TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:57:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803436 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #420 on: April 13, 2018, 10:25:30 PM »

House Concert @ the Copper Family's abode with them & Shirley Collins - a benefit for the relaunchrd FRoots mag. Many great & good present - Linda Thompson, looking extremely well & 8"in excellent form & Joe Boyd included. The most expensive folk club I've ever attended - but definitely in a good cause.

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #421 on: April 13, 2018, 11:38:13 PM »

Spill the beans how much?
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #422 on: April 15, 2018, 09:02:00 AM »

Minimum of £50/a head.....actually was worth the money too.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #423 on: April 15, 2018, 11:28:56 PM »

The Cavern Beatles. Absolutely splendid, and felt like a real band playing together rather than a touring franchise. One surprise in the set - Oh Darling - but otherwise good, solid Fabness throughout, and all four of them looked and, more importantly, sounded the part. Excellent onstage intros with just the right amount of nods and winks (and rattling of jewellery) to the originals. One of the most interesting bits was watching an excellent, faithful reproduction of just how good a drummer Ringo was. Also, at least two of them are genuine Scousers, which helped with the accents.  Smiley

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #424 on: April 16, 2018, 08:00:47 AM »

The Cavern Beatles. Absolutely splendid, and felt like a real band playing together rather than a touring franchise. One surprise in the set - Oh Darling - but otherwise good, solid Fabness throughout, and all four of them looked and, more importantly, sounded the part. Excellent onstage intros with just the right amount of nods and winks (and rattling of jewellery) to the originals. One of the most interesting bits was watching an excellent, faithful reproduction of just how good a drummer Ringo was. Also, at least two of them are genuine Scousers, which helped with the accents.  Smiley

Has to have been better than The Bootleg Beatles which were one of the worst headline acts I’ve ever seen at  IMHO

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #425 on: April 16, 2018, 09:38:16 AM »

Has to have been better than The Bootleg Beatles which were one of the worst headline acts I’ve ever seen at  IMHO

Indeed! They used to be good when they first started Undecided

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #426 on: April 16, 2018, 09:42:18 AM »

They've headlined twice haven't they?  1990...and a couple of years ago?  Is this the last one people are complaining about?  I seem to remember they got pretty great feedback from the 1990 one (it was the only festival I missed 1987-2000).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #427 on: April 16, 2018, 10:15:28 AM »

They've headlined twice haven't they?  1990...and a couple of years ago?  Is this the last one people are complaining about?  I seem to remember they got pretty great feedback from the 1990 one (it was the only festival I missed 1987-2000).

Yeah I’m talking about the last one. After the joy of Steeleye Span, The Bootlegs were just dire and we left early...just my opinion of course. I know some people loved them

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #428 on: April 16, 2018, 10:22:01 AM »

Yeah I’m talking about the last one. After the joy of Steeleye Span, The Bootlegs were just dire and we left early...just my opinion of course. I know some people loved them
I thought they were a poor cabaret band Sad  

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #429 on: April 16, 2018, 10:25:44 AM »

None of the current BB have been members before 2011. The band that performed in 1990 no longer exists.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #430 on: April 16, 2018, 10:34:14 AM »

None of the current BB have been members before 2011. The band that performed in 1990 no longer exists.

Explains a lot

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #431 on: April 16, 2018, 10:50:34 AM »

Explains a lot

See: Floyd, Australian Pink

It's all bollox.  These aren't bands, they are brands.  Just say no.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #432 on: April 16, 2018, 11:03:56 AM »

Explains a lot

See: Floyd, Australian Pink

It's all bollox.  These aren't bands, they are brands.  Just say no.
Slightly different. TAPFS have two members from 1988, one, 1993 and one, 1998. They do have members that joined later, too.

BB are different in that there are no "original" members left and haven't been for some time.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #433 on: April 16, 2018, 01:33:44 PM »

And AussiePF are very good (IMHO) Smiley Smiley

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #434 on: April 16, 2018, 05:05:13 PM »

Andy Powell's Wishbone Ash, last night, One World Theater, Austin!

Wonderful mix of new stuff and classics - I missed "Time Was," but the other key stuff from Argus was in there.

Shout out to new guitarist Mark Abrahams - he was remarkable.  I had a front row seat, so I got to see him play those songs like he's been playing them his whole life.  His style actually reminded me somewhat of Eric Johnson.

They came out to sign autographs afterward, and I got Andy to sign my Argus Deluxe CD booklet!
William

« Reply #435 on: April 17, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »

Talisk the other night - boy, you can see why Mohsin Amini won Musician of the Year! Cracking gig, although a tad short 30mins! in the first set. I suspect his fingers were seizing up, the speed he covers those buttons.

Gig ran 2 hours with an extended break (caught the bar unawares at the end of the first set, so interval drinks hadn't been started), but recommended. regardless.

I saw them in Colchester last night. All played at incredible speed. Must be physically exhausting. Little wonder that Moshin Amini appeared to be doing stretching exercises between numbers. They could not have given more.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #436 on: April 17, 2018, 10:32:36 AM »

I enjoyed Kris Drever last night at Nettlebed, although not being that familiar with his repertoire it was a little frustrating when he didn't introduce many of the songs.  In fact, he was one of the quieter artists I have seen, in terms of talking between numbers, engaging with the audience.  But sitting in the second row, I had a very good view of all he was doing with his guitar, which was amazing to me, as a non-player!  Rounded off with an encore of Ghosts, which is a song that seems to have an extra level of relevance with the current news about the way the 'Windrush generation' have been treated:
I'm not an incomer.
My parents were ghosts.
Sir I was born here.
So where would I go?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
garrypbrooks

« Reply #437 on: April 19, 2018, 11:44:34 AM »

Saw the Kast Off Links at East Grimstead last week. Bloody magic!!!☺️☺️☺️

Started 7:30 ended 9:40. Not sure whether this was out of consideration for thehe audience or the band
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #438 on: April 19, 2018, 01:32:15 PM »

Saw the Kast Off Links at East Grimstead last week. Bloody magic!!!☺️☺️☺️

Started 7:30 ended 9:40. Not sure whether this was out of consideration for thehe audience or the band

Think you mean Kast Off Kinks otherwise someone throwing away their shirt cuff fasteners doesn’t sound that enthralling  Grin. But agree - saw them in March and they still rock!

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #439 on: April 19, 2018, 02:58:03 PM »

Guitar slinger Jackie Venson last night at Rockwood Music Hall. I came across Jackie in the fall of last year and quickly became a fan. Finally last night I was able to see her. She is a soulful singer with tasty grooves, and killer guitar shredding. I was so looking forward to hearing her 'sound' come out of that Fender. From the first note she played I was in heaven. She's also a very down to earth person thankful and appreciative of her fans. She has a special FB page called the JV Squad with a custom t-shirt design. When she saw me come in wearing it she was really happy and gave me a big hug. Honestly, it is interactions like that which make me think other than festivals, I don't know if I ever want to go to large arena gig ever again. Moments like that prove it to me.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: