TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:38:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803471 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1100 on: May 09, 2019, 06:16:13 PM »

UK Subs last week. Charlie is about 75 I think, but still going strong. Played the first album (40 years old this year) in it's entirety. So that took care of 20 minutes.  Cheesy Three support bands (The Shelter from Uttoxeter were very good I thought), and then The Subs did about an hour. Good stuff, and Warhead is one of the great songs to see performed live.

On the 25th!  I'd like to catch them, definitely.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #1101 on: May 10, 2019, 09:56:56 AM »

Jasper Carrott and the Bev Bevan Band at St David's Hall on Wednesday night.  Great show - the Carrott hasn't lost his touch, and thoroughly enjoyed the 60s and 70s music from Bev Bevan and his band. The whole thing had a "holiday" feel, as if they were preparing for a summer tour of holiday camps. Great fun!

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1102 on: May 10, 2019, 10:04:22 AM »

Jasper Carrott and the Bev Bevan Band at St David's Hall on Wednesday night.  Great show - the Carrott hasn't lost his touch, and thoroughly enjoyed the 60s and 70s music from Bev Bevan and his band. The whole thing had a "holiday" feel, as if they were preparing for a summer tour of holiday camps. Great fun!

What material was Bev playing?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1103 on: May 10, 2019, 11:23:39 AM »

Metal, wood, and mylar.

Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1104 on: May 10, 2019, 12:09:02 PM »

I'm trying to remember what was played and the grey matter is letting me down  Shocked Geoff Turton of the Rocking Berries sang a few numbers and told some funny stories.
I remember:
Running Scared
Happy Together
Heard it Thru the Grapevine
Simply the Best ( Lips Sealed)
Roll Over Beethoven
With A Little Help from my Friends
Something
Mr Blue Sky
Don't Bring Me Down
Paranoid
Rocking All Over The World

There was more....

As Ancient said, would have gone down a treat at any Holiday Camp. Proper Les Battersby stuff!  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1105 on: May 10, 2019, 12:47:52 PM »

Metal, wood, and mylar.

Grin

Jules

Grin Grin ;
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1106 on: May 10, 2019, 01:37:27 PM »

A brilliant night at the Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal last night seeing Flook. I'd forgotten quite how good Brian is on the flutes and whistles and the chemistry between the four of them is just wonderful. The set was made up primarily of tunes from their new cd with a smattering of older material. John Joe didn't contribute to the between song banter except with the occasional amusing facial expression. That's drummers for you.  Smiley

Plenty of chat about who they've been collaborating with and where the tunes came from including one written by Sam Lakeman which is seemingly the only thing he's ever composed on his own. The chat went a bit off-piste when they started talking about bunting they'd seen on their travels and it turned out there were bunting-makers in the audience who joined in the conversation.

But the music was what we were all there for and it was great to see the four of them together again. Phil Cunningham was in the audience and Sarah tried to get him on stage but without success. I think he contributed some squeeze box to the new album.

The only thumbs down part of the evening was a chap in front of me who started filming them during the second half. After ten minutes or so of this I tapped him on the shoulder and told him it was getting bloody annoying and thankfully he put his phone away. Taking the odd photo and maybe filming one or two numbers I can tolerate but he was just taking the mick.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1107 on: May 11, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »

Tubular Bells for Two at Worthing Pavillion last night was, as promised by fellow TAWers, thoroughly entertaining.

It is only possible of course because of modern digital looping technology and it was not without the occasional small mistake but that is part of the charm of the show and what keeps up the suspense to see whether the two musicians can actually make it through the huge array of instruments without disaster. In its way, recreating the album faithfully on stage with just two musicians is almost as remarkable a feat as Oldfield's solo endeavours in the studio. Also, as I watched the thought occured to me, where else would I ever get the chance to hear this music played live in 2019? Wholly enjoyable and a huge standing ovation at the end.

A very different duo tonight: John Otway & Wild Willy Barrett
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1108 on: May 12, 2019, 02:37:00 PM »

The Dan Walsh Trio last night. I've seen him several times solo and in a duo, as well as in the UFQ, but this was the first time, I think, in a trio. It was jolly good, banjotastic in fact. He def seems to be one of the good guys, very amiable and likeable, as well as a splendid musician and excellent songwriter.
One third of the trio was Ciaran Algar, as off the cuff funny as ever. Plays a bit of fiddle too.
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1109 on: May 13, 2019, 11:43:15 AM »

New finding for me on Saturday. Went to see Curse of Lono support Samantha Fish, who I'd never come across before. Curse of Lono were excellent, playing an extended support set and Samantha Fish was a pleasant surprise. Rootsy blues based stuff, with a superb voice and very talented guitar player. Big crowd, 700+, so clearly lots of people know about her, not sure how I'd never heard her before.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1110 on: May 13, 2019, 02:29:35 PM »

The Better Oblivion Community Center last night at a very packed Manchester Ritz. Wonderful stuff. Mainly their own newer stuff, but they included three Bright Eyes songs and a Magnetic Fields cover. Seemed strange seeing Phoebe sing half of Lua but I am in love already!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1111 on: May 20, 2019, 05:13:34 PM »

ZZ Top/Bad Company/Cheap Trick, Austin360 Amphitheater, in sweltering far southeast Austin, last night!

Review here: https://www.austin360.com/entertainmentlife/20190520/zz-top-blasts-off-50th-birthday-bang-at-austin360-amphitheater

I confess that I skipped out after Bad Company finished their main set, listening to the unexpected encore "All Right Now" as I started hiking to my car.  I just don't have the stamina for these marathon outdoor concerts in the late spring/summer in Austin...
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #1112 on: May 20, 2019, 11:18:05 PM »

ZZ Top/Bad Company/Cheap Trick, Austin360 Amphitheater, in sweltering far southeast Austin, last night!

Review here: https://www.austin360.com/entertainmentlife/20190520/zz-top-blasts-off-50th-birthday-bang-at-austin360-amphitheater

I confess that I skipped out after Bad Company finished their main set, listening to the unexpected encore "All Right Now" as I started hiking to my car.  I just don't have the stamina for these marathon outdoor concerts in the late spring/summer in Austin...

Sadly John , your link seems blocked by security rules,
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1113 on: May 21, 2019, 01:48:06 AM »

Sadly John , your link seems blocked by security rules,

Blast, I was unfamiliar with the GDPR issues.  I guess I can't link to the Austin American-Statesman anymore.  In a nutshell, Cheap Trick played their hits, ably, and some fairly obscure material.  Bad Company was solid as always (as a four-piece, with Howard Leese handling all the electric guitar).  They surprised with: a new song written and sung by Simon Kirke, a cover of All Along the Watchtower, sung by Howard Leese, and the closing song All Right Now, with Paul giving a shout-out to Free and a video montage honoring Paul Kossoff and Andy Fraser.

The Statesman says ZZ Top was great; I'm sure they were solid, but I had just had enough of the heat and the rowdy crowd.  Sad
I also wanted to get home in time to stream the series finale of Game of Thrones.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1114 on: May 21, 2019, 10:37:21 AM »

The Statesman says ZZ Top was great; I'm sure they were solid, but I had just had enough of the heat and the rowdy crowd.  Sad
I also wanted to get home in time to stream the series finale of Game of Thrones.

Here's the set list - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/zz-top/2019/austin360-amphitheater-austin-tx-339020cd.html

Nice to see a couple of songs from Deguello which came out 40 years ago. One of my favourite albums of theirs.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1115 on: May 22, 2019, 11:21:01 PM »

Saving Grace in Stroud this evening... Superb!

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1116 on: May 23, 2019, 06:27:37 AM »

Saving Grace in Stroud this evening... Superb!

Excellent!   Smiley

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1117 on: May 23, 2019, 08:45:49 AM »

Having seen them supporting FC on the Wintour, I knew what to expect, but they are so much more assured and musically tighter now. All 5 of them looked to be having a really good time.

Flobbadob!
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1118 on: May 24, 2019, 09:26:10 AM »

The Wonderstuff, Southampton Engine Rooms last night. Very sweaty, loud and brilliant! Good to see Malcom Treece back in the band. They looked like they were having a blast, and I left with a big grin on my face. The set was exclusively culled from the first four albums, but a new release is due later this year. Very much looking forward to it.
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #1119 on: May 25, 2019, 05:27:11 PM »

Excellent double-bill at the Exchange with Sid Griffin and Peter Case.  Sid was on top form in the opener (a couple of Byrds numbers, a couple of Long Ryders tunes, a couple of things from his current cd).  Really wish I had got to the Long Ryders reunion now.  I hadn’t seen Case before, but he certainly did not disappoint.  He played without a set-list, taking a lot of requests from the audience.  I recognised a couple of songs from his iconic first solo album, as well as his covers (‘This Wheel’s on Fire’, ‘A Whiter Shade of Pale’).  All interspersed with some very witty anecdotes.  Sid and Peter played a few numbers together at the end.

The only disappointment was the poor turnout.  The (quite small) venue was just about half-full.  The Exchange is run by the local university and I don’t think they do any publicity.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: