TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:51:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803473 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #660 on: September 11, 2018, 10:38:36 AM »

Stunning concert by Camel last night at Aylesbury Waterside (promoted by the Aylesbury Friars bunch, apparently - they had stuff up all around).  First half they gave us the whole of Moonmadness, which was good, but lacked any interaction with the crowd - literally nothing at all until the end when Andy Latimer declared 'That was Moonmadness, now we're off for a short break'.  But the second half was a belter - a number of tracks from more recent albums, which I'm not so familiar with (not that any of their albums are that recent now), but it didn't matter.  They were just brilliant, a lot more interaction, stunning musicality (and excellent sound, even for those of us stuck in the back row of the gods) and a joyful experience, ending with a wonderful encore of Lady Fantasy.  A strong contender for gig of the year!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #661 on: September 11, 2018, 11:46:12 AM »

Stunning concert by Camel last night at Aylesbury Waterside (promoted by the Aylesbury Friars bunch, apparently - they had stuff up all around).  First half they gave us the whole of Moonmadness, which was good, but lacked any interaction with the crowd - literally nothing at all until the end when Andy Latimer declared 'That was Moonmadness, now we're off for a short break'.  But the second half was a belter - a number of tracks from more recent albums, which I'm not so familiar with (not that any of their albums are that recent now), but it didn't matter.  They were just brilliant, a lot more interaction, stunning musicality (and excellent sound, even for those of us stuck in the back row of the gods) and a joyful experience, ending with a wonderful encore of Lady Fantasy.  A strong contender for gig of the year!

I like Camel a lot, but I skipped the concert on this tour and bought the limited vinyl reissue of Moonmadness instead.  Classic Camel, and second only to Mirage, IMO.  Cool
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #662 on: September 11, 2018, 11:47:56 AM »

I like Camel a lot, but I skipped the concert on this tour and bought the limited vinyl reissue of Moonmadness instead.  Classic Camel, and second only to Mirage, IMO.  Cool

I've never seen them before, and missed the Snow Goose concerts a few years ago, so couldn't not go this time.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #663 on: September 11, 2018, 03:02:32 PM »

Daphne's Flight! Really excited, one of the most exhilarating sets of voices I've ever heard. Pure joy.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #664 on: September 12, 2018, 12:15:26 PM »

I've never seen them before, and missed the Snow Goose concerts a few years ago, so couldn't not go this time.

I saw Camel on the original Snow Goose tour, which makes me feel rather old. Cool
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #665 on: September 12, 2018, 05:19:52 PM »

I saw Camel on the original Snow Goose tour, which makes me feel rather old. Cool
Me too. Woking, god alone knows when.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #666 on: September 12, 2018, 09:59:39 PM »

Me too. Woking, god alone knows when.

Presumably it was 1975.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #667 on: September 12, 2018, 10:12:12 PM »

Correction, July 28, 1974 at the Winning Post, Twickenham - the Mirage Tour. (Thanks, Setlist.fm)

Just call me Mr Memory. Shocked Tongue
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:25:17 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #668 on: September 12, 2018, 10:27:37 PM »

Correction, July 28, 1974 at the Winning Post, Twickenham - the Mirage Tour. (Thanks, Setlist.fm)

No, I'll call you Mr Googled Setlist.fm.

Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #669 on: September 13, 2018, 09:25:55 PM »

No, I'll call you Mr Googled Setlist.fm.

Grin

Jules

Grin   Lips Sealed
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #670 on: September 16, 2018, 04:27:57 PM »

Cara Dillon played a very enjoyable gig in Morecambe last night. As I might have commented on before, The Platform isn't the best venue for acoustic gigs but the sound was ok - maybe a bit echoey at the start of each set but better as things went on. She's touring with hubby Sam on piano and guitar and his guitar playing has improved since I last saw him. Previously his playing seemed to be mainly influenced by his brother Sean who has quite an aggressive style but Sam has been working on his finger-picking so there is more variation, which is never a bad thing.

We got most of the songs from her latest Wanderer album plus a selection of older material including There Were Roses, She's Like The Swallow and Hill of Thieves. Plenty of chat from both of them between songs with Cara being very modest about her whistle playing which sounded pretty darned good to me.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #671 on: September 16, 2018, 06:24:21 PM »

The Gryphon gig was excellent playing to very excited audience quite a few of whom had travelled long distances to get there.The music was, as always, bonkers but the musicianship was superb and the band are very tight..
Brian G was happily playing his wonderful array of musical instruments and the new member, Andy *Findhorn played many a fine duet with various other wind instruments.. Crumhorns and sackbuts were in evidence naturally.

It was great and I thoroughly enjoyed it all Grin

Edit:  *that should be Andy Findon !!  Grin
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:40:44 PM by jude » Logged

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #672 on: September 16, 2018, 09:02:52 PM »

new member, Andy Findhorn

What a splendid bit of nominative determinism …  Grin

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #673 on: September 16, 2018, 09:41:23 PM »

new member, Andy Findhorn

What a splendid bit of nominative determinism …  Grin

Where's a good sub-editor when you need one?  Roll Eyes

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #674 on: September 17, 2018, 10:25:18 AM »

Just back from The Good Life Experience 2018.  

Main find was The Fernweh who turned into my new favourite band almost instantly.  Loved: Audiobooks, Gwenno (although she's gone really odd on stage), Seamonsters, Seezoo, Erland Cooper, Bill Ryder-Jones, Darren Hayman, Ferris & Sylvester.  Stick in the Wheel were a weird one for me...massively impressive but entirely emotionally unengaging, I felt, sadly.  Biggest disappointment - the Go! Team.  Loads of fab lectures and talks...Viv Albertine...Chris Watson, Tim Dee etc etc

And much drier weather than was originally forecast.  For a local (to my Cheshire base), smallish bash, TGLE punches well above its weight I think.

Sadly, I'm now of an age where the only sartorial garment I came away with was a Harris Tweed baseball cap.  I've only got a very weak defence...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #675 on: September 17, 2018, 02:34:19 PM »

Main find was The Fernweh who turned into my new favourite band almost instantly.  Loved: Audiobooks, Gwenno (although she's gone really odd on stage), Seamonsters, Seezoo, Erland Cooper, Bill Ryder-Jones, Darren Hayman, Ferris & Sylvester.  Stick in the Wheel were a weird one for me...massively impressive but entirely emotionally unengaging, I felt, sadly.  Biggest disappointment - the Go! Team.  Loads of fab lectures and talks...Viv Albertine...Chris Watson, Tim Dee etc etc

And much drier weather than was originally forecast.  For a local (to my Cheshire base), smallish bash, TGLE punches well above its weight I think.

Sadly, I'm now of an age where the only sartorial garment I came away with was a Harris Tweed baseball cap.  I've only got a very weak defence...

David, I love a list of bands, most of whom I have never heard of whom I must now go and research.
......and I covet the Harris Tweed Baseball cap!!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #676 on: September 17, 2018, 03:17:37 PM »

David, I love a list of bands, most of whom I have never heard of whom I must now go and research.
......and I covet the Harris Tweed Baseball cap!!

Lol.  I actually forgot one of the best...a 3 piece Derry old school '77 sounding punk band called Touts.  they're going to be huge.  First album is being produced by Weller.  They just about manage to sound original whilst still sticking to the tried and tested 4 decade old formula.  Bloody exhausting to watch, mind...  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #677 on: September 17, 2018, 07:18:43 PM »

Daphne's Flight were delightful in Canterbury on Saturday.

The gig was part of a celebration weekend for various members of my family. On Sunday, during the party, we heard the sad news about Maart and I thought of the Daphnes who must have felt the loss keenly, two of them having shared the stage with Maart in Blue Tapestry. The second of their bandmates lost.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #678 on: September 18, 2018, 09:41:09 AM »

I saw Daphne's Flight yesterday at Nettlebed, and they mentioned Maart's death, and asked us to give him a round of applause.  It obviously is something that has touched them.  But despite that, they gave us a great show - five voices working together beautifully.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #679 on: September 18, 2018, 10:52:12 AM »

Weren't they good - those voices together.....can't get enough.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: