TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:45:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 798958 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1020 on: March 23, 2019, 07:01:17 PM »

BANTER and the WILLOWS , 2 seperate gigs at the MUSICIAN Leics , this week, promoted by Andy Tuck, of this parish.
My usual thanks to Andy for regularly putting on acts of this calibre.
Banter , I have been watching since they formed and they just grow in stature . 3 consummate musicians, there aren’t enough trumpet/ trombone playing drummers in the world.! Their music is infectious and impossible to categorise. Original songs, trad english dance tunes , jazz , dub touches , an eclectic mix.
Energy and fun. One to see.
The Willows , I have loved for years , since seeing them at a fest 2011/12 ish!!! The present line up is really strong. Again consummate musicians, covering banjos , Guitars , dobro, fiddle and just stunning percussion. Great presentation, an audience that sang, it wa# fun and some of the playing of their own songs just built and built.
I bought the new album....a good sign.....!

If you listen to just one track, try their present single, False Light...it sums up what they do...
A classic festival band and I will see them again at Folk in a Field.

I am desperate for The Willows to come and play in my part of the world. I took part in the crowd funding of the album, which incidentally has the most beautiful sleeve which I also have replicated ona T shirt. Fine band and substantially different stylistically from the various members' other acts.

New to me.  Had a listen to a few tracks.  I like them, but my mine reservation is with the lead vocal.  I much prefer Kat's voice, and I kept wishing that she was singing the songs....  Undecided

I do agree about Kat's voice and it is a shame there isn't a little more vocal variety on the album but Kat is the newest member of the band and I guess she is there for her instrumental abilities. As a writer/singer it is not her primary gig.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #1021 on: March 23, 2019, 07:12:53 PM »

I bought the album on the strength of Kat's music knowing nothing about the Willows. I really like the album and I whilst I understand your reservations about the lead vocal, it works for me big time. Great group of people making great music.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #1022 on: March 23, 2019, 07:29:27 PM »

I bought the album on the strength of Kat's music knowing nothing about the Willows. I really like the album and I whilst I understand your reservations about the lead vocal, it works for me big time. Great group of people making great music.

What this site needs is a thumbs up emoji!
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #1023 on: March 24, 2019, 10:59:20 AM »

Three Daft Monkeys at Acapela, Cardiff.   Grin Cheesy Roll Eyes

What a fabulous evening! Upbeat, cheerful, fun to watch - I couldn't keep still in my seat, my buttocks are tight from all the chair-dancing and bouncing! I even bought their new Album.

The audience was full of people who had never seen them before,  but were thrilled by the energy and storytelling.  

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1024 on: March 25, 2019, 08:20:17 AM »

Martin Turner and band, absolutely on fire at the Ropetackle in Shoreham last night. I have seen them many times and this was probably the best, enthusiastically received by a good sized audience and an unpredictable setlist which kept it interesting. Jaw dropping musicianship and great harmonies.

My ears are ringing this morning. That hasn't happened in a long time. Not a good thing I know but still...
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1025 on: March 25, 2019, 10:00:34 AM »

What a fabulous evening! Upbeat, cheerful, fun to watch - I couldn't keep still in my seat, my buttocks are tight from all the chair-dancing and bouncing! I even bought their new Album.

The audience was full of people who had never seen them before,  but were thrilled by the energy and storytelling.  
Must be due a return to Cropredy....   Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1026 on: March 26, 2019, 04:50:05 PM »

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, Jesse H. Jones Hall, home of the Houston Symphony (!), yesterday, March 25, 2019.

Here is an excellent review from the local weekly: https://www.houstonpress.com/music/review-nick-masons-saucerful-of-secrets-jones-hall-houston-3-25-19-11264570

I am very, very glad I went.  Thanks to all who pushed me to make the drive, which was well worth it.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1027 on: March 26, 2019, 10:00:36 PM »

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, Jesse H. Jones Hall, home of the Houston Symphony (!), yesterday, March 25, 2019.

Here is an excellent review from the local weekly: https://www.houstonpress.com/music/review-nick-masons-saucerful-of-secrets-jones-hall-houston-3-25-19-11264570

I am very, very glad I went.  Thanks to all who pushed me to make the drive, which was well worth it.
It’s my next concert. I can’t wait! Thanks for the review   Smiley

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1028 on: March 27, 2019, 08:30:22 AM »

Not a gig exactly but went to a talk as part of the Essex Book Festival yesterday. It was given by Ray Clark, now a morning presenter on BBC Essex buta long-time stalwart of Radio Caroline. He talked about the history of the pirate radio ships in general and Caroline in particular...fascinating stuff and brought back many listening memories of lithe 1970s for me  Smiley Had a chat with him afterwards and naturally bought his book on the subject

Born to Run (but not very fast)
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1029 on: March 27, 2019, 12:54:32 PM »

Glad you liked it...I've just downloaded a recording of it, that I will be listening to shortly.

Well I never did..
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #1030 on: March 27, 2019, 10:56:29 PM »

Must be due a return to Cropredy....   Cheesy

Must be!

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1031 on: March 28, 2019, 09:53:31 AM »

Seth Lakeman last night in Birmingham. A very different sound from last time I saw him. An old style folk rock sound, lead by guitarist Kit Hawes. Even the older stuff from Freedom Fields was played with Thompson style electric guitar.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1032 on: March 29, 2019, 10:25:50 AM »

Seth Lakeman last night in Birmingham. A very different sound from last time I saw him. An old style folk rock sound, lead by guitarist Kit Hawes. Even the older stuff from Freedom Fields was played with Thompson style electric guitar.
That bodes well for Cropredy!

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1033 on: March 31, 2019, 05:53:27 PM »

Erland Cooper, plus Will Burns and Hannah Peel at the Trades Club in Hebden, plus a whole day of Caught by the River readings and chats (and a walk along the canal).  A tip top day, and great to be back in Calderdale, even if very briefly.  Both Erland and Hannah are in (used to be in?) the Magnetic North which might ring a bell with some.  Erland Cooper's Solan Goose must be some of the finest sounds I've ever heard....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #1034 on: April 04, 2019, 11:02:17 PM »

Steeleye Span. De Montfort Hall Leics, Wed.
The last time I saw Steeleye , about 4 years ago they had become comfortable and living on past glories.
The band I saw last night was reenergised, playing with the whole band on top of their game .Benji Kirkpatrick, has been a great addition. Folk rock with fabulous Fiddle, rock  guitar and stunning 6 part harmonies. Cracking night.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #1035 on: April 04, 2019, 11:11:43 PM »

Feast of Fiddles tonight at the Atkinson, Southport.

Really enjoyed this show. Superb musicianship and everyone seemd to be having a good time. Peter Knight's playing in particular was stunning.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1036 on: April 05, 2019, 08:22:35 AM »

Sleaford Mods in Chester.  (Blisteringly) loud and sweary.  Powerful and mischievous and fun.  I've got ringing ears and a couple of mosh pit related bruises.  It's like being a bloody teenager again.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1037 on: April 05, 2019, 11:51:56 AM »

Sleaford Mods in Chester.  (Blisteringly) loud and sweary.  Powerful and mischievous and fun.  I've got ringing ears and a couple of mosh pit related bruises.  It's like being a bloody teenager again.

Will be seeing them at a couple of festivals later in the year,  Powerful, mischievous and fun is bang on.  I think they'd go down well at Cropredy.

and the stars look very different today
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1038 on: April 05, 2019, 12:30:03 PM »

Will be seeing them at a couple of festivals later in the year,  Powerful, mischievous and fun is bang on.  I think they'd go down well at Cropredy.

Ha ha ha ha ha.  They can't cope with Merry Hell, and love Digance!  What could possibly go wrong?  Can you remember the complaints about a couple of "f*cks" from Buzzcocks (and others) a few years back?  This is one thing I really would pay to witness...

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1039 on: April 05, 2019, 01:05:25 PM »

Ha ha ha ha ha.  They can't cope with Merry Hell, and love Digance!  What could possibly go wrong?  Can you remember the complaints about a couple of "f*cks" from Buzzcocks (and others) a few years back?  This is one thing I really would pay to witness...
In general, sweary acts aren't welcome. It's a "family festival". Although that doesn't seem to apply to Mr D. or the Pearce Bros., it certainly prevented the Hamsters from returning as well as Nick Harper and others.

In the end, I guess it's a matter of the act's popularity with Cropredy organisers.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: