TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:55:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803551 times)
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #760 on: October 26, 2018, 12:41:57 AM »

Martin Turners Wishbone Ash at The Robin. All the hits, and more.
They did the debut album in full.
First set was an hour, second set an hour and a quarter, so quantity to go with the quality.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #761 on: October 26, 2018, 08:04:58 AM »

Steve Miller Band and John Fogerty at the O2 last night - very loud, very echo-ey and very good! 19 songs from Steve Miller and 23 songs from John Fogerty....well worth the £42.50 paid to see each act

Born to Run (but not very fast)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #762 on: October 26, 2018, 10:10:36 AM »

First set was an hour, second set an hour and a quarter, so quantity to go with the quality.

Not sure you are legally allowed to call them that anymore!   Cheesy
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #763 on: October 26, 2018, 10:32:13 AM »

They played Colchester Arts Centre recently and they were billed as exactly that

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #764 on: October 26, 2018, 10:58:26 AM »

Opera North doing Puccini's Tosca.

Not really my thing but the ticket was free.   Cool
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #765 on: October 26, 2018, 11:58:12 AM »

They played Colchester Arts Centre recently and they were billed as exactly that

Playing a pub just down the road from me tomorrow night ... can't go  Sad
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #766 on: October 26, 2018, 12:06:11 PM »

I thought that as I was writing it, but couldn't remember how they were billed on posters/website.
Maybe they should just use the name Ashbone Wish and have done with it.  Smiley
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #767 on: October 26, 2018, 05:59:38 PM »

Wanna see Ashbone Wish...  Missed a chance to see them in Chicago a few years ago because we went to see "The Book of Mormon" instead.  Martin Turner does tour his show around the states periodically, so one of these days.

Last night, Los Lobos, Boz Scaggs, Norah Jones, Marcia Ball, Chris Isaak, *Miss* Lou Ann Barton, Irma Thomas, Ruthie Foster, Gary Clark Jr., Lloyd Maines, David Grissom, Carolyn Wonderland, Robert Randolph, Tracy Nelson, and Shelley King at ACL Live, celebrating the 5th annual Austin City Limits Hall of Fame Induction.

This has become an annual tradition, and each show features combinations of singers/players/songs that you won't see on an ordinary night.  For example, Boz Scaggs duetted with David Hidalgo on a Los Lobos tune, and Marcia Ball performed with Lou Ann Barton, Irma Thomas, Ruthie Foster, Shelley King and Carolyn Wonderland as her heavenly chorus.  Robert Randolph added pedal steel guitar to "La Bamba" and Gary Clark Jr. and Norah Jones channeled Ray Charles on three of his classic tunes.  Unforgettable.

I don't know whether they broadcast these shows overseas, but here it will air on PBS stations around New Year's Eve.  They asked the audience to pretend it was New Year's Eve last night, and they fired off streamers at the end of "La Bamba."  Fun!
Fegg

« Reply #768 on: October 28, 2018, 10:59:50 AM »

The Russian National Ballet performed Swan Lake in Peterborough last night. Top gig, though it seemed to be more about the dancing than the music...
 Wink
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #769 on: October 28, 2018, 01:08:00 PM »

The Russian National Ballet performed Swan Lake in Peterborough last night. Top gig, though it seemed to be more about the dancing than the music...
 Wink

Reminds me of the old Woody Allen joke about the bookmakers in New York fixing the ballet.  Apparently there was a lot of money riding on the swan living.   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
garrypbrooks

« Reply #770 on: October 28, 2018, 04:49:20 PM »

Last night, Los Lobos, Boz Scaggs, Norah Jones, Marcia Ball, Chris Isaak, *Miss* Lou Ann Barton, Irma Thomas, Ruthie Foster, Gary Clark Jr., Lloyd Maines, David Grissom, Carolyn Wonderland, Robert Randolph, Tracy Nelson, and Shelley King at ACL Live, celebrating the 5th annual Austin City Limits Hall of Fame Induction.

This has become an annual tradition, and each show features combinations of singers/players/songs that you won't see on an ordinary night.  For example, Boz Scaggs duetted with David Hidalgo on a Los Lobos tune, and Marcia Ball performed with Lou Ann Barton, Irma Thomas, Ruthie Foster, Shelley King and Carolyn Wonderland as her heavenly chorus.  Robert Randolph added pedal steel guitar to "La Bamba" and Gary Clark Jr. and Norah Jones channeled Ray Charles on three of his classic tunes.  Unforgettable.

I don't know whether they broadcast these shows overseas, but here it will air on PBS stations around New Year's Eve.  They asked the audience to pretend it was New Year's Eve last night, and they fired off streamers at the end of "La Bamba."  Fun!

JFA, that sounds quite a night, sort of thing I'd love to have been at.  I doubt very much, however, if we'll be shown it on the box over this side of the pond.

About 20 years ago I had the joy of being sent to work in Dallas for 3 weeks by my company, and christ it was dull .... and horror of horrors, my hotel was in a "dry" district (yep - prohibition!!).... but the weekend I spent in Austin was something else. My kinda place!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #771 on: October 28, 2018, 10:32:51 PM »

Oh my word, King Crimson just keep on getting better and better. And that was just the warm-up show...

Flobbadob!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #772 on: October 29, 2018, 08:35:33 AM »

Steve Miller Band and John Fogerty at the O2 last night - very loud, very echo-ey and very good! 19 songs from Steve Miller and 23 songs from John Fogerty....well worth the £42.50 paid to see each act

We had Robert Plant and Van Morrison the night before. First time at the O2 and loved it. Great venue.

Both acts were excellent with Whole Lotta Love my personal favourite of the whole night.

We got there early and I'm so glad we did as we got to see Colin MacLeod, a crofter from Lewis, who was absolutely brilliant and my find of the year!

https://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ents/16225024.crofter-colin-macleod-swaps-raising-sheep-to-play-with-van-morrison-and-robert-plant/  

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #773 on: October 29, 2018, 08:50:08 AM »

Sons of Kemet at Band on the Wall in Manchester yesterday afternoon. The evening show had sold out so they added a matinee performance which also sold out. They are a very energetic and entertaining band with a sax, tuba and 2 drummer line up. Solos were cheered rather than politely applauded and a fair proportion of the standing audience were dancing (not me - I didn't want to spill my pint). First time I've ever heard a tuba solo.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #774 on: October 29, 2018, 09:02:06 AM »

Seeing Richard and his trio last night in Oxford, was a delight. A very happy audience, and for me it was like watching the Richard I first knew and played with all those years ago.
Was lovely to see him briefly afterwards and have a hug and a chat  Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #775 on: October 29, 2018, 09:45:31 AM »

Seeing Richard and his trio last night in Oxford, was a delight. A very happy audience, and for me it was like watching the Richard I first knew and played with all those years ago.

A thumbs up and heart to this post!  Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #776 on: October 29, 2018, 01:32:51 PM »

Ahh, that's great.  

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #777 on: October 29, 2018, 04:25:42 PM »

JFA, that sounds quite a night, sort of thing I'd love to have been at.  I doubt very much, however, if we'll be shown it on the box over this side of the pond.

About 20 years ago I had the joy of being sent to work in Dallas for 3 weeks by my company, and christ it was dull .... and horror of horrors, my hotel was in a "dry" district (yep - prohibition!!).... but the weekend I spent in Austin was something else. My kinda place!

Born in Austin, spent many years in Dallas, and you have summed up both cities perfectly.  Wink
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #778 on: October 29, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »

I don't think I've heard him in finer voice and the guitar playing was astonishing. Really good mix of songs and the new material sounded as strong as the classics. Well deserved standing ovation at the end
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #779 on: October 29, 2018, 09:09:30 PM »

Trimdon Grange Explosion at The Ivy House in Nunhead, London on Friday. First gig for the newly-expanded line-up with Ben Reed taking over bass duties and Mark moving to guitar. New songs from the forthcoming second album sounding great. Excellent support from The Lords of Thyme in trimmed-down acoustic mode.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: