TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:37:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803378 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #860 on: December 11, 2018, 05:18:24 PM »

Bennett Wilson Poole at Kings Place.  Finally, finally they came to London.  What a wonderful, life-affirming gig.  I haven’t seen a band enjoy themselves so much in ages.  That should keep my Rickenbacker addiction at bay for a while.

Best band I've seen this year, I think (and that was just the trio).  Best album too.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #861 on: December 11, 2018, 11:10:58 PM »

Bennett Wilson Poole at Kings Place.  Finally, finally they came to London.  What a wonderful, life-affirming gig.  I haven’t seen a band enjoy themselves so much in ages.  That should keep my Rickenbacker addiction at bay for a while.

A fantastic gig the night before in Oxford too. Interesting news that Tony Poole and Iain Whitmore are looking to record another Starry Eyed and Laughing album next year and hopefuly play some live shows with some or all of BWP completing the line-up.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #862 on: December 12, 2018, 06:36:55 AM »

A fantastic gig the night before in Oxford too. Interesting news that Tony Poole and Iain Whitmore are looking to record another Starry Eyed and Laughing album next year and hopefuly play some live shows with some or all of BWP completing the line-up.

Tony did both - SE&L (as a duo) and BWP in Launceston in the summer.  T&I said they'd been recording together for aeons.  The new songs they previewed sounded fab...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #863 on: December 12, 2018, 05:22:49 PM »

Tony did both - SE&L (as a duo) and BWP in Launceston in the summer.  T&I said they'd been recording together for aeons.  The new songs they previewed sounded fab...

Sadly not managed to catch them as a duo yet, their gigs tend to be bit sporadic and nowhere near us, but good to hear the new songs are sounding good. Although they've been recording and gigging together for a while I think the only thing to get a release was one album in 2002 as The Falcons, which didn't really do a lot for me, a bit too country for my tastes and TP's 12 string not as prominent as I'd have liked.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #864 on: December 12, 2018, 07:47:28 PM »

BWP definitely album of the year and one of the gigs of the year (along with several Merry Hell and Gerry Colvin). I have been a massive fan of Dan since the Grand Drive days , BWP are something special.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #865 on: December 13, 2018, 05:37:25 PM »

Okay folks, Elton John is coming to see you in June 2019 and again in November, so please consider.

Mrs. J from A and I attended last night's celebration at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, where great music careens around the walls, floor and ceiling of a basketball arena and echoes fill the rafters. No matter; Reg remains one of the great singers, songwriters and performers of any generation, with an incredible set list and visual extravaganza to boot. An added bonus: in addition to mainstays Davey Johnstone and Nigel Olsson, EJ brought along the inimitable Ray Cooper. (He also gave a shout out to the late, great Dee Murray, when introducing the current, great Matt Bissonette on bass.)

Also worth noting, EJ was in very good voice. I think he may be singing as well today as he has since his throat surgery in the 1980s.  His vocals were resonant, strong, and he even went for the occasional falsetto (e.g., on Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road).

Final note: Select concerts are being offered for download for $19.99 at Peex.live, including last night's show which I shall be eagerly purchasing.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #866 on: December 13, 2018, 07:16:32 PM »

Okay folks, Elton John is coming to see you in June 2019 and again in November, so please consider.

Mrs. J from A and I attended last night's celebration at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, where great music careens around the walls, floor and ceiling of a basketball arena and echoes fill the rafters. No matter; Reg remains one of the great singers, songwriters and performers of any generation, with an incredible set list and visual extravaganza to boot. An added bonus: in addition to mainstays Davey Johnstone and Nigel Olsson, EJ brought along the inimitable Ray Cooper. (He also gave a shout out to the late, great Dee Murray, when introducing the current, great Matt Bissonette on bass.)

Also worth noting, EJ was in very good voice. I think he may be singing as well today as he has since his throat surgery in the 1980s.  His vocals were resonant, strong, and he even went for the occasional falsetto (e.g., on Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road).

Final note: Select concerts are being offered for download for $19.99 at Peex.live, including last night's show which I shall be eagerly purchasing.

John sincerely happy that you enjoyed however EJ has the unenviable honour of being the only concert I've ever left within an hour of an headliner coming on ... he was awful, even my wife who has endless patience couldn't stomach any more. This was an arena gig about ten years, the only upside being the support who were outstanding The Storys from Wales whose both albums I can recommend
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #867 on: December 13, 2018, 10:25:16 PM »

Saw Jeff Wayne conducting The War of the Worlds. Awesome show.

Always wanted to see Chris Spedding, a sadly underrated guitarist, and I got my chance. Belting out the heat ray like a goodun. Ably supported by Herbie Flowers on bass.

The cast were excellent as well, in particular Jason Donovan, who was a suitably maniacal Parson Nathaniel.

Special effects were amazing. We were right in the very front row, and really did think we were going to get incinerated.

Paul

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #868 on: December 13, 2018, 11:43:02 PM »

Just back from The Dylan Project, or 4 of them (one went back to the hotel after the soundcheck!!). Pretty annoyed although the 4 did a sterling job. There was a journalist there from the music mags so no further comment!!

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #869 on: December 14, 2018, 12:24:49 AM »

Just back from The Dylan Project, or 4 of them (one went back to the hotel after the soundcheck!!). Pretty annoyed although the 4 did a sterling job. There was a journalist there from the music mags so no further comment!!

Cryptic.   Huh

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #870 on: December 14, 2018, 11:54:48 AM »

I thought Elton had already played his farewell concerts here in the UK earlier this year, or was it last year? I saw him back in the 80s with the classic backing line-up of Davey, Dee and Nigel but while I still enjoy his 70s and some of his 80s music I really can't see the point of going to see him again. And there are too many stories\allegations relating to his personal life and sexual preferences to want me to give him another penny of my money.

The last album of his I heard was one he did with Leon Russell which I was given as a Xmas present. I listened to it a couple of times and then gave it away.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #871 on: December 14, 2018, 12:07:32 PM »

there are too many stories\allegations relating to his personal life and sexual preferences to want me to give him another penny of my money.

Huh

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #872 on: December 14, 2018, 01:10:05 PM »

there are too many stories\allegations relating to his personal life and sexual preferences to want me to give him another penny of my money.

Huh

Jules
#

I was a bit taken aback by that as well (and I'm not even a hint of a fan.  Can't stand anything he's done in the last 4 decades).

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #873 on: December 14, 2018, 02:23:04 PM »

And there are too many stories\allegations relating to his personal life and sexual preferences to want me to give him another penny of my money.

Having said that, it does come with the territory especially the 1970s excesses of sex, drugs and rock'n'roll. Seemingly Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor of Motorhead had a liking for young groupies and that inspired Lemmy to write the song Jailbait.

But Elton has been somewhat over-zealous at setting his lawyers on anyone who so much as hints at any alleged inappropriate sexual activities. I even received a message a while back threatening me with legal action for merely re-tweeting what someone else had written. Make of that what you will. I'm saying no more.  Lips Sealed

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #874 on: December 14, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »

I'm saying no more.  Lips Sealed

Roll Eyes
What do you think one of the major attractions of R&R tours was/is, reading Hotel Bibles ?
Ever heard the saying 'it's your duty to the band not to miss out on a town'.. Wink  
@OT. Florence + Machine, The Forum, last Sunday, bloody marvelous..
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:12:51 PM by mightyglydd » Logged
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #875 on: December 14, 2018, 04:41:24 PM »

Roll Eyes
What do you think one of the major attractions of R&R tours was/is, reading Hotel Bibles ?
Ever heard the saying 'it's your duty to the band not to miss out on a town'.. Wink  

And bugger the punters?

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #876 on: December 14, 2018, 05:05:22 PM »

Roll Eyes

And bugger the punters?

That's a good band name.  Wink
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #877 on: December 15, 2018, 07:33:29 PM »

Will be interested to hear who turns up tonight or if they've settled their differences

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #878 on: December 15, 2018, 07:39:52 PM »

Will be interested to hear who turns up tonight or if they've settled their differences

Who was the absentee?

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #879 on: December 15, 2018, 11:08:40 PM »

Chris Green and Sophie Matthews plus Jude Rees playing Christmas Carol. Ex isambarde I think.

This really was an enjoyable show. Very simple, but very effective.

Paul

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: