TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:06:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803865 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1220 on: September 08, 2019, 01:08:59 PM »

I attended one day of the Moseley "Folk Festival" last weekend.

I watched and listened to Peggy Seeger and felt delighted and honoured to do so.

Richard Thompson was superb.  He sang and played with fire in his belly.  He also did two of Gill's favourite songs (Bright Lights and Who Knows Where the Time Goes?) and it was an emotional roller-coaster ride for me.  I wept buckets as I stood there.

I left part way through Don McLean's set.  It was getting cold, and he wasn't really doing it for me, although I'd like to have heard his hits.  The stroke of genius though was them having Don Maclean of Crackerjack come on stage just before he was due.  Hilarious.  Whoever had that idea deserves a medal.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1221 on: September 08, 2019, 01:47:19 PM »

I watched and listened to Peggy Seeger and felt delighted and honoured to do so.

Richard Thompson was superb.  He sang and played with fire in his belly.  He also did two of Gill's favourite songs (Bright Lights and Who Knows Where the Time Goes?) and it was an emotional roller-coaster ride for me.  I wept buckets as I stood there.

I left part way through Don McLean's set.  It was getting cold, and he wasn't really doing it for me, although I'd like to have heard his hits.  The stroke of genius though was them having Don Maclean of Crackerjack come on stage just before he was due.  Hilarious.  Whoever had that idea deserves a medal.

Jules

Awwww, man that must have been really tough.  Really glad you're getting out and about though.

That is so funny re: Don McLean/Maclean.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1222 on: September 08, 2019, 07:01:14 PM »

Jules

Awwww, man that must have been really tough.  Really glad you're getting out and about though.

Ditto this.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1223 on: September 08, 2019, 09:12:39 PM »

Jules

Ditto this.
and me. Don’t worry about crying, it’s a natural part of the grieving process.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1224 on: September 09, 2019, 12:52:59 AM »

Don’t worry about crying, it’s a natural part of the grieving process.

There's bugger all use worrying about it - I'm a human lawn sprinkler.

Jules

Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1225 on: September 10, 2019, 10:24:50 AM »

Jules

Everybody I knew (of a certain age  Roll Eyes ) had been making Crackerjack jokes since the line-up was announced, so it was nice the organisers went for it as well. I wouldn't have had him headlining the Sunday night anyway, Friday at five to five was when he should have played.
His version of Vincent was brilliant, and American Pie is a great sing-along song, worth waiting for.

Have to agree Richard Thompson was superb.  
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1226 on: September 10, 2019, 11:45:29 AM »

Vincent was brilliant, and American Pie is a great sing-along song, worth waiting for.

I fully intended to wait around for those.  The spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak.

Jules

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1227 on: September 13, 2019, 11:16:38 PM »

Saw the SAS band last night at Portsmouth Guildhall. Absolutely amazing.

For those who don't know the SAS Band, think Trevor Horn Band on steroids. Spike Edney was Queen's keyboard player, he didn't play on the records, but played on stage when Freddie want to prance around rather than be tied to a piano. 25 years ago, a band dropped out of the Gosport music festival (now at Wickham). Spike is a local lad, so the promoter asked him to form a band. He used the Brian May touring band, including Cozy Powell  Cry . The band in their own right are brilliant, but it is the special guests who add the icing on the cake. Last night they were  JUSTIN HAWKINS, HOTEI, MIDGE URE, TOYAH, GRAHAM GOULDMAN, MADELINE BELL, and PATTI RUSSO.

All did some of their own songs, plus some Queen covers. All were wonderful. Probably the best concert I have been to for a long time.

Paul

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1228 on: September 14, 2019, 11:25:04 PM »

For those who don't know the SAS Band, think Trevor Horn Band on steroids. Spike Edney was Queen's keyboard player, he didn't play on the records, but played on stage when Freddie want to prance around rather than be tied to a piano. 25 years ago, a band dropped out of the Gosport music festival (now at Wickham). Spike is a local lad, so the promoter asked him to form a band. He used the Brian May touring band, including Cozy Powell  Cry . The band in their own right are brilliant, but it is the special guests who add the icing on the cake. Last night they were  JUSTIN HAWKINS, HOTEI, MIDGE URE, TOYAH, GRAHAM GOULDMAN, MADELINE BELL, and PATTI RUSSO.

All did some of their own songs, plus some Queen covers. All were wonderful. Probably the best concert I have been to for a long time.

Paul

One for Cropredy - and with those guests please!!

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1229 on: September 15, 2019, 10:28:52 PM »

Paul

One for Cropredy - and with those guests please!!

I do think they would go down well.

There are several other guests that regularly appear with them, including Fish.

Paul

Fegg

« Reply #1230 on: September 16, 2019, 02:32:36 PM »

Muse at the O2 last night.
They were astonishingly good. I was surprised at the extent of the show (never having seen them live before), the theatricals really working well with the conceptual aspects of the music. Superb audience atmosphere, too.
I have always thought of them as being the evolution of Pink Floyd's style of prog, and this performance only reinforced that.
Worth every penny of the (considerable) number it required to witness.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1231 on: September 25, 2019, 11:02:42 AM »

Oysterband in Bognor Regis on Saturday night as part of the Southdowns folk festival. In performance terms they were genuinely as good as i have ever seen them (and I have seen them scores of times in the last 30 years, maybe more than any other band) with JJ in full and strong voice. The setlist leant a little heavily on the last two albums for my taste and I wish they had delved a little deeper but that is a minor complaint from a really great show.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1232 on: September 25, 2019, 03:14:42 PM »

Muse at the O2 last night.
They were astonishingly good. I was surprised at the extent of the show (never having seen them live before), the theatricals really working well with the conceptual aspects of the music. Superb audience atmosphere, too.
I have always thought of them as being the evolution of Pink Floyd's style of prog, and this performance only reinforced that.
Worth every penny of the (considerable) number it required to witness.
They're No 3 on my Top Ten Bands I Want To See!

Fegg

« Reply #1233 on: September 25, 2019, 04:18:06 PM »

Make it happen Bridget. You won't regret it!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1234 on: September 25, 2019, 10:15:02 PM »

Make it happen Bridget. You won't regret it!
My wallet will but you’re right - I definitely won’t!  Cheesy

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #1235 on: September 30, 2019, 09:06:56 AM »

Though I imagine a lot of people will have seen them, I thought I would post regarding the Rheingans Sisters gig at More Music - Morecambe last night. Firstly I have to say what a great little venue it is. I have been twice before to see Kate and the Kettle and the Furrow Collective and on each occasion I have been impressed what a friendly atmosphere there is, and the sound was great too and a range of bottled ales I would have enjoyed in my drinking days. The support act was a folk duo Richard Moss and Ben Farmer who made Back O'th Bush they entertained with mainly tunes and songs from Lancashire and Cumbria. Really foot tapping stuff with Richard playing some great guitar, and Bouzouki (I think) with really rich, warm vocals and Ben playing melodeon and accordion, I definitely wouldn't be disappointed if I were to see them again, a lot of what they played I was unfamiliar with. This was followed by two great sets from the Rheingans Sisters, a duo I have heard a lot about but never had the chance to see. They are clearly knowledgeable about traditional music and song and fantastic musicians, who clearly love what they are doing. The sets came from a diverse range of sources covering various European tunes and songs and self penned songs and tunes. Every arrangement was interesting and that coupled with two musicians who have an innate feel for harmony both vocally and musically, what they produced was a mesmeric delight. I also really loved the song writing, which was what originally drew me to the gig, having heard tracks from Rowan online, these sat seamlessly alongside the traditional pieces. I had gone with the intention of buying Rowans new solo cd, but after hearing the song This Forest I was very tempted to buy the duo's album Bright Field but I bought Rowan Rheingans - The Lines we draw together (which is great I have it on now). A great night of music I will be tempted to go and see Rowan Rheingans - Dispatches on the Red Dress at the Nuffield Theatre on the 8th of November in Lancaster which has recieved a lot of glowing reviews. As far as I can tell my sister, who I went with, seemed to enjoy it though (and she corrected me on this!) I haven't attended a gig with her for over 35 years so I can't be certain. I would recommend anyone who gets the opportunity goes and sees them, this was a brilliant gig. I seem to say that everytime I review concerts, but maybe I am too concerned that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, unless of course the act is rude and disrespectful to the audience..... Grin
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 09:27:17 AM by Brendan » Logged

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1236 on: September 30, 2019, 09:21:55 AM »

Though I imagine a lot of people will have seen them, I thought I would post regarding the Rheingans Sisters gig at More Music - Morecambe last night. Firstly I have to say what a great little venue it is. I have been twice before to see Kate and the Kettle and the Furrow Collective and on each occasion I have been impressed what a friendly atmosphere there is, and the sound it great too and a range of bottled ales I would have enjoyed in my drinking days. The support act was a folk duo Richard Moss and Ben Farmer who made Back O'th Bush they entertained with mainly tunes and songs from Lancashire and Cumbria. Really foot tapping stuff with Richard playing some great guitar, and Bouzouki (I think) with really rich, warm vocals and Ben playing melodeon and accordion, I definitely wouldn't be disappointed if I were to see them again, a lot of what they played I was unfamiliar with. This was followed by two great sets from the Rheingans Sisters, a duo I have heard a lot about but never had the chance to see. They are clearly knowledgeable about traditional music and song and fantastic musicians, who clearly love what they are doing. The sets came from a diverse range of sources covering various European tunes and songs and self penned songs and tunes. Every arrangement was interesting and that coupled with two musicians who have an innate feel for harmony both vocally and musically, what they produced was a mesmeric delight. I also really loved the song writing, which was what originally drew me to the gig, having heard tracks from Rowan online, these sat seamlessly alongside the traditional pieces. I had gone with the intention of buying Rowans new solo cd, but after hearing the song This Forest I was very tempted to buy the duo's album Bright Field but I bought Rowan Rheingans - The Lines we draw together (which is great I have it on now). A great night of music I will be tempted to go and see Rowan Rheingans - Dispatches on the Red Dress at the Nuffield Theatre on the 8th of November in Lancaster which has recieved a lot of glowing reviews. As far as I can tell my sister, who I went with, seemed to enjoy it though (and she corrected me on this!) I haven't attended a gig with her for over 35 years so I can't be certain. I would recommend anyone who gets the opportunity goes and sees them, this was a brilliant gig. I seem to say that everytime I review concerts, but maybe I am too concerned that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, unless of course the act is rude and disrespectful to the audience..... Grin

It's so wonderful to watch them develop...Rowan was a bestest school chum of my Bex, and everything I hear about her tells me what a wonderful person she is.  I get the feeling, but may be wrong, that her heart lies in the solo stuff and playing with her sister, as opposed to the Lady Maisery stuff.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1237 on: September 30, 2019, 01:30:54 PM »

Very interesting.

PLEASE break your posts up into paragraphs, my old eyes can't take in one lump like that.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #1238 on: September 30, 2019, 05:46:40 PM »

Very interesting.

PLEASE break your posts up into paragraphs, my old eyes can't take in one lump like that.
I will try harder next time, but succinctly, more music at Morecambe is a great venue. 
The support act Back O'th Bush were a more than just entertaining.       
The Rheingans Sisters played a wide range of traditional styles, had great harmonies and are clearly talented musicians and write great songs, all interesting arrangements throughout.
I didn't sleep well because of drinking too much Coke and I think it hadn't worn off when I typed this in the morning....I am a consummate waffler!               

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1239 on: October 01, 2019, 10:18:55 AM »

Saw the delightful Edwina Hayes in Colchester last night. Lovely night with a very engaging singer/songwriter. Loved the songs, the covers and the great chat. Hope she plays this way again very soon!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: