TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:13:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803519 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #360 on: February 25, 2018, 04:40:15 PM »

Good to see Sunjay starting to headline arts centres - it's been a long time coming for him. He is an excellent musician who deserves this break in his career.

Sunjay will be supporting Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman in Barry Island Sports and Social Club at the end of April. Really looking forward to this one as I missed him last time he was in town.
I quite like Sunjay but not KR & SL (sorry!) so we're not going to that one. Shame, as I'm keen to support live music especially at local venues, but no point if they're not my bag!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #361 on: February 25, 2018, 05:03:38 PM »

Martin & Eliza C last night - excellent night - quite a history lesson as they gave us insight behind each song & the history surrounding each one. Filmed for a future DVD release.

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #362 on: February 26, 2018, 05:55:01 PM »

Dave Mason, One World Theater, Saturday night! He was absolutely fabulous, and I wish he had a larger audience. Highly recommended.

[attachment deleted by admin]
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #363 on: February 26, 2018, 08:54:48 PM »

Dave Mason, One World Theater, Saturday night! He was absolutely fabulous, and I wish he had a larger audience. Highly recommended.

If the American shows were priced similar to the UK ones it might explain the size of the audience.
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #364 on: February 26, 2018, 10:28:43 PM »

Excellent new band for me last night, The Orange Circus Band. A mixture of bluegrass, appalacian and old timey. Great stage presence and wonderful musicians that know how to have a good time.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #365 on: March 05, 2018, 06:47:41 PM »

A weekend two-fer:

Judy Collins, One World Theater, Saturday, March 5 - I went to the second of her two shows that evening, and her operatic voice was none the worse for wear. She's been on my bucket list for a long time, so I'm so pleased to have seen her at last.  She drops more names than Donovan and Petula Clark combined.  She introduced "Send in the Clowns" as "That Song."

J[ohn] D[avid] Souther, One World Theater, Sunday, March 6 - I finally got to see one of the great American songwriters, J. D. Souther! He sang a lot of wonderful new material, as well as his greatest hits performed by other artists (New Kid In Town, Heartache Tonight, Best of My Love, Faithless Love, Heart of the Matter).  I would have loved to have heard "Her Town Too," but you can't have everything.  He told a lot of very long and funny stories, including not wanting to split the "Heartache" royalties with Bob Seger, who wrote the chorus, because four songwriters "slice that dollar pretty thin."

He has an incredible voice, somewhere between Don Henley and Glenn Frey, as well as tremendous skill on the guitar.  He would have been a natural choice to augment the Eagles after Glenn's passing, but for whatever reason...
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #366 on: March 06, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »

A weekend two-fer:

Judy Collins, One World Theater, Saturday, March 5 - I went to the second of her two shows that evening, and her operatic voice was none the worse for wear. She's been on my bucket list for a long time, so I'm so pleased to have seen her at last.  She drops more names than Donovan and Petula Clark combined.  She introduced "Send in the Clowns" as "That Song."

J[ohn] D[avid] Souther, One World Theater, Sunday, March 6 - I finally got to see one of the great American songwriters, J. D. Souther! He sang a lot of wonderful new material, as well as his greatest hits performed by other artists (New Kid In Town, Heartache Tonight, Best of My Love, Faithless Love, Heart of the Matter).  I would have loved to have heard "Her Town Too," but you can't have everything.  He told a lot of very long and funny stories, including not wanting to split the "Heartache" royalties with Bob Seger, who wrote the chorus, because four songwriters "slice that dollar pretty thin."

He has an incredible voice, somewhere between Don Henley and Glenn Frey, as well as tremendous skill on the guitar.  He would have been a natural choice to augment the Eagles after Glenn's passing, but for whatever reason...
Would have enjoyed both of those!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #367 on: March 06, 2018, 01:00:36 PM »

Would recommend all of the JD Souther back catalogue.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #368 on: March 08, 2018, 09:45:18 AM »

I went to see David Hepworth do, essentially, a lecture-cum-synopsis of his two recent books. He’s a man who knows his own opinions and isn’t afraid to express them in no uncertain terms, but charming nontheless. One thing he mentioned that struck our party was that the History of Rock is increasingly, like that of the Second World War, being written by those who weren’t there.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #369 on: March 08, 2018, 09:50:08 AM »

I went to see David Hepworth do, essentially, a lecture-cum-synopsis of his two recent books. He’s a man who knows his own opinions and isn’t afraid to express them in no uncertain terms, but charming nontheless. One thing he mentioned that struck our party was that the History of Rock is increasingly, like that of the Second World War, being written by those who weren’t there.

Was this just an observation (clearly correct) or did it carry some value judgement with it as well?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #370 on: March 08, 2018, 10:09:14 AM »

Was this just an observation (clearly correct) or did it carry some value judgement with it as well?

It was part of his introduction, wherein he explained that he had won the rock lottery of life by being born in 1950, thereby being of a perfect age to observe everything since (“I was even still mobile, and able to feed myself, in 1976”) first hand. He had the air of a chap not being particularly impressed by - if you will - rockumentaries produced by “...young men who spend Friday nights in, watching BBC4”.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #371 on: March 08, 2018, 10:41:01 AM »

As an historian (in background at least) this is certainly interesting.  A first hand account of something can be absolutely fascinating.  However, "Histories" written by those who were there often aren't actually histories though, however much they think they are.  One generally needs distance.... "How can somebody tell me what happened, when they weren't there and I was?" is an interesting one - historiographically, and philosophically!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #372 on: March 08, 2018, 10:45:16 AM »

Phil Beer solo on Tuesday night. What a great musician and raconteur. I really enjoyed the mix of music too. Trad folk alongside covers of the Band, little feat and Steve Earle!   Grin Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #373 on: March 08, 2018, 11:20:33 AM »

As an historian (in background at least) this is certainly interesting.  A first hand account of something can be absolutely fascinating.  However, "Histories" written by those who were there often aren't actually histories though, however much they think they are.  One generally needs distance.... "How can somebody tell me what happened, when they weren't there and I was?" is an interesting one - historiographically, and philosophically!

One only needs to look back at the ‘Fairport on Fairport’ wars to know the truth of that...  Wink
Counter-intuitively, he described the explosion that kick-started ‘rock’ in great detail. One didn’t like to point out that, by his own admission, when Little Richard was recording ‘Tutti Frutti’ in New Orleans, he (Hepworth) was five years old and living in Yorkshire.
Equally though, take a straw poll on what Bob Geldof actually said when he swore live in front of the biggest television audience ever assembled. Then ask the guy he swore at.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #374 on: March 08, 2018, 11:23:32 AM »

Equally though, take a straw poll on what Bob Geldof actually said when he swore live in front of the biggest television audience ever assembled. Then ask the guy he swore at.

Grin

steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #375 on: March 09, 2018, 01:03:06 AM »

Peter Knight and John Spiers at Worcester. Truly awesome musicianship. If you can't catch them on the March tour, then treat yourself to the CD.
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #376 on: March 09, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »

Leveret and Spiro “Eccentric Orbits” at Cecil Sharp House yesterday. A really excellent evening with sets from both bands (Leveret then Spiro)  culminating in a joint encore. They were then dragged back for an unrehearsed encore and a standing ovation from a more or less full Kennedy Hall crowd. First time I have seen Spiro and definitely now on my “they would be good at Cropredy” list.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #377 on: March 09, 2018, 05:49:03 PM »

KT Bush Band at the Hertford Corn Exchange , including the guitarist & drummer from Kate's original band. Fantastic gig ... don't be put off by them being a "cover band". If you get the chance to see them ... just go !  Wink
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #378 on: March 09, 2018, 06:38:34 PM »

KT Bush Band at the Hertford Corn Exchange , including the guitarist & drummer from Kate's original band. Fantastic gig ... don't be put off by them being a "cover band". If you get the chance to see them ... just go !  Wink

They were very good a year or so ago at Farncombe Church.  I would certainly go see them play again.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #379 on: March 10, 2018, 12:20:18 PM »

Faustus and The Foxglove Trio last night at Ace Space, Newbury.

The Foxgloves started off with half an hour of their beautiful songs, and I'd have been happy with more of that, and then Faustus came on and gave us a bunch of their high energy songs and humour - Benji Kirkpatrick seemed to be totally hyper.  Saul Rose explained that they had three gigs cancelled last week because of the weather and so had a lot of pent-up energy!  We even had a world premičre of a new song, from a project they are working on, setting poems from the Lancashire Cotton famine to music.

An excellent evening, in a venue that's new to me, in a long hall in a back street, but thankfully I managed to find it OK, despite the rain and my unfamiliarity with Newbury.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: