TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:15:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 798995 times)
Penny

« Reply #880 on: December 17, 2018, 12:47:10 AM »

Paul McCartney the O2 Arena tonight.  Three hours non-stop.  So many highlights. The pyrotechnics for Live and Let Die get more elaborate on each tour.  Almost Christmas so we had a Wonderful Christmas time, with a children's choir and 'snow' falling on the audience.  

Then we were truly spoilt by the arrival of Ronnie Wood and Ringo on stage for Get Back.  They got such a welcome from the audience.

Been home an hour but we are still smiling.  A night to remember. Thank you Macca!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #881 on: December 17, 2018, 09:38:39 AM »

Paul McCartney the O2 Arena tonight.  Three hours non-stop.  So many highlights. The pyrotechnics for Live and Let Die get more elaborate on each tour.  Almost Christmas so we had a Wonderful Christmas time, with a children's choir and 'snow' falling on the audience.  

Then we were truly spoilt by the arrival of Ronnie Wood and Ringo on stage for Get Back.  They got such a welcome from the audience.

Been home an hour but we are still smiling.  A night to remember. Thank you Macca!

Wow! Sounds amazing  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #882 on: December 17, 2018, 09:45:44 AM »

Wow! Sounds amazing  Cheesy

It’s already on YouTube...looks and sounds excellent Smiley

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #883 on: December 17, 2018, 09:54:50 AM »

Just been watching the encore footage.  What a great bonus treat!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #884 on: December 17, 2018, 11:52:22 AM »

Mercury Rev performing Deserter's Songs at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester last night. It was Jonathan and Grasshopper plus keyboard player and another guitarist. They performed stripped down versions of the songs, and not in album order, but rather working from the less to more well known and ending with Goddess on a Hiway, Opus 40 and Holes. The encore was Dark Is Rising, the first track from the subsequent album.

Songs were interspersed with stories about the writing of the album, and where they were as a band, both career-wise and emotionally, at that time. A really special night and a very intimate venue.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #885 on: December 17, 2018, 12:39:54 PM »

Interesting how in the review in the Guardian there was no mention of Ringo joining Macca on stage but instead it said that the Quarrymen's drummer was in the audience!

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #886 on: December 17, 2018, 01:17:54 PM »

Interesting how in the review in the Guardian there was no mention of Ringo joining Macca on stage but instead it said that the Quarrymen's drummer was in the audience!

Different night maybe?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #887 on: December 17, 2018, 04:56:01 PM »

Different night maybe?

Jules

On setlist.fm it looks like he's just doing one concert per venue but he and the band do a soundcheck\mini-show earlier in the day. According to a Rolling Stone article this is an hour-long technical rehearsal for the band and crew but a small number of fans on VIP tickets get to see it as well as the main show.

This is the sort of thing they play https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/2018/echo-arena-liverpool-england-5b94937c.html

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #888 on: December 17, 2018, 06:23:26 PM »

Pretty damned impressive workload for an old 'un.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #889 on: December 17, 2018, 10:38:10 PM »

Pretty damned impressive workload for an old 'un.

We attended the pre-show "sound check" in Austin back in 2013, and it was in fact a 1-hour private concert, complete with more than half a dozen unique songs (e.g., "Bluebird" and some old-timey songs I can't recall).  Then he played another almost 3 hours for everyone else!
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #890 on: December 18, 2018, 10:53:07 PM »

The Travelling Band at YES, Manchester. Their final gig for a while but what a cracker. Extended set of just shy of two and a half hours with plenty of oldies restored to the set after a long absence and a couple of Christmas 'classics' given a good bashing. Nice to see founding member Snaf Ballinger back on stage for a few songs, pretty sure that was the first time since he jumped ship eight years ago.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #891 on: December 19, 2018, 11:53:28 AM »

Bruce Molsky.

I got a free ticket for this, and wouldn't have gone otherwise, bluegrass not really being my thing. Enjoyed this skilled performer, though I must admit I glaze over somewhat after 3 or 4 fiddle tunes.  Cool
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #892 on: December 19, 2018, 03:44:22 PM »

A nice mix of wassails and carols with songs from Rosie Hood at Cecil Sharp’s Festive Gathering.  The highlight of the evening was Camden Clog’s hilarious impression of Christmas shoppers on the tube.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #893 on: December 22, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »

A Winter Union in Otford last night were just a joy. They could not have done anything more or better to summon up the spirit of the solstice and the season.

Such a shame that they did not get around to recording an album this year because, judging by last night's performance, when they do so it is going to be essential Christmas listening forever after.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #894 on: December 24, 2018, 08:00:23 AM »

Madness last Friday on the penultimate night of their "The Sound of Madness" tour. Absolutely brilliant! They really are on top form and I would go so far as to say they're a British institution. A proper feel-good night  Grin

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #895 on: December 24, 2018, 10:54:52 AM »

Madness last Friday on the penultimate night of their "The Sound of Madness" tour. Absolutely brilliant! They really are on top form and I would go so far as to say they're a British institution. A proper feel-good night  Grin

They definitely are. Great and quintessentially British songwriting in the tradition of Ray Davies. In some ways the "nutty" image has done them no favours because it overshadows the quality of their songs, many of which have quite a melancholy core. A band that it is all too easy to take for granted.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #896 on: December 24, 2018, 11:29:48 AM »

They definitely are. Great and quintessentially British songwriting in the tradition of Ray Davies. In some ways the "nutty" image has done them no favours because it overshadows the quality of their songs, many of which have quite a melancholy core. A band that it is all too easy to take for granted.
I totally agree. They're professional, great musicians and songwriters and entertainers. They're definitely not a comedy act  Shocked

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #897 on: December 24, 2018, 11:52:30 AM »

I totally agree. They're professional, great musicians and songwriters and entertainers. They're definitely not a comedy act  Shocked

I second all of that although many people were disappointed when they played Cropredy

Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #898 on: December 24, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »

I second all of that although many people were disappointed when they played Cropredy

I was one of the disappointed ones. I'd seen Madness a couple of times before Cropredy at their own concerts, and a couple of times since at other festivals.  Thoroughly enjoyed their gigs, but felt they were going through the motions at the Festivals.  Did someone leave the band before they played Cropredy ?  I've a recollection someone called it a day.

In contrast saw the Alarm at a festival last year,  sunny day ,  pint in hand and loved them.  Saw them in Liverpool a couple of weeks ago,  rainy December evening and an over priced pint of lager in hand and was disappointed

and the stars look very different today
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #899 on: December 24, 2018, 04:50:26 PM »

I was one of the disappointed ones. I'd seen Madness a couple of times before Cropredy at their own concerts, and a couple of times since at other festivals.  Thoroughly enjoyed their gigs, but felt they were going through the motions at the Festivals.  Did someone leave the band before they played Cropredy ?  I've a recollection someone called it a day.

In contrast saw the Alarm at a festival last year,  sunny day ,  pint in hand and loved them.  Saw them in Liverpool a couple of weeks ago,  rainy December evening and an over priced pint of lager in hand and was disappointed

Yes I think you’re right! I think Chas Smash left the band but I may be wrong on that

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: