TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:57:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803349 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #440 on: April 19, 2018, 04:25:41 PM »

Guitar slinger Jackie Venson last night at Rockwood Music Hall. I came across Jackie in the fall of last year and quickly became a fan. Finally last night I was able to see her. She is a soulful singer with tasty grooves, and killer guitar shredding. I was so looking forward to hearing her 'sound' come out of that Fender. From the first note she played I was in heaven. She's also a very down to earth person thankful and appreciative of her fans. She has a special FB page called the JV Squad with a custom t-shirt design. When she saw me come in wearing it she was really happy and gave me a big hug. Honestly, it is interactions like that which make me think other than festivals, I don't know if I ever want to go to large arena gig ever again. Moments like that prove it to me.

Very cool! I got to see her in 2016 at the ATX Benefit concert at ACL Live, headlined by the Doobie Brothers, but featuring numerous Austin-based artists including Jackie.  She's an incredible talent and it's nice to hear she's also a nice person!
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #441 on: April 19, 2018, 04:57:11 PM »

Definitely an up and coming talent. Every week seems to bring more recognition and honors. She's a contender for NPR's Tiny Desk concert and just announced a headline spot at Gruene Hall this summer. Totally cool person  Smiley

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #442 on: April 20, 2018, 10:57:57 AM »

Michael Chapman last night on the opening night of his current tour at the Platform in Morecambe. There was a reasonable number of people there and he played two sets with no support act. I've got Caddo Lake going round my head this morning and he played a good mix of old and new songs and instrumentals. Shuffleboat River Farewell sounded particularly good.

We had a chat with him before the start and I asked if the cello player who accompanied him on his Radio 2 session was with him but no, it's just himself with a couple of guitars. He seemed a bit unimpressed with his experience at the BBC studios in Salford commenting on how there seemed to be lots of people there who didn't seem to be doing very much. Personally I found Mark Radcliffe's interview a bit strained somehow - he was laughing rather too enthusiastically at everything Michael said though the story about the bear getting drunk was quite amusing.

But back to the tour, he has some vinyl copies of his latest release with him if you fancy buying an LP and he said that tonight's gig is sold out. 75 and still going strong.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #443 on: April 20, 2018, 12:21:00 PM »

Michael Chapman last night on the opening night of his current tour at the Platform in Morecambe. There was a reasonable number of people there and he played two sets with no support act. I've got Caddo Lake going round my head this morning and he played a good mix of old and new songs and instrumentals. Shuffleboat River Farewell sounded particularly good.

We had a chat with him before the start and I asked if the cello player who accompanied him on his Radio 2 session was with him but no, it's just himself with a couple of guitars. He seemed a bit unimpressed with his experience at the BBC studios in Salford commenting on how there seemed to be lots of people there who didn't seem to be doing very much. Personally I found Mark Radcliffe's interview a bit strained somehow - he was laughing rather too enthusiastically at everything Michael said though the story about the bear getting drunk was quite amusing.

But back to the tour, he has some vinyl copies of his latest release with him if you fancy buying an LP and he said that tonight's gig is sold out. 75 and still going strong.

I heard the Radio 2 session. I thought the music was wonderful and I'd love to see him if he's ever round my way

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #444 on: April 20, 2018, 05:12:26 PM »

Comedian Tig Notaro with Andy Kindler, last night, Paramount Theater, as part of the Moontower Comedy Festival!

I don't know how well known she is outside the U.S., but she is very funny and has a distinct point of view. Extra points for a story about getting up on stage at a charity function, right after Pink, and "singing" an Adele song with Adele in the audience.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #445 on: April 23, 2018, 05:38:09 PM »

Michael Chapman at The Deaf Institute, Manchester last night. A very disappointing crowd of just under fifty, a fraction of the number that turned out for his last Manchester gig at the Band on the Wall around a year ago. It also didn't help that the majority headed for the seating at the back of the room, leaving the floor area a big empty space with just a handful of us standing at the front. Good gig all the same, no great surprises, more or less the same set he's been doing over the past few years but always a joy to watch.  
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #446 on: April 24, 2018, 04:15:12 PM »

I wish promoters would realise that the audience for someone of Michael's age aren't likely to include many young of age, thus will likely want to sit down.....total fault of the promoter if they book acts into predominately standing spaces!

Feast of Fiddles last night. Need to think about that new format where the solo spots have all turned into ensemble pieces. I for one used to enjoy the contrast which is now missed by me, and thus I don't think I enjoyed in nearly as much as previously. Was worth going though, and Peter Knight fully deserved the loudest/longest applause of the night for his solo (ensembled) piece.

Now onto Catrin Finch & Seckou on Friday and Mr Knight again with his Big Band on Sunday.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #447 on: April 25, 2018, 08:48:02 AM »

Michael Chapman at The Deaf Institute, Manchester last night. A very disappointing crowd of just under fifty, a fraction of the number that turned out for his last Manchester gig at the Band on the Wall around a year ago. It also didn't help that the majority headed for the seating at the back of the room, leaving the floor area a big empty space with just a handful of us standing at the front. Good gig all the same, no great surprises, more or less the same set he's been doing over the past few years but always a joy to watch.  

A year ago he was in all the music monthlies with the promotion of his anniversary album.... Whenever I've seen MC in the last few years its generally been to a small but enthusiastic audience in a small venue.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #448 on: April 25, 2018, 09:07:25 AM »

Visited an unassuming little pub called the Hare & Hounds in Worthing on Saturday and was surprised to learn that Dave Mattacks had played there as part of a jazz trio on 3rd April.

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #449 on: April 25, 2018, 09:18:44 AM »

Just before the Feast of Fiddles tour started....

On his website too....not just any old trio either.

w' John Donaldson [pno] , Andy Cleyndert [bass] , Andy Panayi [sax]

When
Tue 3 Apr 2018 20:00 – 23:00 Eastern Time

Where
"The Hare & Hounds", Portland Road, Worthing, UK  (map)

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #450 on: April 25, 2018, 09:19:15 PM »

John "Fake Thackray" Watterson at Glais Folk Club last Friday.

Enjoyable and amusing, his interpretation of Jake Thackray's songs had everyone falling about. His guitar work is extraordinary.

[attachment deleted by admin]

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #451 on: April 26, 2018, 08:21:49 AM »

John "Fake Thackray" Watterson at Glais Folk Club last Friday.

Enjoyable and amusing, his interpretation of Jake Thackray's songs had everyone falling about. His guitar work is extraordinary.
Yeah but he does go on again, on again, on again, on again.....

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #452 on: April 26, 2018, 10:29:03 PM »

Very pleasant evening with Maddy Prior, Giles Levin and Hannah James tonight. Learnt lots of natural history as well. Hares don't live in burrows like bunnies, they lie on the ground looking like a cow pat. They will get up and run away if you tread on them though.

Paul

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #453 on: April 27, 2018, 05:09:42 AM »

Twin folk guitarist bill tonight at 2nd Presbyterian Church in Manhattan with John Doyle and Martin Carthy. I have seen John Doyle before, and Martin several times in various incarnations. Doyle is a fabulous player, full of rhythmic hooks with subtle fills. He's also a decent singer too. The two are out for a series of dates together and Doyle is clearly pleased to be there. He made a joke about listening to Martin since a child while other kids were listening to Led Zeppelin. I can relate because Martin was wonderful. Yes, he is older, and there were some flubs, but the music was so honest and true. He played a number of songs I have never heard performed before which was a treat.  At the end John Doyle joined Martin for a few songs which was a real treat. A great evening.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #454 on: April 27, 2018, 11:10:54 PM »

A wonderful intimate gig by Ange Hardy at the atmospheric Leicester Guildhall . She just pulls you in to her songs.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #455 on: April 28, 2018, 10:41:51 PM »

An evening with Marrakesh Express singing the songs of CSN&Y and their associated acts. Three very talented musicians singing beautiful harmonies in the stunning setting of St Donat’s Arts Centre Tythe Barn.
A very pleasant and relaxing evening, now if only the two woman behind me and the two woman next to me would SHUT UP when the act is on!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #456 on: April 29, 2018, 10:24:12 AM »

Merry Hell at the Old Courts in Wigan last night,  excellent and a new venue for us.  Really good, very small venue,  be interesting to see Fairport there in a couple of weeks time.  

What I really want to say though is how good the support was,  especially The Trials of Cato.  if you enjoyed the Pierce Brothers , check these boys out.  Wish they'd played longer.

and the stars look very different today
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #457 on: April 29, 2018, 11:15:13 PM »

Just got back from seeing Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman at Barry Island Social Club. The support act, Sunjay, was just a lad and a guitar, some lovely songs and some silly jokes. Well worth watching.  Sean and Kathryn were once again at their immaculate best. Kathryn really does have an amazing voice. We were even treated to a lovely version of Sandy Denny's 'Solo', which they have recorded for their latest CD. A great night, spent in the company of Andy (Ancient Muse) and husband Phil.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
William

« Reply #458 on: April 30, 2018, 10:48:11 AM »

Brooks Williams at The Blue Boar Maldon last night. Got off to a very promising start - The beer was called "Born to be Mild", very nice pint. Up the winding wooden staircase to the venue. Old wooden beams, lovely friendly atmosphere, full house of about 80 seated. I've seen BW  elsewhere before, and although he is always good, this was the best that I have seen him. The beer and the intimate surroundings probably helped but this was my best night out for quite a while.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #459 on: May 01, 2018, 05:24:14 PM »

Denny Laine, Poor David's Pub, Dallas, Texas, Saturday, April 28, 2018! Denny performed a mix of Moody Blues tunes, more recent originals, and a healthy dose of Wings to fire up the place. He was ably supported by The Cryers, featuring Wings drummer Steve Holley, who is clearly the secret weapon in the mix.  Good-sized crowd, although there were too many empty seats in the back row.  I know he's not a household name, but he deserves to be.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: