TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:26:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803559 times)
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #740 on: October 12, 2018, 09:25:16 PM »

Fairport  numbers excluded for obvious reasons, I rate Hackett's "Forth of Fifth" as my number one musical moment from the last 9 years at Cropredy. Bring him back...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #741 on: October 13, 2018, 01:33:23 AM »

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow Talkawhiler who couldn't make the gig and passed his ticket on, I got to see Steve Hackett and band, with an orchestra, doing their Genesis Revisited thing at the London Palladium last night.  Wow!  What a night.  Fantastic gig - the last night of a short tour with the orchestra.  They played a number of old Genesis numbers, including one I never thought I'd hear played live - Blood on the Rooftops - ending with Supper's Ready, and an encore of The Musical Box, and aloso included some of Steve's solo work, including an extended Shadow of the Hierophant, and his Serpentine Song, dedicated to his dad, and with his brother guesting.  As his Mum and other family were present, I imagine that was quite an emotional thing for him.

It's running Camel's recent concert close as my gig of the year so far.
Very disappointed I can't get to one of these gigs  Cry  I'm glad you enjoyed it though!

Fairport  numbers excluded for obvious reasons, I rate Hackett's "Forth of Fifth" as my number one musical moment from the last 9 years at Cropredy. Bring him back...
It's also my fave all-time Cropredy moment. Yes - bring him back!!!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #742 on: October 13, 2018, 11:17:57 AM »

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow Talkawhiler who couldn't make the gig and passed his ticket on, I got to see Steve Hackett and band, with an orchestra, doing their Genesis Revisited thing at the London Palladium last night.  Wow!  What a night.  Fantastic gig - the last night of a short tour with the orchestra.  They played a number of old Genesis numbers, including one I never thought I'd hear played live - Blood on the Rooftops - ending with Supper's Ready, and an encore of The Musical Box, and aloso included some of Steve's solo work, including an extended Shadow of the Hierophant, and his Serpentine Song, dedicated to his dad, and with his brother guesting.  As his Mum and other family were present, I imagine that was quite an emotional thing for him.

It's running Camel's recent concert close as my gig of the year so far.

Green with envy here Will.....planning to see his SEBTP etc. show at Birmingham next Autumn. I'm another one who counts his bands' performance as my Cropredy highlight of the last decade.... Fez

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #743 on: October 15, 2018, 05:42:25 PM »

Paul McCartney/The National/David Byrne, ACL Festival, Zilker Park, Austin, Texas, Friday, October 12, 2018!

Pros - Paul was amazing, as usual.  David Byrne was amazing, as we expected, since we saw his full set last week in Grand Prairie.  The VIP "grove" area was all-inclusive, with lunch and dinner and an open bar provided.  There were air-conditioned bathrooms and free bottled water in big tubs everywhere.  The free shuttle bus to/from downtown Austin was prompt and smooth.  We met some lovely Australian tourists who gave us advice for a future trip (recommended four nights in Sydney, one in Canberra and three in Melbourne).

Cons - There were many thousands of people in the field and hundreds on the VIP platform, so we wound up retreating to the VIP grove to watch Paul on a big video screen, where the video/audio were slightly out of sync.  The people behind us carried on a loud conversation throughout Paul's set.  We discovered the best time to ask "Where are you from?" is during "Blackbird," and the best time to compare notes on different regions of California is during "Here Today."  The worst part of any concert experience, for me, is other people.  Angry
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #744 on: October 15, 2018, 06:31:27 PM »

Paul McCartney/The National/David Byrne, ACL Festival, Zilker Park, Austin, Texas, Friday, October 12, 2018!

Pros - Paul was amazing, as usual.  David Byrne was amazing, as we expected, since we saw his full set last week in Grand Prairie.  The VIP "grove" area was all-inclusive, with lunch and dinner and an open bar provided.  There were air-conditioned bathrooms and free bottled water in big tubs everywhere.  The free shuttle bus to/from downtown Austin was prompt and smooth.  We met some lovely Australian tourists who gave us advice for a future trip (recommended four nights in Sydney, one in Canberra and three in Melbourne).

Cons - There were many thousands of people in the field and hundreds on the VIP platform, so we wound up retreating to the VIP grove to watch Paul on a big video screen, where the video/audio were slightly out of sync.  The people behind us carried on a loud conversation throughout Paul's set.  We discovered the best time to ask "Where are you from?" is during "Blackbird," and the best time to compare notes on different regions of California is during "Here Today."  The worst part of any concert experience, for me, is other people.  Angry

That's VIP enclosures for you.  They do seem to attract a high percentage of people with more money than they have musical appreciation.  Allegedly.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #745 on: October 16, 2018, 09:49:59 AM »

Steeleye Span were excellent at the Hexagon, Reading, last night.  It started with a half hour set from Jacqui McShee and band (including Kevin Dempsey on guitar), who warmed us up nicely, and then Steeleye came on and gave us a good show of real folk/rock.  We had some oldies - going back to the earliest albums - some classic stuff (Long Lankin, Sir James the Rose, Alison Gross), and some newer material too, including three or four from the album that will be coming out next year, which sounded very promising.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #746 on: October 17, 2018, 03:15:02 PM »

Steeleye Span were excellent at the Hexagon, Reading, last night.  It started with a half hour set from Jacqui McShee and band (including Kevin Dempsey on guitar), who warmed us up nicely, and then Steeleye came on and gave us a good show of real folk/rock.  We had some oldies - going back to the earliest albums - some classic stuff (Long Lankin, Sir James the Rose, Alison Gross), and some newer material too, including three or four from the album that will be coming out next year, which sounded very promising.

I saw SS with Jacqui's group and the  Strawbs last year, triple bill -- all good, but especially Steeleye.  
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #747 on: October 19, 2018, 08:11:23 AM »

Stick in the Wheel at the Atkinson in Southport last night. Very disappointing turnout (fewer than 40 people) - not helped by the fact that Eddi Reader was on at the same time in the main theatre. Really enjoyable show from the band, after a 7 hour journey up the M6 - they were still soundchecking at 7.00 pm. Well worth catching if they are in your area.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #748 on: October 19, 2018, 09:46:22 AM »

Tunng at Gorilla in Manchester. Been 10+ years since I last saw them. It's great to have them back with Sam Genders again. Lots of songs from the latest album and a few older songs like Woodcat, Jenny, Bullets and some odd instrumentals. Mike Lindsay in particular looked to be having fun on stage. Good turnout too.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #749 on: October 19, 2018, 05:15:01 PM »

Alan Parsons Live Project, last night, ACL Live, Austin, Texas!

I was very pleasantly surprised. I expected good music well played, but I didn't now how familiar those songs would be. It touched a previously dormant, teenaged part of my memory. I had completely blocked out the song "Time," which was exquisitely performed.

As a not-previously-disclosed bonus, he played "I, Robot" in its entirety in celebration of the 40th anniversary of that album.

Also, it was a good-sized and enthusiastic crowd for a very rainy Thursday night in Austin. Nice going, hometown folks!

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #750 on: October 22, 2018, 06:27:14 AM »

Loudon Wainwright III, Sunday, Texas Union Theater, Austin!

I made a last-minute decision to catch this show, and am so glad I did. I had only seen him once before, on his "Loud and Rich" tour with RT. I enjoyed watching him stretch out and hold the stage on his own. He did a couple of readings, took a couple of requests, and even covered "Down Where the Drunkards Roll."

If you get a chance to see a true American original, take it!
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #751 on: October 22, 2018, 10:27:34 AM »

I made a last-minute decision to catch this show, and am so glad I did. I had only seen him once before, on his "Loud and Rich" tour with RT. I enjoyed watching him stretch out and hold the stage on his own. He did a couple of readings, took a couple of requests, and even covered "Down Where the Drunkards Roll."

He played at my first ever Cropredy!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #752 on: October 22, 2018, 04:27:42 PM »

Is it time to tell my "I went to see Loudon at Guildford Civic Hall in '83 (I think) and there were c.12 people in the audience, and following a great gig he invited us all backstage and we ate his rider" story?  No?  Ok, then....  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #753 on: October 22, 2018, 04:47:21 PM »

First night of Show of Hands tour in Birmingham on Saturday. Completely new show compared to their usual. Cormac Byrne on various percussion instruments creates a very different feel to the whole set, and oddly they started with the usual encore songs. Lots of new material and a couple of interesting covers, but overall, a thoroughly entertaining performance.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #754 on: October 22, 2018, 06:59:57 PM »

Ninebarrow at the Quaker Meeting Room in Oxford. Very nice, intimate venue. Transferred from the Holywell but none the worse for that. As usual, an excellent evening. They never disappoint and seem to get better every time I see them. Lovely harmonies and very good material, whether traditional, homegrown or covers.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #755 on: October 22, 2018, 07:59:29 PM »

Is it time to tell my "I went to see Loudon at Guildford Civic Hall in '83 (I think) and there were c.12 people in the audience, and following a great gig he invited us all backstage and we ate his rider" story?  No?  Ok, then....  Wink Grin

There’s always one!!!!! Roll Eyes
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #756 on: October 22, 2018, 08:23:20 PM »

RT at the Victoria Hall in Hanley on Saturday. A woeful turnout with the Vic Hall barely a third full - about half the stalls, a few dotted around in the circle and nobody at all in the upper circle. Couldn't fault the performance though, even if the low numbers did make for a somewhat muted atmosphere.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #757 on: October 23, 2018, 05:59:29 AM »

Barnstorming gig by Green Diesel at St Edith's in Kemsing on Friday.  Rather rockier than Fairport but still folk roots throughout. Great support from Sam Brothers too, one to watch for.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #758 on: October 23, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »

Ninebarrow at the Quaker Meeting Room in Oxford. Very nice, intimate venue. Transferred from the Holywell but none the worse for that. As usual, an excellent evening. They never disappoint and seem to get better every time I see them. Lovely harmonies and very good material, whether traditional, homegrown or covers.

That is a really lovely venue. I saw Kirsty Bromley there with Lucy Wise and there was a grand total of 5 or so in the audience. No matter, it was a fab gig and Simon, one of the musicians, made us all a cup of tea in the interval. Unforgettable.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #759 on: October 24, 2018, 01:27:41 PM »

RT at the Victoria Hall in Hanley on Saturday. A woeful turnout with the Vic Hall barely a third full - about half the stalls, a few dotted around in the circle and nobody at all in the upper circle. Couldn't fault the performance though, even if the low numbers did make for a somewhat muted atmosphere.

Been wishing he would play there for yonks, but as we had seen him at Shrewsbury I had to go and see Baskery and Adam Holmes and the Embers at Biddulph wish was excellent (and full). We were actually almost triple booked, so Mrs Reg went to a wedding and I took her friend!! Turnout doesnt surprise me , it has to be Northern Soul or metal to get bums on seats in Hanley.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: