TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:32:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 819465 times)
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1560 on: February 23, 2022, 04:54:50 PM »

Just back in the hotel after a highly charged couple of hours in the company of Van der Graaf Generator at the Bridgewater Hall.  I can't quite believe what I just saw, not least the fact that they encored with Refugees.  I punched the air as it started, and then quietly sobbed.  One of the very best concerts I have ever witnessed.  

Superb weren't they? Always nice to see them back in their spiritual home of Manchester. Refugess was the icing on the cake for me, I've seen them numerous times since the '75 reunion but had pretty much given up hope of ever seeing them play Refugess, so it was worth it for that alone. What a radical overhaul of the setlist compared to the night before in Birmingham, by my reckoning there were only three songs common to both gigs. I'll be seeing them in London tomorrow and Bath on Tuesday so looking forward to seeing how they mix it up there, hopefully one or two more surprises still to come. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Afterwards but that is a real long shot, I don't think they've done that live for at least forty years.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 05:05:05 PM by Col D » Logged
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1561 on: February 23, 2022, 05:17:29 PM »

Just back in the hotel after a highly charged couple of hours in the company of Van der Graaf Generator at the Bridgewater Hall.  I can't quite believe what I just saw, not least the fact that they encored with Refugees.  I punched the air as it started, and then quietly sobbed.  One of the very best concerts I have ever witnessed.  

Superb weren't they? Always nice to see them back in their spiritual home of Manchester. Refugess was the icing on the cake for me, I've seen them numerous times since the '75 reunion but had pretty much given up hope of ever seeing them play Refugess, so it was worth it for that alone. What a radical overhaul of the setlist compared to the night before in Birmingham, by my reckoning there were only three songs common to both gigs. I'll be seeing them in London tomorrow and Bath on Tuesday so looking forward to seeing how they mix it up there, hopefully one or two more surprises still to come. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Afterwards but that is a real long shot, I don't think they've done that live for at least forty years.

Awww, I wish I'd known you were going...would have been nice to say hi.  Not sure I knew you had a VdGG habit tbh.  So jealous of you...aye, the two nights couldn't be more different; we're almost in Grateful Dead territory here.  I will certainly be looking to get a complete set of recordings for the tour.  Post-gig I decided to set myself the task of getting a full PH CD discography.  Then I looked at Discogs and started whimpering on the floor.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1562 on: February 23, 2022, 06:46:10 PM »

I'd assumed no tix were left for the VDGG gigs; however, having read these last few posts, I've managed to nab one for Bath Forum next Tuesday.

Flobbadob!
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #1563 on: February 23, 2022, 07:28:17 PM »

Looking forward to seeing VdGG at the Palladium tomorrow. Despite owning several albums I’ve not seen them live so these reports are very encouraging. It’s my first “big” gig for two years so there’s an added element to add to the anticipation.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1564 on: February 24, 2022, 11:23:31 AM »

I'd assumed no tix were left for the VDGG gigs; however, having read these last few posts, I've managed to nab one for Bath Forum next Tuesday.

Manchester was about half full (maybe two thirds) if truth be told although some of that will of course be ticket holders deciding not to come.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1565 on: February 24, 2022, 11:40:50 AM »

Looking forward to seeing VdGG at the Palladium tomorrow. Despite owning several albums I’ve not seen them live so these reports are very encouraging. It’s my first “big” gig for two years so there’s an added element to add to the anticipation.

Please let us know your feedback, I hope you enjoy as much as I did (and Col and David by the sounds of it).

I posted recently that my music listening was in the doldrums but seeing a bit of live music has reinvigorated me. Admittedly I am listening to VdGG exclusively right now, but I think that's ok in the short term!
DarrenWilliams

« Reply #1566 on: February 24, 2022, 11:53:38 AM »

Manchester was about half full (maybe two thirds) if truth be told although some of that will of course be ticket holders deciding not to come.

I only got my ticket late last year, and I'd say stalls and circle were 90% sold out, but your attendance estimation is about right I think.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1567 on: February 24, 2022, 01:13:29 PM »

Please let us know your feedback, I hope you enjoy as much as I did (and Col and David by the sounds of it).

I posted recently that my music listening was in the doldrums but seeing a bit of live music has reinvigorated me. Admittedly I am listening to VdGG exclusively right now, but I think that's ok in the short term!

I've been told that listening to VdGG was unsustainable if I wanted to maintain the relationship before.... Grin

DarrenWilliams

« Reply #1568 on: February 24, 2022, 02:24:01 PM »

I've been told that listening to VdGG was unsustainable if I wanted to maintain the relationship before.... Grin

Good advice. Noise cancelling headphones required.

(for me, not her....)
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #1569 on: February 25, 2022, 09:33:23 PM »

Glad to say that VdGG were up to my expectations after seeing the reviews here and elsewhere. A great way to restart music going. The setlist was different again, and can be found over on SetlistFM. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/van-der-graaf-generator/2022/london-palladium-london-england-6b884e5e.html

They added Very Bloody Emperor as a song that "has to be played". Hard to pick out the standouts, but Childlike Faith ... was rather fine. Fascinating watching the three of them working together and barely a false step. A shame it took me so long to see them but worth the wait. I was glad I had done a bit of research ahead of time to get a bit of familiarity with the newer stuff.

The Palladium was more or less full in the stalls, I don't know about upstairs.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1570 on: March 01, 2022, 03:25:54 PM »

Review/pics of the London VdGG gig https://organthing.com/2022/03/01/organ-thing-van-der-graaf-generator-being-on-tour-now-is-a-kind-of-miracle-not-just-because-they-started-their-utterly-unique-thing-so-long-ago-but-because-theyre-doing-it-with-as-much-if-not-m/

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1571 on: March 02, 2022, 06:43:50 PM »

VdGG at Bath Forum - excellent! Setlist FM for details. Fairly full front stalls, lots of empty seat at the back, no idea about the circle. There was a film crew doing their thing (the boom camera was a little distracting at times), but they seemed to be concentrating on Peter and to a lesser extent Guy. I don't recall any moments where Hugh seemed to be the focus - pity, as I was fascinated by his foot-pedal work.

Peter's vocals seemed not to be mixed correctly in the first half, but this improved after the intermission.  Perhaps they were clearer in other areas of the Forum.

Couple of chaps talking on the way out were bemoaning the lack of a bass player (for the older songs at least) - I have to say I thought the bottom end was just fine.

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1572 on: March 03, 2022, 08:14:21 AM »

Couple of chaps talking on the way out were bemoaning the lack of a bass player (for the older songs at least) - I have to say I thought the bottom end was just fine.

I bet they were bass players.

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1573 on: March 03, 2022, 11:07:58 AM »

That would be 3 of us then. Almost a heard.

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1574 on: March 03, 2022, 01:37:25 PM »

Peter's vocals seemed not to be mixed correctly in the first half, but this improved after the intermission.  Perhaps they were clearer in other areas of the Forum.

Interestingly a couple of other attendees I've 'spoken' to were falling over themselves to say how good the sound was.  I'll be interested to hear a recording if one turns up - another great setlist.

garrypbrooks

« Reply #1575 on: March 05, 2022, 01:03:57 PM »

I've been to the excellent St Edith's Folk Club at Otford, near Sevenoaks, several times this year. Last night's Gig, headlined by Simon Stanley Ward and the Shadows of Doubt, was a cracker. Bugger all to do with folk music - most of it was more like country-flavoured rock & roll - but hugely enjoyable and went down very well with a decent-sized audience. Well worth seeing.

Support by Les Elvin was also VG.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1576 on: March 10, 2022, 09:26:09 AM »

Tangerine Dream.

Last night.

I had no intention of going and wasn't even aware they were on, but a very kind stranger gave me a ticket they couldn't use.

It was a standing venue so my old bones were tested. I leaned at the bar, not drinking, as I don't do that any more.

It was louder than I expected,  so about right with my ear protection in. It might have been a bit boring but for the 2
screens of moving images behind the group.

I have to admit I rather enjoyed it. Soothing in a way, and a number of people seemed moved to dance a little. They're a trio, 2 guys on keys and synthetic, a lady on violin. No original members, sadly.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1577 on: March 10, 2022, 10:09:44 AM »

Three concerts over the past week:

The Sheepdogs (support: Andrew Cushin) Authentic and highly enjoyable "Southern" rock from a band from Canada. They made Leeds feel like Gainsville, Florida circa 1973. Excellent show. The support performer, Andrew Cushin, is a young singer-songwriter from Newcastle. With a strong voice and well written material, he has bags of potential. His studio work, though, is slowly starting to go down the Brit-rock route which will take him out of my sphere of interest.

Steve Knightley A wonderful and intimate show. Lots of Show Of Hands "deep cuts", a smattering of classics and a few new ones. A truly joyful two hours.

Gang Of Youths (support: Tom A. Smith) Eighties-style rock a la INXS and Simple Minds, with imaginative arrangements and a huge, organic sound featuring some terrific violin and piano. Songs that sound slightly generic on record really soared in the live environment. Tom A. Smith (a mere seventeen years of age), in support, plugged in an electric guitar and served up half an hour of garage rock. Not my thing, necessarily, but he certainly performed well.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1578 on: March 19, 2022, 10:11:20 AM »

Faustus last night at Helmshore Mills Textile Museum. Not the most obvious place for a gig but it turned out they'd played there before in 2019. The acoustics were good but there wasn't any lighting specifically for the band so instead the house lights were left on.

There was one slightly freaky moment when a lightbulb blew during one of the songs from their latest release which is all about the cotton famine of the 1860s. It happened just before the interval so they carried on in semi-darkness!

Out of the three of them I'd only seen Paul Sartin before with B Feast (who I see are calling it a day) but was well impressed with Benji's and Saul's playing and the 3-part harmony singing was excellent.

They've got 2 more dates on this tour - Tweedmouth tonight and Colchester on Monday.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1579 on: March 27, 2022, 10:40:13 AM »

I saw the new Jeff Wayne War of the Worlds show yesterday, in Cardiff. They've added some fancy stage effects and also included a new song ('Life Begins Again') as well as a reprise of 'Forever Autumn' in the second half, where Justin Hayward gets to sing it as duet with Anna Marie Wayne (Jeff's daughter). There's also a piece where 'HG Wells' appears doing a commentary on man and his war mongering tendencies. It was during this that someone in the audience shouted 'Death to Putin'. Very significant, no doubt, but I just found the whole section annoying.

On the positive side, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Claire Richards from Steps (Beth) and Duncan James from Blue (The Artilleryman) both put in very strong performances. It was, on the whole, an entertaining afternoon - I went to the matinee performance - and I'd recommend it.

Note to self - next time you go to the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff, don't buy any of the refreshments - arm and a leg time.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: