TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:18:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803410 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1320 on: November 24, 2019, 11:47:58 PM »

Rufus Wainwright was superior at the Paramount Theater last night, wrapping up his U.S. tour I believe. It was one of the best performances I've witnessed since Leonard Cohen.

He is doing a couple of shows in Dublin and one at the Royal Festival Hall in London in early December. Highly recommend if you get the chance.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1321 on: November 26, 2019, 09:02:29 AM »

Hawkwind at G-Live in Guildford last night with some old 6th form chums.  It was a great Hawkwind gig for an hour and a bit, and then Clapton came on...playing for about 30 minutes with his (apparently) old mate Brock.  Very odd, but good fun!  There are some youtube clips around...  Nightmare journey back, and 4 hour's sleep, but hey!  One to tell the Grandkids about...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1322 on: November 26, 2019, 09:26:17 AM »

Sounds... surprising!  (Edit: Just found this - Eric guests on their new album: https://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-news/303-eric-clapton-guests-new-hawkwind-disc)

Gigspanner Big Band were very good last night too.  Playing almost all new material that they've been working up, with just a couple of old favourites (Hard Times of Old England and Boy who Wouldn't Hoe Corn) and apparently they are recording these shows towards a new album.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1323 on: November 26, 2019, 09:36:07 AM »

Sounds... surprising!  (Edit: Just found this - Eric guests on their new album: https://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-news/303-eric-clapton-guests-new-hawkwind-disc)

Aye that's the last one, in all its Mike Batted horror  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1324 on: November 26, 2019, 09:48:49 AM »

Aye that's the last one, in all its Mike Batted horror  Grin

Ah yes - didn't see the date on the article.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1325 on: November 26, 2019, 10:47:57 AM »

Hawkwind at G-Live in Guildford last night with some old 6th form chums.  It was a great Hawkwind gig for an hour and a bit, and then Clapton came on...playing for about 30 minutes with his (apparently) old mate Brock.  Very odd, but good fun!  There are some youtube clips around...  Nightmare journey back, and 4 hour's sleep, but hey!  One to tell the Grandkids about...
I wonder what attracted them to each other.....? Grin  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #1326 on: November 26, 2019, 08:12:55 PM »

The Pitmen Poets in Gateshead, home soil, last night of the tour and possibly the last time for the PP. We needed sub titles  Roll Eyes  It was FAB!  Kiss

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #1327 on: December 01, 2019, 01:02:34 PM »

Pink Floyd tribute band Pulse at Wallingford Corn Exchange last night...Really enjoyable and they put on a fine show covering a good cross section of Floyd from Syd Barrett to Division Bell era and most points in between...Great to see a full house as well... Smiley

Musical highlight (of the year) for me personally though has to be the Monochrome Set playing last Saturday evening at the Jericho Tavern in Oxford...Always amazed this group never had the recognition they deserved...Top drawer song writing, melody, and totally original...I wouldn't normally agree with smartphone filming at gigs, but I'm actually really happy someone captured this moment... Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOiSLOlVo2Y&list=RDnOiSLOlVo2Y&start_radio=1
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1328 on: December 01, 2019, 03:41:00 PM »

Chris Difford at St Mary’s Church in Barry, part of the Barry Arts Festival. Ably supported by Boo Hewerdine, Chris gave us an account of his life interspersed with mostly Squeeze songs and a few of his own, plus a Q&A. Very enjoyable, the audience sang along with gusto. Bought a copy of his CD with Boo. Great night.

For a better review here’s one by a proper word person, from last year but Boo told the same jokes so just as relevant!

https://www.on-magazine.co.uk/arts/music/live-reviews/chris-difford-boo-hewerdine-thorner/

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1329 on: December 05, 2019, 10:58:06 AM »

George Hinchliffe's Ukulele Orchestra of GB last night at Lancaster Town Hall. Pretty much a sell-out crowd and despite it being billed as their Christmas tour there weren't that many seasonal songs though they did do a rather good slow version of the Slade song. Several audience members had brought along their ukes and joined in on a couple of xmas numbers.

The setlist was similar to this Helsinki gig - sadly no Psycho Killer - with highlights being covers of Hawkwind, AC/DC, The Eurythmics, Blur, Wheatus and George Formby with a cracking rendition of a Bowie number at the end.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-ukulele-orchestra-of-great-britain/2019/savoy-teatteri-helsinki-finland-2b9af81a.html

They've another five dates on this tour https://www.ukuleleorchestra.com/index.php/upcoming-events/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1330 on: December 08, 2019, 05:42:26 PM »

Singer Songwriter Raye Zaragoza last night at City Vineyard, a beautiful little venue along the Hudson River. I saw Raye last year opening for Dar Williams. Ever since I have gotten into her music and have been supporting her upcoming album on Patreon. She lives in LA now but grew up in New York so this was a headlining return home show. Being part Japanese and part Native American/Mexican she sang a very funny song about Christmas with her family and both dumplings and tacos cooking in the kitchen. But her songs are also very strong, with many having a political/social justice vibe and a voice that has shades of Joni Mitchell. Worth remembering

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1331 on: December 08, 2019, 05:53:44 PM »

Two gigs this past week.

On Wednesday I went with my daughter to watch St Agnes Fountain in the Acapela Studios in Pentyrch (ran into Bridget and Andy of this parish, along with their spouses - why is the plural not 'spice') It was really good evening with the traditional and the modern mixed up with the humorous. Christmas has now officially started!

On Friday I travelled to Abergavenny to see Steeleye on their 50th anniversary tour. Wonderful, full blooded show. Songs spanning their entire career were played (encoring with 'Hat' of course) They really do give it their all. Unfortunately Maddy appeared to have a throat problem - hopefully just an infection and not a symptom of anything more permanent happening with her voice. The 'maternity leave' stand-in violinist Violeta Barreña fitted in well with the band, and her vocals were helpful in supporting Maddy too.
 I'll certainly be seeing them next time they're in  the vicinity.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1332 on: December 11, 2019, 11:18:25 PM »

Saw the Aggies tonight in Maldon. It was the first time I’d seen them. Loved the music but hated the electioneering and politicising of the the gig with lyrics changed and slogans bandied about between some song. Left a bad taste in my mouth  Sad. I don’t care what views people have but I don’t expect them to be rammed down my throat especially at a concert containing mainly Christmas carols and songs! Sorry but doubt if I’ll bother to see them again

Born to Run (but not very fast)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #1333 on: December 12, 2019, 09:19:05 AM »

Saw the Aggies tonight in Maldon. It was the first time I’d seen them. Loved the music but hated the electioneering and politicising of the the gig with lyrics changed and slogans bandied about between some song. Left a bad taste in my mouth  Sad. I don’t care what views people have but I don’t expect them to be rammed down my throat especially at a concert containing mainly Christmas carols and songs! Sorry but doubt if I’ll bother to see them again

Interesting and this thread is probably not the place to discuss it.
There are several folk forums where it has been pointed out that most folk performers come from a left wing , liberal perspective.
Many folk songs are about overcoming an oppressor , the class system etc ( Manchester Rambler, even Matty Groves) and some performers overtly espouse(d) their politics , Billy Bragg, Roy Bailey, Steve Knightly, Lucy Ward , even Chris While and Julie Matthews,
Difficult though when you go out for an evening of Christmas songs....
I once stood at Big Session Festival, several years ago, with a friend of this parish whose political views are to the right of mine......and he was upset/annoyed at the Levellers mocking the death of Thatcher.
It is a thorny subject......you pays her money.
I won’t watch Digance because of comments he made at Cropredy one year...
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1334 on: December 12, 2019, 10:24:28 AM »

Hi Dave you hit the nail on the head in the middle of your reply...I was expecting a pleasant evening of Christmas songs and wanted to escape all the election fuss. What I got was the pleasant songs but also yet more politics! If I wanted protest songs etc I would’ve gone to see the appropriate artists. Never mind you learn from your mistakes

Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1335 on: December 12, 2019, 06:53:25 PM »

Sam Kelly & the Lost Boys at Cecil Sharp House last Saturday. Very good gig … he relates well to the audience. Perhaps a general point that applies to this gig amongst many … if you've seen a band for the first time at a festival, it can seem a tad sedate seeing them indoors by comparison ...
Metro96 (Keith)
Do I look like a padre?

Loc: Adjacent to the Saddleworth villages.

My Friend there is always time for beer!

« Reply #1336 on: December 13, 2019, 11:42:54 AM »

Ian Anderson / Jethro Tull Christmas concert in Ripon Cathedral last Saturday.
An excellent evening, and a good mix of traditional, reworked and classic Tull .

Pwll peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda.
một pint của đắng xin
ไพน์ของขมโปรด
en halvliter øl vennligst
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1337 on: December 13, 2019, 04:26:26 PM »

So, was it a rare JT gig that wasn't marred by the infamous IA vocal problems, Keith?
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1338 on: December 14, 2019, 10:45:43 AM »

Nine Below Zero at the Colchester Arts Centre last night. Superb evening of loud raucous blues music played at a furious pace! No mention of Christmas or politics at all  Grin Just what I needed although I’m no longer used to more than 2 and a half hours of standing (and dancing) so feeling it a bit this morning  Undecided

wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1339 on: December 14, 2019, 11:32:58 PM »

The Mellstock Band doing their Christmas Frolics show in York, this afternoon.

After yesterday, I was feeling the complete opposite of festive (whatever that might be) but The Mellstocks have have dispatched my inner Scrooge and helped me feel Christmassy again.

Thanks chaps!
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: