences by Sam Wyatt (Robert's son, aged 5) & William Burroughs.

Awesome ! Thanks Ian and No.1 son.  Cheesy

Well I never did..
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2055 on: January 06, 2019, 03:19:35 PM »

Awesome ! Thanks Ian and No.1 son.  Cheesy

New to me too.  Good work!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2056 on: January 07, 2019, 02:19:27 PM »

King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black. Interesting. Someone is feeding our local second hand record shop with mint (presumably) review copies. Big, veritable slabs of vinyl they are these days. Also picked up Beatles for Sale and Vardis 100 MPH in the sale at the same time.

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2057 on: January 07, 2019, 06:19:40 PM »

King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black. Interesting. Someone is feeding our local second hand record shop with mint (presumably) review copies. Big, veritable slabs of vinyl they are these days. Also picked up Beatles for Sale and Vardis 100 MPH in the sale at the same time.

Interesting?  Interesting?!  INTERESTING?!  The most 'interesting' thing about it is that Starless isn't on it.  But to these cloth ears, it's a work of genius nonetheless...

I used to have 100 MPH on cassette.  Which then got chewed up.  All in all, not very metal of my tape machine.

How much is the charity shop charging?

ps loving that Obsolete Gong thing Ian shared yesterday.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2058 on: January 07, 2019, 08:29:06 PM »

Interesting?  Interesting?!  INTERESTING?!  The most 'interesting' thing about it is that Starless isn't on it.  But to these cloth ears, it's a work of genius nonetheless...

I used to have 100 MPH on cassette.  Which then got chewed up.  All in all, not very metal of my tape machine.

New LPs for around a tenner or, if you combine your Christmas gift vouchers with their half price sale, considerably less.

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2059 on: January 07, 2019, 08:52:05 PM »

New LPs for around a tenner or, if you combine your Christmas gift vouchers with their half price sale, considerably less.

Cripes.  I trust you've given up work and are there in the queue first thing every morning.  Keep us posted.

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 106   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: