TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:00:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803553 times)
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #1140 on: June 06, 2019, 09:33:13 PM »

Battered and bruised after watching Guided By Voices down in that London.  The band had a lot more stamina than this here punter.  Wouldn't have missed it for the world though.

Jules

I bet that was a full on experience. Did they do new stuff or rely on a selection of their old stuff, they do have 100s of songs to choose from. Wouldn't like the job of cherry picking from their catalogue.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1141 on: June 06, 2019, 11:57:18 PM »

I bet that was a full on experience. Did they do new stuff or rely on a selection of their old stuff, they do have 100s of songs to choose from. Wouldn't like the job of cherry picking from their catalogue.

Two and a half hours.  Two thirds new stuff, but plenty of old favourites and a handful of what the kids call "deep cuts".

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1142 on: June 10, 2019, 04:08:47 PM »

Ian Prowse and Amsterdam in Leeds on Saturday. Best gig of the year so far, over 2 hours with the full range of styles from Pele days through to latest solo stuff. He was physically drained at the end of the show, superb stuff.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1143 on: June 14, 2019, 11:05:38 AM »

Last night's fun : the mighty Toto at Chelsea Hospital Barracks, home of the Chelsea Pensioners, a beautiful and interesting venue.

Opening act The Darkness were far better than I had anticipated, very entertaining - who wouldn't warm to them opening their set with "Givin' up, givin' up givin' a f***" ?!

And Toto - I tend to run out of superlatives when describing them, how can a band be allowed to play that well, especially on such a grim and grey English evening ?

The current touring line up : guitarist Steve Lukather, vocalist Joseph Williams, keyboardist Steve Porcaro, drummer Shannon Forrest, bassist Shem von Schroeck, percussionist Lenny Castro, saxophonist and vocalist Warren Ham and (subbing for an indisposed David Paich) wonder keyboardist Xavier Taplin delivered a career-ranging set of amazing quality. On this showing, really hope I get to see them again, they were that good !

Here's what they played :

Devil's Tower
Hold The Line
Lovers In The Night
Alone
I Will Remember
English Eyes
Jake To The Bone
Rosanna
Georgy Porgy
Human Nature
I'll Be Over You
No Love
Stop Loving You
Piano Solo (Xavier Taplin)
Girl Goodbye
Lion
Dune (Desert Theme)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Make Believe
Africa

Encore :
Home Of The Brave
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #1144 on: June 16, 2019, 04:16:56 PM »

A fundraising event at the Exchange with the Carnaby Army.  Essentially, an evening of Sixties’ covers.  A sellout, with guest spots from members of the Artwoods and the Downliners Sect.  Splendidly entertaining.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1145 on: June 16, 2019, 07:20:41 PM »

I’ve been to a few lately...

“Manoeuvres” - an OMD tribute, husband & wife duo with bags of energy and faithful reproductions. Thoroughly enjoyed them, great atmosphere with everyone dancing. Imogen Bebe supporting is one to watch. The evening was vastly improved by seeing an old friend who had a 10 hour operation last year to remove a tumour in his throat. To see him up dancing and smiling, albeit a wonky one, was fantastic  Smiley

“Take That” - yes, the boy band. Very slick. Great singalong tunes. Don’t care if I never see them again.

“Sir Elton John” - what a superb performer. He had the adoring audience eating out of his hand. Hit after hit from the 60’s to the present day played by an excellent band. Slight problems with the sound echoing around the stadium (Cardiff City) but this stopped when the rain came down! So glad I’ve finally seen him.

Not everyone’s cup of tea but I enjoyed them   Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1146 on: June 18, 2019, 09:13:27 AM »

Enjoyed Jon Boden last night at Nettlebed.  It was a totally solo show, with him playing a selection of songs from his Afterglow album, a bunch of trad songs - some of which were Bellowhead favourites - and a brief run through his Spotify 'hit' (which he says has had millions more plays than anything else of his on there), 'How Long Will I Love You', which he sang on the About Time film.  And then the icing on the cake was a Spiers and Boden reunion for a couple of songs (Jack Robinson and The Prickle-Eye Bush) for the encores.  They said it was the first time they'd played together for five years, but you wouldn't have known, even keeping the whole thing going when Jon's fiddle bridge came loose with an audible crack as they started the second song, and he laid it down, picked up first a guitar, and then his concertina.

We also got John Spiers playing some tunes on his own, and a couple of songs with Jackie Oates, in between sets.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1147 on: June 18, 2019, 12:16:28 PM »

Enjoyed Jon Boden last night at Nettlebed.  It was a totally solo show, with him playing a selection of songs from his Afterglow album, a bunch of trad songs - some of which were Bellowhead favourites - and a brief run through his Spotify 'hit' (which he says has had millions more plays than anything else of his on there), 'How Long Will I Love You', which he sang on the About Time film.  And then the icing on the cake was a Spiers and Boden reunion for a couple of songs (Jack Robinson and The Prickle-Eye Bush) for the encores.  They said it was the first time they'd played together for five years, but you wouldn't have known, even keeping the whole thing going when Jon's fiddle bridge came loose with an audible crack as they started the second song, and he laid it down, picked up first a guitar, and then his concertina.

We also got John Spiers playing some tunes on his own, and a couple of songs with Jackie Oates, in between sets.
A Spiers & Boden reunion! how wonderful  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1148 on: June 21, 2019, 09:25:48 AM »

So...24 years (eek !) after I first saw King Crimson in the same venue, they were wonderful - much better and more, shall we say, amiable, than they were in 1995...even from my heavily-discounted crow's nest perch at the top of the Royal Albert Hall, the sound was pin-sharp (whoever tries to tell you the sound in the RAH is lousy, it's a vicious rumour).

No photos, as none were allowed (an edict mostly complied with), and some might say that a band with 3 drummers is a little excessive - on this showing, the more the merrier.

The 7-piece Crimson (Robert Fripp, Jakko Jakszyk, Tony Levin, Mel Collins, Pat Mastelotto, Jeremy Stacey, Gavin Harrison) conjured up soundscapes both familiar and strange. Jakko Jakszyk in particular subbing admirably for almost every lead vocalist the band have ever had, in a setlist that covered a fair old sweep of Crims history.

They played a different set every night of their 3 shows at the RAH, this is what we got last night (show 3) :

Set 1 :

Hell Hounds of Krim
Discipline
Indiscipline
Frame by Frame
Moonchild
The Court of the Crimson King
Drumzilla
Cirkus
Lizard
Peace: An End
Pictures of a City

Set 2 :

CatalytiKc No. 9
The Letters
Neurotica
Epitaph
Radical Action II
Level Five
Islands
Easy Money
Starless

Encore:

21st Century Schizoid Man
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1149 on: June 21, 2019, 02:50:55 PM »

There's a KC cd (and interview with Fripp) with the latest Mojo mag comprising "rare, classic, unusual and live 1969-2019". I must admit to knowing little of their music so this is a useful introduction. They were always on my list of bands to check out after learning that Bill Bruford left Yes to join them in the early 70s but I never got round to it. Better late than never!

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1150 on: June 21, 2019, 03:26:51 PM »

I've seen the Crims on the last few UK/Europe tours and last night was by far the best I've seen. (So sorry you missed out, DavidMJS…  Sad )

Incidentally, Dr. Bruford was there last night; and, while waiting for the doors to open, Nile Rogers walked by towards an "artists only" entrance - I had visions of FunKing Crimson for a moment. But he re-emerged 10 mins later. He must have an endless supply of pristine white berets...

Flobbadob!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1151 on: June 21, 2019, 04:02:43 PM »

I've seen the Crims on the last few UK/Europe tours and last night was by far the best I've seen. (So sorry you missed out, DavidMJS…  Sad )

Incidentally, Dr. Bruford was there last night; and, while waiting for the doors to open, Nile Rogers walked by towards an "artists only" entrance - I had visions of FunKing Crimson for a moment. But he re-emerged 10 mins later. He must have an endless supply of pristine white berets...

Not a recent gig - probably about 20 years ago - I saw Bill Bruford with his band play a small venue at the Dundee jazz festival. It was wonderful to be up close and watch him play. He made playing the drums look so effortless. Bit like when I saw Bill Wyman with his Rhythm Kings. His fingers hardly seemed to touch the strings.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1152 on: June 22, 2019, 10:24:00 AM »

So a joyous although slightly poignant night last night at the Royal Albert Hall celebrating the life of Pete Shelley. The evening kicked off with Pauline Murray and Penetration. They only played for half an hour but set the tone brilliantly. Her voice is as strong as ever. Then came The Skids who were just extraordinary! The power of the band is phenomenal and Richard Jobson is the perfect front man. They played all their hits and even included the song TV Stars (probably better known as Albert Tatlock!) along with a Sex Pistols/ Buzzcocks medley. They were undeniably brilliant.

The whole evening was primarily for Pete Shelley and the Buzzcocks set was compered by Paul Morley and began with a message on the big screen from Howard Devoto. Then the original members of the band did few songs followed by guest vocalists including Captain Sensible, Dave Vanian, Peter Perrett, Thurston Moore, Pauline Murray, Richard Jobson and Tim Burgess. It was great if a little disjointed but so so glad I was there! The evening ended with an appearance from Pete’s wife and I left the hall hoarse from singing along and, for the first time in many years, my ears were ringing.

Born to Run (but not very fast)
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1153 on: June 24, 2019, 07:24:40 AM »

The Eagles at Wembley. Had been a little apprehensive as concerned they may have been a bit too slick but needn’t have worried. A great evening with fabulous harmonies, fine guitar playing and all those wonderful songs. Not simply a case of replicating the records either. Joe Walsh on fine form especially a storming Rocky Mountain Way. No Glenn Frey could have been a problem but they have replaced him with his son, who sounds very like him, and Vince Gill - never heard him before, but a fine singer.

Sheryl Crow an excellent support. Again, had not really heard much before but will in the future.

A lot spoken recently about sound in stadium gigs. From where we were sat, there was no problem and sound was good throughout, including for the support.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1154 on: June 24, 2019, 09:22:51 AM »

The whole evening was primarily for Pete Shelley and the Buzzcocks set was compered by Paul Morley and began with a message on the big screen from Howard Devoto. Then the original members of the band did few songs followed by guest vocalists including Captain Sensible, Dave Vanian, Peter Perrett, Thurston Moore, Pauline Murray, Richard Jobson and Tim Burgess. It was great if a little disjointed but so so glad I was there! The evening ended with an appearance from Pete’s wife and I left the hall hoarse from singing along and, for the first time in many years, my ears were ringing.

I'm glad Peter Perrett was there - he's got the right style of voice for Pete's songs.  I'm very disappointed that Howard Devoto didn't make it in person though.

Jules

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1155 on: June 24, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »

I'm glad Peter Perrett was there - he's got the right style of voice for Pete's songs.  I'm very disappointed that Howard Devoto didn't make it in person though.

Jules

Yes all Howard Devoto provided was a few words in front of some still photos. I thought all the guest vocalists were excellent especially Tim Burgess when he sang “you say you don’t love me”. Mind you I was mightily impressed by Dave Vanian. Peter Perrett seemed to be in his usual state of not really knowing where he was!

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1156 on: June 24, 2019, 07:13:29 PM »

especially Tim Burgess when he sang “you say you don’t love me”.

One of my absolute favourite Pete Shelley songs.

Jules

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1157 on: June 24, 2019, 07:27:12 PM »

especially Tim Burgess when he sang “you say you don’t love me”.

One of my absolute favourite Pete Shelley songs.

Jules

Mine too  Grin I reckon you and went to the same gigs and bought the same records back in the day!

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1158 on: June 25, 2019, 09:13:44 AM »

I reckon you and I went to the same gigs and bought the same records back in the day!

I wouldn't be so sure.  I was exposed to Buzzcocks via my big brother.  I only bought my own copies relatively recently.  And as for gigs - I didn't get out much.  Still don't, truth be told.

Jules

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1159 on: June 25, 2019, 10:14:51 AM »

I reckon you and I went to the same gigs and bought the same records back in the day!

I wouldn't be so sure.  I was exposed to Buzzcocks via my big brother.  I only bought my own copies relatively recently.  And as for gigs - I didn't get out much.  Still don't, truth be told.

Jules

Aah OK...I was buying those records first time around back in the 1970s when I was 17 or 18...now I’m starting to feel very old  Shocked

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: