TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:57:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803552 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #400 on: March 28, 2018, 11:52:25 AM »

The Young ‘Uns performing The Ballad of Johnny Longstaff at Maldon Town Hall, Essex. An absolutely outstanding performance. Anyone with the slightest interest in history (most notably 1930’s Britain and the often forgotten Spanish Civil War in this case) should go and experience this amazing trio bring the story of Johnny Longstaff to life. It also features actual recordings and pictures of Johnny Longstaff himself.

Saw this in Birmingham last night - what an absolutely superb evening. Well research social history, using recordings on Johnny Longstaff telling his own story, interspersed with well written songs & great harmonies. My gig of the year so far,and by quite a big margin too. GO SEE.

CD/LP due in the autumn with hopefully a launch tour too.

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #401 on: April 03, 2018, 05:11:58 PM »

Toto at the Royal Albert Hall, Sunday evening...I'm short of superlatives*...no band should be allowed to be that good !

And what a setlist, delving into most of their 40-year career :

Alone
Hold the Line
Lovers in the Night
Spanish Sea
I Will Remember
English Eyes
Jake to the Bone
Lea
Rosanna

Acoustic Storytellers section :

Miss Sun
Georgy Porgy
Human Nature
Holyanna
No Love
Mushanga
Stop Loving You

Girl Goodbye
Angela
Lion
Dune (Desert Theme)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Make Believe
Africa

Encore
The Road Goes On

* an exaggeration, but only slight  Wink
Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #402 on: April 04, 2018, 08:59:38 AM »

Jethro Tull 50th Anniversary Tour last night at Manchester Apollo.

Interestingly, there were on-stage video contributions from Mick Abrahams and Tony Iommi as Ian Anderson talked warmly about both their time in the band. Martin Barre didn't even get a mention.

Good set list that spanned the years, except there was nothing post Crest of a Knave.

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #403 on: April 04, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »

Martin Barre didn't even get a mention.

Well that's just sad.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #404 on: April 04, 2018, 01:43:36 PM »

Well that's just sad.

Report from my friend, who last saw them in 1973, said he enjoyed it, but Ian's voice was such a travesty that artistically it was hard to make a very strong case for it being top notch.  Decent song selection though.

I think it's really sad too.  Barre was an integral member of the band, and all the evidence I've seen suggests that the two of them had an agreement not to go out as Tull without the other.  That agreement has been clearly breached now.  Then again, it is hard to suggest the band is anything but Ian's.  I dunno.  He's always sounded ruthless and a bit of a (insert favourite swear word of choice)...I've felt this ever since I saw him on tv talking about his fish farming in the late 70's.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #405 on: April 05, 2018, 06:06:53 PM »

Sun Ra Arkestra at Brum Town Hall last night; fairly sparsely attended. Amazing energy from the band, particularly Marshall Allen, whose onstage demeanour reminded of his namesake Daevid.  Indeed, there were a few musical passages that were rather Gong-ish! Some "straight" big band jazz, some purposefully dissonant sections, and a great 12-bar blues to showcase each member in turn. Pleased I'd had the experience, not sure I'd rush to see them again, though.

Flobbadob!
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #406 on: April 07, 2018, 03:00:16 PM »

Well that's just sad.

Report from my friend, who last saw them in 1973, said he enjoyed it, but Ian's voice was such a travesty that artistically it was hard to make a very strong case for it being top notch.  Decent song selection though.

I think it's really sad too.  Barre was an integral member of the band, and all the evidence I've seen suggests that the two of them had an agreement not to go out as Tull without the other.  That agreement has been clearly breached now.  Then again, it is hard to suggest the band is anything but Ian's.  I dunno.  He's always sounded ruthless and a bit of a (insert favourite swear word of choice)...I've felt this ever since I saw him on tv talking about his fish farming in the late 70's.

I went recently to ‘An Evening With Ian Anderson’. It was the recording of a Word podcast at a pub in London, hosted by Ellen and Hepworth. The start time was advertised as 7.15. I got there early, at 6.55, to find it well under way. They were going through things chronologically and had just reached the early days of Tull when Hepworth or Ellen said ‘well, we’d better move on’, scrolled through a load of accompanying slides, and went straight from Stand Up to fish farming with no mention of anything in between – other than to ask Anderson what he thought was Tull’s worst album. Then it was all over, before 8.00, and I was out on the street. Why? Well, Anderson was kind enough to thank us all for coming and hoped we didn’t mind the truncated evening but he wanted to catch an early train home as he doesn’t like late nights, being more of a morning person. So, yeah, I can think of a few choice swear words...

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #407 on: April 07, 2018, 11:02:56 PM »

A recommendation for anyone who can catch the rest of the tour, the Rachel Newton band were brilliant at the coronation hall ulverston. Yes she has a pure faultless vocal, she is a brilliant harpist and there are Gaelic songs, but anyone expecting a Scottish easy listening clannad would be in for a pleasant surprise. A really great range of songs and instrumentals which were all great arrangements and the sound was great. Great percussion, harp, keyboard a brilliant Lauren MacColl on fiddle and a brilliant brass player who had trombone, flugelhorn and sousaphone. I think the talent in the furrow collective are some of the most innovative and interesting musicians in folk at the moment each doing surprising things. If anyone can get to Rachel's bands gig at London go you won't be disappointed great band

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #408 on: April 08, 2018, 12:45:49 AM »

"Break For The Border" with home crowds for Oysterband at the "Titley O2" in deepest Herefordshire. A brace of excellent shows, each night of two sets in front of enthusiastic, partisan audiences in an intimate village hall. Great sound, varied sets & everyone having a jolly good time. Beautiful unplugged promenade singalong encores (both nights) made them a perfect birthday treat for this happy camper.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #409 on: April 08, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »

"Break For The Border" with home crowds for Oysterband at the "Titley O2" in deepest Herefordshire. A brace of excellent shows, each night of two sets in front of enthusiastic, partisan audiences in an intimate village hall. Great sound, varied sets & everyone having a jolly good time. Beautiful unplugged promenade singalong encores (both nights) made them a perfect birthday treat for this happy camper.  Smiley

We were there for both nights, they were such great shows, only 4 songs repeated. They really rocked. So good to be surrounded by friends and other enthusiastic fans.

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #410 on: April 09, 2018, 06:49:29 PM »

Really looking forward to The Oysters in August,  never less than brilliant.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #411 on: April 10, 2018, 11:00:39 AM »

Norma Winstone singing with the excellent guitar playing of Ralph Towner, the other night.
vince42

« Reply #412 on: April 12, 2018, 10:07:14 PM »

Martin Barre Band at the ABC in Glasgow,

Cracking gig a little marred by a disappointing turnout but it was my birthday so wasn't caring much.  He's still up there in my list of fave guitarists and has some great musicians backing him as well.  It's been about 30 years since I saw him with Tull on the Crest of a Knave tour - annoyingly missing Fairport who were supporting them on the other gigs but didnt do the Edinburgh one.

Re other recent comments  - seen various Ian Anderson vehicles doing various Tullish things and he is musically interesting but just doesn't rock without Martin.

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #413 on: April 12, 2018, 11:11:53 PM »

Splendid, if woefully poorly attended gig with Keith Christmas tonight (not untypical for Hereford), in the company of a couple of Sproatlys & a dormant Talkawhiler. KC as entertaining as always, great material & excellent playing, especially on slide. Sobering to think it's almost 50 years since I first saw him at my school folk club.  Smiley

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #414 on: April 13, 2018, 09:52:58 AM »

Talisk the other night - boy, you can see why Mohsin Amini won Musician of the Year! Cracking gig, although a tad short 30mins! in the first set. I suspect his fingers were seizing up, the speed he covers those buttons.

Gig ran 2 hours with an extended break (caught the bar unawares at the end of the first set, so interval drinks hadn't been started), but recommended. regardless.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #415 on: April 13, 2018, 10:51:38 AM »

Splendid, if woefully poorly attended gig with Keith Christmas tonight (not untypical for Hereford), in the company of a couple of Sproatlys & a dormant Talkawhiler. KC as entertaining as always, great material & excellent playing, especially on slide. Sobering to think it's almost 50 years since I first saw him at my school folk club.  Smiley

Did you get to see any of the gigs last week - Trappist Afterland, Sproatlies et al?

I shudder to think what "woefully poorly attended" actually means in the flesh...  Sad

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #416 on: April 13, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »

Kris Drever last night on the opening night of his tour in Kendal. Good-sized crowd with just the back 2 or 3 rows empty. Unfortunately there were some problems with the sound, namely a loud buzzing coming from the PA. The sound tech tried to sort it but it turned out to be Mr D's fault. He was trying out a new way of mic-ing up his guitar and realised mid-way through the gig that he still needed to plug the guitar in as well as having his external mic. He laughed it off and I guess it was just one of those opening night gaffs but it did spoil the night somewhat.

On the plus side I thought his playing and singing were better than ever. I suppose I'm used to seeing him with other musicians but seeing him solo you realise what a good guitarist and singer he is. Highlights included the title track from his last album, If Wishes Were Horses along with Capernaum from that cd plus old favourites like Harvest Gypsies. Lots of chat between songs and he is sporting a bit of a hipster look these days with the haircut and trimmed beard.

Support was from Hannah Read who was worth getting there early to see. She plays electric guitar and sings and played a couple of fiddle tunes as well.

They're at Leeds tonight, then Bury and Sheffield.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #417 on: April 13, 2018, 07:52:18 PM »

Did you get to see any of the gigs last week - Trappist Afterland, Sproatlies et al?

I shudder to think what "woefully poorly attended" actually means in the flesh...  Sad

Sadly, nasty cold & work prevented getting to any of the Weirdshire events. Quality shows by all accounts.  Sad

Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #418 on: April 13, 2018, 07:57:47 PM »

Martin Barre Band at the ABC in Glasgow,

Cracking gig a little marred by a disappointing turnout but it was my birthday so wasn't caring much.  He's still up there in my list of fave guitarists and has some great musicians backing him as well.  It's been about 30 years since I saw him with Tull on the Crest of a Knave tour - annoyingly missing Fairport who were supporting them on the other gigs but didnt do the Edinburgh one.

Re other recent comments  - seen various Ian Anderson vehicles doing various Tullish things and he is musically interesting but just doesn't rock without Martin.

Did he do any Tull material? I would guess as it's Anderson's songs he would avoid. Great player but if it is all instrumental I would tire quickly unless it was special
vince42

« Reply #419 on: April 13, 2018, 08:04:09 PM »

Mainly Tull material - Dan Crisp was on vocals and guitar and did a good job.  A few tweaks to the arrangements, harmony guitars instead of guitar / flute that sort of thing.

You're absolutely right - all instrumental and I'd be having flashbacks to Ginger Baker solo tours...

A good night out IMHO.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: