TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:56:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803758 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1480 on: October 17, 2021, 11:47:58 AM »

Rioghnach Connolly at the Lancaster Music Festival last night. First time I'd seen her and wow, what a voice! She did a stunning version of Black is the Colour. I was hoping she would sing Now Westlin Winds which she did but unfortunately her vocals were too loud which spoiled it a bit. Apart from that the sound was fine. She played some nice flute solos as well which fitted in perfectly with her guitar & piano accompaniment.

She headlined a day of music at Lancaster Priory and we caught the performer on before her - a Ugandan musician and singer called Seby Ntege. He played kora and thumb piano and had the guitarist from his band with him.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1481 on: October 17, 2021, 12:31:46 PM »

Lindisfarne at Porthcawl last night. Last time I saw them was on their 2003 'farewell tour'.... Only Rod Clements remains from the original line up, but Dave Hull-Denholm and Ian Thomson joined the band in the early 1990s and have worked together as 'The Alan Hull Songbook'. Steve Daggett's association with Lindisfarne goes back to the 1980s, when he not only produced their 'Dance Your Life Away' album, but toured with them as an extra keyboard player, so they have the credentials, I suppose. Only new drummer Paul Smith was an unknown to me.

The concert, which was originally scheduled for March 2020, had been postponed twice, so it was good to finally get to see them. From the opener 'No Time to Lose' (a personal favourite) to the inevitable closer 'Clear White Light' it was a triumph. Rod Clements, although admitting he's 'not a proper singer' confirmed what a fantastic musician he is, with mandolin, guitars and fiddle being played with equal aplomb. However, Dave Hull-Denholm stole the show with his renditions of his late father-in-law's songs throughout the evening.  All in all a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1482 on: October 17, 2021, 04:21:50 PM »

Lindisfarne at Porthcawl last night. Last time I saw them was on their 2003 'farewell tour'.... Only Rod Clements remains from the original line up, but Dave Hull-Denholm and Ian Thomson joined the band in the early 1990s and have worked together as 'The Alan Hull Songbook'. Steve Daggett's association with Lindisfarne goes back to the 1980s, when he not only produced their 'Dance Your Life Away' album, but toured with them as an extra keyboard player, so they have the credentials, I suppose. Only new drummer Paul Smith was an unknown to me.

The concert, which was originally scheduled for March 2020, had been postponed twice, so it was good to finally get to see them. From the opener 'No Time to Lose' (a personal favourite) to the inevitable closer 'Clear White Light' it was a triumph. Rod Clements, although admitting he's 'not a proper singer' confirmed what a fantastic musician he is, with mandolin, guitars and fiddle being played with equal aplomb. However, Dave Hull-Denholm stole the show with his renditions of his late father-in-law's songs throughout the evening.  All in all a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Paul Thompson of Roxy Music fame had been drumming for Lindisfarne for seven or eight years. Very good he was too. Sad to see him go.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1483 on: October 17, 2021, 04:48:02 PM »

Paul Thompson of Roxy Music fame had been drumming for Lindisfarne for seven or eight years. Very good he was too. Sad to see him go.

"The Great Paul Thompson", let's have it right😎

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1484 on: October 17, 2021, 04:57:03 PM »

I remember thinking this was a really odd mix as Paul's such a 'heavy' drummer, but from friends who saw them, they said it was a good match.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1485 on: October 17, 2021, 05:03:36 PM »

The Men They Couldn’t Hang tonight, first gig since Cush passed away. Despite some sound problems, they were brilliant, different set list but lots of respect to Cush. Bobby Balentino played guitar on a couple, and Paul Simmonds played Cush’s Fender at times. Quite emotional.

Balentino or Valentino?
Bobby V was the pencil moustachio'd fiddler from the Fab Poodles , the Bluebells and many many more over the years

* fabulous-poodles-11028148.jpg (152.89 KB, 1068x1300 - viewed 687 times.)

The Dude abides
wayne stote

« Reply #1486 on: October 17, 2021, 05:12:49 PM »

The Men They Couldn’t Hang tonight, first gig since Cush passed away. Despite some sound problems, they were brilliant, different set list but lots of respect to Cush. Bobby Balentino played guitar on a couple, and Paul Simmonds played Cush’s Fender at times. Quite emotional.

Balentino or Valentino?
Bobby V was the pencil moustachio'd fiddler from the Fab Poodles , the Bluebells and many many more over the years

I'm sure Valentino will be the fellow. He's been part of the Men They Couldn't Hang family for decades.
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1487 on: October 17, 2021, 05:21:41 PM »

Wasn't he also in the fabulous Hank Wangford Band?

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1488 on: October 17, 2021, 05:57:51 PM »

BV played fiddle with the fabulous Electric Bluebirds, on disc & at Cropredy & turned up on a Tom Petty track on a BBC In Concert programme.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1489 on: October 17, 2021, 06:46:52 PM »

My bad - B and V next to each other on keypad.
wayne stote

« Reply #1490 on: October 18, 2021, 11:22:20 PM »

Fair point!  Cheesy
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1491 on: October 21, 2021, 05:30:45 PM »

Doobie Brothers 50th Anniversary Tour feat. Michael McDonald, October 19 at the Toyota Music Factory in Irving, Texas!

This was my first time in this very new venue in north Texas, just outside Dallas. The reserved seats are fully enclosed and covered, but it opens to a small grassy area for general admission seating. The sound was okay, the giant video screens were welcome, and the viewing angles were awful for Mrs. J From A (who couldn't see over the guy seated right in front of her).

They played a 2 1/2 hour, 29-song set, which is the longest show they've played since the first farewell tour in 1982. Pat Simmons and Michael McD each sang 7 songs, Tom Johnston sang 13, and they teamed up on several songs. Their 1989-2000 albums were not represented at all, but they played 2 great new songs. Here are the full statistics:

The Doobie Brothers (1971) - Nobody
Toulouse Street (1972) - Listen to the Music, Rockin' Down the Highway, Jesus is Just Alright
The Captain and Me (1973) - China Grove, Long Train Runnin', South City Midnight Lady, Dark-Eyed Cajun Woman, Clear as the Driven Snow, Without You, Ukiah
What Were Once Vices are Now Habits (1974) - Black Water, Spirit, Eyes of Silver
Stampede (1975) - Take Me in Your Arms, Sweet Maxine, Neal's Fandango
Takin' it to the Streets (1976) - Takin' it to the Streets, It Keeps You Runnin', Wheels of Fortune
Livin' on the Fault Line (1977) - You Belong to Me
Minute By Minute (1978) - Here to Love You, Dependin' on You, Minute By Minute, What A Fool Believes
One Step Closer (1980) - Real Love
Cycles (1989) - Nothing
Brotherhood (1991) - Nothing
Sibling Rivalry (2000) - Nothing
World Gone Crazy (2010) - World Gone Crazy
Liberte (2021) - Better Days, Don't Ya Mess With Me
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1492 on: October 22, 2021, 10:46:06 AM »

Wow! I bet that was amazing John!  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1493 on: October 23, 2021, 10:18:04 PM »

Just back from seeing Steeleye Span at Pontardawe. An excellent concert. Maddie's voice sounded a bit croaky at first, but strangely it seemed to improve as the night progressed. Nice to hear one or two songs I haven't heard in a while, including the opener 'Little Sir Hugh'. One thing that puzzled me  though, was the absence of Benji Kirkpatrick. It wasn't mentioned by anyone on stage and I had to leave quickly, so I don't know if the band came out to talk, as they often do. I had a look online and I couldn't see anything about it. No doubt it will be addressed. Anyway, a great night.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1494 on: October 23, 2021, 10:49:24 PM »

Just back from seeing Steeleye Span at Pontardawe. An excellent concert. Maddie's voice sounded a bit croaky at first, but strangely it seemed to improve as the night progressed. Nice to hear one or two songs I haven't heard in a while, including the opener 'Little Sir Hugh'. One thing that puzzled me  though, was the absence of Benji Kirkpatrick. It wasn't mentioned by anyone on stage and I had to leave quickly, so I don't know if the band came out to talk, as they often do. I had a look online and I couldn't see anything about it. No doubt it will be addressed. Anyway, a great night.
Last time I saw Benji was with Seth Lakeman at Shrewsbury Festival on the August Bank Holiday. Perhaps he's still touring with Seth?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1495 on: October 25, 2021, 09:59:24 AM »

Hue & Cry at Acapela Studios Saturday. Mike's first gig so he was a bit apprehensive, but no need. Virtually everyone wore a mask when walking around and there was a great atmosphere generally - you could see how pleased everyone was to be back at a live music event. Pat & Greg put on a great show and sang all the hits plus lots of album tracks and a few new ones. I'm not a huge fan but their musicianship is without question.

It's anticipated that covid rates will decrease in the coming weeks so that's a real positive IMHO and bodes well for the 4 more gigs we have at Acapela in the next 7 weeks!

https://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/covid-19/forecasting/

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1496 on: October 25, 2021, 10:05:28 AM »

It's anticipated that covid rates will decrease in the coming weeks

By whom?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1497 on: October 25, 2021, 10:58:34 AM »

By whom?
Daily Telegraph reporting that cases will be down to 5000 a day by Christmas according to a report seen by Ministers.
I’ll believe it when it happens!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1498 on: October 25, 2021, 11:13:38 AM »

By whom?
Daily Telegraph reporting that cases will be down to 5000 a day by Christmas according to a report seen by Ministers.
I’ll believe it when it happens!

I think I'll listen to the scientists, who seem to be saying the exact opposite, at least in the short term.

Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1499 on: October 28, 2021, 11:26:11 PM »

Billy Bragg tonight at the Symphony Hall in Birmingham. Beautiful thought provoking show. Much less of the firebrand stuff, but no less impactful. Mostly played on semi acoustic Gibson. New songs sounded perfect for the time we’ve been through. Catch him if you can - good medicine.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: