TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:14:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803482 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #720 on: October 02, 2018, 12:17:26 PM »

A great night out in Southampton, in the company of Miles Hunt (of Wonderstuff fame), on the first night of his custodian tour. It was a very relaxed and fun evening, as he took us on a chronological history of his career in music, starting with the first song he wrote when he was 13. He was very engaging, with lots of anecdotes (finding Wizzard kipping on his living room floor when he was 7!), and providing the context of the songs he played. As it was the first night, he was still working out what to play and whether we thought they worked. They did. £13 for a good solid 90 mins. Great night, great songs - what more could you want.

Sounds great. Think I might do the Brighton show based on your review.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #721 on: October 02, 2018, 04:05:19 PM »

On Saturday night a house concert by Kirsty Merryn - an excellent young song writer mentored by Steve Knightley (see link below). Keep an eye out as she is currently touring.

DW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-VD-JyRT54
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #722 on: October 04, 2018, 10:43:34 AM »

Well, kind of. Rock n Roll Book Club in the heart of London’s swinging downtown Camden. Last night, Dave Philpott (and friends) from ‘Dear Mr. Popstar’ and Bruce Thomas from The Attractions, who gave a splendid guide to how to create an iconic bass part (“...so I took that bit from John Entwhistle...”) which can transform a standard run-of-the-mill Kinks-lite dirge into “I Don’t Want to Go to Chelsea”. I strongly ge tthe feeling that there will be no Costello-centric rapprochement any time soon.
Dave Philpott’s guests included an entirely game Owen Paul, a suitably twinkly Will Birch, the legendary Rupert Hine (yes, he can still faultlessly pronounce Taumatawhakatangihangakoayauo-Tamateaturipukakapikimaungahoro-Nukypokaiwhenuakitanatahu) and the guitarist from The Ruts, whose reply regarding the wisdom or not of staring at the rude boys was beautifully and bathetically undermined by his concluding confession that he wasn’t actually on the record or in the band at the time of its release.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #723 on: October 04, 2018, 05:47:01 PM »

Kofi Baker's Cream Experience, Higher Ground, South Burlington, Vermont, Tuesday night!

This is Kofi (son of Ginger) on drums and occasional vocals, Malcolm Bruce (son of Jack) on bass and vocals, and Will Johns (son of Andy, nephew of Glyn, nephew of Eric Clapton) on guitar and vocals.

They perform a full set of Cream tunes, with lots of space for improvisation interspersed among the faithful covers.  All three are extremely accomplished players, and they did the tunes proud.  Kofi played half the show with his left hand, only, as he apparently had a tantrum at his hotel that afternoon due to a noise complaint.  He apologized several times for not "playing up to his standards."  I must say, I bought an instant live CD of the show and have been listening to it today in the car - he is the most skilled one-handed drummer I've ever heard.  There were about 150 people in a big warehouse-style venue, which was a respectable turnout on a miserably rainy night in the tiny state of Vermont.

The trio are coming to play a few shows in the UK later this fall.  I highly recommend this to everyone.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #724 on: October 04, 2018, 07:49:10 PM »

Kofi Baker's Cream Experience, Higher Ground, South Burlington, Vermont, Tuesday night!

This is Kofi (son of Ginger) on drums and occasional vocals, Malcolm Bruce (son of Jack) on bass and vocals, and Will Johns (son of Andy, nephew of Glyn, nephew of Eric Clapton) on guitar and vocals.

They perform a full set of Cream tunes, with lots of space for improvisation interspersed among the faithful covers.  All three are extremely accomplished players, and they did the tunes proud.  Kofi played half the show with his left hand, only, as he apparently had a tantrum at his hotel that afternoon due to a noise complaint.  He apologized several times for not "playing up to his standards."  I must say, I bought an instant live CD of the show and have been listening to it today in the car - he is the most skilled one-handed drummer I've ever heard.  There were about 150 people in a big warehouse-style venue, which was a respectable turnout on a miserably rainy night in the tiny state of Vermont.

The trio are coming to play a few shows in the UK later this fall.  I highly recommend this to everyone.

The name of the band did make me laugh.  Like father, like son, I guess....(in so many ways by the sounds of it)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #725 on: October 05, 2018, 12:30:58 PM »

Bennett Wilson Poole and Alpha 9 last night. Still buzzing , ruddy marvellous. Danny has always been a hero but this was something else. Not only great music but they seemed to be having a whale of a time themselves. Where has TP been hiding since Starry Eyed and Laughing? The name suggests three individuals plus rhythm section but they are a band, writing together singing together etc. Just fabulous and in a craft beer venue what more could you ask? The only thing they got wrong all night was, having spotted the coroners court across the road, saying they were on the lively side of the street. Obviously hadn't noticed the mortuary a few doors down.
Only time I've been spoken to by both acts mid set too. Phil of Alpha 9 spotted us and referred to when we took him to his first gig (Fairport of course) 29 years ago. Robin and Dan clearly liked my Grand Drive shirt!
During their song about Jo Cox (Hate Wont Win) , I thought that this is the British "Ohio" and even though they were playing the album through, they went into Find The Cost of Freedom at the end.
See them if you can , Best tenner I've ever spent.
Nice to meet Col D too for the first time.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #726 on: October 05, 2018, 04:14:17 PM »

Cracking evening at De Koffie Pot, Hereford, in the company of Keith Christmas. Disappointingly, I made up 20% of the "crowd", but it did allow for some entertaining conversations with us individually throughout the evening. Early set was mostly from his last album "Crazy Dancing Days", followed by some excellent material playing slide on the old Fender he used on Bowie's first LP.  The last section comprised new songs & snippets of work in progress, showing the quality of his current creative patch continues to improve. His next album should be terrific.

Despite the lack of bodies, Keith seemed to really enjoy the occasion & the 5 of us had the privilege of an intimate gig with a exemplary musician on top form. Sadly, I had to forego the post gig party in the downstairs bar with the raucous girls' office outing, but after a bit of light roadie-ing, still went home happy.   Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #727 on: October 05, 2018, 06:59:22 PM »

Bennett Wilson Poole and Alpha 9 last night. Still buzzing , ruddy marvellous. Danny has always been a hero but this was something else. Not only great music but they seemed to be having a whale of a time themselves. Where has TP been hiding since Starry Eyed and Laughing? The name suggests three individuals plus rhythm section but they are a band, writing together singing together etc. Just fabulous and in a craft beer venue what more could you ask? The only thing they got wrong all night was, having spotted the coroners court across the road, saying they were on the lively side of the street. Obviously hadn't noticed the mortuary a few doors down.
Only time I've been spoken to by both acts mid set too. Phil of Alpha 9 spotted us and referred to when we took him to his first gig (Fairport of course) 29 years ago. Robin and Dan clearly liked my Grand Drive shirt!
During their song about Jo Cox (Hate Wont Win) , I thought that this is the British "Ohio" and even though they were playing the album through, they went into Find The Cost of Freedom at the end.
See them if you can , Best tenner I've ever spent.
Nice to meet Col D too for the first time.

Fantastic!  I felt exactly the same about so much of what you write...Ohio/FtCoF etc etc etc.  The band 'new' (which I know is ridiculous in some ways) British band on the circuit...by a country mile. Gutted I can't see them on this tour.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #728 on: October 05, 2018, 07:00:24 PM »

Cracking evening at De Koffie Pot, Hereford, in the company of Keith Christmas. Disappointingly, I made up 20% of the "crowd", but it did allow for some entertaining conversations with us individually throughout the evening. Early set was mostly from his last album "Crazy Dancing Days", followed by some excellent material playing slide on the old Fender he used on Bowie's first LP.  The last section comprised new songs & snippets of work in progress, showing the quality of his current creative patch continues to improve. His next album should be terrific.

Despite the lack of bodies, Keith seemed to really enjoy the occasion & the 5 of us had the privilege of an intimate gig with a exemplary musician on top form. Sadly, I had to forego the post gig party in the downstairs bar with the raucous girls' office outing, but after a bit of light roadie-ing, still went home happy.   Smiley

That really is a tragedy.  Respect to the man for getting on with it.  Was this organised by Sproatly?

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #729 on: October 05, 2018, 10:37:21 PM »

That really is a tragedy.  Respect to the man for getting on with it.  Was this organised by Sproatly?

Hmm, not sure. There's certainly some friction between Ian & the venue, but there's no excuse for the woeful lack of promotion. At least Keith sold a CD, had a beer & a whip round ensured his petrol & caravan fees were covered.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #730 on: October 06, 2018, 10:32:02 AM »

I recall seeing Rod Clements do a solo gig in a club in Cardiff a few years ago, with about 10 people in the audience. He was brilliant. First time I saw Keith Christmas was back in the early 70s when he opened for Ten Years After at Birmingham Town Hall (sell out crowd!)

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #731 on: October 06, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »

I recall seeing Rod Clements do a solo gig in a club in Cardiff a few years ago, with about 10 people in the audience. He was brilliant. First time I saw Keith Christmas was back in the early 70s when he opened for Ten Years After at Birmingham Town Hall (sell out crowd!)

We saw The Atlantic Wave Band 2 days after they played Cropredy (in the early nineties) and were the only ones there !! They played their hearts out bless 'em.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #732 on: October 06, 2018, 02:38:51 PM »

Quote from: Will S on September 26, 2018, 04:08:13 PM

More of the same next year, it seems - Nick's announced gigs in Cardiff, Cambridge & 2 in London's Roundhouse.

On sale Friday - here

And one in Aylesbury too.  Looking out to see what that will cost.

Roundhouse is £50. Booking has just opened and I've got tickets so many thanks to whoever it was that started this discussion.
(Sorry - no recent gigs to mention)

£50 at Aylesbury.  Over my limit, I'm afraid, so I'll just have to hope for Cropredy!

Now feeling tempted by Steve Hackett doing Selling England... but those tickets are over £40 too.  Sad

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #733 on: October 06, 2018, 04:04:33 PM »

An intimate little gig with Pete Atkin at the Poetry Café.  The place is tiny (holds about 50 people), but that did mean you could hear every word of Clive James’ very witty lyrics.  Pete was as chatty as ever, giving some fascinating details about the background to the songs.  The event had the friendly feel of a house concert.  Pete has some very loyal fans – I recognised several people from the Pheasantry gig last winter.  It’s a little bit like TAW, but on a very much smaller scale of course.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #734 on: October 07, 2018, 03:28:19 PM »

An intimate little gig with Pete Atkin at the Poetry Café.  The place is tiny (holds about 50 people), but that did mean you could hear every word of Clive James’ very witty lyrics.  Pete was as chatty as ever, giving some fascinating details about the background to the songs.  The event had the friendly feel of a house concert.  Pete has some very loyal fans – I recognised several people from the Pheasantry gig last winter.  It’s a little bit like TAW, but on a very much smaller scale of course.

I'm a fan of Pete, and used to participate in the online forum Midnight Voices.  I've yet to see him live, and would love to. His emails and chat show him to be a true gent and witty chap.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #735 on: October 08, 2018, 08:40:49 PM »

David Byrne, Verizon Theater in Grand Prairie, Texas, Saturday, October 6, 2018!

I cannot recommend this show enough.  It is an aural and visual feast, from start to finish.  He plays all or most of his new album, mixed with some of his best-known Talking Heads songs and some unexpected surprises.

He's returning to the UK/Europe at the end of October, and I have to say this should not be missed.  We are going to see him again this Friday afternoon, a few hours before Sir Paul McCartney takes the stage at the ACL Festival.  I'm thrilled to get to see him again!!!!!!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #736 on: October 09, 2018, 09:09:06 AM »

David Byrne, Verizon Theater in Grand Prairie, Texas, Saturday, October 6, 2018!

I cannot recommend this show enough.  It is an aural and visual feast, from start to finish.  He plays all or most of his new album, mixed with some of his best-known Talking Heads songs and some unexpected surprises.

He's returning to the UK/Europe at the end of October, and I have to say this should not be missed.  We are going to see him again this Friday afternoon, a few hours before Sir Paul McCartney takes the stage at the ACL Festival.  I'm thrilled to get to see him again!!!!!!

I am already booked for his Brighton show on 30 October.  Smiley
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #737 on: October 09, 2018, 09:28:51 AM »

Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman (not Lakeland, as in my post yesterday - darned autocorrect!) gave us an excellent evening last night at Nettlebed.  Kathryn was apparently suffering with a nasty cold, but it didn't show in her voice (we got a wonderful rendition of Solo), and they delivered an excellent set, with most of the new album plus a good selection from older ones (and including a hilarious song about the 'Cows of Mystery' who live near them on Dartmoor).  They said it is their last gig of the year, and they seemed to be in a happy 'end of term' mood.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #738 on: October 11, 2018, 11:17:20 PM »

RT tonight at Liverpool Phil - brilliant as always. Fabulous guitar playing and what a great drummer Michael Jerome is. The new songs sound really good live and he did a wonderfully angry version of 'Put it there, Pal'.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #739 on: October 12, 2018, 10:25:18 AM »

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow Talkawhiler who couldn't make the gig and passed his ticket on, I got to see Steve Hackett and band, with an orchestra, doing their Genesis Revisited thing at the London Palladium last night.  Wow!  What a night.  Fantastic gig - the last night of a short tour with the orchestra.  They played a number of old Genesis numbers, including one I never thought I'd hear played live - Blood on the Rooftops - ending with Supper's Ready, and an encore of The Musical Box, and aloso included some of Steve's solo work, including an extended Shadow of the Hierophant, and his Serpentine Song, dedicated to his dad, and with his brother guesting.  As his Mum and other family were present, I imagine that was quite an emotional thing for him.

It's running Camel's recent concert close as my gig of the year so far.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: