TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:55:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803403 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #520 on: June 07, 2018, 02:58:23 PM »

Some sublime 12-bar blues last night from the 78 year old Lil’ Jimmy Reed (aka Leon Atkins) at the Witham Public Hall in Essex

Born to Run (but not very fast)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #521 on: June 08, 2018, 01:24:47 AM »

Well, that was interesting. I'll try and be quick as this will be anaethema to many here.

Electric Summer - Kent Cricket Ground Canterbury.

Tom Bailey of the Thompson Twins has written some songs I like and this would have been a crowd pleasing set were it not for the fact that he sang woefully out of tune throughout. I never saw him in his heyday so have no idea to what extent his vocals have ever been augmented by technology but this was painful. Backed by two keyboard players and a drummer (possibly synth drums, I wasn't paying close enough attention), the sound was thin and shrill and I suspect the headliners had slipped the soundman a tenner because by contrast:

OMD were terrific. Great sound. Synth based again, from the same era as Tom Bailey but the presence of acoustic drums and (often) bass guitar makes such a difference to the dynamics of the sound. I have only recently warmed to OMD after 35 years of only really listening to one of their songs (Messages). This was a 70 minute greatest hits set starting with Enola Gay with a funny and self effacing turn from Andy McCluskey upfront. They had the audience eating out of the palm of their hand.

a-ha: Pal Waaktaar's other band, Savoy, where his heart really lies, are a faintly industrial, New York based indie rock outfit where he is allowed free rein to indulge his aspirations to be Reeves Gabrels or Henry Kaiser. Having endured an acoustic tour to support a-ha's MTV Unplugged album during 2017, this tour is clearly Waaktaar's revenge. Several of the songs were filtered through a Trent Reznor sensibility and rendered if not unrecognisable, then certainly a tad indigestible at times. It was clearly not what this crowd was expecting, particularly after such a tight greatest hits set from OMD. You could feel some impatience creeping in as Waaktaar characteristically ignored the audience, changed guitars every other song and fiddled with his effects pedals. The equally taciturn Morten Harket made frequent trips to the side of the stage to debate issues with someone in the wings, leaving it to the more gregarious keyboard player, Magne Furuholmen to do most of the heavy lifting in terms of engaging with the audience. Fortunately at the point where "shall we leave now?" glances were being exchanged between audience members, the band pulled it back together with a solid volley of hits, played straighter, for the last 40 minutes of the set.

It was a beautiful evening and a lot of fun. I'm never sure what I think when a band choose to confront their audience rather than pander to it but this was clearly the price of Waaktaar's involvement at this point and it was fascinating to watch.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:40:16 AM by GubGub (Al) » Logged
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #522 on: June 09, 2018, 09:09:48 AM »

Whilst not (quite) in the same league as some of the other recent gigs posted here, we hosted a Pink Floyd tribute act at Witham Public Hall last night called Mimik Floyd (rubbish name I have to admit). Now I’ve never been a fan of tribute acts but Mimik Floyd were superb. A very authentic sound with excellent guitar, bass and saxophone playing and including a laser show. They played the entire Dark Side of the Moon album (celebrating its 45th anniversary) together with the usual choice cuts from Wish You Were Here (opening the set with an excellent version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond), The Wall and Animals. In the absence of the “real” Pink Floyd, they are well worth seeing and up there with The Australian Pink Floyd on a much more limited budget.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #523 on: June 09, 2018, 03:45:38 PM »

Well, that was interesting. I'll try and be quick as this will be anaethema to many here.

Electric Summer - Kent Cricket Ground Canterbury.

Tom Bailey of the Thompson Twins has written some songs I like and this would have been a crowd pleasing set were it not for the fact that he sang woefully out of tune throughout. I never saw him in his heyday so have no idea to what extent his vocals have ever been augmented by technology but this was painful. Backed by two keyboard players and a drummer (possibly synth drums, I wasn't paying close enough attention), the sound was thin and shrill and I suspect the headliners had slipped the soundman a tenner because by contrast:

OMD were terrific. Great sound. Synth based again, from the same era as Tom Bailey but the presence of acoustic drums and (often) bass guitar makes such a difference to the dynamics of the sound. I have only recently warmed to OMD after 35 years of only really listening to one of their songs (Messages). This was a 70 minute greatest hits set starting with Enola Gay with a funny and self effacing turn from Andy McCluskey upfront. They had the audience eating out of the palm of their hand.

a-ha: Pal Waaktaar's other band, Savoy, where his heart really lies, are a faintly industrial, New York based indie rock outfit where he is allowed free rein to indulge his aspirations to be Reeves Gabrels or Henry Kaiser. Having endured an acoustic tour to support a-ha's MTV Unplugged album during 2017, this tour is clearly Waaktaar's revenge. Several of the songs were filtered through a Trent Reznor sensibility and rendered if not unrecognisable, then certainly a tad indigestible at times. It was clearly not what this crowd was expecting, particularly after such a tight greatest hits set from OMD. You could feel some impatience creeping in as Waaktaar characteristically ignored the audience, changed guitars every other song and fiddled with his effects pedals. The equally taciturn Morten Harket made frequent trips to the side of the stage to debate issues with someone in the wings, leaving it to the more gregarious keyboard player, Magne Furuholmen to do most of the heavy lifting in terms of engaging with the audience. Fortunately at the point where "shall we leave now?" glances were being exchanged between audience members, the band pulled it back together with a solid volley of hits, played straighter, for the last 40 minutes of the set.

It was a beautiful evening and a lot of fun. I'm never sure what I think when a band choose to confront their audience rather than pander to it but this was clearly the price of Waaktaar's involvement at this point and it was fascinating to watch.
We’ve just arrived in Yeovil for tonight’s offering which sadly does not include OMD. Still, it’s an outdoor event, the weather is fabulous and we’ll enjoy ourselves come what may .  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #524 on: June 10, 2018, 01:24:47 AM »

Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbot at Thetford Forest. All the hits and more, great band, massive horns, and Heaton in splendid between-song form.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #525 on: June 10, 2018, 03:38:39 PM »

The band, sadly, had as much personality as a day-old blancmange. Morten just stands and sings. No movement, no gestures.
It’s their farewell tour. Just as well.

It was ever thus. The fact of the matter is that they can barely stand to be in the same room as each other, let alone on the same stage. And Morten has always been a reluctant frontman and eschewed any responsibility for engaging the audience. Sometimes they overcome it and they can be electric live. I saw a great show at the O2 several years ago. It was clear when I saw them on Thursday though that all is not well on this tour. And that was just the first show.

I don't think it is their farewell tour though. In fact they had their farewell tour about 5 years ago and released a very good valedictory live album to celebrate it. Then they reformed to play a benefit show for the victims of the Utoya island shootings and have continued ever since. I think the official line is that they are a part time band, only existing for a few months a year around their other various individual interests.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #526 on: June 10, 2018, 04:23:15 PM »

massive horns

Shocked

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #527 on: June 10, 2018, 04:33:41 PM »

Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbot at Thetford Forest. All the hits and more, great band, massive horns, and Heaton in splendid between-song form.

We are going to Cannock Chase at the end of the month to see them,with the Bard of Barking ascacniceclittle bonus I believe.

Happy mainly.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #528 on: June 10, 2018, 07:26:36 PM »

We are going to Cannock Chase at the end of the month to see them,with the Bard of Barking ascacniceclittle bonus I believe.

Sir Billy of Bragg was also on good form. He’s not one to leave his politics at the gate, mind...  Grin

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #529 on: June 10, 2018, 10:21:46 PM »

Sensation, the music of The Who.

Not really a tribute band (if they were that was the worst John Entwistle impression I have ever seen, she could play the bass well though  Wink Grin). It was more a stage show based around their work. Some of the singers came from the stage shows. They did all the old hits, followed by most of Tommy, followed by most of Quadrophenia, followed by all the new hits. Guitarist played all the Townshend stuff admirably, and the female keyboard player belted out Acid Queen better than Tina Turner.

Paul

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #530 on: June 10, 2018, 10:51:57 PM »

Congratulations on creating a new word! Grin

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #531 on: June 11, 2018, 08:03:46 AM »

I drag Mike along to a lot of prog, so we decided it was time to see something more his bag (he is 80's man).

And so to Huish Park, the home of Yeovil football team to see A-ha supported by Tom Bailey (Thompson Twins) and China Crisis. The original blurb said OMD we’re supporting which was why we booked but this changed last minute. Never mind, we thought. It’ll still be a good show, we thought... Undecided

China Crisis were excellent. They sang all their hits plus 2 new songs, both with an 80’s vibe so fitted in very well. The between-songs banter was cheeky scouse and they really warmed the crowd up. I’d happily see them again.

Then Tom Bailey. The best thing I can say about him is he has a cute all-girl band. Not impressed. Everyone else seemed to enjoy him tho, so maybe they don’t mind out of tune singing and wrong notes...Huh

And then A-ha. Great backing band, the sound was good. The band, sadly, had as much personality as a day-old blancmange. Morten just stands and sings. No movement, no gestures. We left when they came back on for an encore thus missing the queues and were back at the caravan an hour later, having cleansed my palate with some Steven Wilson  Angry

Massive thumbs up to the organisers who were cheerful, helpful and kept the place spotless. Next time I go will be for football tho.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #532 on: June 11, 2018, 10:19:19 AM »

I drag Mike along to a lot of prog, so we decided it was time to see something more his bag (he is 80's man).

And so to Huish Park, the home of Yeovil football team to see A-ha supported by Tom Bailey (Thompson Twins) and China Crisis. The original blurb said OMD we’re supporting which was why we booked but this changed last minute. Never mind, we thought. It’ll still be a good show, we thought... Undecided

China Crisis were excellent. They sang all their hits plus 2 new songs, both with an 80’s vibe so fitted in very well. The between-songs banter was cheeky scouse and they really warmed the crowd up. I’d happily see them again.

Then Tom Bailey. The best thing I can say about him is he has a cute all-girl band. Not impressed. Everyone else seemed to enjoy him tho, so maybe they don’t mind out of tune singing and wrong notes...Huh

And then A-ha. Great backing band, the sound was good. The band, sadly, had as much personality as a day-old blancmange. Morten just stands and sings. No movement, no gestures. We left when they came back on for an encore thus missing the queues and were back at the caravan an hour later, having cleansed my palate with some Steven Wilson  Angry

Massive thumbs up to the organisers who were cheerful, helpful and kept the place spotless. Next time I go will be for football tho.

Just re-posting my original reply for the sake of chronology.

It was ever thus. The fact of the matter is that they can barely stand to be in the same room as each other, let alone on the same stage. And Morten has always been a reluctant frontman and eschewed any responsibility for engaging the audience. Sometimes they overcome it and they can be electric live. I saw a great show at the O2 several years ago. It was clear when I saw them on Thursday though that all is not well on this tour. And that was just the first show.

I don't think it is their farewell tour though. In fact they had their farewell tour about 5 years ago and released a very good valedictory live album to celebrate it. Then they reformed to play a benefit show for the victims of the Utoya island shootings and have continued ever since. I think the official line is that they are a part time band, only existing for a few months a year around their other various individual interests.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #533 on: June 11, 2018, 10:28:20 AM »

Just re-posting my original reply for the sake of chronology.

Don’t think I’ll bother seeking out A-ha given the reviews on here. Always thought Take On Me was a decent track but most of their other stuff left me a bit nonplussed. Thompson Twins similarly left me cold. China Crisis though were one of my favourite 1980’s synth bands and OMD were and are in different league. Just my opinion for what it’s worth

abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #534 on: June 14, 2018, 07:35:29 AM »

I feel I should give a mention to Download, not necessarily for all the usual suspects and headliners but for a band who were  on the Zippo stage at 12:45, the brilliant Greta Van Fleet, my new Favourite Thing, check them out if you event already.  

(For the record, Axl Rose was awful, Ozzy was fab)

it'll be fine.......
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #535 on: June 16, 2018, 11:30:40 AM »

The Rolling Stones last night at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff. I won the tickets in work so was more than happy to delay the first day of my holidays to see them!

First up was Elbow "we're Elbow from Manchester and we're opening for the Stones!".  I don't know much about their music but I can listen to One Day Like This over and over. Loved them.

And on to the main act. What can I say? They're all over 70 yet they put people half their age to shame. Mick had done his homework and spoke about local places like Chippy Lane and even spoke some Welsh which always goes down well  Cheesy

They sang a load of their hits which was great as it meant everyone could sing along, and some great blues. I even enjoyed Keith's slot, although I'm not convinced he knew exactly where he was! Similarly Ronnie Wood who I'm afraid lacks stage presence somewhat. Keef managed to mess up the start to Jumping Jack Flash but other than that the music was amazing. I've no idea how Charlie Watts does it, but he produces exactly he right sound with what looks like minimal effort. A bit like DM IMHO.

A great night thoroughly enjoyed by the capacity audience. I know Andy L and Mick F were there and I'm sure they are better at articulating a constructive critique than I am!!

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #536 on: June 16, 2018, 11:38:03 AM »

The Rolling Stones last night at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff. I won the tickets in work so was more than happy to delay the first day of my holidays to see them!

First up was Elbow "we're Elbow from Manchester and we're opening for the Stones!".  I don't know much about their music but I can listen to One Day Like This over and over. Loved them.

And on to the main act. What can I say? They're all over 70 yet they put people half their age to shame. Mick had done his homework and spoke about local places like Chippy Lane and even spoke some Welsh which always goes down well  Cheesy

They sang a load of their hits which was great as it meant everyone could sing along, and some great blues. I even enjoyed Keith's slot, although I'm not convinced he knew exactly where he was! Similarly Ronnie Wood who I'm afraid lacks stage presence somewhat. Keef managed to mess up the start to Jumping Jack Flash but other than that the music was amazing. I've no idea how Charlie Watts does it, but he produces exactly he right sound with what looks like minimal effort. A bit like DM IMHO.

A great night thoroughly enjoyed by the capacity audience. I know Andy L and Mick F were there and I'm sure they are better at articulating a constructive critique than I am!!

All I can say is 'Bloody Brilliant!'

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #537 on: June 16, 2018, 01:27:58 PM »

Elbow's sound was so muffled and muddy that we could barely make out the lyrics - the standout feature of most Elbow songs. They arrived 10 minutes late but left on time, so their setlist was truncated:

Magnificent (She Says)
Leaders Of The Free World
Lippy Kids
The Bones of You
Little Fictions
One Day Like This*
Grounds for Divorce

*Considering their best known song (to me) is now 10 years old at least, you'd think it might be better than the rest, on the night. It was, barely. Guy Garvey kept on about opening for the Stones, he seemed happy, you could say Stoned...

The Stones setlist was

Street Fighting Man
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
Tumbling Dice
Paint It Black
Get Off of My Cloud
Like a Rolling Stone
You Can't Always Get What You Want
You Got the Silver
Before They Make Me Run
Sympathy for the Devil
Miss You
Midnight Rambler
Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Women
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Brown Sugar

Encores:
Gimme Shelter*
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

*Sasha Allen sang Merry Clayton's part for this but as her mike kept cutting out, it was a disappointing version of a great song.

We last saw them 15 years ago at Twickenham and yes, age has started to weary them considerably. Wood and Richards looked like they'd been inefficiently embalmed but Watts (just had his 77th birthday) was bloody great. Jagger's vocals and physical eccentricities were up to standard, though. Darryl Jones on bass guitar was pretty anonymous and his solo was weak, I'm afraid.

Pretty good though it was, we won't be paying £220+ for 2 seats high in the stands to see these particular geriatric millionaires again.

(Phone pictures)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:55:29 AM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #538 on: June 16, 2018, 02:52:13 PM »

Your photo of Keith Richards sums him up perfectly Andy. I really do think it's time to pension him off. Mr Jagger on the other hand carries it all along from the front, with Charlie Watts holding court at the rear. I last saw them 30 years ago - I was going to the gig that was cancelled, referred to by Mick, and went to the replacement.

I'm glad I went but I wouldn't have paid £200+ to see them.

Poor sound for support acts seems to be the norm these days  Sad and   Angry

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #539 on: June 16, 2018, 04:02:33 PM »

Poor sound for support acts seems to be the norm these days  Sad and   Angry

It always was. Many and various are the tales of support acts having their sound nobbled by the headliners over the years.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: