TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:40:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803591 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #680 on: September 20, 2018, 04:44:30 PM »

Graham Nash, last night, Paramount Theater, Austin.

He was in excellent voice, and his set was heavily weighted toward older material.  This contrasts with his previous show at this venue, where he debuted a lot of new material.  He had to contend with a drunk and noisy fellow in the second row (who apparently thought he was there for a two-hour conversation with Graham Nash), but Graham handled it with aplomb.

Surprises in the set included "4 and 20" by Steve Stills and "A Day In The Life."  Nice!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #681 on: September 20, 2018, 05:06:42 PM »

He was in excellent voice, and his set was heavily weighted toward older material.  This contrasts with his previous show at this venue, where he debuted a lot of new material.  He had to contend with a drunk and noisy fellow in the second row (who apparently thought he was there for a two-hour conversation with Graham Nash), but Graham handled it with aplomb.

Surprises in the set included "4 and 20" by Steve Stills and "A Day In The Life."  Nice!

Very remarkable for Nash to cover Stills.  Maybe they've grown closer because of The Crosby Wars.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #682 on: September 20, 2018, 07:14:00 PM »

Very remarkable for Nash to cover Stills.  Maybe they've grown closer because of The Crosby Wars.

Jules

He mentioned Croz several times, never disparagingly.  Hope springs eternal.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #683 on: September 20, 2018, 07:17:43 PM »

Jules

Remember, there was (briefly) a Stills-Nash Band.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #684 on: September 20, 2018, 08:03:38 PM »

Long time ago.  And, if you recall, Crosby was similarly out of favour then as well.  Stills is like Nash's rebound lover.   Grin

Jules

Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #685 on: September 21, 2018, 06:36:33 AM »

Ashley Hutchings and Becky Mills in Southport last night performing 'The beginnings of Fairport Convention' - It was Ashley talking about the 60s in general and FC in particular, interspersed with appropriate songs. A pleasant, amusing evening with excellent musicianship.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #686 on: September 21, 2018, 06:47:00 AM »

Long time ago.  And, if you recall, Crosby was similarly out of favour then as well.  Stills is like Nash's rebound lover.   Grin

Jules

"Out of favour" roughly translates as "utterly sh*tfaced", I'm guessing?  Nash has always been protective of Stills' talent, if not always his personality.  The last time I saw CSN (2009, I think), seeing Graham cueing and assisting Stills as his deafness became quite a barrier to live performance was really rather lovely...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #687 on: September 21, 2018, 08:35:00 AM »

Nash has always been protective of Stills' talent, if not always his personality.  The last time I saw CSN (2009, I think), seeing Graham cueing and assisting Stills as his deafness became quite a barrier to live performance was really rather lovely...

Good man Nasher.

Jules

mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #688 on: September 21, 2018, 11:50:56 AM »

Ashley Hutchings and Becky Mills in Southport last night...........

A pleasant, amusing evening with excellent musicianship.

Perfect description Peter. I really enjoyed it. Some stories I knew, some I didn't and the tunes were marvelous.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #689 on: September 21, 2018, 04:48:34 PM »

Ashley Hutchings and Becky Mills in Southport last night...........

A pleasant, amusing evening with excellent musicianship.

Perfect description Peter. I really enjoyed it. Some stories I knew, some I didn't and the tunes were marvelous.

We saw that show at Cropredy Town Hall in 2017 (and missed Peter Knight on the field, unfortunately) - it was so much fun.  Highly recommend to all.  Ashley also personally sold me a lightly used, peach-colored Albion Band jersey for about 15 pounds.  He said he was emptying his closet.   Smiley
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #690 on: September 21, 2018, 04:50:11 PM »

Nash has always been protective of Stills' talent, if not always his personality.  The last time I saw CSN (2009, I think), seeing Graham cueing and assisting Stills as his deafness became quite a barrier to live performance was really rather lovely...

Good man Nasher.

Jules

I was unaware of this issue. It helps explain why Stills' guitar was largely inaudible at The Rides show I saw a couple years ago...
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #691 on: September 21, 2018, 05:25:13 PM »

I was unaware of this issue. It helps explain why Stills' guitar was largely inaudible at The Rides show I saw a couple years ago...

It's also one of the main reasons that Stills's singing voice has deteriorated so badly.  That and extensive dentistry.  And drug abuse (probably).

Jules

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #692 on: September 21, 2018, 06:56:17 PM »

In the last couple of decades, whenever I've seen them , CSN, C & N, and N have never been short of wonderful, with Nash always seemingly in control (and very capably). Y hasn't been too shabby either.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #693 on: September 22, 2018, 10:58:35 AM »

Last Saturday spent at Martyn Joseph’s  Pipefest at Lancaster University. A wonderful day’s music with some supremely talented musicians. Hadn’t heard Jake Morley before - very fine guitarist and interesting songwriter. Sam Kelly with Jamie (?) from the Lost Boys on banjo - as engaging and enjoyable as ever. It was fascinating listening to him in conversation with MJ about their recent trip to Palestine.

It is a few years since I saw Edgelarks on their own and they get better and better. Phillip Henry is a very talented musician (his 21 string Indian slide guitar has to be seen to be believed) and Hannah Martin has to be one of the best singers around. Originally I found them perhaps a little technical/cold, but not now.

Star of the show was of course Martyn J either on his own or with the other performers. He is starting to promote his new album which sounds like one of his strongest for years. The finale with all six playing together was sensational. A great end to what with only 120 there was a lovely, intimate day.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #694 on: September 22, 2018, 01:41:07 PM »

Trembling Bells at The Music Room in Liverpool last night. An emotional night as they played the first of three weekend gigs that will signal the end of the band, having taken the decision not to continue following Vinnie's departure announced earlier this week. Ironically this was by far the biggest crowd I've ever seen them play to, after countless sparsely attended gigs down the years it seemed fitting they signed off with a packed house. Would love to have been able to make the final two in Leeds and Leicester but previous commitments have dictated otherwise. What an amazing and totally unique band they were and at least they bowed out at the very top of their game rather than on the downward slide, but all the same I'm reallly going to miss them.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #695 on: September 22, 2018, 04:22:59 PM »

Trembling Bells at The Music Room in Liverpool last night. An emotional night as they played the first of three weekend gigs that will signal the end of the band, having taken the decision not to continue following Vinnie's departure announced earlier this week. Ironically this was by far the biggest crowd I've ever seen them play to, after countless sparsely attended gigs down the years it seemed fitting they signed off with a packed house. Would love to have been able to make the final two in Leeds and Leicester but previous commitments have dictated otherwise. What an amazing and totally unique band they were and at least they bowed out at the very top of their game rather than on the downward slide, but all the same I'm reallly going to miss them.

Sh1t.  I wasn't expecting that.  I assumed they'd continue in some form or other after Vinnie's announcement.  Heaven alone knows how they've kept going so long though...they are one of the best but most wretchedly supported bands I've ever known.  Only seen them about 4 times (plus twice with Mike H) and every one a stone cold classic.

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #696 on: September 23, 2018, 02:52:20 PM »

Sh1t.  I wasn't expecting that.  I assumed they'd continue in some form or other after Vinnie's announcement.  Heaven alone knows how they've kept going so long though...they are one of the best but most wretchedly supported bands I've ever known.  Only seen them about 4 times (plus twice with Mike H) and every one a stone cold classic.

I'm a little sad that the nearest thing to a Increible String Band tribute act is to be no more.  I saw them only once and they were wonderful.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #697 on: September 24, 2018, 07:05:31 AM »

I've still not actually seen anywhere online that they are splitting...do we know this for a fact?

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #698 on: September 24, 2018, 08:47:37 AM »

Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets at Portsmouth Guildhall...I never thought I'd see a band play pre-Dark Side Of The Moon era Pink Floyd with such enthusiasm, passion and love as I did last night. An outstanding gig with some real surprises.

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #699 on: September 24, 2018, 04:14:19 PM »

Jules & The Jinks Saturday night at Rockwood Music Hall in Manhattan. I'm very high on this band right now. Lead singer Julissa Lopez has a voice for the ages and the band is sharp and focused. But its really all about Julissa's voice and she is equally adept at belting out a bluesy number or an upbeat one. She has a lot of stage presence with her provocative moves and outfits. But I'll also add she is a lovely person. I wrote about them on the blog and she was blown away by my idea and we have chatted here and there on social media. She gifted me a t-shirt as a thank you. Its the little gestures I tell ya!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: