TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:49:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803381 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1440 on: September 08, 2021, 02:39:41 PM »

Ooh, no I didn't catch them, sounds like I should investigate further...

There's a couple of eps and a live album

https://www.discogs.com/TCI-Great-Aspirations/release/11089443

(you can still get the ep with a signed postcard from Burning Shed...only a tenner - bargain)

https://www.discogs.com/TCI-Naked-Flames-Live-At-Swindon-Arts-Centre/release/14006540 (now hard to find apparently)

and don't forget Colin's recent release https://burningshed.com/colin-moulding_the-hardest-battle_cd?filter_name=colin%20moulding&filter_sub_category=true

Sorry to rub it in, but the gigs were really rather special.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1441 on: September 09, 2021, 10:14:30 AM »

EXTC at The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth last night.

A "semi" tribute band (in the way that From The Jam has Bruce Foxton in their lineup, EXTC has XTC drummer Terry Chambers in theirs) that tours with the blessing of the other former members, they played two excellent sets of XTC's finest.

They've got a couple more dates, including The 100 Club and The Isle Of Wight Festival, but such has been the demand to hear live XTC music, they're putting together a bigger tour for next year. Highly recommended if the boys from Swindon are your thing.

One more post about EXTC - here's a (glowing) review of the gig :

https://www.xtclimelight.com/2021/09/09/review-extc-live-in-portsmouth/
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1442 on: September 12, 2021, 02:13:12 PM »

Robyn Hitchcock, in the unlikely environ of The Ipswich Transport Museum. They literally drove a couple of buses out of the doors, set up a small stage and a pop up bar and did the show right there in the shed. Took a couple of songs to calm down the sound, but a lengthy set ensued to a large (for Ippo) and appreciative audience, grateful for the space to give each other room.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/robyn-hitchcock/2021/ipswich-transport-museum-ipswich-england-338c7c95.html

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #1443 on: September 15, 2021, 11:43:32 PM »

Robyn Hitchcock, in the unlikely environ of The Ipswich Transport Museum. They literally drove a couple of buses out of the doors, set up a small stage and a pop up bar and did the show right there in the shed. Took a couple of songs to calm down the sound, but a lengthy set ensued to a large (for Ippo) and appreciative audience, grateful for the space to give each other room.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/robyn-hitchcock/2021/ipswich-transport-museum-ipswich-england-338c7c95.html
just booked to see him in Morecambe, I have never seen him before. I was a choice between Robyn and Justin Sullivan in Blackpool, and although I loved Justin’s last album I need cheering up, so I think I’ve made the right choice.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1444 on: September 16, 2021, 04:06:33 PM »

Eric Clapton with opener Jimmie Vaughan, last night, Frank Erwin Center!

No politics. A huge crowd (about 13,000) at what will undoubtedly be his final performance in Austin, Texas. The sound was surprisingly good for the cavernous basketball arena. The crowd was enthusiastic but respectful of the artist and their fellow concertgoers. A great finale for my 38-year odyssey with Eric Clapton:

2/13/1983 - EC and Ry Cooder, Frank Erwin Center
11/28/1983 - ARMS concert, Reunion Arena, Dallas (EC, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page et al)
9/1/1988 - EC with Mark Knopfler, Starplex, Dallas
4/25/1990 - EC, Reunion Arena, Dallas
[During this 17-year stretch, his ticket prices soared and availability plummeted.]
2/28/2007 - EC and Robert Cray, American Airlines Ctr, Dallas
6/24/2009 - EC and Steve Winwood, Toyota Ctr, Houston
3/17/2013 - EC and The Wallflowers, Frank Erwin Center
9/15/2017 - EC, Gary Clark Jr. and Jimmie Vaughan, The Forum, Inglewood
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1445 on: September 16, 2021, 07:02:04 PM »

That's a few more times than I've seen EC. First time for me was the Behind The Sun tour with Chris Rea supporting then a few years later in London at the Albert Hall, one with his own band and the other a blues night with Robert Cray and Buddy Guy.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1446 on: September 17, 2021, 08:38:06 AM »

An excellent gig from Steve Harley’s Acoustic Band at the Alexandra Theatre in Bognor Regis.
Some superb musicianship including, on guitar, David Delarre, who used to grace these very pages.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1447 on: September 19, 2021, 10:39:09 AM »

A wonderful day at Martyn Joseph’s Pipefest at Lancaster University. Martyn introducing his new album and on splendid form, along with Chris While/Julie Matthews, Luke Jackson and Grace Petrie. So good to be in a room singing along and feeling part of a community. It is always a lovely day with a strong sense of togetherness but this was the best yet.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1448 on: September 19, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »

A wonderful day at Martyn Joseph’s Pipefest at Lancaster University. Martyn introducing his new album and on splendid form, along with Chris While/Julie Matthews, Luke Jackson and Grace Petrie. So good to be in a room singing along and feeling part of a community. It is always a lovely day with a strong sense of togetherness but this was the best yet.

Sounds good. I've yet to make it to Pipefest. TBH I hadn't heard anything about it this year - guess I must have slipped off the mailing list. I'm assuming it's still the Image Acoustic folk who are running it?

But we were supposed to have been going away yesterday so wouldn't have bought tickets. As it turns out we had to delay our departure by 24 hours due to our AirBnB being cancelled at the last minute.

Ah well, maybe next year.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
David V B

« Reply #1449 on: September 19, 2021, 04:23:34 PM »

Yes, same organisers, though numbers were heavily reduced this year for obvious reasons (only 82 there with some dry offs this week). Suspect most will have been carried over from last year.
David V B

« Reply #1450 on: September 20, 2021, 08:42:19 AM »

Cry offs not dry offs!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1451 on: September 20, 2021, 10:25:51 AM »

An unbelievably good Steve Hackett and his band Friday in Cardiff. I'm still buzzing from it. So good to get back to live music and for it to be Steve and his amazing band, who were thoroughly enjoying themselves   Smiley Smiley Smiley

Set List

Clocks - The Angel of Mons
Held in the Shadows
Every Day
The Devil's Cathedral
Shadow of the Hierophant
Seconds Out
Squonk
The Carpet Crawlers
Robbery, Assault & Battery
Afterglow
Firth of Fifth
I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
The Musical Box
Supper's Ready
The Cinema Show
Dance on a Volcano
Los Endos

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1452 on: September 20, 2021, 10:36:21 AM »

Sounds great, Bridg!  Would have loved to experience that (though given his previous track record, there will be a live CD/DVD package coming out after the tour, so maybe I will!).  And hopefully we'll get at least some of that at Cropredy next summer.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1453 on: September 20, 2021, 11:41:19 AM »

Sounds great, Bridg!  Would have loved to experience that (though given his previous track record, there will be a live CD/DVD package coming out after the tour, so maybe I will!).  And hopefully we'll get at least some of that at Cropredy next summer.
Highly likely we'll get most of it at Cropredy Will! They really were on fire - apart from a shakey start from Nad on Carpet Crawlers the band were incredible  Cheesy

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1454 on: September 23, 2021, 08:58:05 AM »

Well, Eliza didn't turn up - chest infection, apparently, but the 80 year old Martin Carthy did put in an appearance last night - the first in-person gig for me for 18 months!  Apart from his voice sounding a little less strong than in the past (could be age, could be lack of use over the last 18 months, probably a mix of both), and a few memory lapses over lyrics and names, you'd never believe he was that old.  We got a good mix of songs, including the highlight for me of his updated version of My Son John (as recorded by him with the Imagined Village).

Still, one can't help but wonder how much longer he'll be able to keep going.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Metro96 (Keith)
Do I look like a padre?

Loc: Adjacent to the Saddleworth villages.

My Friend there is always time for beer!

« Reply #1455 on: September 23, 2021, 04:35:56 PM »

An unbelievably good Steve Hackett and his band Friday in Cardiff. I'm still buzzing from it. So good to get back to live music and for it to be Steve and his amazing band, who were thoroughly enjoying themselves

I'm going to see him and the band in Manchester tomorrow.
Really looking forward to it now.

Pwll peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda.
một pint của đắng xin
ไพน์ของขมโปรด
en halvliter øl vennligst
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1456 on: September 24, 2021, 11:07:41 AM »

An unbelievably good Steve Hackett and his band Friday in Cardiff. I'm still buzzing from it. So good to get back to live music and for it to be Steve and his amazing band, who were thoroughly enjoying themselves

I'm going to see him and the band in Manchester tomorrow.
Really looking forward to it now.
You'll have a great evening Keith!

Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #1457 on: September 24, 2021, 03:16:40 PM »

Well, Eliza didn't turn up - chest infection, apparently, but the 80 year old Martin Carthy did put in an appearance last night - the first in-person gig for me for 18 months!  Apart from his voice sounding a little less strong than in the past (could be age, could be lack of use over the last 18 months, probably a mix of both), and a few memory lapses over lyrics and names, you'd never believe he was that old.  We got a good mix of songs, including the highlight for me of his updated version of My Son John (as recorded by him with the Imagined Village).

Chest infection and broken foot for Eliza!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1458 on: September 24, 2021, 03:29:10 PM »

Chest infection and broken foot for Eliza!

Oh. The broken foot didn't get mentioned when the venue sent out an email to say she wouldn't be there.  And Martin didn't say anything about her not being there.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1459 on: September 24, 2021, 08:45:32 PM »

The Monkees Present: The Mike and Mickey Show Farewell Tour, last night, September 23, 2021, at Stubb's Amphitheater in Austin, Texas!

Great show for roughly 500 people. Mike and Mickey looked hale and hearty, though Mike does use a cane and did not pick up a guitar all night. Mickey's voice is still intact and soaring. Mike sort of talk-sings or bellows, which oddly enough works well for his tunes. There were innumerable highlights, but "Listen To The Band" and "You Just May Be The One" stood out for me. Mickey did a lovely job with Davey's signature tune, "Daydream Believer," and Peter's ("For Pete's Sake"). I'm really going to miss these guys.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: