TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:26:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803583 times)
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1460 on: September 25, 2021, 08:45:07 AM »

Elbow at Portsmouth Guildhall last night.
Thoroughly enjoyable.
Great support from Jesca Hoop and Peter Jobson (Ex I Am Kloot)

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #1461 on: September 27, 2021, 07:54:53 PM »

The Hoy at Anchor Folk Club's 50th Anniversary was last Saturday after a full day of singing from local artists. The evening concert was....

Jez Lowe, amazingly funny, brilliantly talented to kick off the evening. He was excellent especially his hilarious song 'Talk to me dirty in Geordie'  Grin Grin

Local band Arfur Doo and the Toerags. Lively, entertaining and fun from this band who perform some instrumentals with a folkie mix of songs. Outstanding performance they do of 'Alison Gross' with the bass player lead vocal.

Martin Carthy whose voice was not very strong but the guitar chords with some tuning up  Roll Eyes was still there. He did seem frail. He did mention Eliza's foot injury and bronchitis.

Granny's Attic headlined with a fabulous fitting end to a great evening. It was good to be back at an indoor live venue.

Here's to the next 50 years if we get more 'folkies along'!!  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1462 on: September 28, 2021, 09:13:21 AM »

That sounds like a wonderful evening!  Interesting that you have Jez Lowe and Martin Carthy on the bill, and that the headliners are Granny's Attic, when either of those would seem like the bigger names!  I guess that it is a good sign for the new generation though.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1463 on: September 28, 2021, 09:23:00 AM »

That sounds like a wonderful evening!  Interesting that you have Jez Lowe and Martin Carthy on the bill, and that the headliners are Granny's Attic, when either of those would seem like the bigger names!  I guess that it is a good sign for the new generation though.

I suspect it's more to do with 'tempo' and 'entertainment'.  You know, listen up early, get pissed and end up having a good ol' dance at the end kind of thing...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #1464 on: September 28, 2021, 08:20:50 PM »

I suspect it's more to do with 'tempo' and 'entertainment'.  You know, listen up early, get pissed and end up having a good ol' dance at the end kind of thing...

Jez wasn't able to hang around and needed to get driving back up north east. The average age of the club is 70 something so more like finish off with a rousing act to wake you all up!  Grin Unfortunately/sadly Carthy would not have made a good headliner!  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Cool Cat
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #1465 on: October 06, 2021, 07:55:01 PM »

Steve Hackett at Guildford last night. Hearing the band play the whole of 'Seconds Out' was amazing. Could believe I was a teenager again sitting in a field in Knebworth.

How the band can produce such a performance each night of their tour is very impressive.  I didn't get the names of the rest of the band but they were extremely proficient. The vocalist was awesome
 Great to hear some extended solos from Hackett, then the drummer had his turn.  An occasion which certainly merited the standing ovation.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1466 on: October 06, 2021, 08:47:56 PM »

Liam O’ Maonlai last night in Sheffield, sublime, extraordinary.

Only the third night of his UK tour - no excuses.
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1467 on: October 07, 2021, 12:04:28 PM »

Saw Liam in Birmingham on Monday, agree - he was sublime. Did he play with Whitesail in Sheffield?  They did a great job backing him on Monday.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1468 on: October 07, 2021, 02:47:51 PM »

Saw Liam in Birmingham on Monday, agree - he was sublime. Did he play with Whitesail in Sheffield?  They did a great job backing him on Monday.

Yes, I believe they are doing the whole tour with him.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1469 on: October 07, 2021, 09:45:38 PM »

Spiers and Boden were on form at the Wedgewood Rooms last night. Obviously happy to be on the road and back together.

Paul

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1470 on: October 09, 2021, 08:48:48 PM »

Well. I'm at an actual gig! Am sat in a venue, watching real people play real instruments.

The last indoor, live-band gig I went to was Jon Boden, in November 2019; almost two years ago. It's fitting to break the silence then, with a Spiers and Boden gig at Cecil Sharp House.

It's all rather wonderful, really.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1471 on: October 09, 2021, 09:31:05 PM »

Another night at the Wedgewood Rooms watching the bundle of energy that is Grace Petrie. On top form, and elated from having got her new album in the top 40 between Michael Jackson and Oasis. He had lots of choice words to say about various subjects. Credit also to her fiddle player Ben, who supported her admirably, and did one of his own songs.

Who was it invented a watch that you can wave at a merchandising stall, and they give you t-shirts and CDs. Wink Smiley

Paul

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1472 on: October 10, 2021, 01:54:52 PM »

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis at The King’s Theatre, Portsmouth.
A stunningly good performance based mainly on Cave and Ellis’s “Carnage” and Cave’s “Ghosteen” albums with a few old favourites thrown in.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1473 on: October 10, 2021, 11:32:28 PM »

Just back from seeing Thea Gilmore at The Acapela, Pentyrch (near Cardiff). Excellent show - her new 'Afterlight' material sounds a lot like Thea Gilmore (who'da thought it?) Grin  She hasn't lost her sense of humour: after playing a track from her new album, she said 'Don't worry, it won't all be grumpy new stuff, I've got lots of grumpy old stuff, too!'  Great evening

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1474 on: October 13, 2021, 07:56:27 PM »

Roger Taylor, at the O2 Bournemouth last night. Absolutely blew me away! A fantastic mix of his solo stuff, and some popular (and more obscure) Queen numbers. He was accompanied by a really tight band, and pleased to say his voice hasn’t changed a bit. Highlights for me included Strange Frontier and Man on Fire from his solo albums, an emotional Under Pressure and Tenement Funster from the Queen catalogue, and an excellent version of Bowie’s Heroes as an encore. He played a fair few songs from his new record, which sounded great on first listen. An absolute childhood rock hero, playing two miles from my home was just perfect!
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1475 on: October 17, 2021, 12:53:56 AM »

The Men They Couldn’t Hang tonight, first gig since Cush passed away. Despite some sound problems, they were brilliant, different set list but lots of respect to Cush. Bobby Balentino played guitar on a couple, and Paul Simmonds played Cush’s Fender at times. Quite emotional.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1476 on: October 17, 2021, 07:52:44 AM »

Caravan at The Met, Bury last night. One of my favourite venues. During the interval I bumped into an old school friend who I haven't seen since the mid 90s so we had a quick catch up and swapped numbers. Caravan were excellent, playing most of the Grey and Pink album. The new rhythm section of Mark Walker and Lee Pomeroy were very energetic and looked to be enjoying themselves. I was also really impressed with Jan Schelaas on keys. I was surprised at how heavy they were eg at the end bits of For Richard and 9 Feet Underground. I've been listening to Caravan for years but this was my first time seeing them live - better late than never...
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1477 on: October 17, 2021, 10:16:53 AM »

Caravan at The Met, Bury last night. One of my favourite venues. During the interval I bumped into an old school friend who I haven't seen since the mid 90s so we had a quick catch up and swapped numbers. Caravan were excellent, playing most of the Grey and Pink album. The new rhythm section of Mark Walker and Lee Pomeroy were very energetic and looked to be enjoying themselves. I was also really impressed with Jan Schelaas on keys. I was surprised at how heavy they were eg at the end bits of For Richard and 9 Feet Underground. I've been listening to Caravan for years but this was my first time seeing them live - better late than never...

Glad you enjoyed, Darren...practical questions: was there any support, and approx how long did Caravan play...2 sets or 1?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1478 on: October 17, 2021, 10:28:06 AM »

The Men They Couldn’t Hang tonight, first gig since Cush passed away. Despite some sound problems, they were brilliant, different set list but lots of respect to Cush. Bobby Balentino played guitar on a couple, and Paul Simmonds played Cush’s Fender at times. Quite emotional.

I'm a big fan of Cush but I'm glad they've decided to keep going.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1479 on: October 17, 2021, 11:24:07 AM »

Glad you enjoyed, Darren...practical questions: was there any support, and approx how long did Caravan play...2 sets or 1?

No support, started at 8 finished 1030 with 20ish minute interval. Enjoy  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: