TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:26:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803485 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1120 on: May 25, 2019, 06:46:46 PM »

Really wish I had got to the Long Ryders reunion now.

They're planning another one.  Apparently Greg can't make it over though, so they're hunting for a stand-in drummer.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #1121 on: May 25, 2019, 08:53:44 PM »

They're planning another one.  Apparently Greg can't make it over though, so they're hunting for a stand-in drummer.

Jules

Ah, good news.  Thanks, Jules.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1122 on: May 26, 2019, 10:18:03 AM »

Jules

Didn't know about Greg. Sid said they were looking at October for some more UK dates but I've seen nothing confirmed yet. They're here in July for three shows (Gateshead, Birmingham and Bristol) which I assume Greg will be present for, hoping to make Birmingham, the Manchester show last month was outstanding.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1123 on: May 30, 2019, 10:27:46 AM »

I saw Thea Gilmore at The Acapela in Pentyrch (nr Cardiff) last night. Excellent show, with a nice mixture of old and new stuff. A lovely cover of 'Sweet Child of Mine' was an unexpected bonus. As always, Nigel Stonier was a more than capable backing musician, as was Mastt Owens, who also did a short support set - very talented man. I was a little disappointed that Katriona Gilmore wasn't present, as she was supposed to be part of the band on this tour. No explanations given, but Matt's fiddle playing was pretty decent.

Thea was in top form and, as always, gave a thoroughly professional performance in the quirky surroundings of this old converted church. And it was great to hear 'Saviours and All', which I hadn't heard live for many a long year.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1124 on: May 30, 2019, 10:35:41 AM »

I saw Thea Gilmore at The Acapela in Pentyrch (nr Cardiff) last night. Excellent show, with a nice mixture of old and new stuff. A lovely cover of 'Sweet Child of Mine' was an unexpected bonus. As always, Nigel Stonier was a more than capable backing musician, as was Mastt Owens, who also did a short support set - very talented man. I was a little disappointed that Katriona Gilmore wasn't present, as she was supposed to be part of the band on this tour. No explanations given, but Matt's fiddle playing was pretty decent.

Thea was in top form and, as always, gave a thoroughly professional performance in the quirky surroundings of this old converted church. And it was great to hear 'Saviours and All', which I hadn't heard live for many a long year.

There was a FB post a couple of days ago saying Kat was returning to Willows duties. Ironically the next two Willows gigs have now been cancelled due to illness of one of the band (not Kat).
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1125 on: May 31, 2019, 12:19:38 PM »

There was a FB post a couple of days ago saying Kat was returning to Willows duties. Ironically the next two Willows gigs have now been cancelled due to illness of one of the band (not Kat).

Yes, I saw that after I posted. I knew there had to be a simple reason

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1126 on: June 02, 2019, 12:23:36 AM »

Joe Jackson, May 31, 2019, Paramount Theater, Austin, Texas!

We went ahead and spontaneously bought tix to see Joe Jackson last night, a first-time event for me and Mrs. J From A.

He was fabulous - I was familiar with more of his songs than I anticipated, and the set-list was carefully curated to give us highs and lows, news and olds, and lots of unexpected delights.  I loved the way he swing from punk pop to jazz and back, and his three-piece band was on fire all night.  I believe he's returning to the UK for shows this summer, and I can't recommend him highly enough.

Mrs. J From A and I made the "A-List" in the Austin American-Statesman for the first time (a roving photographer took our photo right before the show).  For anyone who can see it, here's a link to the photo gallery:  https://www.austin360.com/photogallery/TX/20190601/ENTERTAINMENTLIFE/601009997/PH/1  I'm the one wearing an orange and white striped polo shirt with a beautiful blonde on my arm.  I understand many of you will not be able to view this due to EU restrictions...
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1127 on: June 02, 2019, 12:18:52 PM »

We went ahead and spontaneously bought tix to see Joe Jackson last night, a first-time event for me and Mrs. J From A.

He was fabulous - I was familiar with more of his songs than I anticipated, and the set-list was carefully curated to give us highs and lows, news and olds, and lots of unexpected delights.  I loved the way he swing from punk pop to jazz and back, and his three-piece band was on fire all night.  I believe he's returning to the UK for shows this summer, and I can't recommend him highly enough.

Mrs. J From A and I made the "A-List" in the Austin American-Statesman for the first time (a roving photographer took our photo right before the show).  For anyone who can see it, here's a link to the photo gallery:  https://www.austin360.com/photogallery/TX/20190601/ENTERTAINMENTLIFE/601009997/PH/1  I'm the one wearing an orange and white striped polo shirt with a beautiful blonde on my arm.  I understand many of you will not be able to view this due to EU restrictions...

After we leave the EU we'll probably have to pay to access such sites instead. There'll probably be a tariff on it.  Wink

You could always post the photo on here or are there copyright issues?

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1128 on: June 02, 2019, 04:12:19 PM »

After we leave the EU we'll probably have to pay to access such sites instead. There'll probably be a tariff on it.  Wink

You could always post the photo on here or are there copyright issues?

Yes I couldn’t view them. I’d love to see Joe Jackson - I hope he ventures near South Wales!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1129 on: June 02, 2019, 04:24:23 PM »

I saw Joe Jackson in his first flush of success, his set featuring the album "Look Sharp". It's very difficult to see anything surpassing that, even now.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1130 on: June 02, 2019, 07:56:30 PM »

Fantastic! I’ve seen him a few times live, and he’s never disappointed me.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1131 on: June 03, 2019, 05:34:56 PM »

We finally made the Statesman's A-List at Joe Jackson:

* A List Joe Jackson Photo 5-31-2019.jpg (35.77 KB, 606x412 - viewed 623 times.)
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1132 on: June 03, 2019, 05:49:36 PM »

We finally made the Statesman's A-List at Joe Jackson

I would congratulate you if I knew what that meant.  Maybe it's a US-only thing.  You know, like The Doobie Brothers.   Wink

Jules

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1133 on: June 03, 2019, 06:25:34 PM »

I would congratulate you if I knew what that meant.  Maybe it's a US-only thing.  You know, like The Doobie Brothers.   Wink

Jules

Grin
The local newspaper sends a photographer to virtually every concert in town to shoot the audience pre-show, and then the band.  They publish select photos the next day under the heading "A-List."  I've been going to concerts in this town for over 35 years without appearing on the A-List, or even encountering the photographer, until last Friday night.  I feel I have arrived, socially speaking.
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #1134 on: June 04, 2019, 02:29:42 AM »

Jules

Grin
The local newspaper sends a photographer to virtually every concert in town to shoot the audience pre-show, and then the band.  They publish select photos the next day under the heading "A-List."  I've been going to concerts in this town for over 35 years without appearing on the A-List, or even encountering the photographer, until last Friday night.  I feel I have arrived, socially speaking.

In that case, congratulations both!

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1135 on: June 05, 2019, 09:33:02 AM »

Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets at The Old Market in Hove last night. Just fabulous. I had a huge grin on my face all evening. First time I have seen Nick since 1984 but I knew we were on safe ground when the set began with So It Goes and Ragin' Eyes and continued with plenty more of similar business. Great to hear Nick rock out again after the more mellow material of his later albums. My only criticism was interrupting the set to let the band play a mini set of their own rather than doing this at the beginning but it is a very minor complaint and actually they were very enjoyable (though there is no excuse for any performance of My Heart Will Go On, even as an instrumental in the style of Miserlou).

Raucous, enthusiastic sell out crowd too.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1136 on: June 05, 2019, 12:07:26 PM »

Ooh, I didn't know Nick was going out electric again.

Jules

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1137 on: June 05, 2019, 02:31:38 PM »

Fabulous report Al, I'm glad it was a good show. Personally I haven't 'dug his mood' to paraphrase recently. I might be in a minority, but I want to hear Nick rock!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1138 on: June 05, 2019, 03:12:52 PM »

Fabulous report Al, I'm glad it was a good show. Personally I haven't 'dug his mood' to paraphrase recently. I might be in a minority, but I want to hear Nick rock!

He certainly seems to be doing that on this tour. I haven't heard the two EPs (though I plan to put that right) but Los Straitjackets seem to have reinvigorated him over the last couple of years.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1139 on: June 06, 2019, 06:24:58 PM »

Battered and bruised after watching Guided By Voices down in that London.  The band had a lot more stamina than this here punter.  Wouldn't have missed it for the world though.

Jules

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: