TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:26:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803637 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1520 on: November 25, 2021, 10:18:14 AM »

We went to see Jackie Oates and John Spiers at Exeter Phoenix last night.  Having been witness to some of their early off-the-cuff duo performances at Nettlebed Folk Club, where Jackie is one of the residents, and so they'd play a song or two together after the interval before the guests returned, leading up to the release of their album together there at the end of 2019, it was lovely to see them now, on the much delayed official release tour.  This was the first date, and I'd urge anyone who is within reach of one of their other dates (https://www.jackieoates.co.uk/live/) to go along.  Jackie has a beautiful voice, and I'm sure you've all come across John Spiers in one of the many groups he's played with.

One of the challenges I hadn't thought of for musicians who haven't played for so long (and I think this was Jackie's first in-person gig, though John has played with Jon Boden and Gigspanner already), is that Jackie was complaining by the end that her arms were hurting from holding her viola up to play for so long!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1521 on: November 26, 2021, 09:34:23 AM »

The Levellers last night at the re-arranged gig both date and place as the original venue - Lancaster Town Hall - is being used for Covid vaccinations. So we were at the Winter Gardens in Morecambe with their stand-in guitarist posting on Twitter that they were the first band to play there since The Who back in the 70s. I don't think that was quite true as they do put occasional gigs on but they tend to be tribute bands.

Anyway, first up were the Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican who did a great job of warming the crowd up. Unfortunately there was a bit of trouble at the start of The Levellers set. We were standing at the back so couldn't see what was happening but Mark was telling some punter to chill out. When he didn't, Mark asked security to remove him which they duly did. Apart from that, all was well and with it being the 30th anniversary of Levelling the Land we got that album in its entirety. The sound was a bit muddy for the first few numbers but fine for most of the gig. After LtL they played a mix of old favourites along with a few songs from the new album. The encore included Beautiful Day and The Devil Went Down to Georgia which I remember them playing when I first saw them back in 1991.

Unlike the Platform, where Fairport are playing in March, the Winter Gardens had no Covid checks and very few people were wearing masks. A couple of friends decided not to go and I can understand their concerns but hopefully it was a risk worth taking. We were right by the entrance and there was plenty of cold air coming in so fingers crossed we'll be ok.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1522 on: November 26, 2021, 12:35:34 PM »

The other thing worth mentioning about the Levellers' tour is that they have about half a dozen different support bands during the tour so are giving work to as many other musicians as they can.

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1523 on: November 27, 2021, 10:27:39 AM »

I posted an extended version of my review on my blog and the Chair of the Winter Gardens Trust messaged me saying...

"A few things - the venue is Covid compliant & as masks are not legally required & the air ventilation is very good in the WG the promoter did not ask for lateral flow checks as this is not a legal requirement. The Platform is smaller, has less natural ventilation & council owned."

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1524 on: November 29, 2021, 10:08:27 AM »

Went to see Jim Causley doing his 'A Causley Christmas' show in the small church in Sticklepath yesterday (it was the first Sunday in Advent, so just about OK for a Christmas event!).  A lovely event, with a lot of local Devon carols and songs, as well as some from further afield.  Bloomin' cold though - the overhead heaters didn't seem to do a lot, especially as windows were left open as a Covid precaution.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1525 on: November 29, 2021, 01:57:53 PM »

Show of Hands at Cardiff, St David's Hall, last night. Really good gig, Steve and Phil have almost reached 'national treasure' status as far as I'm concerned, but they never rest on their laurels - there's always something different from the last time you saw them. Having said that, the highlights for me were 'Crazy Boy', 'The Keeper' and, inevitably, I suppose, 'Cousin Jack'. As I said elsewhere, this is the first time I've seen them without either Miranda or Cormac. I missed the fuller sound (and Miranda's wonderful voice) but they still didn't disappoint.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1526 on: November 29, 2021, 02:39:11 PM »

Sounds good. We're due to see them at Exmouth Pavilion on Friday night.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1527 on: November 29, 2021, 02:56:22 PM »

James, last Friday in Birmingham, supported by the dreadful Happy Mondays. James were a real joy to see, two hour set, by an expanded 9 piece band including Oysterband's Adrian Oxaal on lead guitar. Top class show, definitely recommended.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1528 on: November 29, 2021, 03:08:24 PM »

James, last Friday in Birmingham, supported by the dreadful Happy Mondays. James were a real joy to see, two hour set, by an expanded 9 piece band including Oysterband's Adrian Oxaal on lead guitar. Top class show, definitely recommended.

Amusingly, I was just reading elsewhere that the Mondays were "fab" and James "so annoying I left after half an hour".  Opinions, opinions  Wink Grin  Incidentally, James are playing in Rhyl or all godforsaken places next Summer (supported by the Lightening Seeds) and we were wondering what they were like these days...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1529 on: November 30, 2021, 10:16:09 AM »

As they say, "there's no accounting for taste" :-)
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1530 on: November 30, 2021, 02:23:54 PM »

Going to see James in Manchester on Friday. My wife is much more into them than me, but I've seen them a couple of times before and they've always been good value.

Intrigued to see Happy Mondays, good or bad, just so I can say I've seen them. Only really know a couple of songs, Step On and erm, another one...
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1531 on: December 03, 2021, 04:25:04 PM »

Three Dog Night, Paramount Theater, Austin, Texas, last night!

We're down to One Dog now, from the original 7-piece band. Danny Hutton (lead vocalist on "Black and White" and "Liar") was the only original member on stage. Guitarist Michael Allsup was absent and not mentioned. Everyone else has quit, was fired, or has passed on. Sad

It was actually a terrific show. The songs, needless to say, are timeless. At 79, Hutton still has a powerful voice, and the three-, four-, and five-part harmonies were flawless. The late Cory Wells was replaced by a journeyman singer named David Morgan, who was great (and looks vaguely like Chuck Negron, to boot). Some of Negron's songs were sung ably by long-time guitarist Paul Kingery, who is their secret weapon, to my ears. A thoroughly enjoyable evening, if not an entirely authentic one. Smiley

This inspired me to seek out Chuck Negron's schedule with the Turtles "Happy Together" tour, and I was gravely disappointed to see his name has been removed from the list of participants. He is 79 and suffers from COPD, so I am uncertain whether I will ever get to see him in the flesh. Sad
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1532 on: December 09, 2021, 12:25:03 PM »

St Agnes Fountain last night at The Acapela, Pentyrch, with my daughter, Rachel. This was the first time they've toured as a trio and although I missed David Hughes' contributions, they were superb. Plenty of stuff from their new CD was in evidence - and mighty good it sounded as well. It was nice to bump into Bridget and Andy of this parish, too. Christmas is definitely on its way!

Peter Allen

« Reply #1533 on: December 09, 2021, 12:37:49 PM »

St Agnes Fountain last night at The Acapela, Pentyrch, with my daughter, Rachel. This was the first time they've toured as a trio and although I missed David Hughes' contributions, they were superb. Plenty of stuff from their new CD was in evidence - and mighty good it sounded as well. It was nice to bump into Bridget and Andy of this parish, too. Christmas is definitely on its way!

Mick , did the Aggies circulate at the end of the concert or make themselves scarce ...I guess the days of having a chat or a quick  CD signing are over , too much risk even with masks on ?
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1534 on: December 09, 2021, 12:55:25 PM »

They actually announced from the stage just before the interval that they wouldn't be doing it and hoped everybody would understand

mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1535 on: December 09, 2021, 01:02:15 PM »

Incidentally, along with a copy of the new album, I bought an 'E.P' from 1998, which I wasn't familiar with - David Hughes and Chris Leslie performing 6 Christmas songs. I wonder if this was what prompted them to form St Agnes Fountain in the first place. I've only had a chance to listen to the opening track so far (God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen) which sounds almost note for note like the Aggies version from their debut album. This might be stuff that people are already well aware of, but it was new to me.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1536 on: December 09, 2021, 01:09:41 PM »

Having not been to an indoor gig since the pandemic started, we finally ventured out last night. one of my ex (pre retirement) clients was playing, as a long time member of Honey Ryder, at St Lawrence Church Biddulph. it was only their second gig of the year and they were excellent. I can safely say none of my other clients ever had top 40 hits!! Although I did have several famous ones.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1537 on: December 09, 2021, 01:19:43 PM »

Having not been to an indoor gig since the pandemic started, we finally ventured out last night. one of my ex (pre retirement) clients was playing, as a long time member of Honey Ryder, at St Lawrence Church Biddulph. it was only their second gig of the year and they were excellent. I can safely say none of my other clients ever had top 40 hits!! Although I did have several famous ones.

What was your profession then, Nick?  I've always assumed stand up comedian from your picture...  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1538 on: December 09, 2021, 02:25:40 PM »

I can echo this - what a fabulous night! Humour, warmth and those wonderful harmonies. I could listen to them sing all day (and I will as I have also bought the new album Smiley )

Christmas doesn't really start until you've seen the Aggies  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1539 on: December 09, 2021, 02:39:26 PM »

What was your profession then, Nick?  I've always assumed stand up comedian from your picture...  Smiley

Chartered Accountant , although my practice was Chartered Certified. The picture was from when I was standing as a director of Port Vale (it was that funny). I did the fit and proper test . Are you a good boy? Yes. You're OK then.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: