TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 22, 2019, 08:18:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 109595 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #1060 on: April 17, 2019, 04:44:20 PM »

I liked Saving Grace, but as I said, it was very much a laid back performance. Moby Grape were indeed a fine band, but I didn't feel the need to applaud his recommendation.

As to the support band, Beez Kneez - Jeez Louise! Cheese.

See What I did Summer 2018  for a selection of my photos.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1061 on: April 17, 2019, 06:16:07 PM »

I liked Saving Grace, but as I said, it was very much a laid back performance. Moby Grape were indeed a fine band, but I didn't feel the need to applaud his recommendation.

Which Moby Grape song did they cover?  (I heart Moby Grape!)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1062 on: April 17, 2019, 06:25:08 PM »

It's a Beautiful Day Today

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1063 on: April 17, 2019, 07:15:41 PM »

My TAW comrades seem to disagree (elsewhere) but I thought Saving Grace (not Robert Plant) were superb last night in Carmarthen.  I kind of knew what to expect, so certainly wasn't left disappointed by the tone or the 'feel' of the gig.  Percy's voice is as is...very different from the past, but he sang last night in the same register he's been singing the rest of the shows, and although there was the hint of the end of a cold with the odd clearing of the throat, no harm down for me.  Equally, I actually thought the clarity of the sound out front was great, although the singers obviously had problems with their monitors, the correction of which led to a tiny bit of feedback at times.  There were some very quiet bits, and then very noisy guitars on the edge of feedback bits.  The sound guy had my sympathy if not everybody else's.

Suzy Dian is definitely one to watch for the future.  A lovely relaxed tone to her singing.  And, man, is she one worth watching...

Personally, I'd prefer these gigs in similar venues to those he played the Priory of Brion ones in...it needed a small club feel rather than a small theatre one.  But, hey, overall, Robert Plant singing Low and Moby Grape covers (both of which Percy bigged up to general indifference) along with some Appalachian gems?  More please....  I absolutely loved it.  The support were a bit unnecessary though.  Can't be doing with (even top quality) bar bands like that.  Sorry.

ps The only really depressing development was the man bun.  No excuses there, although I guess if you're 70 and you can, why not  Wink Smiley
Totally agree with you on the man bun David. His (2nd) best feature hidden away!

I enjoyed the support but I would have liked the keyboards a bit louder. Can't be easy to open for a rock God though...

Suzy Dian offers a total contrast to Percy - a definite Yin & Yan there! It works though, I thought the whole bands' voices blended beautifully and I loved the final number. I was hoping for a merch stall but I now understand there isn't a CD yet. I do hope there are plans for this - perfect laid-back music for warm summer evenings  Smiley

And on Mr Plant's recommendation I have checked out Moby Grape and find they are gloriously 60's and sound just like Marmalade. Which is a good thing Smiley

I literally spat out my tea at that one...  Grin
Glad to have been of assistance - the track I heard first sounded like Cousin Norman!

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1064 on: April 17, 2019, 07:25:25 PM »

It's a Beautiful Day Today

Now I have to go out and buy "Moby Grape '69!"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1065 on: April 17, 2019, 07:27:50 PM »

Every home should have one!

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1066 on: April 17, 2019, 11:07:52 PM »

Every home should have one!

It's not the usual opinion, but it's my favourite Grape album, mainly because Peter Lewis is my man, and his songs on it are outstanding.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1067 on: April 18, 2019, 09:05:29 AM »

I feel I should explain my "they sound like Marmalade" comment...

I'd heard of Moby Grape before Mr Plant's recommendation but none of their music, so I YouTube'd "full album" and a sort of Best of... came up. The first track on it is called "Hey Grandma" and, to my ears, it sounds like Cousin Norman by Marmalade. The jangly guitar is also a bit reminiscent of early FC in places. None of the other tracks sound remotely like Marmalade (who, incidentally, were the first Scottish band to top the UK charts!).

I'm now listening to Moby Grape '69 and enjoying it very much Smiley

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1068 on: April 18, 2019, 09:47:48 AM »

I really should get around to listening to the Grape.

I first heard of them in a sidebar feature that you get in music magazines about band names.
They were facing possible copyright infringement or something, from the family of Herman Melville and changed the name to Maby Grope.
Then I read an interview with Planty where he stated that they were the best band ever.
So I borrowed a copy of Vintage: The Very Best of Moby Grape from the library.
Unfortunately my dad died just then, so I couldn't face listening to it and associating it with that time, so I....naughtily....taped it.
That was twenty years ago.....

Blimey.

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1069 on: April 18, 2019, 10:15:14 AM »

They were facing possible copyright infringement or something, from the family of Herman Melville and changed the name to Maby Grope.

Pretty sure that name change was down to the ex-manager owning the rights to the name.

Jules

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1070 on: April 18, 2019, 10:45:45 AM »

Pretty sure that name change was down to the ex-manager owning the rights to the name.

Jules

Could be...I was about 11 when I read that, which is even longer than me borrowing the album. That particular brain cell must have gone On The Fritz.

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1071 on: April 19, 2019, 05:21:46 PM »

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, Jesse H. Jones Hall, home of the Houston Symphony (!), yesterday, March 25, 2019.

Here is an excellent review from the local weekly: https://www.houstonpress.com/music/review-nick-masons-saucerful-of-secrets-jones-hall-houston-3-25-19-11264570

I am very, very glad I went.  Thanks to all who pushed me to make the drive, which was well worth it.

Roger Waters got up with Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets band in New York:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=136&v=T9oVOIVoQYU

Jules

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1072 on: April 20, 2019, 10:13:30 AM »

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, Jesse H. Jones Hall, home of the Houston Symphony (!), yesterday, March 25, 2019.

Here is an excellent review from the local weekly: https://www.houstonpress.com/music/review-nick-masons-saucerful-of-secrets-jones-hall-houston-3-25-19-11264570

I am very, very glad I went.  Thanks to all who pushed me to make the drive, which was well worth it.

Roger Waters got up with Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets band in New York:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=136&v=T9oVOIVoQYU

Jules
What’s the chances of this happening at St David’s Hall in Cardiff on 29 April?  Cheesy

I can hope.....  Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: