TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:53:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 814853 times)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1600 on: April 18, 2022, 10:19:36 AM »

Two excellent gigs this weekend : Firstly, the mighty Ian McNabb at the Boileroom, Guildford on Friday night. Overjoyed to be out on the road again at last, he played a brilliant career-spanning solo set taking in songs from The Icicle Works via solo albums Merseybeast, Head Like A Rock, Utopian and all points in between.

Secondly, Teenage Fanclub at The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth, last night. The type of gig that really makes you forget all your troubles for a couple of hours. Five ordinary-looking blokes, traditional rock 'n roll instruments and the most glorious up-to 4 part harmonies I'll probably hear all year. They've had a change of personnel since their last visit in 2016, but the unmistakeable sound of the "Fannies" is still intact.
And bespectacled Gibson-wielding Norman Blake has to be one of the sunniest frontmen ever !
This was the fourth time I've seen them, and they still bring joy...
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1601 on: April 18, 2022, 06:21:36 PM »

Sparks at the Camden Roundhouse, last night. Possibly the best gig I’ve ever been to. Absolute pure adrenaline rush from start to end. Where to start? Russell Mael was phenomenal; at 73 his voice was amazing, hitting all the high falsetto notes with ease, and leaping around like a man a quarter of his age. Ron Mael, stony-faced on the keyboards, getting up only to dance during Number One song in heaven. Ably supported by a full band, they played all the big hits as well as some album deep cuts from throughout their long career.  The love and empathy between band and audience was evident. You should leave a gig buzzing; I’m still on a high. I love this band.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1602 on: April 19, 2022, 09:05:07 AM »

Sparks at the Camden Roundhouse, last night. Possibly the best gig I’ve ever been to. Absolute pure adrenaline rush from start to end. Where to start? Russell Mael was phenomenal; at 73 his voice was amazing, hitting all the high falsetto notes with ease, and leaping around like a man a quarter of his age. Ron Mael, stony-faced on the keyboards, getting up only to dance during Number One song in heaven. Ably supported by a full band, they played all the big hits as well as some album deep cuts from throughout their long career.  The love and empathy between band and audience was evident. You should leave a gig buzzing; I’m still on a high. I love this band.
They're definitely on my bucket list!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1603 on: April 20, 2022, 07:42:59 AM »

I’ll go first then! Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets at Oxford last night and it was utterly wonderful. Having heard the CD, I didn’t expect them to start with One of These Days. A shiver went up my spine and stayed there for the rest of the night. Track after track I never thought I would hear played live and then the best left till last - Echoes in all its glory. The last time I heard it played was the Dark Side tour in 74. A superb evening.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1604 on: April 20, 2022, 09:49:22 AM »

I’ll go first then! Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets at Oxford last night and it was utterly wonderful. Having heard the CD, I didn’t expect them to start with One of These Days. A shiver went up my spine and stayed there for the rest of the night. Track after track I never thought I would hear played live and then the best left till last - Echoes in all its glory. The last time I heard it played was the Dark Side tour in 74. A superb evening.

I bought tickets for Bath Forum when the tour was first announced. Then they added the Oxford gig, which would've been a much easier commute. I saw the Roundhouse show that was recorded for the album, and was struck by just how much material they get to play with! I'm so much looking forward to hearing them play Echoes.

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #1605 on: April 20, 2022, 07:18:38 PM »

Ditto everything David says! A fab evening at Oxford that completely exceeded my expectations! Superb playing from everyone involved, complete with a couple of hilarious false starts, which just goes to prove that even the best are only human! Grin Loved the relaxed nature of chats between numbers. I'd never realised just how accomplished a guitarist Gary Kemp is. Great tone courtesy of a couple of old school Hiwatt amps plus pedalboard. Nick Mason played with all the precision & energy of drummers half his age & looked to be loving the return of playing live gigs again! Highly recommended! Smiley  

« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 07:31:02 PM by Glen S » Logged
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1606 on: April 20, 2022, 08:09:18 PM »

They're definitely on my bucket list!

My friend saw them in Manchester and he's a bit of a vintage Sparks gig goer (back to the mid 70's) and he said it's the best he's seen them, not bad for 73 and 75 year old brothers.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #1607 on: April 21, 2022, 07:30:12 AM »

The Young 'uns, Kings Place were fab last night!! David Eagle could win the bad/funny joker competition!!  Grin

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #1608 on: April 21, 2022, 08:51:48 PM »

The Young 'uns, Kings Place were fab last night!! David Eagle could win the bad/funny joker competition!!  Grin

I’m seeing them tomorrow. First time in a theatre, not a festival.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
PJayBe

« Reply #1609 on: April 21, 2022, 10:43:32 PM »

A night of comedy with Mark Thomas last night in Burnley.  Easily the most left wing person I have shared a room with, and I've been around a few.  Side splittingly funny and amazingly true.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1610 on: April 23, 2022, 08:52:42 AM »

I bought tickets for Bath Forum when the tour was first announced. Then they added the Oxford gig, which would've been a much easier commute. I saw the Roundhouse show that was recorded for the album, and was struck by just how much material they get to play with! I'm so much looking forward to hearing them play Echoes.

I saw them in Brum last night. I missed One Of These Days, but I've seen them do that before. I recorded the end part of the show - from Echoes onwards - on my phone..and it came out great. I'm just a little miffed that I knew Echoes was going to be played..it being the Echoes tour and all...because hearing that first ping and not knowing would have blown my mind. Man. The Oxford show is available online for anybody interested in a souvenir.

Well I never did..
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1611 on: April 25, 2022, 08:39:12 PM »

Sea Power at the Albert Hall in Manchester on Saturday. The songs from the new album have already bedded into the set really well and they dusted off a few oldies we've not heard live for a while as well. A really great night.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1612 on: April 29, 2022, 10:43:08 AM »

Flook at the Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal last night. The last time I was there was 3 years ago to see them but this time they played in the theatre rather than the Malt Room.

The set consisted of most of their last studio album Ancora plus a few tunes from earlier albums including the lovely named "Granny in the Attic" from 2002's Rubai. The playing was as brilliant as ever with the between numbers' chat including some childhood memories from Brian from his native NI and a very wet camping holiday as a teenager in the Lake District.

The only negative thing was the overuse of a smoke machine which seemed completely unnecessary. When the music is that good why the need for smoke and fancy lighting?

We saw signs on the motorway that the road was closed further north and the chaps might have an interesting journey from Settle to Carlisle today though hopefully they've cleared the tanker that caused the problems by now.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
PJayBe

« Reply #1613 on: April 29, 2022, 04:56:41 PM »

The amazing Saving Grace in Stockport on Wednesday.  Don't think I've ever seen Robert Plant enjoying himself so much!
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1614 on: April 29, 2022, 07:37:50 PM »

Did he do the gag about “special pants”?
PJayBe

« Reply #1615 on: April 30, 2022, 09:08:11 AM »

Did he do the gag about “special pants”?

Amongst many others, yes!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1616 on: May 02, 2022, 08:28:43 AM »

Oysterband at Gloucester Guildhall last night... just tremendous - lots of energy, good clear (and loud) sound, great rapport with an audience as happy to be out on the road as the band evidently are. And the new songs (none of which I'd heard before) are really strong. A gig to lift the spirits and gladden the heart!  Wink Wink Wink

Flobbadob!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1617 on: May 02, 2022, 12:57:28 PM »

The only negative thing was the overuse of a smoke machine which seemed completely unnecessary. When the music is that good why the need for smoke and fancy lighting?

An update on this - MrsB complained to the venue, copying Flook in, and has had a nice reply from Sarah Allen saying that they hadn't asked for the smoke and lights but the venue decided to go ahead with them anyway. No response from the Brewery Arts Centre.

I see that Karine Polwart and Dave Milligan are playing there on the 14th. I'd love to see them but we're away that weekend. I just hope they don't spoil that gig with their smoke machine.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1618 on: May 04, 2022, 02:18:40 AM »

Sea Power at the Albert Hall in Manchester on Saturday. The songs from the new album have already bedded into the set really well and they dusted off a few oldies we've not heard live for a while as well. A really great night.

My Sue and a girlfriend really enjoyed themselves.  Her only minor negative comment was that they seemed to slightly steamroller through the set as though they were trying to get to the end of the tour as quickly as possible (which given the Covid complications it's encountered is very understandable)...just less of the usual stage communication forthcoming from Yan and co.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1619 on: May 04, 2022, 08:51:37 PM »

The Who: Moody Center, Austin, Texas, May 3, 2022!

Here's a review of the show, to which I can't add very much except to say that it was without question the strongest vocal performance I've ever heard from Roger Daltrey. I think some keys were adjusted downward, but it doesn't change the fact that he sang with power and authority, repeatedly reaching his upper register without faltering. I don't know if he can sustain this level of quality for the length of the tour, but I feel privileged to have witnessed it. (BTW, Pete singled out Roger's performance when they were taking their bows.)

https://www.austin360.com/story/entertainment/music/2022/05/04/who-brings-classic-rock-opera-hits-moody-center-austin/9642978002/
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: