TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:31:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803398 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #480 on: May 16, 2018, 01:04:34 PM »

Mary Chapin Carpenter last night at The Barbican London was absolutely superb despite an idiot yelling out demanding to know if she was ‘pro-Trump’ which she elegantly sidestepped. The concert was nicely balanced with 17 songs over 90 minutes sung in her wonderful smoky voice. A must see!

Stepping back in to these murky waters briefly to address this. She was wonderful in Worthing on Saturday too and I have been listening to little else since her show. Ethan Johns (son of Glyn) was also very good in support.

Re the Trump taunt. To quote an interview with MCC in the Independent last year,

"He’s mentally unbalanced, a sexual predator, racist, misogynist, a narcissist, a demagogue, he’s a frightening person,” asserts Mary Chapin Carpenter about America’s new “freak show” President, Donald Trump. And the musician is firmly of the belief that the fight back, particularly among the artistic community, starts here: “What I believe in my heart of hearts is that Trump has underestimated people’s ability to overcome this ugliness and behaviour. People will overcome that."

So no need to side step. A simple "No" would probably have sufficed and the interrogator is indeed an idiot.  Grin

To explain, when I said “sidestepped”, she said that she was wearing ear monitors and together with the acoustics in the hall, claimed that by the time the shout reached her ears she could only hear a garbled noise. I thought she handled it well. Unfortunately the loud mouth then attempted to ask the question again and was shouted down by the people seated near him. I thought it was totally unnecessary and obtrusive and it temporarily upset the ambience of the concert. Needless to say MCC was very quickly back on track and continued to delight us devotees.

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #481 on: May 17, 2018, 10:04:44 AM »

Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) at The 1865 in Southampton last night, an Italian progressive rock band dating from the '70s. Didn't listen to any of their music beforehand, so went in with no pre-conceptions. Absolutely mind-blowing in a prog-tastic way - elements of Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Genesis, etc. (insert favourite prog band here) with lyrics in both English and Italian. Am now going to catch up and listen to their back catalogue.

It was definitely a case of : go and see that band you've never heard of, take a chance, they might be brilliant...
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #482 on: May 17, 2018, 10:16:45 AM »

I used to half-love them back in those, as you say, progtastic days - totally weird accents let the vocals down a bit and they occasionally got carried away up their own bottoms (but didn't all the prog bands in those days?), but some stand-out stuff. Might go and look for those vinyls and have a wallow...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #483 on: May 17, 2018, 10:58:17 AM »

It was definitely a case of : go and see that band you've never heard of, take a chance, they might be brilliant...

Splendid! I was reading a good piece on them in this month’s Classic Rock magazine only this week.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #484 on: May 17, 2018, 12:26:28 PM »

I used to half-love them back in those, as you say, progtastic days - totally weird accents let the vocals down a bit and they occasionally got carried away up their own bottoms (but didn't all the prog bands in those days?), but some stand-out stuff. Might go and look for those vinyls and have a wallow...
Just checked them out on YouTube. I'm struggling with the accents, but some of the music is right up my street! È Festa is joyful  Cheesy I could easily imagine a bill with these and Hocus Pocus....  Cool Grazia!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #485 on: May 19, 2018, 11:10:52 PM »

Just back from seeing Eddi Reader at the Lancaster Grand on the final night of her current tour. It was the first time I'd seen her apart from an appearance at the Brampton Festival quite a few years ago. She played the hits including 'Perfect' and 'Patience of Angels' along with a few Burns' songs and some numbers from her forthcoming album. Quite a few empty seats in the theatre but her gig was rather overshadowed by a festival elsewhere in the town, though that was aimed at a younger\different crowd.

Her backing band included Boo Hewerdine who I think has been with her for a while now and the guitarist from support singer Siobhan Miller's group did a double shift playing with Eddi too. Well worth going to see. She's a hellava good singer is Ms Reader and lots of entertaining chat between songs. She said she'll be touring again in the autumn.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #486 on: May 20, 2018, 03:17:26 PM »

The Rutles in Godalming last night.

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #487 on: May 20, 2018, 04:29:33 PM »

Who is currently in the band?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #488 on: May 20, 2018, 07:20:14 PM »

Neil Innes - Vocals, Guitars, Keyboards, John Halsey - Vocals & Drums, "Rutling" Ken Thornton - Vocals & lead guitar, Phil Jackson - Vocals & Keyboards, Jay Goodrich - Vocals & Bass
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #489 on: May 21, 2018, 07:02:08 PM »

Neil Innes - Vocals, Guitars, Keyboards, John Halsey - Vocals & Drums, "Rutling" Ken Thornton - Vocals & lead guitar, Phil Jackson - Vocals & Keyboards, Jay Goodrich - Vocals & Bass

Thanks

Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #490 on: May 21, 2018, 07:50:06 PM »

Thanks

They were excellent. All the best bits from the first album plus later stuff from Archaeology. Also, they did a lovely version of George Harrison's All Things Must Pass and played a note perfect The End (from Ringo's drum solo on) at the end of Get Up and Go.

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #491 on: May 23, 2018, 04:45:22 PM »

David Crosby, last night, at the 100+ year-old historic Paramount Theater.  Here's the set list:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-crosby/2018/paramount-theatre-austin-tx-4bedc7b2.html

Note the duet with Shawn Colvin on Joni Mitchell's "Amelia," which was wonderful.

Shawn also popped up to sing with Emmylou Sunday night at the same venue.  My wife suggested that Shawn never left the theater.  I think she may live under the stage.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #492 on: May 23, 2018, 09:53:48 PM »

Anyone get to see the Nick Mason Saucerful of Secrets shows at Dingwalls? I found this setlist posted elsewhere:

Interstellar Overdrive
Astronomy Domine
Lucifer Sam
Fearless
Obscured by Clouds
When You're In
Arnold Layne
The Nile Song
Green Is the Colour
Let There Be More Light
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
See Emily Play
Bike
One of These Days
A Saucerful of Secrets
Point Me at the Sky

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #493 on: May 23, 2018, 09:55:35 PM »

Anyone get to see the Nick Mason Saucerful of Secrets shows at Dingwalls? I found this setlist posted elsewhere:

Interstellar Overdrive
Astronomy Domine
Lucifer Sam
Fearless
Obscured by Clouds
When You're In
Arnold Layne
The Nile Song
Green Is the Colour
Let There Be More Light
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
See Emily Play
Bike
One of These Days
A Saucerful of Secrets
Point Me at the Sky

I glanced at some Youtube video, and I was very pleased to see NM playing the drums, by himself. My Pink Floyd experience dates to 1987 and thereafter, when he always had a second drummer in tow.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #494 on: May 25, 2018, 05:07:16 AM »

I just got back...literally fifteen minutes ago....from the gig on the 23rd...two days ago!...same set list....a couple of minor cock ups...but not bad, not bad at all.  

There was a guy in the audience who shouted out, 'Nick Mason - Legend ! I've got a Pink Floyd room ! I wish my dad was 'ere !'
The last part of which inspired Guy Pratt to reply, ' Roger ? Is that you ?.'
Much guffawing ensued.

Well I never did..
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #495 on: May 25, 2018, 07:44:41 AM »

Cheers Mike! Glad you enjoyed it. Did you walk home?  Shocked Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #496 on: May 25, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »

Not a gig as such, but a stage production of Charles Dickens’ “Great Expectations” at the Theatre Royal in Portsmouth.
The reason I am posting here is because the music for the production was composed and performed by Ollie King of this parish.
Ollie was on stage throughout playing a variety of squeeze boxes, fiddles and whistles.
All in all an excellent production which successfully managed to translate an extremely long novel into a two and a half hour play with just 9 performers.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #497 on: May 25, 2018, 10:16:25 AM »

Fairport at the Acapella Studio, Pentyrch, near Cardiff. Great night, the band were on good form and it was nice to hear a few numbers not heard in a while. Unfortunately both 'S***mer by the Ch****ll' and the Bus song were included, but that was a minor gripe. Instead of going off stage at the end, they 'hid' behind their instruments after 'Matty Groves' and waited a minute or so before doing 'Ledge'. Well, I thought it was funny! I bought the 'What We Did on Our Saturday' CD and it's every bit as good as people have been saying.

This was the second time I've been to this quirky little venue - the first time I managed to get a decent seat downstairs, but this time I was upstairs - good view of the stage, but as a converted chapel it still has hard wooden pews for seats - note to self 'next time bring a cushion!'

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #498 on: May 25, 2018, 10:25:07 AM »

Fairport at the Acapella Studio, Pentyrch, near Cardiff.

This was the second time I've been to this quirky little venue - the first time I managed to get a decent seat downstairs, but this time I was upstairs - good view of the stage, but as a converted chapel it still has hard wooden pews for seats - note to self 'next time bring a cushion!'

Similar to the Union Chapel in Islington. Seen Fairport there several times - lovely venue with great acoustics but the pews are very hard and I always forget to bring any padding!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #499 on: May 25, 2018, 10:26:26 AM »

I just got back...literally fifteen minutes ago....from the gig on the 23rd...two days ago!...same set list....a couple of minor cock ups...but not bad, not bad at all.  

There was a guy in the audience who shouted out, 'Nick Mason - Legend ! I've got a Pink Floyd room ! I wish my dad was 'ere !'
The last part of which inspired Guy Pratt to reply, ' Roger ? Is that you ?.'
Much guffawing ensued.

Grin Grin Grin

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: