TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 17, 2019, 08:33:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 151622 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1220 on: September 08, 2019, 01:08:59 PM »

I attended one day of the Moseley "Folk Festival" last weekend.

I watched and listened to Peggy Seeger and felt delighted and honoured to do so.

Richard Thompson was superb.  He sang and played with fire in his belly.  He also did two of Gill's favourite songs (Bright Lights and Who Knows Where the Time Goes?) and it was an emotional roller-coaster ride for me.  I wept buckets as I stood there.

I left part way through Don McLean's set.  It was getting cold, and he wasn't really doing it for me, although I'd like to have heard his hits.  The stroke of genius though was them having Don Maclean of Crackerjack come on stage just before he was due.  Hilarious.  Whoever had that idea deserves a medal.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1221 on: September 08, 2019, 01:47:19 PM »

I watched and listened to Peggy Seeger and felt delighted and honoured to do so.

Richard Thompson was superb.  He sang and played with fire in his belly.  He also did two of Gill's favourite songs (Bright Lights and Who Knows Where the Time Goes?) and it was an emotional roller-coaster ride for me.  I wept buckets as I stood there.

I left part way through Don McLean's set.  It was getting cold, and he wasn't really doing it for me, although I'd like to have heard his hits.  The stroke of genius though was them having Don Maclean of Crackerjack come on stage just before he was due.  Hilarious.  Whoever had that idea deserves a medal.

Jules

Awwww, man that must have been really tough.  Really glad you're getting out and about though.

That is so funny re: Don McLean/Maclean.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1222 on: September 08, 2019, 07:01:14 PM »

Jules

Awwww, man that must have been really tough.  Really glad you're getting out and about though.

Ditto this.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1223 on: September 08, 2019, 09:12:39 PM »

Jules

Ditto this.
and me. Don’t worry about crying, it’s a natural part of the grieving process.

Confusion will be my epitaph
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1224 on: September 09, 2019, 12:52:59 AM »

Don’t worry about crying, it’s a natural part of the grieving process.

There's bugger all use worrying about it - I'm a human lawn sprinkler.

Jules

Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1225 on: September 10, 2019, 10:24:50 AM »

Jules

Everybody I knew (of a certain age  Roll Eyes ) had been making Crackerjack jokes since the line-up was announced, so it was nice the organisers went for it as well. I wouldn't have had him headlining the Sunday night anyway, Friday at five to five was when he should have played.
His version of Vincent was brilliant, and American Pie is a great sing-along song, worth waiting for.

Have to agree Richard Thompson was superb.  
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1226 on: September 10, 2019, 11:45:29 AM »

Vincent was brilliant, and American Pie is a great sing-along song, worth waiting for.

I fully intended to wait around for those.  The spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak.

Jules

Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1227 on: September 13, 2019, 11:16:38 PM »

Saw the SAS band last night at Portsmouth Guildhall. Absolutely amazing.

For those who don't know the SAS Band, think Trevor Horn Band on steroids. Spike Edney was Queen's keyboard player, he didn't play on the records, but played on stage when Freddie want to prance around rather than be tied to a piano. 25 years ago, a band dropped out of the Gosport music festival (now at Wickham). Spike is a local lad, so the promoter asked him to form a band. He used the Brian May touring band, including Cozy Powell  Cry . The band in their own right are brilliant, but it is the special guests who add the icing on the cake. Last night they were  JUSTIN HAWKINS, HOTEI, MIDGE URE, TOYAH, GRAHAM GOULDMAN, MADELINE BELL, and PATTI RUSSO.

All did some of their own songs, plus some Queen covers. All were wonderful. Probably the best concert I have been to for a long time.

Paul

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1228 on: September 14, 2019, 11:25:04 PM »

For those who don't know the SAS Band, think Trevor Horn Band on steroids. Spike Edney was Queen's keyboard player, he didn't play on the records, but played on stage when Freddie want to prance around rather than be tied to a piano. 25 years ago, a band dropped out of the Gosport music festival (now at Wickham). Spike is a local lad, so the promoter asked him to form a band. He used the Brian May touring band, including Cozy Powell  Cry . The band in their own right are brilliant, but it is the special guests who add the icing on the cake. Last night they were  JUSTIN HAWKINS, HOTEI, MIDGE URE, TOYAH, GRAHAM GOULDMAN, MADELINE BELL, and PATTI RUSSO.

All did some of their own songs, plus some Queen covers. All were wonderful. Probably the best concert I have been to for a long time.

Paul

One for Cropredy - and with those guests please!!

Confusion will be my epitaph
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1229 on: September 15, 2019, 10:28:52 PM »

Paul

One for Cropredy - and with those guests please!!

I do think they would go down well.

There are several other guests that regularly appear with them, including Fish.

Paul

Fegg

« Reply #1230 on: Yesterday at 02:32:36 PM »

Muse at the O2 last night.
They were astonishingly good. I was surprised at the extent of the show (never having seen them live before), the theatricals really working well with the conceptual aspects of the music. Superb audience atmosphere, too.
I have always thought of them as being the evolution of Pink Floyd's style of prog, and this performance only reinforced that.
Worth every penny of the (considerable) number it required to witness.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: