TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:54:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803532 times)
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #620 on: July 30, 2018, 09:16:47 PM »

Lunar Festival at Tanworth-in-Arden, where Mali ruled the roost, with a stunning set from Amadou and Mariam as Friday headliners, and a set nearly as good Sunday evening from Songhoy Blues. Lots of other good non-Mali bands too such as Blackash, Plastic Mermaids, Goldfrapp, The Go Team, and Galleon Blast to not name them all. I thought the Stranglers were boring, I've never been very fond of them, although the first album is good.

Shame about the weather, how come British summers are always rubbish, we never have any sun!  Angry
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #621 on: July 30, 2018, 09:17:20 PM »

A little low key...'just' a duo now...and they only did about half an hour.  

Ah, shame.  So no Rickenbacker?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #622 on: July 31, 2018, 06:45:28 AM »

Jules

Oh God, it was all Rickenbacker.  He has that around his neck whenever's he's onstage, doesn't he?  He is a genius on that monster...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #623 on: July 31, 2018, 09:13:25 AM »

Oh God, it was all Rickenbacker.  He has that around his neck whenever's he's onstage, doesn't he?  He is a genius on that monster...

Ah thank heavens for that then.

Jules

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #624 on: July 31, 2018, 12:01:41 PM »

Jules

Like  Grin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #625 on: July 31, 2018, 02:38:45 PM »

Really great.  A little low key...'just' a duo now...and they only did about half an hour.  TP said they are back to working on an album though, so that's great.  It's clear that, for now, his main creative outlet is Bennett Wilson Poole.  And that's probably right...

There's just Tony Poole and Iain Whitmore left from the original band, drummer Michael Wackford died a couple of years ago and I don't think Ross McGeeney has been involved since leaving the band in the 70s. Good to hear there's a new album in the pipeline though, saw them at our local college a couple of times in '74 and '75 - according to their website they were supporting Kevin Coyne the second time, although I'm fairly sure he didn't show and they played the headline slot. Have just got the two collections of demos, outtakes and radio sessions To Try For the Sun and Forever Young, both excellent. Would love to catch one of their gigs but there's seems to be next to nothing about their current activities on the net, even on their own website.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #626 on: July 31, 2018, 02:42:39 PM »

There's just Tony Poole and Iain Whitmore left from the original band, drummer Michael Wackford died a couple of years ago and I don't think Ross McGeeney has been involved since leaving the band in the 70s. Good to hear there's a new album in the pipeline though, saw them at our local college a couple of times in '74 and '75 - according to their website they were supporting Kevin Coyne the second time, although I'm fairly sure he didn't show and they played the headline slot. Have just got the two collections of demos, outtakes and radio sessions To Try For the Sun and Forever Young, both excellent.

I hadn't ever come across them until last year when I was looking for Gene Clark songs on YouTube.  I'd have already splashed some cash for their music if the song that pulled me in (Echoes) wasn't notable by its absence on any of their CDs.

Jules

Col D

« Reply #627 on: July 31, 2018, 03:17:24 PM »

I hadn't ever come across them until last year when I was looking for Gene Clark songs on YouTube.  I'd have already splashed some cash for their music if the song that pulled me in (Echoes) wasn't notable by its absence on any of their CDs.

Jules

Echoes is on the To Try for the Sun CD.

http://www.starryeyedandlaughing.com/Starry_Rec_ToTryForTheSun.htm

Both their 70s albums have been recently reissued by Sony in Japan and are quite reasonable on eBay atm (well, reasonable when considering the usual prices when buying from Japan)
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #628 on: July 31, 2018, 03:24:37 PM »

Echoes is on the To Try for the Sun CD.

http://www.starryeyedandlaughing.com/Starry_Rec_ToTryForTheSun.htm

Both their 70s albums have been recently reissued by Sony in Japan and are quite reasonable on eBay atm (well, reasonable when considering the usual prices when buying from Japan)

Jeez - I must have overlooked that.  Thanks, Col!

Jules

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #629 on: July 31, 2018, 04:57:58 PM »

Steve Miller Band / Peter Frampton, ACL Live last night!

Peter played for about 1:15, and told great stories in between songs.  It was a real guitar clinic.

Steve Miller played everything of course, but the middle part of his set was deep blues, featuring special guest Jimmy Vaughan and, on two songs, Peter Frampton!  It was very special seeing all three of these great guitarists on stage at the same time.

As promised:

* Frampton 2018-07-30.jpg (94.86 KB, 574x431 - viewed 752 times.)
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #630 on: July 31, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »

Peter played for about 1:15

Blimey, just over a minute? The man doesn't mess about.

Grin

Jules

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #631 on: July 31, 2018, 05:35:38 PM »

Peter played for about 1:15

Blimey, just over a minute? The man doesn't mess about.

Grin

Jules

Barely enough time to plug in the talk box!

1H:15M?  I'm experimenting with shorthand.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #632 on: July 31, 2018, 06:47:51 PM »

1H:15M?  I'm experimenting with shorthand.

Don't mind me, John, I was experimenting with pedantry for comic effect.

Jules

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #633 on: August 04, 2018, 09:04:05 AM »

Was doing front of house duties at Witham Public Hall last night where we hosted The Animals & Friends. They were excellent with the band containing founder Animals member John Steel on drums and Micky Gallagher (who replaced Alan Price in the band at very short notice in 1965) on keyboards. Danny Handley was on lead guitar and vocals and his guitar work was superb. A very clear and pristine sound and whilst his vocals did not contain the menace of Eric Burdon, he was nonetheless very good. Well worth seeing if you get the chance  Smiley

Born to Run (but not very fast)
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #634 on: August 11, 2018, 11:36:29 PM »

Jeff Lynne's ELO/Dawes last night, Toyota Center, in simmering and wet Houston, Texas!

Dawes are fantastic - highly recommend.  They were promoting a new album and only had 45 minutes onstage, so no screwing around.  I may circle back for one of their headline shows later this year.

Jeff Lynne is a miracle.  There's no one from the old ELO with him (Richard Tandy was not in da hizzouse), but he's got a cracking band and his voice is virtually unchanged since the '70s.  A little disco, a few ballads, and otherwise he bounced from hit to hit.

SPOILER ALERTS:  He played "Handle With Care" from the Traveling Wilburys as well.  Awesome!!!!!!  Also "Turn To Stone," "Telephone Line," "Strange Magic," "Don't Bring Me Down," "Mr. Blue Sky," etc. etc. etc.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #635 on: August 12, 2018, 08:38:54 AM »

Jeff Lynne's ELO/Dawes last night, Toyota Center, in simmering and wet Houston, Texas!

Dawes are fantastic - highly recommend.  They were promoting a new album and only had 45 minutes onstage, so no screwing around.  I may circle back for one of their headline shows later this year.

Jeff Lynne is a miracle.  There's no one from the old ELO with him (Richard Tandy was not in da hizzouse), but he's got a cracking band and his voice is virtually unchanged since the '70s.  A little disco, a few ballads, and otherwise he bounced from hit to hit.

SPOILER ALERTS:  He played "Handle With Care" from the Traveling Wilburys as well.  Awesome!!!!!!  Also "Turn To Stone," "Telephone Line," "Strange Magic," "Don't Bring Me Down," "Mr. Blue Sky," etc. etc. etc.
Currently no 1 on my bucket list of bands I want to see!!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #636 on: August 13, 2018, 06:03:47 AM »

Currently no 1 on my bucket list of bands I want to see!!

You won't be disappointed Bridg!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #637 on: August 13, 2018, 01:07:44 PM »

I'd love to see that combination (Dawes/ELO) over here, but Dawes don't seem to get out of the US  Sad

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Col D

« Reply #638 on: August 13, 2018, 08:54:18 PM »

I'd love to see that combination (Dawes/ELO) over here, but Dawes don't seem to get out of the US  Sad

I think they first came over here in 2011 (although they also backed Jonathan Wilson on his first visit over here, which may have preceded that) and have been back every year since with the exception of 2017, although not usually more than three or four dates each time.
Big Ade
Not the post card I expected

Loc: Dunblane, scotland

« Reply #639 on: August 19, 2018, 10:53:36 AM »

Was at Runrig's last ever gig last night at Stirling and WOW!!  A real celebration of the back catalogue. Support from Donnie Munro and Julie Fowlis who both performed Runrig sons in their sets and joined the band later.

Runrig were unbelievably good. There's utube videos of various parts of the show and a DVD in the pipeline which will be worth checking out.

An amazing and fitting end to a 45 year career.  The songs and music will undoubtedly live on, I include a number of their songs in my sets and 'Loch Lomond' is and will remain the 'traditional' end to most weddings and parties in Scotland.

There's nothing wrong with being normal, just don't be ordinary.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: