TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:08:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 814079 times)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #560 on: July 09, 2018, 05:48:34 PM »

Ok, Bridge and Jim - those two gigs must've been excellent, can I just ask you what the sound was like at Hyde Park ?

The reason I'm asking is because I went there to watch Bruce Springsteen in 2012, the night they were jamming "Twist & Shout/La Bamba" with Macca and broke the curfew, causing the PA to be faded out before the musicians on stage had finished playing.

The sound that day was so quiet, it was no louder than a hi-fi at a "ooh, the parents have gone out, shall we be naughty and crank the stereo up a bit ?" level. People next to each other were holding normal level conversations. Now I don't go to live gigs to be deafened, but I certainly like to be overwhelmed by what I've paid to see. The E-Street Band were terrific that day - just shy of 20 musicians on that stage giving their all - but they were simply not loud enough.

Pricing and crowd aside (those are separate issues), along with the hassle of travelling to London from the provinces to get there, I vowed never to go to Hyde Park for a gig again, so underwhelmed I was by the experience. I've missed various gigs there over the last 6 years, simply from digging my heels in and saying "I'd go but not if it's at Hyde Park." These range from Paul Simon, Carole King, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, and the aforementioned Roger Waters and The Cure, etc...

So, please let me know - have things improved since 2012 ? Is it worth giving Hyde Park another go ? I'm more than happy to be proved wrong on this matter, as I don't wish to miss out on more big occasions due to my opinion and experience of the venue being based on the way things were 6 years ago...

Dan, my mate Bob, who I play in a band with , is not given to hyperbole. He was at the gig and since, he has just raved about it. Probably best gig he has been to........and he has been to many......and the sound was, apparently , stunning.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #561 on: July 09, 2018, 09:15:28 PM »

The sound was incredible on the main stage. Never experienced such amazing sound.  My lad and I were stunned by it..
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #562 on: July 10, 2018, 07:16:50 AM »

The sound was incredible, maybe the bass was cranked up a little too high but it is a huge part of Cure songs so it didn’t distract. The entire concert is on YouTube (for once I am grateful to the person who must have held up their phone for 2 hours!!)
With regards the cost of food & beer, we knew that would happen and budgeted accordingly. It was my husband's Xmas pressie & part of a package with a hotel, so we didn’t want to scrimp on the sundries. We just went for it and started the day with 2 glasses of veuve clicquot at £16 each. Sometimes you have to.

Would have loved to have seen Roger Waters too, and indeed Paul Simon next weekend.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #563 on: July 10, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »

Trembling Bells at The White Hotel in Salford. A new venue for us, a ramshackle single-storey building that was probably a garage workshop or similar in a previous life, stuck out in the middle of a scuzzy and rubbish-strewn industrial estate near to Strangeways Prison. So not a hotel although probably white at some point in its past but it was difficult to tell underneath all the dirt.  Fine set by the Bells but a pretty low turn-out of around fifty - they've been buiding a decent following in Manchester over the last few years, but this was like going back to their early gigs here ten or so years back, maybe the locals already knew the venue and decided to steer clear, can't say I blame them.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 06:45:41 PM by Col D » Logged
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #564 on: July 10, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »

Trembling Bells at The White Hotel in Salford. A new venue for us, a ramshackle single-storey building that was probably a garage workshop or similar in a previous life, stuck out in the middle of a scuzzy and rubbish-strewn industrial estate near to Strangeways Prison. So not a hotel although probably white at some point in its past but it was difficult to tell underneath all the dirt.  Fine set by the Bells but a pretty low turn-out of around fifty - they've been buiding a decent following in Manchester over the last few years, but this was like going back to their early gigs here ten or so years back, maybe the locals already knew the venue and decided to steer clear.

Aren't they playing Tod as well?  If so, that's probably about another 10-20 that would otherwise have travelled to Manchester...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

« Reply #565 on: July 10, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »

Aren't they playing Tod as well?  If so, that's probably about another 10-20 that would otherwise have travelled to Manchester...

Not this time, they played the Golden Lion on the last tour in April, but there are no more North West gigs until Liverpool in September
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #566 on: July 10, 2018, 07:19:26 PM »

Not this time, they played the Golden Lion on the last tour in April, but there are no more North West gigs until Liverpool in September

That's weird then...very odd.  I keep thinking they are getting momentum, but it never seems to quite happen...they can't keep playing to 50 people for ever, can they?!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

« Reply #567 on: July 11, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »

That's weird then...very odd.  I keep thinking they are getting momentum, but it never seems to quite happen...they can't keep playing to 50 people for ever, can they?!

I thought they were building some momentum too, their last Manchester gig at The Deaf Institute was very encouraging, certainly the biggest crowd I've seen them play to as a headliner, so the audience is there but for whatever reason didn't seem very keen on turning out for Monday's gig. Maybe this was just a blip due to an unsuitable venue, which I could understand would put a few people off.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #568 on: July 11, 2018, 10:46:08 PM »

I thought they were building some momentum too, their last Manchester gig at The Deaf Institute was very encouraging, certainly the biggest crowd I've seen them play to as a headliner, so the audience is there but for whatever reason didn't seem very keen on turning out for Monday's gig. Maybe this was just a blip due to an unsuitable venue, which I could understand would put a few people off.

The heat must have put a few people off I would think. If you haven't committed by buying a ticket then it's easy to just not bother, which is what I've done a couple times in the last fortnight.
Would like to see Trembling Bells next week, but have to fit it round work.
Simon Withers

« Reply #569 on: July 12, 2018, 10:39:48 AM »

…I attended a rather wonderful gig in Basingstoke last night…Big Big Train.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #570 on: July 12, 2018, 10:58:57 AM »

Lucky you - I'd love to see them live. So far they haven't ventured this far north! I blame Northern Rail.
Simon Withers

« Reply #571 on: July 12, 2018, 11:58:14 AM »

Lucky you - I'd love to see them live. So far they haven't ventured this far north! I blame Northern Rail.

I believe 9from what I heard last night) that in 2019 BBT will venture North... Smiley
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #572 on: July 12, 2018, 12:21:51 PM »

Well jel  Cool determined to see them soon

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #573 on: July 12, 2018, 02:20:57 PM »

Big Big Train were rather fabulous last night, exemplary prog rock. The crowd at Night Of The Prog in Loreley are in for a treat !
On last night's showing would like to see them again...
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #574 on: July 12, 2018, 06:32:41 PM »

Big Big Train were rather fabulous last night, exemplary prog rock. The crowd at Night Of The Prog in Loreley are in for a treat !

Is Mr Gregory still with 'em?

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #575 on: July 12, 2018, 07:59:22 PM »

Is Mr Gregory still with 'em?

he is indeed.. such a lovely man  Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #576 on: July 13, 2018, 02:39:51 PM »

As part 2 of my 50th Birthday celebrations the phenomenal afrobeat of Antibalas in Prospect Park Brooklyn, part of their free summer concert series. I'm so glad I crossed them off my list. Because they are Brooklyn based with a revolving cast of musicians last night was a full scale party and the stage was crowded with about 74 horn players, 20 percussionists, 37 guitarists, and 1 million dancers  Cheesy Seriously, they were just so tight sounding and really had the crowd going. It was a beautiful night and with my dear friend with me, a night I won't forget.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #577 on: July 15, 2018, 10:13:17 PM »

Not really a gig, but I saw Muse, Drones, World Tour at the cinema last week. Very good, but I was surprised how little new material there was, considering that I last saw them about twelve years ago.

Paul

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #578 on: July 15, 2018, 10:41:45 PM »

Does this count as a gig? Went to the Battle Proms event at Hatfield House yesterday. It included a cavalry display, the Red Devil’s Parachute Team, a Spitfire display and some wonderful classical music and fireworks with real cannons for the 1812 Overture....all in aid of the Armed Forces charity. A bit different for me but worth it

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #579 on: July 16, 2018, 01:01:14 AM »

The wonderful Jurrasic Fields festival in Bridport. Not just because it is within staggering distance of home, but because once again the volunteers organising it put on a stunning  event.  

Highlights for me and "my lot" were the incredible 3 Daft Monkeys  who bizarrely played one of the smaller stages while some unoriginal covers band  "thrilled" the audience on the main stage.

The truly  beautiful and energy driven Leylines from Weston -Superrmare overlapped and we had a Sophia's choice moment, but as we will be catching up with 3DM at Beautiful Days next month we moved to the even smaller 'Tiny Top' venue to watch their set. They stormed it, despite the competition the audience engaged with energy and real passion and a fabulous hour of songs from their first album and some new from their yet to be released album followed. The "Tiny Top" was rammed, whilst some mediocre outfit  knocked out their version of "Valerie" on the main stage.

A quick rush back to the other stage  at the end of the Leylines set meant that we were treated to nearly 90 minutes of stunning showmanship and musical finnese from the amazing happening that is Tankus the Henge.  Female companions were weak at the knees, whilst the chaps just stood in stunned admiration at the musical dexterity and  atmosphere as Jaz Delorean took us through an energetic and musically accomplished set with smoking pianos, death defying acrobatics all delivered with a cross between Tom Waits and a circus extravaganza.

Ironically we left for the second night running into the main arena to hear the "headliner" delivering their version  of the Specials "Monkey Man" (Dub Pistols then The Duelers)
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: