TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:31:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803341 times)
Sue & Chris

« Reply #820 on: November 12, 2018, 10:39:58 AM »

Saw The Decemberists at Leeds on Saturday - excellent as usual and great to hear songs from across their back catalogue, including the wonderfully potty-mouthed Ben Franklin's Song. Amazing how much they vary their setlist from gig to gig - I've never come across a band that does that as much.

I agree that it would be great to see them at Cropredy but, since they now have their own festival the week before, that must be extremely unlikely.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #821 on: November 12, 2018, 12:06:50 PM »

Saw The Decemberists at Leeds on Saturday - excellent as usual and great to hear songs from across their back catalogue, including the wonderfully potty-mouthed Ben Franklin's Song. Amazing how much they vary their setlist from gig to gig - I've never come across a band that does that as much.

I agree that it would be great to see them at Cropredy but, since they now have their own festival the week before, that must be extremely unlikely.
Unless they treat that as a rehearsal....  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #822 on: November 12, 2018, 05:32:13 PM »

Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman, Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives, Sweetheart of the Rodeo 50th Anniversary, ACL Live, Saturday, Austin, Texas!

This was everything I wanted and more. They played a broad selection of country-ish Byrds tunes from before SOTR, as well as mandatory Byrds classics, before performing SOTR in its entirety.  They changed the order of the tunes, but otherwise performed faithful renditions with able backing by Marty Stuart (channeling Clarence White, and playing "Clarence" itself) and the Fabulous Superlatives, who played all manner of stand-up bass, electric bass, steel, acoustic and electric guitars (no fiddle, however).  

They played an extended encore, including a suite of Tom Petty songs.  All three talked about how important Tom Petty was in their middle and late careers, and how much they miss him.  They seemed genuinely grateful for the size and enthusiasm of the near sell-out crowd.  (I don't think Hillman and McGuinn have played to audiences this large in years.)  I never wanted it to end.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #823 on: November 12, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »

Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman, Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives, Sweetheart of the Rodeo 50th Anniversary, ACL Live, Saturday, Austin, Texas!

This was everything I wanted and more. They played a broad selection of country-ish Byrds tunes from before SOTR, as well as mandatory Byrds classics, before performing SOTR in its entirety.  They changed the order of the tunes, but otherwise performed faithful renditions with able backing by Marty Stuart (channeling Clarence White, and playing "Clarence" itself) and the Fabulous Superlatives, who played all manner of stand-up bass, electric bass, steel, acoustic and electric guitars (no fiddle, however).  

They played an extended encore, including a suite of Tom Petty songs.  All three talked about how important Tom Petty was in their middle and late careers, and how much they miss him.  They seemed genuinely grateful for the size and enthusiasm of the near sell-out crowd.  (I don't think Hillman and McGuinn have played to audiences this large in years.)  I never wanted it to end.

Great stuff.  Any photo ops?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #824 on: November 12, 2018, 06:27:59 PM »

Great stuff.  Any photo ops?

Jules

Alas, no.  Sad  Before a McGuinn show a few years ago, a fellow concert-goer asked the merch guy whether Roger would come out afterward to sign autographs.  The fellow said he used to do that, but that his wife forbade it after Roger got sick on tour.  Being relatively hardy myself, I sometimes forget how risky it can be to press the flesh with strangers.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #825 on: November 12, 2018, 07:06:24 PM »

Before a McGuinn show a few years ago, a fellow concert-goer asked the merch guy whether Roger would come out afterward to sign autographs.  The fellow said he used to do that, but that his wife forbade it after Roger got sick on tour.  Being relatively hardy myself, I sometimes forget how risky it can be to press the flesh with strangers.

Well yes, but if I recall correctly, this is the same Mrs McGuinn who many say is the reason Roger doesn't come out and play with David.  Take that how you may.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #826 on: November 13, 2018, 08:30:47 AM »

Gary Numan last night at St David's Hall in Cardiff.

I was pleasantly surprised! His music is a lot heavier than it used to be - a lot less "synth" and a lot more bite. He also had the Skaparis Orchestra with him which gave at times an almost prog feel to the music. He has bags of energy and there was a lot of love in the room (middle-aged men shouting "Numa-an, Numa-an"!!) for him. Eight tons of light equipment gave out a stupendous light show to the sell out crowd. Stand out tracks were "Are Friends Electric?" and "My Name is Ruin". A great night  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #827 on: November 14, 2018, 09:00:41 PM »

The Ballads of Child Migration. Clerkenwell. Well written songs and a brilliant evening introduced by Barbara Dixon, very moving at times listening to the survivors.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #828 on: November 15, 2018, 09:14:11 AM »

I heard my first Christmas song of the season last night when Chris Wood did a lovely rendition of While Angels Watched Their Flocks. We also got his take on Jerusalem, a Jake Thackray number and a song about middle class drug taking with a Shetland tune which Martin Carthy had added to the lyrics.

Plenty of his own material as well and lots of chat between songs, especially in the first set. Not a huge crowd at The Storey in Lancaster - small but appreciative. He took a request near the end. Someone shouted out Spitfires which he ignored and instead we got John Ball which got people singing along.

Next gig there is Bruce Molsky on the 10th December.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #829 on: November 15, 2018, 09:17:04 AM »

Chris Wood opened his set at Moseley Folk Festival with that same Christmas song - seemed a bit premature it was on the 1st of September.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #830 on: November 16, 2018, 05:36:43 AM »

Seth Lakeman in Wolvo at the Slade Rooms, very enjoyable, and the new songs sounded good. Uncomfortably hot.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #831 on: November 16, 2018, 06:38:31 AM »

Seth Lakeman in Wolvo at the Slade Rooms, very enjoyable, and the new songs sounded good. Uncomfortably hot.

Was his new boss there?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #832 on: November 16, 2018, 01:33:04 PM »

Was his new boss there?

You mean Bobby Plant? I didn't see him (although I am the Worlds Worst at noticing famous people, so I could possibly have been standing by him for the hour and a half). Nobody mentioned it though.
trewin

« Reply #833 on: November 16, 2018, 04:56:54 PM »

The Ballads of Child Migration. Clerkenwell. Well written songs and a brilliant evening introduced by Barbara Dixon, very moving at times listening to the survivors.
I saw this at Canterbury & it was a brilliant evening very emotional, was Andy Cutting on stage Barbara Dixon introduced him & he wasn't. there
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #834 on: November 17, 2018, 10:05:43 AM »

Show of Hands at Cardiff St David's Hall, last night. Excellent, as always. The 'borrowed' percussionist, Cormac Byrne, gave the songs an added extra, but I did miss Miranda, though! When you start a concert with two of your showstoppers it's taking a risk, but it worked. The support act, Alden, Patterson and Dashwood, whom I had never seen before, were very good. I'd certainly go to see them again. So, all in all, a great night.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #835 on: November 17, 2018, 05:09:49 PM »

Lovely show from Gilmore & Roberts at the Komedia in Brighton on Thursday. Kat is showing no signs of slowing down yet. Slightly smaller audience than I might have hoped/expected though.

They are playing in the south again in 10 days time at a lunchtime gig in a garden centre in Chichester on a Tuesday. I am hoping to go along but it seems a bit bizarre o me. I hope there are enough people there to make it worthwhile.

Meanwhile, persistent man flu has forced me to duck out of the Oysterband in Caterbury tonight. It was not so much the gig that I could not face (in fact I am disappointed to be missing it) but the minimum 2 hour each way drive and the chaos arising from the closure of the M20 for the weekend.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #836 on: November 17, 2018, 10:07:04 PM »

The support act, Alden, Patterson and Dashwood, whom I had never seen before, were very good. I'd certainly go to see them again.

Were they writing wills in the interval?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #837 on: November 18, 2018, 07:22:52 AM »

The support act, Alden, Patterson and Dashwood, whom I had never seen before, were very good. I'd certainly go to see them again.

Lol.  That (they sound like a firm of solicitors) is exactly what I said to myself too...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #838 on: November 18, 2018, 10:15:57 AM »

Lol.  That (they sound like a firm of solicitors) is exactly what I said to myself too...

Yes, they were all dressed in grey suits and carried briefcases on stage! Seriously, they are two men and a woman playing guitars and fiddle. Lovely harmonies and nice reworkings of trad songs along with some originals. They hail from that hotbed of rock 'n roll, Norwich!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #839 on: November 20, 2018, 03:29:57 PM »

Gigspanner Big Band last night at Nettlebed.  I saw them there a couple of years ago when they recorded the live album, and again at Cropredy that summer, but they really seemed to have moved up another level this time.  Before it felt a bit like two groups cooperating on one another's material 9and doing so very well, I may add), but this time they seemed to have integrated further and were really on fire.  We even got a bit of the 'Bigger Band', when John Spiers guested on a couple of numbers!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: