TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:59:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803510 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #840 on: November 21, 2018, 10:25:46 AM »

The support act, Alden, Patterson and Dashwood, whom I had never seen before, were very good. I'd certainly go to see them again.

Were they writing wills in the interval?

😂😂😂😂😂😂

The Dude abides
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #841 on: November 21, 2018, 12:04:02 PM »

Before a McGuinn show a few years ago, a fellow concert-goer asked the merch guy whether Roger would come out afterward to sign autographs.  The fellow said he used to do that, but that his wife forbade it after Roger got sick on tour.  Being relatively hardy myself, I sometimes forget how risky it can be to press the flesh with strangers.

Well yes, but if I recall correctly, this is the same Mrs McGuinn who many say is the reason Roger doesn't come out and play with David.  Take that how you may.

Jules

This is about as close as you'll get to the fellas for an autograph - pre-signed for $30 at the t-shirt stand.

The good news is that John's show will certainly be broadcasted on Austin City Limits!  I bet they will release it on DVD in its entirety!

Saw them in Nashville and Atlanta.  The only difference in the set lists was McGuinn's contribution during the TP tribute: American Girl at the former and King of the Hill at the latter.  

Of the two, Nashville was "the one"- playing at The Ryman where it all began!  Clarence White's brother, Roland, was in the audience. Lots of electricity. Marty was just beaming the whole way through, taking it all in.  When they did Hickory Wind, the song Gram defiantly substituted for Sing Me Back Home there in '68......well.....its don't get much better.

I get to see them one more time, in Bristol, just an hour down the road on December 1.  

Unexpected and delightful - something, as a Byrds fanatic, I never expected to experience.

Now, if someone can just talk Chris and Marty into doing Gilded Palace of Sin's 50th for '19!    Grin

* IMG_4411.JPG (110.69 KB, 480x640 - viewed 948 times.)
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #842 on: November 22, 2018, 05:43:55 PM »

Oysterband at The Robin. Excellent, as expected. Slightly disappointing turn-out (I thought), but I think they had played B'rum in the last few days so maybe that explained it.
Lots of great songs, but the back catalogue is so good there are always numerous killers left out, and they don't seem to want to play five hour sets.
I think I like them better as a five-piece, no idea if that is permanent or not.
The support act, Under A Banner were good, as usual.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #843 on: November 23, 2018, 12:15:09 AM »

Oysterband at The Robin. Excellent, as expected. Slightly disappointing turn-out (I thought), but I think they had played B'rum in the last few days so maybe that explained it.
Lots of great songs, but the back catalogue is so good there are always numerous killers left out, and they don't seem to want to play five hour sets.
I think I like them better as a five-piece, no idea if that is permanent or not.

They always were a five piece until Chopper left the band and the bass and cello duties got split between Al and Adrian. Who was missing?

I am still peeved about having to miss their Canterbury show last weekend because of illness.

Meanwhile I have this evening been enjoying a very fine acoustic set from Ian McNabb in Lewes. Very different from the last time I saw him in an acoustic setting when things went badly and drunkenly awry in a simultaneously hilarious and intimidating way.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #844 on: November 23, 2018, 06:03:31 AM »

They always were a five piece until Chopper left the band and the bass and cello duties got split between Al and Adrian. Who was missing?

I am still peeved about having to miss their Canterbury show last weekend because of illness.

Meanwhile I have this evening been enjoying a very fine acoustic set from Ian McNabb in Lewes. Very different from the last time I saw him in an acoustic setting when things went badly and drunkenly awry in a simultaneously hilarious and intimidating way.

I believe Adrian has been missing because of some dates with James. I saw some photos on FB and noticed him missing from the soundcheck

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #845 on: November 23, 2018, 08:31:02 AM »

Chris Wood last night at the West End Centre Aldershot.  Sublime!

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #846 on: November 23, 2018, 08:54:01 AM »

I believe Adrian has been missing because of some dates with James. I saw some photos on FB and noticed him missing from the soundcheck

James are indeed playing some dates in South Africa. Pity they couldn't get Rachael from Bellowhead to stand in as she did at Cropredy.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #847 on: November 23, 2018, 08:55:42 PM »

Yeah, as a couple of others have said, Adrian was the one missing.
I think it is probably my favourite gig of the year, and I thought it worked really well with the five, it seemed a really driven performance, no let-up.
Having said that they were great at Croppers with the six, and what the heck, they are always great, even after Chopper left, so it doesn't really matter.

Commiserations on missing your show, I'm sure they were great at Canterbury.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #848 on: November 25, 2018, 11:57:18 PM »

Rich Hall’s Hoedown. Half stand up, half improvised musical skits, and by far the funniest thing I’ve seen all year. The man’s a genius.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #849 on: November 26, 2018, 12:49:36 PM »

Australian Pink Floyd at the Cardiff Motorpoint Arena Saturday, on their 30th Anniversary tour.

Excellent in all areas - sound, light, vocals, guitar and drums. Everything! Wish You Were Here particularly poignant for me at the moment, but the whole show was fabulous  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #850 on: November 26, 2018, 01:11:32 PM »

Saw Holy Moly and the Crackers at the Deaf Institute in Manchester on Saturday.

Great band and would be excellent for Cropredy as they are full of energy, write very catchy songs, and would liven up the proceedings no end!

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #851 on: November 27, 2018, 09:29:24 PM »

One of the strangest gigs I have ever attended today. Gilmore & Roberts were performing a lunchtime show in the cafe of the Brick Kiln Garden Centre just outside Chichester. Apparently they host folk shows there on the last Tuesday lunchtime of every month.

I took the day off work to go along, not that there was any shortage of audience, or at least customers, most of whom were elderly and clearly there for the Christmas special lunch. The venue was also festooned with festive decorations in the gaudiest possible way like something out of Pimp My Grotto.

G&R performed against a backdrop of dancing lights (though they were not dancing in time to the music), clattering crockery from the kitchen and chatter from people who were just there for the food, not the music. They gave their all but really deserved a medal for getting through the first set. The audience were more attentive and appreciative in the second half, once they had finished their turkey and trimmings, and even mustered a solid vocal contribution to Selfish Man so it all came good in the end but it was certainly bizarre.

And no, I didn't have the Christmas dinner. Crisps, shortbread & coffee was my limit.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #852 on: November 28, 2018, 06:36:46 AM »

One of the strangest gigs I have ever attended today. Gilmore & Roberts were performing a lunchtime show in the cafe of the Brick Kiln Garden Centre just outside Chichester. Apparently they host folk shows there on the last Tuesday lunchtime of every month.

I took the day off work to go along, not that there was any shortage of audience, or at least customers, most of whom were elderly and clearly there for the Christmas special lunch. The venue was also festooned with festive decorations in the gaudiest possible way like something out of Pimp My Grotto.

G&R performed against a backdrop of dancing lights (though they were not dancing in time to the music), clattering crockery from the kitchen and chatter from people who were just there for the food, not the music. They gave their all but really deserved a medal for getting through the first set. The audience were more attentive and appreciative in the second half, once they had finished their turkey and trimmings, and even mustered a solid vocal contribution to Selfish Man so it all came good in the end but it was certainly bizarre.

And no, I didn't have the Christmas dinner. Crisps, shortbread & coffee was my limit.

Sounds awful!  Poor G&R (and you)...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #853 on: November 28, 2018, 09:26:50 AM »

Sounds awful!  Poor G&R (and you)...

They took it in good heart and were, characteristically, very funny about it. I had a brief FB exchange with them last night and they agreed that it was one of the most bizarre gigs they had ever played.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #854 on: November 28, 2018, 01:20:37 PM »

Reminds me of that bit in Spinal Tap...

"If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last."

Grin

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #855 on: November 28, 2018, 05:36:25 PM »

I feel for GnR (Shocked)… at a much lower level of musical aptitude, our over-50s uke group had a similar experience a few weeks ago where nobody took the slightest bit of interest until the raffle had been drawn; at which point, 90% of the attendees buggered off... the dozen or so who stayed really enjoyed our 2nd set.

Flobbadob!
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #856 on: December 01, 2018, 05:25:58 PM »

A few days ago, Hawkwind in B'rum. They had a Mike Batt led orchestra with them  Shocked

I thought it was brilliant, the orchestra really added to several of the songs. I was dubious beforehand but totally won over.

Highlights were a blistering version of Born To Go, a nice sing-a-long Spirit Of The Age for the first encore, Down Through The Night, and We Took The Wrong Step. But it was all great really, except for Sonic Attack which I think only ever works in The Voice Of Bob.

Marcus has fitted in really well, and Dave looked well and happy.  Smiley Cool  Marvelous, joyful, uplifting, etc.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #857 on: December 02, 2018, 11:45:15 PM »

A few days ago, Hawkwind in B'rum. They had a Mike Batt led orchestra with them  Shocked

I thought it was brilliant, the orchestra really added to several of the songs. I was dubious beforehand but totally won over.

Highlights were a blistering version of Born To Go, a nice sing-a-long Spirit Of The Age for the first encore, Down Through The Night, and We Took The Wrong Step. But it was all great really, except for Sonic Attack which I think only ever works in The Voice Of Bob.

Marcus has fitted in really well, and Dave looked well and happy.  Smiley Cool  Marvelous, joyful, uplifting, etc.

Was it like theElvis, Big O, beach boys and buddy holly lps that proliferate in these troubled times, classic songs drenched in syrupy strings? Space ritual performed  by unsympathetic classical bods?

The Dude abides
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #858 on: December 11, 2018, 04:46:41 PM »

Bennett Wilson Poole at Kings Place.  Finally, finally they came to London.  What a wonderful, life-affirming gig.  I haven’t seen a band enjoy themselves so much in ages.  That should keep my Rickenbacker addiction at bay for a while.

Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #859 on: December 11, 2018, 05:17:12 PM »

Was it like theElvis, Big O, beach boys and buddy holly lps that proliferate in these troubled times, classic songs drenched in syrupy strings? Space ritual performed  by unsympathetic classical bods?

No, nothing at all like that.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: