TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 11, 2018, 11:49:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 101   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 149672 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »

Lots of Al Stewart in preparation for this evening: Orange, Zero She Flies and Past, Present and Future

Hope you enjoy the gig. 3 fine albums there - esp. Orange.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 04:05:50 PM »

When Wine Was Cheap - Jimmy Smith (ex Gourds singer/songwriter)
50 track compilation of some of his finest songs and outtakes.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 03:53:45 PM »

The Nick Drake individual boxed vinyl LPs I got a few years ago. Pretty definitive.

Also Al Stewart : Russians and Americans  (RCA LP, 1984).
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 04:22:56 PM »

The Unthanks "The Songs & Poems of Molly Drake" (and the extra CD).  I think it's superb and incredibly moving.  A couple of the tracks stop me dead no matter how many times I hear them.  And Gabrielle's reading of her Ma's poetry is jaw dropping....

I'm now listening to something very different...Richard Skelton's latest works (as The Inward Circles) - And Right Lines...and...Scaleby.  Exhausting, but wonderful.  More details here if anyone interested https://acloserlisten.com/2017/04/10/the-inward-circles-and-right-lines-limit-and-close-all-bodies/

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »

The Nick Drake individual boxed vinyl LPs I got a few years ago. Pretty definitive.

Also Al Stewart : Russians and Americans† (RCA LP, 1984).

Russians and Americans was the first of Al's albums I bought when it came out, but it's not one I listen to a lot these days.  There are still some good songs on there, though.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Local Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 10:37:34 AM »

Gearge Martin's 1999 album of his favourites (In My Life, played and sung by friends and heroes of his.

Some real clunkers there, but Sean Connery's In My Life makes me well up, every time.

See What I did Summer 2018  for a selection of my photos.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 10:50:13 AM »

Russians and Americans was the first of Al's albums I bought when it came out, but it's not one I listen to a lot these days. †There are still some good songs on there, though.

I've grown to like it more over time, Will, though i don't think it's one of his strongest albums.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 11:58:22 AM »

Russians and Americans was the first of Al's albums I bought when it came out, but it's not one I listen to a lot these days. †There are still some good songs on there, though.

I've grown to like it more over time, Will, though i don't think it's one of his strongest albums.

Where is a good place to start with Al Stewart? Year of the Cat or Love Chronicles (which I mention because they are the only two that I've heard of) ?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 12:07:12 PM »

Good question...† It depends rather on your taste in general.† YOTC is a good place as the best-known Al album.† I certainly wouldn't start with Love Chronicles - unless you enjoy 18 minute songs about his love life, of course.† Past, Present and Future is one I come back to regularly, as are Orange and Modern Times.

On the other hand, you could go to the other end of his career, and his most recent album, Uncorked, which is an acoustic live album is a pretty good one too.

There are two Original Album packages of five albums available now: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Album-Al-Stewart/dp/B00G040NAM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493118191&sr=8-1&keywords=al+stewart, which contains some very early ones and then YOTC and Time Passages, and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Album-Al-Stewart/dp/B019HVNKRM/ref=pd_bxgy_15_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KKVCB2WFMSGMCGFAKSBC, which has the albums after Time Passages.

I was also going to advise this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orange-Present-Future-Modern-Times/dp/B0001GDRIA/ref=pd_sim_15_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=185DQKNKWRQC17VMN34T, but then I realised the cheapest one on Amazon is £74!

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 12:19:09 PM »

Star Smile Strong. Get In.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 01:08:35 PM »

Yeah, mine arrived yesterday too. No time to listen yet.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »

Where is a good place to start with Al Stewart? Year of the Cat or Love Chronicles (which I mention because they are the only two that I've heard of) ?

I'm not a huge fan or an expert, but I love 'Past, present and future' and would recommend it to anyone.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2017, 02:28:27 PM »

I'm not a huge fan or an expert, but I love 'Past, present and future' and would recommend it to anyone.

Thanks for the recommendations. Most albums appear to be on Spotify so I will try the ones mentioned.
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »

Still waiting for mine, hopefully it'll come this week...
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 05:57:50 PM »

...an unofficial recording of Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman last fall at ACL Live.

Not a great recording, but a great performance.

Noting that they are re-christened "Yes, featuring Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman" for future activities. †I presume this will aid their ticket sales, which were pretty flat in parts of the U.S. under the ARW moniker.
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 08:27:24 PM »

Thea Gilmore 'Rules for Jokers'. I love Thea's work and I'm looking forward to her new album which is due out soon, but I always end up going back to this one, it's such a consistent collection with great songs and great musicianship.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 10:36:33 AM »

Still waiting for mine, hopefully it'll come this week...

And it's here*, just over halfway through - excellent so far, well worth the wait !

* Star Smile Strong, the new album from Ian McNabb, just in case anyone was wondering what we're on about †Smiley
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 03:30:56 PM »

Love Chronicles is confessional, and it depends on whether you like that sort of thing. It's also an early work. Year of the Cat, 1977, †is very user- friendly, has great songs and tunes, and was hugely successful. If you like it, you'll like other of his albums, probably. Time Passages is also excellent. I have all of his albums, and my personal favourite is Orange , 1972.

There are also several cheap AS compilations out there.

And yes, Past Present and Future is a very fine album.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 04:56:24 PM »

Good question...† It depends rather on your taste in general.† YOTC is a good place as the best-known Al album.† I certainly wouldn't start with Love Chronicles - unless you enjoy 18 minute songs about his love life, of course.† Past, Present and Future is one I come back to regularly, as are Orange and Modern Times.

On the other hand, you could go to the other end of his career, and his most recent album, Uncorked, which is an acoustic live album is a pretty good one too.

There are two Original Album packages of five albums available now: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Album-Al-Stewart/dp/B00G040NAM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493118191&sr=8-1&keywords=al+stewart, which contains some very early ones and then YOTC and Time Passages, and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Album-Al-Stewart/dp/B019HVNKRM/ref=pd_bxgy_15_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KKVCB2WFMSGMCGFAKSBC, which has the albums after Time Passages.

I was also going to advise this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orange-Present-Future-Modern-Times/dp/B0001GDRIA/ref=pd_sim_15_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=185DQKNKWRQC17VMN34T, but then I realised the cheapest one on Amazon is £74!

That last one is available for a lot less here...if you're quick....https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/5418965?ev=rb

Meanwhile, I've ordered the first five album set, my Al collection consists entirely of the Time Passages l.p and Year Of The Cat as a single and on a VA comp...so that one is ideal for me.

Well I never did..
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2017, 09:47:13 AM »

Hope you enjoy them!

One reason some people here might enjoy Love Chronicles is because the early Fairport (using interesting noms de plume) backed Al on that album, as well as Jimmy Page.

They also backed him live on various occasions around that time, and on at least one John Peel session from 1968.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 101   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: