TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:44:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matthew Mark Luke and John  (Read 10402 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« on: August 20, 2017, 05:01:03 PM »

I'm a little confused about the authorship of this song.  On the original LP it is listed as being by Dave Swarbrick and Dave Pegg.  So far, so simple.  But, on the new Come all Ye box, the authorship is attributed to Dave Mattacks/Simon Nicol/Dave Pegg/Dave Swarbrick/Fischer Thompson, and it seems as if the same attribution was given to it on the Live at the BBC box (I can't lay my hands on mine to check, just at the moment).

So, anyone have any idea why the change was made, and which is correct (and even if Fischer Thompson is a misspelling of Richard Thompson, or...)?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 02:07:56 PM »

Maybe the original was wrong & the others asked for it to be righted on any reissue?

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 09:20:59 PM »

That's possible.  Although Simon wasn't in the band at the time (and nor was Richard, if that should read Richard, not Fischer).  But the song was also recorded on the Manor sessions, so must have been around a while...

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »

I'll have a check when I get home, but my edition of Rosie (which came in a 25th Anniversary collection from the 1990's that had Rosie, Nine, Babbacombe Lee and Rising For The Moon) I believe had authorship as the Full House lineup, which I always meant that it was a holdover that Pegg and Swarb brought in.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 10:04:54 PM »

Credited to just Dave Pegg in Songbook 2.

Paul

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 10:13:54 PM »

Credited to just Dave Pegg in Songbook 2.

Paul

And to Peggy & Swarb in Wikipedia.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 11:05:59 PM »

I'll have a check when I get home, but my edition of Rosie (which came in a 25th Anniversary collection from the 1990's that had Rosie, Nine, Babbacombe Lee and Rising For The Moon) I believe had authorship as the Full House lineup, which I always meant that it was a holdover that Pegg and Swarb brought in.

I recall Swarb saying that all those additional names were a mistake and that it should be a simple Peggy and Swarb credit.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 09:24:12 AM »

I recall Swarb saying that all those additional names were a mistake and that it should be a simple Peggy and Swarb credit.

Jules

He would, wouldn't he.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 09:30:18 AM »

He would, wouldn't he.

Not any more, he wouldn't.

I have no cause to disbelieve him.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 09:49:46 AM »

He would, wouldn't he.

I have no cause to disbelieve him.

Not any more, no.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »

Whatever its authorship, for me it's the best song on the under-rated Rosie album. Anyone ever heard it played live ?
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 11:15:28 AM »

There are two live versions on the recently issued box set & there's a live version as a bonus track on the re-release of Rosie.

The first couple of times I saw Fairport were in 1973 - the Rosie/Nine line-up - & they played it both times.

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 12:04:58 PM »

It's become a real earworm for me the last few days, since I started listening to the new box.  Maybe that's one that's due a live revival?

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 01:18:09 PM »

I'm a little confused about the authorship of this song.  On the original LP it is listed as being by Dave Swarbrick and Dave Pegg.  So far, so simple.  But, on the new Come all Ye box, the authorship is attributed to Dave Mattacks/Simon Nicol/Dave Pegg/Dave Swarbrick/Fischer Thompson, and it seems as if the same attribution was given to it on the Live at the BBC box (I can't lay my hands on mine to check, just at the moment).
So, anyone have any idea why the change was made, and which is correct (and even if Fischer Thompson is a misspelling of Richard Thompson, or...)?

I can't tell you who wrote it, but I can let you know who's earning the royalties;

[attachment deleted by admin]

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 02:44:50 PM »

That's even odder!  No Swarb or Peggy at all, and where do John Kirkpatrick, Ashley Hutchings and Barry Dransfield come into it?!

That's the original Morris On line-up, isn't it?

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 03:00:22 PM »

Let me say that the PRS shares depend on the writers and composers making sure they check the database and amend anything that isn't right. Most musicians won't even think about doing that so the original registration stands until an amendment is made.
Also many musicians think that because they've written/composed something it automatically appears on the PRS/MCPS database. It doesn't! and you have to also pay the fees required to be a member of the PRS and again to be a member of the MCPS before you get any payments for the songs.

If you have a publisher who looks after the songs they should hoover up any payments then pay a proportion to the writers. Doesn't always happen .....

Jude  Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: