TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:31:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803447 times)
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #1380 on: February 11, 2020, 07:46:24 AM »

Something like that, yep. The old boxing Stadium. I saw the Capt again, during the Doc at the Radar Station period at what used to be the Top Rank Suite in the St John's Centre. I believe Bowie/Ziggy played that venue some years earlier.

Genesis/ Lindisfarne played there too - a mate of mine was going and I decided not to bother. I've regretted it ever since.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1381 on: February 14, 2020, 08:04:19 AM »

Went along to Sounds of the 70s with Johnnie Walker in Southend last night. An enjoyable show with plenty of amusing anecdotes from Mr Walker. Have to say the live band were good but I’m afraid the female singer was painful to listen to! The male singer though had an excellent rock voice and the guitarist was excellent. Johnnie Walker not looking bad for 75 year-old and he still ranks in the top 3 of my all-time favourite DJs along with Roger Scott and Charlie Gillett neither of which are still with us

Born to Run (but not very fast)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1382 on: February 14, 2020, 03:05:56 PM »

Something like that, yep. The old boxing Stadium. I saw the Capt again, during the Doc at the Radar Station period at what used to be the Top Rank Suite in the St John's Centre. I believe Bowie/Ziggy played that venue some years earlier.

Genesis/ Lindisfarne played there too - a mate of mine was going and I decided not to bother. I've regretted it ever since.

Hmm, I bought 2 tickets to see Genesis at the Empire on "The Lamb Lies Down" tour; my then girlfriend, into whose tender hands I'd entrusted the tickets, proceeded to dump me unceremoniously a few days before the gig. It sounded good from outside the back of the theatre...  Angry

Flobbadob!
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1383 on: February 28, 2020, 09:57:09 AM »

Cara Dillon at Colchester Arts Centre last night. Her voice is just gorgeous and there was lots of lovely chat. Sam Lakeman also on good form and Toby Shaer is an amazing musician despite suffering from a spot of food poisoning! He is definitely a name to look out for.

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1384 on: March 02, 2020, 08:19:50 AM »

Genesis Visible Touch at Witham Public Hall last night...for a tribute act, they were very good with Chris  O’Connell sounding very authentic on lead vocals (despite one or two flat top notes). The light show was also excellent, the like of which rarely seen at the venue. Well worth seeing as the chances of the real Genesis reforming for a concert tour look pretty remote to me

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1385 on: March 02, 2020, 09:40:14 PM »

Los Lobos / Ozomatli / Southern Avenue - last Friday at ACL Live.

I've run out of superlatives to describe Los Lobos. They are the best band in the land. A nice change-up was that the gig was primarily acoustic. They've done acoustic tours in the past featuring mostly traditional songs. This time, it was nice to hear some of their better-known originals played at relatively low volume, which really brings the vocals forward.

Ozomatli was new to me, although I've been hearing about them for a long time. They played several U.K. gigs last year, and I highly recommend them if they come back through. They have incredible energy and it was one of the most refreshing and exciting live performances I've seen in a long time. (We had front row seats, however, and the sound was sometimes deafening.)

Southern Avenue is a young band from Memphis, Tennessee. They are a mash-up of R&B, hip hop and soul with southern rock overtones (filtered through their Israel-born lead guitarist, oddly enough). Again, highly recommend if you ever get the chance. Their lead singer returned to the stage for a couple of verses of "What's Going On?" with Los Lobos, and she really nails those soulful vocals.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1386 on: March 03, 2020, 05:36:42 PM »

Had a good evening with Nancy Kerr and James Fagan last night at Nettlebed.  First time I have seen them playing together, though I have seen her with others.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1387 on: March 06, 2020, 12:28:07 AM »

Joanne Shaw Taylor at the Robin, giving it some with down and dirty swampy blues guitar and vocals. Then she says 'This is the toitle track of the new al-bum', because she's not from Mississippi, but from Wednesbury, a few miles up the road. Crackin' little band.

Well I never did..
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1388 on: March 06, 2020, 12:56:18 AM »

Joanne Shaw Taylor at the Robin, giving it some with down and dirty swampy blues guitar and vocals. Then she says 'This is the toitle track of the new al-bum', because she's not from Mississippi, but from Wednesbury, a few miles up the road. Crackin' little band.

Ar, 'ers a bostin' wench.
Great gig tonight, bang on form.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1389 on: March 11, 2020, 08:41:37 AM »

A couple of contrasting gigs recently.

On Sunday night, Bach's B minor Mass at Dorking Halls as part of Leith Hill Musical Festival, so local choirs joining together, with a professional orchestra on period instruments (Canzona, which features a couple of my 2nd cousins Smiley ).  Not my usual sort of thing, but very enjoyable, and very definitely Mrs Will's thing.

Then on Monday night, Peter Knight and John Spiers at Nettlebed Folk Club.  Disappointingly attended (not sure if that was CV related, though the two friends we were going with pulled out at the last minute due to (not CV) illness).  But those of us who did go saw a wonderful display of virtuosic playing.  

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1390 on: March 12, 2020, 11:52:30 PM »

Always good to have a gig within walking distance of home. Tonight Hereford had the privilege of ex-Oyster Ray Cooper in the ballroom of the recently refurbished Green Dragon Hotel.

This chap has been a constant source of delight to me since his 3 Mustaphas 3 days & gets better every time I see him. Wonderful songs & exemplary playing in an intimate atmosphere, just fab. Catch him if/when you can.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1391 on: March 16, 2020, 09:53:53 AM »

Making the most of the music opportunities while there still are some, so I went to see Jack Rutter at Readifolk last night, and very much enjoyed his set.  He's a very engaging performer, as well as being hugely talented.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1392 on: March 18, 2020, 09:19:41 PM »

Colin Meloy (Decemberists) did a spontaneous hour-long gig on his instagram channel the other night. Fantastic set list (some rare outings, such as after the bombs), and a genuinely uplifting experience. A lovely gesture.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1393 on: March 19, 2020, 08:17:09 AM »

Colin Meloy (Decemberists) did a spontaneous hour-long gig on his instagram channel the other night. Fantastic set list (some rare outings, such as after the bombs), and a genuinely uplifting experience. A lovely gesture.

Oh, that sounds nice.  I'm not on Instagram...is it available anywhere else?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Adam
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1394 on: March 20, 2020, 06:44:08 AM »

David - I think it is Instagram only, but he’s doing another gig tonight. Worth signing up for! From his twitter account:

“Playing more songs tomorrow 3/20 at noon pacific over at Instagram.com/dullandwitlessboy come on out fellow social distancers!” I think it is 7pm our time
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1395 on: March 20, 2020, 08:24:42 AM »

David - I think it is Instagram only, but he’s doing another gig tonight. Worth signing up for! From his twitter account:

“Playing more songs tomorrow 3/20 at noon pacific over at Instagram.com/dullandwitlessboy come on out fellow social distancers!” I think it is 7pm our time

That's a shame...I've got more than enough social media accounts...can't face another one.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Adam
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1396 on: March 20, 2020, 08:08:27 PM »

My admiration for Colin Meloy has gone through the roof. A wonderful, warm and intimate online gig just now. Set list:
The infanta (aborted as he forgot the words!)
Billy Liar
January hymn
O New England
Me & Magdalena (Ben Gibbard cover)
Oceanside
Made for TV movie (new song)
Stateside
Eli the barrow boy
California one/Youth and beauty brigade

He said he’ll try to do one show a week. This has cheered me right up!
After the bombs
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1397 on: March 20, 2020, 09:03:36 PM »

Me & Magdalena (Ben Gibbard cover)

Gibbard by way of The Monkees, even.

Sweet choice.  One of the greatest songs of the last decade.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1398 on: March 20, 2020, 10:19:02 PM »

Ian Prowse on his FB page this evening.

Just a joy and a tonic. A real way of bringing people together and great to share with friends via the available technology. Brought a smile to my face which has been struggling to exercise those muscles this week.

He is doing another one next week.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1399 on: March 27, 2020, 11:30:27 PM »

Two really great online shows tonight from Ian Prowse and The Mastersons. 90 minutes each. My Friday evening just flew and the sound quality on the Mastersons show was excellent, as was the material.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: