TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:31:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 816330 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1240 on: October 01, 2019, 12:05:13 PM »

Feeling jealous of all those who did get to RT's birthday bash last night, but I am not sorry that I got to see Home Service back together, with John Tams, at Nettlebed last night.  The band were right on form - possibly a little loud for that small venue (picking out all the instruments wasn't always easy when they let rip), but it may also have been because I was in the second row, right in front of the stage left speaker!

John Tams and John Kirkpatrick switched around lead vocal duties on different songs, and sometimes within the songs (JK: 'Alternate words is it?'  JT: 'You take the consonants, I'll do the vowels'  Grin ).  They were also enjoying being on stage together, having played together waaaay back - and we got a duo song from them (Martha the Watercress Girl) from back then.

We also had the beautiful 'Lark Ascending' coda to 'Scarecrow', courtesy of Andy Findon's flute.  And I could listen to Graeme Taylor's melodic guitar solos all night, so it was all good.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1241 on: October 01, 2019, 12:37:05 PM »

Feeling jealous of all those who did get to RT's birthday bash last night, but I am not sorry that I got to see Home Service back together, with John Tams, at Nettlebed last night.  The band were right on form - possibly a little loud for that small venue (picking out all the instruments wasn't always easy when they let rip), but it may also have been because I was in the second row, right in front of the stage left speaker!

John Tams and John Kirkpatrick switched around lead vocal duties on different songs, and sometimes within the songs (JK: 'Alternate words is it?'  JT: 'You take the consonants, I'll do the vowels'  Grin ).  They were also enjoying being on stage together, having played together waaaay back - and we got a duo song from them (Martha the Watercress Girl) from back then.

We also had the beautiful 'Lark Ascending' coda to 'Scarecrow', courtesy of Andy Findon's flute.  And I could listen to Graeme Taylor's melodic guitar solos all night, so it was all good.

Hopefully there will be new material. I didn't take to JK's vocals on the last album but I must give it another go. I am still trying to find an affordable copy of Early Transmissions.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #1242 on: October 01, 2019, 02:30:08 PM »

Desperate to catch them somewhere, but i wouldn't have swapped last night's extravaganza for worlds.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1243 on: October 01, 2019, 02:35:10 PM »

Hopefully there will be new material. I didn't take to JK's vocals on the last album but I must give it another go. I am still trying to find an affordable copy of Early Transmissions.

Yes, I'm not so keen on the last album - it has moments, but doesn't really do it for me. 

Early Transmissions is a bit of a curate's egg too.  Basically nothing they've done on record matches up to The Mysteries or Alright Jack.

No mention of new material from the stage last night, but the website suggests it might happen.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
PeteD
They choose the path where no one goes...Gercha!

« Reply #1244 on: October 06, 2019, 12:55:35 AM »

Just back from seeing Cropredy's favourite Australian brothers in Birmingham. I am happy to report that Jack and Patrick were in fine form and just as energetic and infectious as ever. They talked about their first time at Cropredy and the perfectly timed appearance of the Red Arrows. Seems the story comes out at most of their shows. Judging by the reaction from the audience there were a fair few who were there that day.

It seems they will be taking a year off from touring Europe in 2020. Surely 2021 would be perfect to have The Pierce Brothers back at Cropredy.  
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1245 on: October 06, 2019, 08:40:15 AM »

Just back from seeing Cropredy's favourite Australian brothers in Birmingham. I am happy to report that Jack and Patrick were in fine form and just as energetic and infectious as ever. They talked about their first time at Cropredy and the perfectly timed appearance of the Red Arrows. Seems the story comes out at most of their shows. Judging by the reaction from the audience there were a fair few who were there that day.

It seems they will be taking a year off from touring Europe in 2020. Surely 2021 would be perfect to have The Pierce Brothers back at Cropredy.  

No, once was enough! They were excellent the first time but the second time it fell a bit flat as their set was exactly the same as the previous year and the novelty had gone. Sounds like they’re still the same too so if they were on the bill I would go elsewhere for that....sorry

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #1246 on: October 07, 2019, 03:20:55 AM »

Made a last minute decision to see Jon Boden at Acapela last Sunday and glad we went. I have his set list if anyone's interested. He's still singing Bellowhead songs, though not as many as the last time I saw him. I wish he wouldn't, actually, because the B'head's versions are much better. He's got a new album out soon, so we got several from that and previous solo albums. His voice is still an acquired taste that I find a bit reedy, but he puts on a great show with lots of instruments.  
He assured me afterwards that there is very little to no likelihood of Bellowhead putting on a reunion gig in the foreseeable future, he didn't even go when most of them got together for a drink recently. I suggested a once-a-year-weekend-reunion-festival-type-thingy, I'm sure that sort of thing has been done somewhere before, and invite along all the bands and musicians connected with their individual projects for a start. Ah well, I live in hope!

Had my usual Two-Tone pizza, which is the one with blue cheese and pears and one of the specialties of the house!

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1247 on: October 07, 2019, 09:35:23 AM »

Made a last minute decision to see Jon Boden at Acapela last Sunday and glad we went. I have his set list if anyone's interested. He's still singing Bellowhead songs, though not as many as the last time I saw him. I wish he wouldn't, actually, because the B'head's versions are much better. He's got a new album out soon, so we got several from that and previous solo albums. His voice is still an acquired taste that I find a bit reedy, but he puts on a great show with lots of instruments.  
He assured me afterwards that there is very little to no likelihood of Bellowhead putting on a reunion gig in the foreseeable future, he didn't even go when most of them got together for a drink recently. I suggested a once-a-year-weekend-reunion-festival-type-thingy, I'm sure that sort of thing has been done somewhere before, and invite along all the bands and musicians connected with their individual projects for a start. Ah well, I live in hope!

Had my usual Two-Tone pizza, which is the one with blue cheese and pears and one of the specialties of the house!

I don't think Bellowhead could accommodate his ego! I wish they'd reform with a new singer....  Shocked  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1248 on: October 07, 2019, 09:43:19 AM »

I don't think Bellowhead could accommodate his ego! I wish they'd reform with a new singer....  Shocked  Smiley

Ouch!  But still playing all Jon's material/versions of material, I suppose?

Fwiw, I think Bellowhead were a one trick pony that lasted far too long.  Jon's solo material (and the duo material that preceded it) has a lot more depth (I think).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1249 on: October 07, 2019, 12:20:35 PM »

Ouch!  But still playing all Jon's material/versions of material, I suppose?

Fwiw, I think Bellowhead were a one trick pony that lasted far too long.  Jon's solo material (and the duo material that preceded it) has a lot more depth (I think).
All the band at some time wrote or rewrote music for the band - Pete Flood in particular was prolific - but it was Boden's baby and it wouldn't be the same without his charismatic front-manship. I'm just happy I saw them so often and I miss the joie de vivre I felt for weeks after a Bellowhead concert. Much as I loved Spiers & Boden (also sadly no more  Cry ) I never got the same kick.

I am going to listen to some Muse. They always raise my mood  Smiley  I may be some time....

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1250 on: October 09, 2019, 07:11:11 AM »

New Model Army, Southampton. I haven’t seen them live since 1989, and wasn’t sure how they’d sound now. My doubts were soon cast aside. Justin Sullivan still has a wonderful, powerful voice that really drove the songs. Great set list of old and new, including a rousing 51st State. I didn’t know all of the songs played, so I’ll be investigating my missing albums. Well worth seeing if you like articulate, passionate and sonic music!
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1251 on: October 09, 2019, 11:32:17 PM »

Curse of Lono tonight, probably not familiar to everyone, but really special, favourite new band.
Folky , rootsy , bluesy, country - almost sound in 3D.
JohnP69

« Reply #1252 on: October 13, 2019, 08:09:19 AM »

Mark Lewisohn's "Hornsey Road" presentation at Lincoln last night.

The Beatles expert with a 2 hour show all about the "Abbey Road" album.

Plenty of audio and rare photos.

If you like the Beatles I can't recommend this highly enough!

Dates here  https://www.marklewisohn.net/hornsey-road/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1253 on: October 13, 2019, 08:44:04 AM »

Were there many there?  When I saw the tour, I was amazed...I genuinely didn't think it was a goer, however interesting it was (and I'm sure it was).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
JohnP69

« Reply #1254 on: October 13, 2019, 09:20:56 AM »

Were there many there?  When I saw the tour, I was amazed...I genuinely didn't think it was a goer, however interesting it was (and I'm sure it was).

Near sell out of a 350 seater theatre. Probably 20 empty seats.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1255 on: October 14, 2019, 12:51:08 AM »

A great two-hour wall-to-wall hits show from Billy Joel last night in Arlington, Texas! His voice was as strong as I've ever heard, and the set list was impeccable.  He added some real fun extra stuff, including a cover of "Tush" by ZZ Top (in honor of Texas, natch).

This was billed as the last show at the Globe Life Park (fka The Ballpark at Arlington), a 25-year old baseball stadium that someone decided is antiquated and now must be retired.  It was a beautiful night after a long, hot summer.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1256 on: October 14, 2019, 09:50:06 AM »

A great two-hour wall-to-wall hits show from Billy Joel last night in Arlington, Texas! His voice was as strong as I've ever heard, and the set list was impeccable.  He added some real fun extra stuff, including a cover of "Tush" by ZZ Top (in honor of Texas, natch).

This was billed as the last show at the Globe Life Park (fka The Ballpark at Arlington), a 25-year old baseball stadium that someone decided is antiquated and now must be retired.  It was a beautiful night after a long, hot summer.

Billyseems to have a habit of closing ballparks. He played the last show at Shea too.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1257 on: October 15, 2019, 01:57:29 PM »

Guitar ace Jackie Venson last night at Rockwood Music Hall. My second time seeing Jackie and what a huge difference! Not that there was anything wrong with the first time, but she was coming to grips with some of the technology- (pedals, sequencers, etc) and it was a little distracting in retrospect. Not so last night. She absolutely was on fire and controlling those effects with great ease. Don't read that as her playing being a bunch of special effects. Oh no no...this woman can really shred the guitar. This time she was also accompanied by her drummer Rodney, a terrific player in his own right. Jackie featured mostly songs from her recent album 'Joy' but also gave us a new song. Oh and one last note on the tech...it was so good to hear some straight up wah wah on a few tracks. Don't seem to hear it much these days!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1258 on: October 15, 2019, 05:42:12 PM »

I would so like to go to that.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #1259 on: October 15, 2019, 06:49:27 PM »

Near sell out of a 350 seater theatre. Probably 20 empty seats.

Didcot Cornerstone Arts Centre was also a sell out...I wasn't actually sure what to expect, and had assumed that the Beatles story had been told so many times and there was little else left to tell...Of course I was completey wrong, and Mark certainly knows his stuff, and appeared to deliver the whole evening pretty much unscripted, with lots of anecdotes, visuals, and isolated audio tracks from the Abbey Road album.

Highly recommended... Cool
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: