TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:55:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803707 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1200 on: July 29, 2019, 09:44:29 AM »

Went to the last show on the current tour by Tears for Fears last night at Castle Park, Colchester. Luckily the rain had finished by the time we got there and it turned into a lovely summer evening. The gig started with someone called Max Restaino. Clearly very talented but afraid his set left me cold - tedious and unmemorable songs. Next on was ABC who were excellent. Martin Fry has lost none of his charisma and retains an excellent voice and clearly enjoyed himself. The songs sound as good as ever retaining that brilliant bass sound. Actually thought they’d make a great act for Cropredy.

Headliners Tears for Fears were simply stunning. They played all the hits and, somewhat surprisingly to me actually opened up with “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” rather than saving that song for the encore as I expected. Overall the guitar work was extraordinary and I’m sure Roland Orzabal is mad  Grin he was hilarious! As mentioned they played all the hits and even included a superb version of ‘Creep’ by Radiohead. I last saw TfF way back in 1991 but will readily go and see them again

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1201 on: July 29, 2019, 10:23:24 PM »

Went to the last show on the current tour by Tears for Fears last night at Castle Park, Colchester. Luckily the rain had finished by the time we got there and it turned into a lovely summer evening. The gig started with someone called Max Restaino. Clearly very talented but afraid his set left me cold - tedious and unmemorable songs. Next on was ABC who were excellent. Martin Fry has lost none of his charisma and retains an excellent voice and clearly enjoyed himself. The songs sound as good as ever retaining that brilliant bass sound. Actually thought they’d make a great act for Cropredy.

Headliners Tears for Fears were simply stunning. They played all the hits and, somewhat surprisingly to me actually opened up with “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” rather than saving that song for the encore as I expected. Overall the guitar work was extraordinary and I’m sure Roland Orzabal is mad  Grin he was hilarious! As mentioned they played all the hits and even included a superb version of ‘Creep’ by Radiohead. I last saw TfF way back in 1991 but will readily go and see them again
We saw them back in Feb, great to see the quality has stayed up!  
I think Tears for Fears or ABC would be great at Cropredy!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1202 on: July 30, 2019, 07:17:20 AM »

Agreed but I said ABC as thought Tears for Fears could possibly be too expensive?

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1203 on: July 30, 2019, 08:41:26 AM »

Agreed but I said ABC as thought Tears for Fears could possibly be too expensive?
We've had Alice, Madness, Status Quo. I would have thought they would have been in the same "headline act" price bracket, although I admit I have no idea on how much these bands charge.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1204 on: July 30, 2019, 04:25:13 PM »

We've had Alice, Madness, Status Quo. I would have thought they would have been in the same "headline act" price bracket, although I admit I have no idea on how much these bands charge.

I’ve no idea of the costs either so let’s just hope one or both acts grace the Cropredy stage some time in the future  Grin

David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1205 on: July 30, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »

Back from WOMAD having taken a group from our charity, Festival Spirit. Mainly young people from St Christopher ‘s Hospice in Sydenham with medical support staff and their carers. A good time had by all as the weather stayed kind and the festival was excellent.

The usual eclectic mix: Ziggy Marley was a revelation - sounded just like his father and even covered some of his material; Salif Keita was excellent as ever; the Paraorchestra with an amazing orchestral performance of Kraftwerk’s TransEurope album; Carlene Anderson performing programme of protest songs with fine jazz-soul group. Heard Macy Gray was very good, also Orbital but highlight for me was Saving Grace, Robert Plant’s new group. Fine varied set which really whetted the appetite for a new album.

Usual, lovely friendly atmosphere. And the site completely cleared by 2.30 on the following day. If only every festival were the same.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1206 on: August 05, 2019, 05:51:21 PM »

Blast from the past - Last night, Pablo Cruise at the Dosey Doe "Big Barn" in The Woodlands, Texas!

My 14-year old self bought all of Pablo Cruise's albums, particularly loving "Worlds Away" and their rollicking version of Peter Allen's "I Go to Rio."  All three surviving original members are back on board, together with a fantastic bass player and a new lead singer to cover the high parts, Robbie Wyckoff.  Robbie's claim to fame is that he sang David Gilmour's parts on Roger Waters' "The Wall Live" tour.  I don't know that Pablo Cruise had any kind of success internationally, but they are in the pantheon of yacht rockers from my youth.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1207 on: August 07, 2019, 11:15:46 PM »

An RT gig with a difference at Gawsworth Hall last night. A fairly standard 45 minute opening set with Zara Phillips joining for the last three songs and then a hugely enjoyable request-only second set. Interesting that he took far more requests for other writer's songs than for his own. Sure there are one or two missing but those I can remember atm are Bathsheba Smiles, Now That I Am Dead, In My Life, 99 Red Balloons (in English and German!), Adieu Adieu, Cold Kisses,Tangled Up In Blue, A Legal Matter and for an encore Gimme Shelter with Zara.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1208 on: August 08, 2019, 07:37:01 AM »

An RT gig with a difference at Gawsworth Hall last night. A fairly standard 45 minute opening set with Zara Phillips joining for the last three songs and then a hugely enjoyable request-only second set. Interesting that he took far more requests for other writer's songs than for his own. Sure there are one or two missing but those I can remember atm are Bathsheba Smiles, Now That I Am Dead, In My Life, 99 Red Balloons (in English and German!), Adieu Adieu, Cold Kisses,Tangled Up In Blue, A Legal Matter and for an encore Gimme Shelter with Zara.

I like these request sets he does.  I hope someone pressed 'record'.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1209 on: August 26, 2019, 08:41:01 AM »

A great weekend of music. Friday evening at Towersey with very good sets from Melrose Quartet, the Unthanks and Fisherman’s Friends. And then one of the best gigs in years - Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul at the O2 in Oxford. A joyous two hour celebration of American music - blues, soul, funk, salsa, reggae, 60s pop and the best big band rock and roll you could ever want to hear. If you want a headliner for Cropredy, look no further.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1210 on: August 26, 2019, 03:15:02 PM »

Salsa legend La India last night in Central Park. Tremendous voice. I don't love all of it, but her voice is outstanding and her tribute to Celia Cruz was amazing. Opening act was someone to watch out for-Cimafunk from Cuba. What an incredible singer with a really tight funky band and bursting with energy. My Cuban 'ladies' (my girlfriend along with her sister, mom and friend) all loved it.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1211 on: August 26, 2019, 07:40:07 PM »

A great weekend of music. Friday evening at Towersey with very good sets from Melrose Quartet, the Unthanks and Fisherman’s Friends. And then one of the best gigs in years - Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul at the O2 in Oxford. A joyous two hour celebration of American music - blues, soul, funk, salsa, reggae, 60s pop and the best big band rock and roll you could ever want to hear. If you want a headliner for Cropredy, look no further.

He was just as good at Bearded Theory a few weeks ago. The best "show" they've had from a headliner, absolutely brilliant.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1212 on: August 31, 2019, 08:57:02 AM »

Did front of house at Witham Public Hall for Marty Wilde and the Wildcats last night. Wow! What a voice for an 80 year old and he still gigs constantly (did 28 dates straight in May & June this year with only one day off). His band were also superb doing great versions of tunes such as Classical Gas and Wonderful Land for example. A surprisingly enjoyable (and sold out) evening  Smiley

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1213 on: September 06, 2019, 10:57:25 AM »

Sorry me again  Shocked Went to first show of the latest tour by Martin Turner last night in Colchester. Excellent gig with his 2 superb guitarists, Danny Wilson and Misha Nikolic. They played the Wishbone Ash albumen New England and Pilgrimage in their entirety followed by a few classic Ash songs including Blind Eye, Doctor and Blowin’ Free. Unfortunately Colchester Arts Centre was only about 3/4 full (say about 185 people) but we saw a great show!

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1214 on: September 06, 2019, 06:03:48 PM »

I didn’t go, having only just seen them at Cropredy, but I have heard that The Waterboys gave a great performance at Skye Live in Portree last night. I saw a small clip of Fisherman’s Blues on West Highland Free Press Twitter, which looked like a lively performance.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1215 on: September 06, 2019, 06:55:10 PM »

I didn’t go, having only just seen them at Cropredy, but I have heard that The Waterboys gave a great performance at Skye Live in Portree last night. I saw a small clip of Fisherman’s Blues on West Highland Free Press Twitter, which looked like a lively performance.

Did it rain?   Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1216 on: September 06, 2019, 07:48:45 PM »

Did it rain?   Grin

Oh heck. I”m becoming a living predictable cliche woman!  Grin Yes, it has rained every day since we returned from Cropredy except last Sunday....but they had a very nice tent thing apparently .
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1217 on: September 08, 2019, 10:11:31 AM »

The Let’s Rock Retro Festival in Essex yesterday was absolutely tremendous. Similar to Cropredy, a single stage but in a main field that was considerably larger than Croppers with the usual stalle/facilities etc. However the sound and lighting was so much better than all the times I’ve been to Cropredy even right at the back of the field. Perhaps they have better funding, I don’t know, but it was pristine. Also the general organisation was superb too. Weather stayed good and we enjoyed an amazing line-up of 1980s artists. For me, top acts were Midge Ure, Heaven 17 and The Real Thing. But also saw excellent sets from the likes of Status Quo, Tony Hadley, Jimmy Somerville, Go West, Nik Kershaw, Nick Hayward, Betty Boo, China Crisis, Nathan Moore, Owen Paul, Musical Youth, Westworld and Belouis Some. Will go again next year too  Grin

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1218 on: September 08, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »

However the sound and lighting was so much better than all the times I’ve been to Cropredy even right at the back of the field. Perhaps they have better funding, I don’t know, but it was pristine.

Ignoring as best I can the horrors of (most of) the artists you had to endure, I'm intrigued by this, as weather aside, there is no reason really why the sound at one similar festival set up should sound massively different from another?  By the time you get to that level, one's not really talking about 'better PA's", is one?  Which brings it down to sound engineering, doesn't it?  I genuinely have no idea... but thoughts....?

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1219 on: September 08, 2019, 12:17:53 PM »

However the sound and lighting was so much better than all the times I’ve been to Cropredy even right at the back of the field. Perhaps they have better funding, I don’t know, but it was pristine.

Ignoring as best I can the horrors of (most of) the artists you had to endure, I'm intrigued by this, as weather aside, there is no reason really why the sound at one similar festival set up should sound massively different from another?  By the time you get to that level, one's not really talking about 'better PA's", is one?  Which brings it down to sound engineering, doesn't it?  I genuinely have no idea... but thoughts....?

All I know is that the sound was amazing! Also there were no horrors to endure as you put it. The musicianship was superb, the singing was excellent and it was great FUN! Remember that word David?

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: