TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:00:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803335 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #600 on: July 26, 2018, 03:57:12 PM »

yes I should have checked my spelling on 'Rogers'! Embarrassed
No it's mine that's wrong Sad

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #601 on: July 26, 2018, 05:18:14 PM »

Did anyone go to Paul McCartney’s surprise, free gig at The Cavern Club today?

I heard it announced at 9.30ish, tickets could only be collected in person with photos ID, one per person and the concert queueing was allowed to start at 12 noon.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #602 on: July 26, 2018, 08:42:17 PM »

I heard it announced at 9.30ish, tickets could only be collected in person with photos ID, one per person and the concert queueing was allowed to start at 12 noon.

That's the second little gig he's done in Liverpool in about 3 or 4 weeks!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Penny

« Reply #603 on: July 27, 2018, 08:29:01 PM »

Do watch the car pool karaoke thing he did with James someone. Is on YouTube and is surprisingly moving.  We tried to get tickets for McCartney's London O2 gig but they sold out in seconds . . Sigh. Angry
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #604 on: July 27, 2018, 08:39:41 PM »

Nice idea.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #605 on: July 27, 2018, 09:51:21 PM »

Bizarre that he'd want to play Liverpool. I mean, the place is full of scousers!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #606 on: July 27, 2018, 11:46:56 PM »

Yeah, but a goodly proportion of the lucky ticket holders interviewed on the telly weren't even English, let alone scousers!

Just got in after seeing the latest incarnation of Gong. Pretty good, though the more recent material isn't as good as their peak.

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #607 on: July 28, 2018, 08:12:35 AM »

Yeah, but a goodly proportion of the lucky ticket holders interviewed on the telly weren't even English, let alone scousers!

I hate to break it to you people, but Liverpool (like much of the rest of the UK) is really rather multi-cultural.  Something to do with it being a University town, a tourist centre, and just how it is!  Ticket holders had to be in Liverpool at about 9am when it was announced on the local radio, and then get to the Echo where tickets were given out at 10am.  Personally, I'm rather pleased there wasn't a Scouseness test involved  Wink

As for Gong....I simply don't get this latest lineup however good they are.  Where's the connection?  Quite bizarre (to me) but I know a lot of people who like them....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #608 on: July 28, 2018, 09:48:35 AM »

July July Band's "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" album launch party at West Malvern Social Club. Very small intimate venue with only about 40 people through the door. Nice mix of material delivered by Fotheringay  like instrumentation, plus a section with just fiddle & electric piano, supporting Julie's excellent voice made for a splendid evening's entertainment. Not generally being a fan of Sandy's material performed by others, my expectations were not high & I had to talk myself into going. However, I would not hesitate recommending them to anyone. They'll be playing a free gig at The Brasenose next Saturday (4th August).  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #609 on: July 28, 2018, 12:13:16 PM »

I hate to break it to you people, but Liverpool (like much of the rest of the UK) is really rather multi-cultural.  Something to do with it being a University town, a tourist centre, and just how it is!  Ticket holders had to be in Liverpool at about 9am when it was announced on the local radio, and then get to the Echo where tickets were given out at 10am.  Personally, I'm rather pleased there wasn't a Scouseness test involved  Wink

As for Gong....I simply don't get this latest lineup however good they are.  Where's the connection?  Quite bizarre (to me) but I know a lot of people who like them....

I know how Liverpool/Merseyside has blossomed, Dave, I was pointing out that the editors of the TV piece had (presumably) chosen which interviews to use to show just that.

Flobbadob!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #610 on: July 29, 2018, 12:36:26 AM »

One of the lucky punters at the fake Cavern was irish tv's late late show presenter Ryan Tubridy. He was one of the smiling recipients on the local news up here.

The Dude abides
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #611 on: July 29, 2018, 06:50:17 PM »

Third time I have seen Shelagh McDonald this time at the lovely Kirkgate centre, over thirty in the audience this time a the venue had great sound and gave Shelagh the opportunity to air some new material which is sounding great. Guitar playing was great and the vocal is still beautiful.  Amongst the new tracks were a lovely rigs of rye and let no man steal your thyme plus the usual quartet of songs with Nigel H Seymour who I a starting to warm too. A great gig and hopefully a step towards larger gigs Shelagh really needs a bigger audience she is something special and I would not like her to go away again.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #612 on: July 30, 2018, 11:22:21 AM »

Third time I have seen Shelagh McDonald this time at the lovely Kirkgate centre, over thirty in the audience this time a the venue had great sound and gave Shelagh the opportunity to air some new material which is sounding great. Guitar playing was great and the vocal is still beautiful.  Amongst the new tracks were a lovely rigs of rye and let no man steal your thyme plus the usual quartet of songs with Nigel H Seymour who I a starting to warm too. A great gig and hopefully a step towards larger gigs Shelagh really needs a bigger audience she is something special and I would not like her to go away again.

Just had a run of three gigs without a drumkit or bass guitar in sight!!

Ian McNabb

Natalie Merchant

and Graham Nash

nearly 7 hours of wonderful songs.

I've now seen 2 members of CSNY do A Day in the Life. Croz and Stephen get a move on.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #613 on: July 30, 2018, 12:08:39 PM »

Just had a run of three gigs without a drumkit or bass guitar in sight!!

Ian McNabb

Natalie Merchant

and Graham Nash

nearly 7 hours of wonderful songs.

I've now seen 2 members of CSNY do A Day in the Life. Croz and Stephen get a move on.

How about together?  Just a thought...  Grin  I always thought I would get to see CSNY, especially when they were doing those big tours in the US.  Looks exceedingly unlikely now, of course.  In an alternative reality (one where I wasn't 10 years older now) Wembley '74 is definitely one I'd have liked to have got to...

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #614 on: July 30, 2018, 12:21:43 PM »

Saw CSN at the Royal Albert Hall 3 or 4 years ago. They did the entire first album in order in the second half of the show. Absolutely brilliant and ranks as one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #615 on: July 30, 2018, 05:12:54 PM »

I always thought I would get to see CSNY, especially when they were doing those big tours in the US.  

Same.  I should have gone in 2002.  I had friends who were ready to put me up.  I just blanched at the cost of it all.  I'm stupid in so many ways.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #616 on: July 30, 2018, 06:57:48 PM »

I always thought I would get to see CSNY, especially when they were doing those big tours in the US.  

Same.  I should have gone in 2002.  I had friends who were ready to put me up.  I just blanched at the cost of it all.  I'm stupid in so many ways.

Jules

By coincidence, the song "I Used To Be A King" popped up on the iPod this morning, recorded live at the Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas on April 10, 2002. It's an atrocious recording but a powerful performance.  That turned out to be my one and only CSNY show.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #617 on: July 30, 2018, 07:05:45 PM »

This.

One of the best musical evenings I've had in aeons.  Every single act was a treasure...some of them revelatory, and Andrew Hockey blew my tiny little mind into pieces.  If anybody has one of his decade old 10-inchers lying around unloved please sell it to me.  Please.

* 36383584_1072309832909702_3206110571552309248_n (1).jpg (172.03 KB, 679x960 - viewed 513 times.)

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #618 on: July 30, 2018, 08:02:33 PM »

This.

One of the best musical evenings I've had in aeons.  Every single act was a treasure...

How were Starry Eyed And Laughing?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #619 on: July 30, 2018, 08:51:53 PM »

This.

One of the best musical evenings I've had in aeons.  Every single act was a treasure...

How were Starry Eyed And Laughing?

Jules

Really great.  A little low key...'just' a duo now...and they only did about half an hour.  TP said they are back to working on an album though, so that's great.  It's clear that, for now, his main creative outlet is Bennett Wilson Poole.  And that's probably right...

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: