TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:35:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803852 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1660 on: June 27, 2022, 03:11:18 PM »

Don McLean, Paramount Theater, 50th Anniversary of American Pie tour, last night!

Great show. His voice actually improved as the show went on, culminating in a spotless rendition of Roy Orbison's "Crying" (which McLean took to the global charts in 1981), followed by the inevitable "American Pie." In between he played a broad selection of originals and covers, telling stories in between, with a crack band of veteran session players. Other highlights included "Castles in the Sand," "Vincent," "And I Love You So," a medley of "Tulsa Time/Deep in the Heart of Texas" and a stately version of "El Paso" (Marty Robbins cover).

Cross another one off my bucket list.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1661 on: June 27, 2022, 03:52:28 PM »

Don McLean, Paramount Theater, 50th Anniversary of American Pie tour, last night!

Great show. His voice actually improved as the show went on, culminating in a spotless rendition of Roy Orbison's "Crying" (which McLean took to the global charts in 1981), followed by the inevitable "American Pie." In between he played a broad selection of originals and covers, telling stories in between, with a crack band of veteran session players. Other highlights included "Castles in the Sand," "Vincent," "And I Love You So," a medley of "Tulsa Time/Deep in the Heart of Texas" and a stately version of "El Paso" (Marty Robbins cover).

He's great, isn't he? DM for Croppers, please!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1662 on: June 27, 2022, 08:58:45 PM »

He's great, isn't he? DM for Croppers, please!

When Don McLean played the Moseley Festival three years ago, the organisers booked variety performer Don Maclean to come on ahead of him and pretend that it was actually him that was performing. Then the American Don came on stage and for a while both Dons shared the stage. It was utterly inspired.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1663 on: June 28, 2022, 08:21:17 AM »

When Don McLean played the Moseley Festival three years ago, the organisers booked variety performer Don Maclean to come on ahead of him and pretend that it was actually him that was performing. Then the American Don came on stage and for a while both Dons shared the stage. It was utterly inspired.

Jules

Ha ha ha.  Class.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #1664 on: June 29, 2022, 08:52:24 PM »

Finally. last night after 2 years Oysterband with June Tabor at Kingston, Rose Theatre. It was a fantastic concert.  Grin Lovely theatre, the sound was magnificant. Good to see them again especially with June.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #1665 on: July 03, 2022, 12:33:53 PM »

My first post covid concert last Wednesday - Greta van Fleet in Manchester. The band were great but the sound quality was very poor. I've seen a few videos on Youtube since and it sounds OK, so I'm not sure if it was where we were standing was a bad place. I've heard a few other people complain about the sound since.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1666 on: July 04, 2022, 08:37:59 PM »

The Rolling Stones in Hyde Park last night. Quite possibly (probably) the best rock gig I shall ever witness in person. I could go on (and on) about how much they all seemed to be enjoying themselves, the musical interplay twixt Ronnie & Keef, Mick's incredible energy and showmanship, the clear sound, the excellent big screens, how funky Darryl the bassist and Steve the drummer are, and what fine backing musicians and singers they have.  And credit to the staff at BST who were unfailingly cheerful, helpful and polite.

PS - there's an FC link - Matt Clifford on keyboards - played with the Albions & Cathy LeSurf.

Flobbadob!
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1667 on: July 05, 2022, 08:34:06 AM »

Totally agree, they were wonderful. Interesting to compare set lists with the previous week, I reckon there were five changes including a storming Get Off My Cloud to open and a great Like a Rolling Stone. Loved Keef’s “Do not x-ray” t-shirt.

And a great support set from Sam Fender. He is going to be huge.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1668 on: July 05, 2022, 10:32:29 AM »

Best t-shirt award goes to the gent wearing "I'm not your drummer, you're my singer"...

I was slightly disappointed that no mention was made of Brian - with it being Hyde Park an' all, and on the anniversary of his death.

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1669 on: July 05, 2022, 11:43:08 AM »

Best t-shirt award goes to the gent wearing "I'm not your drummer, you're my singer"...

I was slightly disappointed that no mention was made of Brian - with it being Hyde Park an' all, and on the anniversary of his death.

True.  I'd have fully expected them to have at least massacred some more white butterflies...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1670 on: July 11, 2022, 02:25:02 PM »

Duran Duran, Hyde Park. Just fantastic. Really good mix of crowd pleasing classics, album tracks and songs from the new album, Future Past. Stand out moments for me were a storming Hold Back the Rain, guest appearance from Nile Rogers on Notorious and Pressure off, and Tonight United from Future Past (which sounds so much better live). Le Bon in fine voice, and I don’t think that they get enough credit for their musicianship; John Taylor is a world class bassist. They finished the set with Rio, and I went home a happy (but knackered) fan. Big thumbs up to the Hyde Park crew, who were unfailingly happy and helpful.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1671 on: July 11, 2022, 02:40:11 PM »

Duran Duran, Hyde Park. Just fantastic. Really good mix of crowd pleasing classics, album tracks and songs from the new album, Future Past. Stand out moments for me were a storming Hold Back the Rain, guest appearance from Nile Rogers on Notorious and Pressure off, and Tonight United from Future Past (which sounds so much better live). Le Bon in fine voice, and I don’t think that they get enough credit for their musicianship; John Taylor is a world class bassist. They finished the set with Rio, and I went home a happy (but knackered) fan. Big thumbs up to the Hyde Park crew, who were unfailingly happy and helpful.
I've seen them twice (years ago with Warren Cuccurullo and more recently with a female backing singer who "helped" Simon Le Bon with the higher range...  Cheesy)  and found them, as you say, excellent musicians. Could have done without the small contingent of screeching women, off their heads on Lambrusco though!  Roll Eyes

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1672 on: July 11, 2022, 02:53:02 PM »

Graham Coxon didn't make an appearance did he?  He's on the latest album...

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1673 on: July 11, 2022, 03:05:51 PM »

We went to hear the Gigspanner Big Band's Salt Lines show with author Raynor Winn in Ilfracombe on Saturday evening.  I had expected the spoken bits to be a bit more about her journey round the Coast Path, but they were largely more... not quite sure how to say it... airy-fairy?  Discursive thoughts presumably inspired by the coast and the sea.  Not really to our taste.  The music was, of course, sublime.  The second half seemed better than the first, and I wouldn't want to put others off going.  Plenty of people there obviously really enjoyed both words and music.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1674 on: July 12, 2022, 10:56:28 AM »

Graham Coxon didn't make an appearance did he?  He's on the latest album...

Afraid not; just the excellent Dom Brown on lead guitar
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1675 on: July 27, 2022, 02:48:16 PM »

Did anybody go to Truck festival?  See Stornoway?  Why aren't I reading about it, then?

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1676 on: August 05, 2022, 04:14:35 PM »

Went to see the Peatbog Fairies last night at the Band on the wall in Manchester, new line-up includes new drummer, new keyboards/sad player and an extra fiddler/ acoustic guitarist.  Absolutely banging set, as expected, but as I wound my weary way home the poor old feet were murdering me, and have decided that as my 70th birthday approaches I'm not doing any more standing only shows, and deeply regret getting standing tickets for the Saw Doctors later this year.  My mate wants to book for the Dropkick Murphys in January but since that's at  a venue that is all standing in going to give it a miss.  Mosh pits and creaking bones don't make for an awful lot of fun and I've had enough black eyes in them.  Some times you just have to accept you aren't getting any younger.

The Dude abides
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1677 on: August 07, 2022, 08:57:47 PM »

Punch The Sky - jazzy/rocky/rootsy 5-piece from Brum area - played in Victoria Square in said city last Wednesday afternoon - as part of the free Games entertainment - and very entertaining they were, too!  They've toured with Blackbeard's Tea Party in the past...

Flobbadob!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1678 on: August 07, 2022, 10:44:01 PM »

Did anybody go to Truck festival?  See Stornoway?  Why aren't I reading about it, then?

Wait. What? Have they reformed? Tell me everything!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1679 on: August 08, 2022, 08:09:26 AM »

Wait. What? Have they reformed? Tell me everything!

Well, they've played two gigs - Truck (which wasn't billed) and Womad (which was - for last year originally - as a 'one-off').  No idea if there's any legs in it...I do know Brian has a very busy job as Chief Warden at WWT Llanelli and at least one of the band lives abroad.  I just think they're such a lovely band - I'd be glad to know they existed even if very sporadically.

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: