TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:13:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803481 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1180 on: July 04, 2019, 06:19:25 PM »

TC&I, Swindon Arts Centre.

One of the best gigs of my life.  A huge amount of love and respect in the room...Colin still has the voice, and the amazing bass playing, and Terry hits the drums harder than anyone I've ever seen playing live.  The rest of the band, especially guitarist Steve Tilling were outstanding.

The new stuff stood up more than well...and the old stuff sounded majestic.  G&M, Nigel etc all fantastic, of course, but the highlight for me?  Bungalow.  Tears in my eyes stuff.  Just brilliant.

Everything that David said...It was a terrific evening...and I also shed a little tear... Cry

The biggest surprise of the evening though was Terry Chambers...Good grief !...He still attacks those drums with the same power and precision as he did 36 years ago...I was really not expecting that... Cool

It would be nice if this was a regular thing, and the Arts Centre is a smashing little venue...Colin seemed very relaxed, in great voice and really enjoying himself...Listening to recent interviews though I do get the impression that he's a reluctant performer, much happier writing and recording, so I wouldn't hold my breath for any sort of tour...But who knows ?

There's a live review of the first night here https://louderthanwar.com/tci-swindon-arts-centre-live-review/?fbclid=IwAR3Qw4Mp0r6Az2HzMXMRyeSZ33rb6m6XZVLij0H_krlUP5X0FtiqQIJ8hhk#.W9_6rvhceC0.twitter

Just in case there are any XTC fans out there...the live album of these wondrous shows is now due for release... https://burningshed.com/tcandi_naked-flames_cd?filter_tag=tc

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1181 on: July 12, 2019, 06:27:57 PM »

With the Doobie Brothers before a smoking gig Tuesday night at the hot, hot, hot as Hades Austin360 Amphitheater.

* Doobies 7-9-2019.jpg (211.34 KB, 1600x1066 - viewed 830 times.)
Cool Cat
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #1182 on: July 13, 2019, 02:23:01 PM »

Last night at Hyde Park: Neil Young and Bob Dylan

I heard from some mates who were there.  Neil was excellent.  

When Dylan came on, his voice was poor but he sat down at the keyboards and played 6 or 7 songs they didn't know.  The crowd weren't bothered with him and were just talking as though it was just background music.  Then there was a steady stream of people leaving and going home - easily 100 people per minute. They said they'd never seen anything like it.  

They know their music and said they did not recognise anything he played, except for a very different version of Like a Rolling Stone.  Said it was like listening to a bad singer on a cruise ship or a hotel lobby.  The 'exodus' increased. Even people with Dylan t-shirts (ie fans) were leaving.  When he left the stage, so did most of the audience, although he returned to sing Blowin in the Wind.

You have to assume most of those leaving early had only been there for Neil Young but, even so ...

Such a shame.  He was clearly having an off night.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1183 on: July 13, 2019, 03:46:29 PM »

When Dylan came on, his voice was poor.....

They know their music and said they did not recognise anything he played, except for a very different version of Like a Rolling Stone.  

Not for the first time this has happened! Last saw him some 15-20 years ago at the old Hammersmith Odeon and the evening was just the same. Mumbled vocals to unrecognisable versions of well-known songs....

Born to Run (but not very fast)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1184 on: July 13, 2019, 06:35:31 PM »

When Dylan came on, his voice was poor but he sat down at the keyboards and played 6 or 7 songs they didn't know.  The crowd weren't bothered with him and were just talking as though it was just background music.  Then there was a steady stream of people leaving and going home - easily 100 people per minute. They said they'd never seen anything like it.  

They know their music and said they did not recognise anything he played, except for a very different version of Like a Rolling Stone.  Said it was like listening to a bad singer on a cruise ship or a hotel lobby.  The 'exodus' increased. Even people with Dylan t-shirts (ie fans) were leaving.  When he left the stage, so did most of the audience, although he returned to sing Blowin in the Wind.

You have to assume most of those leaving early had only been there for Neil Young but, even so ...

There is a lot of discussion of this on other forums with a good number of people who were in the golden circle, i.e near the front claiming that Bob was actually excellent. I have seen video evidence of a very lovely Girl From The North Country. But he isn't inclined to give audiences what they expect or make it easy or them and the show that he has been touring for the last decade or more is not suited to stadiums, arenas and parks. It needs a more intimate setting and consequently probably does not travel beyond the first 50 rows of the crowd. I confess that I would not take a chance on Bob these days, certainly not in a huge field but anyone who went expecting the Bob of '64, '75, '78, '84 or even the early 90s really should have known better at this point.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #1185 on: July 13, 2019, 07:59:42 PM »

KISS last night in Manchester,feel free to mock but it was the supreme example of Rock and Roll pantomime! Great fun.

Happy mainly.
PeteD
They choose the path where no one goes...Gercha!

« Reply #1186 on: July 14, 2019, 12:20:09 AM »

I was there and would have to agree. Neil was excellent with superb backing from Promise of the Real. Never seen Dylan before so was not really sure what to expect. All I can say is I was one of those many that left early to avoid the crowds and find a pub before closing time and I didn't regret that decision. Neil should have gone on last.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1187 on: July 14, 2019, 10:55:10 AM »

Ian McNabb at Thornton Hough Village Club. Ian on top form last night, a couple of songs in he decided to tear up the set list and take requests, his own stuff for the first set and covers for a good part of the second. Made a good fist of everything thrown at him (except for Stayin' Alive and anything by The La's which he flat out refused to do), You're the One That I Want in the style of Dylan being particularly surreal. From the sublime - The Killing Moon, Working Class Hero - to the ridiculous - Mull of Kintyre, The Wonder of You. Huge fun, great night, the guy is an absolute treasure.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1188 on: July 14, 2019, 04:12:07 PM »

Salif Keita last night in Prospect Park, Brooklyn. I have never managed to see Salif before and he was both magnificently attired, and magnificent in performance. He apologized that his full band wasn't there due to visa issues, which I had to wonder about, since he already had I think 6 other musicians! About mid set he did a few songs solo on guitar that were just captivating. On a hot summer night with friends and my new lady by my side (along with her mom and sister) it was a wonderful night. It was wonderful seeing them dancing to some of Salif's songs that had an Afro-Latin vibe as they are originally from Cuba. Evening marred only by a blackout in Manhattan which made for a long and hot 2 hour subway/bus ride home.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 04:23:41 PM by RobertD » Logged

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1189 on: July 15, 2019, 01:45:06 AM »

I was there and would have to agree. Neil was excellent with superb backing from Promise of the Real. Never seen Dylan before so was not really sure what to expect. All I can say is I was one of those many that left early to avoid the crowds and find a pub before closing time and I didn't regret that decision. Neil should have gone on last.
... but then you wouldn’t have made the pub before closing time  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1190 on: July 15, 2019, 05:48:27 AM »

Ian McNabb at Thornton Hough Village Club. Ian on top form last night, a couple of songs in he decided to tear up the set list and take requests, his own stuff for the first set and covers for a good part of the second. Made a good fist of everything thrown at him (except for Stayin' Alive and anything by The La's which he flat out refused to do), You're the One That I Want in the style of Dylan being particularly surreal. From the sublime - The Killing Moon, Working Class Hero - to the ridiculous - Mull of Kintyre, The Wonder of You. Huge fun, great night, the guy is an absolute treasure.

Wonder if anyone pressed record...I'd like to hear that.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1191 on: July 15, 2019, 09:08:15 AM »

Wonder if anyone pressed record...I'd like to hear that.  

I expect John Kidd, who runs the Facebook group, will have recorded it, although I feel Ian may not give him the okay to post it - he did say to the few who were filming not to put any of the covers on YouTube, which I can understand, it was definitely 'of the moment' and probably wouldn't look too good out of context, it was a essentially Ian leading a pretty ragged singalong.
PeteD
They choose the path where no one goes...Gercha!

« Reply #1192 on: July 15, 2019, 12:05:29 PM »

Very True! But for Neil I would have risked missing the pub. That's how much of a Neil Young fan I am.  Smiley

The pubs in central London do close very early don't they? 10.30pm on a Saturday night and they are all locking the doors.  Huh
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1193 on: July 15, 2019, 12:21:09 PM »

A pal of mine in Kilkenny last night sent some video of crowds flocking out of the stadium there, only when i turned the sound up and after a few minutes careful listening did i realise it was the Zim murdering his back catalogue.

The Dude abides
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #1194 on: July 15, 2019, 04:47:38 PM »

Folk by the Oak yesterday.  I had not been to this for the last couple of years and it was a shame to miss both the cricket and the tennis (mildly entertaining, I’m told), but this was pretty much a perfect day.  All the acts were good, but the standout ones for me were Karine Polwart and the Spell Songs project.  Frank Turner was the best closing act they have had for a while.  Never seen crowd–surfing at a folk festival before!
richardkendell

« Reply #1195 on: July 15, 2019, 05:12:07 PM »

Folk by the Oak yesterday.  I had not been to this for the last couple of years and it was a shame to miss both the cricket and the tennis (mildly entertaining, I’m told), but this was pretty much a perfect day.  All the acts were good, but the standout ones for me were Karine Polwart and the Spell Songs project.  Frank Turner was the best closing act they have had for a while.  Never seen crowd–surfing at a folk festival before!

I too thought Frank Turner was good but describing him as punk or folk seems to me to be excessive genre stretching. Of the other acts I liked Talisk best, Seth Lakeman offered something fresh 15 years ago but 15 years on that is no longer the case, he was better on the solo parts of the act I thought. Spell songs seemed to me to be less than the sum of their parts and I got a bit fed up with the inter song chat of The Staves. I particularly enjoyed three of the Acorn stage acts, The Trials of Cato, Grace Petrie and Elephant Sessions. Overall a very pleasant day.
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #1196 on: July 15, 2019, 10:08:37 PM »

I too thought Frank Turner was good but describing him as punk or folk seems to me to be excessive genre stretching. Of the other acts I liked Talisk best, Seth Lakeman offered something fresh 15 years ago but 15 years on that is no longer the case, he was better on the solo parts of the act I thought. Spell songs seemed to me to be less than the sum of their parts and I got a bit fed up with the inter song chat of The Staves. I particularly enjoyed three of the Acorn stage acts, The Trials of Cato, Grace Petrie and Elephant Sessions. Overall a very pleasant day.

I agree about Turner.  If I had to categorise him as anything, it would be a straightforward rock musician.  I thought his comments on folk were very tongue-in-cheek (I suspect he may use them again at Cropredy) and the burst of punk at the end was rather tacked-on, although it complemented the fireworks perfectly.  I didn’t catch that much of the Acorn stage.  I did enjoy the Trials of Cato – I’d look out for them again – and the tree walk was fun.  Brighde Chaimbeul’s piping isn’t really my thing, although I do find her ‘Reeling’ cd wonderful for work, in the sense that it is lovely background music and not remotely distracting.  I don’t suppose she would find that terribly flattering!

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1197 on: July 16, 2019, 01:23:22 PM »

Very True! But for Neil I would have risked missing the pub. That's how much of a Neil Young fan I am.  Smiley

The pubs in central London do close very early don't they? 10.30pm on a Saturday night and they are all locking the doors.  Huh
We found that a few years ago - couldn't believe it!  and yes I'd have happily missed a session in the pub for Mr Young  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1198 on: July 22, 2019, 07:33:08 AM »

A lovely evening with Graham Nash at the New Theatre, Oxford. His voice doesn’t seem to have changed, still as good as ever and so many memories. Bus Stop from the Hollies, and most of his songs from the CSNY years and Songs For Beginners, many I had never heard live before and most accompanied by stories about their writing. Good to hear Right Between the Eyes played lived having almost worn out Four Way Street in my teens. We also got Love The One You’re With, 4+20 and even A Day in the Life. Accompanied by Shane Fontaine on guitars and Todd Caldwell on keyboards, who was interestingly described as being from the CSN band. No hint of any discord , so who knows, perhaps hatchets might get buried.

Only disappointment was the audience  - about 50% full at best. Probably the wrong venue but I’m certainly glad he chose it.

Mid point of an eclectic few weeks. Lytham Festival last week with Stereophonics, Kylie/Sophie Ellis Bextor, Rod Stewart/Wet Wet Wet/Joanne Shaw Taylor, and Michael Ball/Sheridan Smith, and WOMAD to come this week.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1199 on: July 22, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »

A lovely evening with Graham Nash at the New Theatre, Oxford. His voice doesn’t seem to have changed, still as good as ever and so many memories. Bus Stop from the Hollies, and most of his songs from the CSNY years and Songs For Beginners, many I had never heard live before and most accompanied by stories about their writing. Good to hear Right Between the Eyes played lived having almost worn out Four Way Street in my teens. We also got Love The One You’re With, 4+20 and even A Day in the Life. Accompanied by Shane Fontaine on guitars and Todd Caldwell on keyboards, who was interestingly described as being from the CSN band. No hint of any discord , so who knows, perhaps hatchets might get buried.

Only disappointment was the audience  - about 50% full at best. Probably the wrong venue but I’m certainly glad he chose it.

Mid point of an eclectic few weeks. Lytham Festival last week with Stereophonics, Kylie/Sophie Ellis Bextor, Rod Stewart/Wet Wet Wet/Joanne Shaw Taylor, and Michael Ball/Sheridan Smith, and WOMAD to come this week.

Or the wrong prices.

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: