TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:20:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803386 times)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1420 on: October 23, 2020, 05:21:11 PM »

Planning on going to a concert on Tuesday.

The Often Herd, a bluegrass band from Newcastle are playing nearby. Don't know them so hopefully they'll be a nice discovery. and of course IT'S LIVE MUSIC. WOOHOO!

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1421 on: October 29, 2020, 02:42:57 PM »

Another onliney thing, although it was a proper gig too.  Richard Dawson at the Barbican.   It was brilliant, of course...but don't just take my word for it.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/one-of-the-few-genuine-british-visionaries-at-work-today-richard-dawson-at-the-barbican-reviewed?fbclid=IwAR0Gic6MUWJXSBxyS7Wot-ODLg5_yxVuzxuzPBQcK0AnkKSucKx8y_qjp9I#

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1422 on: November 30, 2020, 08:16:51 PM »

A review of last night's Michael Chapman \ Katie Spencer online gig

https://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2020/11/30/michael-chapman-ancient-modern-live-from-the-merchant-adventurers-hall/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1423 on: February 28, 2021, 11:24:58 AM »

Stretching the definition beyond breaking point, but this weekend's Unthanks Winter Onliner has been an absolute delight  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1424 on: April 30, 2021, 04:23:18 PM »

Tosca, presented by Austin Opera, last night at the newly christened Germania Insurance Amphitheatre in remote southeast Austin, Texas!

The crowd of several hundred were socially distanced and wore masks except while eating or drinking. It rained steadily throughout the outdoor performance, meaning the orchestra could not remove their instruments from their waterproof cases. Thus, we saw a 2 1/2 hour opera performed solely with piano accompaniment. We emerged soaking wet and very happy. (Spoiler alert: It does not end well...)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1425 on: May 21, 2021, 10:10:08 PM »

Just back from seeing Belshazzar's Feast in Morecambe at a socially-distanced More Music. The two Pauls were on good form and were obviously glad to be back on the road after 14 months. There were only about a couple of dozen punters there but the venue staff were grateful for us all coming out and they've a few more gigs lined up in the coming weeks. We had a chat with the guys after the gig and bought their live cd - The Whiting's on the Wall.  Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1426 on: May 31, 2021, 02:43:34 PM »

Virtually, although it was a proper one too...This is the Kit from the Barbican.  Kate is a genius.  One of the best bands currently treading the boards....  

Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1427 on: June 11, 2021, 10:46:27 PM »

3 gigs this week. Martyn Joseph, brilliant as usual, emotional at times. Attila the Stockbroker last night, little bit weird,  bounced between punk rants, dub reggae and poignant poetry. Tonight Show of Hands, just Steve and Phil, totally different laid back set, with 2 new songs - including a new song about the end of lockdown, Green Fields , I think. So happy to be back seeing live music 😀
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1428 on: July 20, 2021, 12:13:21 AM »

Apologies to those who may have seen this on FB, but last night was my first live show since this all started. A week ago I was at an Irish seisiun so that was really my first live music heard, but I wanted that concert vibe, and last night on a beautiful night (and a break from lots of heat and rain) alongside the Hudson River was the fabulous Jules & The Jinks, a local NYC area band with a very talented singer and some great players I have mentioned here before. As I was walking towards the river they were doing sound check and the momentary sound of her voice doing levels was enough to send me into pure heaven. They had a great crowd, won a lot of converts to their own mix of soul/rock/pop originals, and the occasional cover song (Prince, Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke). The second half the band opened up with a spot on version of Hip Hug Her that the oldtimers in the crowd (myself included lol) were really grooving too. More! More!!!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1429 on: July 20, 2021, 08:56:18 AM »

Saving Grace last night at The Worthing Pavilion.
It seemed strange and a little bit scary to be at a packed venue after all this time.
An excellent performance from Mr Plant and co.
They looked like they were enjoying themselves every bit as much as the audience.
He also had some lovely things to say about Fairport and Cropredy prior to playing Richard Thompson’s “House of Cards”

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1430 on: July 20, 2021, 09:03:53 AM »

It seemed strange and a little bit scary to be at a packed venue after all this time.
They looked like they were enjoying themselves every bit as much as the audience.
He also had some lovely things to say about Fairport and Cropredy prior to playing Richard Thompson’s “House of Cards”

Not surprised.  So, absolutely no social distancing measures at all, then?  What sort of percentage of people were in masks?

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1431 on: July 20, 2021, 09:12:29 AM »

Not surprised.  So, absolutely no social distancing measures at all, then?  What sort of percentage of people were in masks?
I would say about 60% were wearing masks (including myself)

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1432 on: July 27, 2021, 09:27:13 AM »

Two gigs in last few days, seems like back to normal :-)   Ian Prowse with Amsterdam at Liverpool Philharmonic on Saturday, played like their lives depended on it, and it was fantastic, then last night, Saving Grace in Dudley. The musicianship is nothing short of stunning and it isn't all about RP, he gives the rest of band so much time and space. Mostly quite obscure cover versions, but included a brilliant version of Richard Thompson's House of  Cards. Highly recommended.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1433 on: August 16, 2021, 08:09:09 AM »

Old-skool metal fest yesterday, at Bloodstock, which I've never attended before; it being the same weekend as Cropredy.

I was there to see Diamond Head, Saxon and Judas Priest - the last two, I saw at Monsters Of Rock 80.
Which was 41 years ago today.
I enjoyed every minute.

Plus !
Brian Blessed came on to shout about being from Barnsley just like Saxon, and 'Gordon Is Alive !' several times.

Bonus.

Well I never did..
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1434 on: August 16, 2021, 02:59:51 PM »

Old-skool metal fest yesterday, at Bloodstock, which I've never attended before; it being the same weekend as Cropredy.

I was there to see Diamond Head, Saxon and Judas Priest - the last two, I saw at Monsters Of Rock 80.
Which was 41 years ago today.
I enjoyed every minute.

Plus !
Brian Blessed came on to shout about being from Barnsley just like Saxon, and 'Gordon Is Alive !' several times.

Bonus.

Did you see a band called Green Lung? I've been listening to them recently after reading a review in the Guardian. Very retro - Sabbath and NWOBHM influences.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1435 on: August 16, 2021, 03:58:33 PM »

Did you see a band called Green Lung? I've been listening to them recently after reading a review in the Guardian. Very retro - Sabbath and NWOBHM influences.

Not heard of them - just been having a listen now - bloody great, but they dance a very fine line between 'influence' and pastiche....

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1436 on: September 05, 2021, 08:25:21 PM »

Saturday
Axiom - Prog as it appears on the tin
Deviant Amps - As barking as I remembered
Sunday
The Salts - Shanties as they should be played

... and then I bought a pristine copy of the Supercharge album Horizontal Refreshment on Virgin for £2 which is a band you couldn't avoid at Saturday's venue in middle 70's which is probably the last time I went there.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1437 on: September 08, 2021, 09:45:27 AM »

EXTC at The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth last night.

A "semi" tribute band (in the way that From The Jam has Bruce Foxton in their lineup, EXTC has XTC drummer Terry Chambers in theirs) that tours with the blessing of the other former members, they played two excellent sets of XTC's finest.

They've got a couple more dates, including The 100 Club and The Isle Of Wight Festival, but such has been the demand to hear live XTC music, they're putting together a bigger tour for next year. Highly recommended if the boys from Swindon are your thing.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1438 on: September 08, 2021, 11:09:50 AM »

A "semi" tribute band (in the way that From The Jam has Bruce Foxton in their lineup, EXTC has XTC drummer Terry Chambers in theirs) that tours with the blessing of the other former members, they played two excellent sets of XTC's finest.

They've got a couple more dates, including The 100 Club and The Isle Of Wight Festival, but such has been the demand to hear live XTC music, they're putting together a bigger tour for next year. Highly recommended if the boys from Swindon are your thing.

I'm very jealous.  Did you see TC&I (Terry and Colin) when they played in Swindon a few years ago, Dan?  They share several members, not just Terry.  The good thing about this is you get work by both songwriters (to be fair, Colin did play one Andy song with TC&I)...

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1439 on: September 08, 2021, 01:57:14 PM »

I'm very jealous.  Did you see TC&I (Terry and Colin) when they played in Swindon a few years ago, Dan?  They share several members, not just Terry.  The good thing about this is you get work by both songwriters (to be fair, Colin did play one Andy song with TC&I)...

Ooh, no I didn't catch them, sounds like I should investigate further...
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: