TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:17:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803499 times)
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #340 on: February 02, 2018, 12:09:53 PM »

John Smith at The Sugarmill in Hanley last night. Without doubt the coldest gig I've ever been to, indoor or out, it was freezing. John was blowing into cupped hands between each song in a vain attempt to warm his hands and made several requests from the stage for someone to turn on the heating, but for whatever reason nothing was done. The audience were a pretty bizarre sight in coats, scarves, hats, gloves etc, exactly what they'd arrived in.

Puts me in mind of the time I saw RT play at St Mary's cathedral in Edinburgh in late December. The audience was all wrapped up in their coats, hats and gloves but himself played the gig in his usual black t-shirt. Maybe there was a heater on full blast where he was standing.

I'm probably going to see John Smith in Morecambe tomorrow. Hopefully the heating will be functioning at the Hothouse.

Really like the hothouse great little venue certainly get some interesting acts on.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #341 on: February 02, 2018, 12:18:49 PM »

Just for the record, the coldest gig ever was - without question - the Owl Service's final ever gig.  This one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8MimCZU-1s&list=PLgkLMlL-VFXtRTs4pBvgPWP0p3llMmI1M

Literally, unbearably cold.  Great, mind (although sadly, I couldn't stay for Plinth I was so freezing).  The Laphroaig I had on the way home is one of the nicest things ever to pass my lips  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #342 on: February 02, 2018, 03:09:11 PM »

I'm probably going to see John Smith in Morecambe tomorrow. Hopefully the heating will be functioning at the Hothouse.

We had that pencilled in as our son is at Lancaster Uni and a bit of a John Smith fan himself, but sadly circumstances have derailed that idea.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #343 on: February 03, 2018, 10:47:44 AM »

SWARB - It Suits Him Well last night at Nettlebed.  I'll put my comments behind a spoiler thing in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

good review exactly my take on the event but expressed far better than I could apart from the presence of invisible reggae

Thanks.  Yes, the supposed reggae influence evaded me.  And the mash-up of 'My Luve is Like A Red Red Rose' and 'No Woman No Cry' was not a success IMHO.

Saw this at Maldon Essex last night. Thought it was an interesting evening and largely agree with all the above although I did enjoy the No Woman/my love is like a red red rose mash up but the mauling of Matty Groves with the reggae thing was fairly woeful. We were also left pondering just how long the wonderful Martin Carthy can keep going?

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #344 on: February 03, 2018, 02:03:55 PM »

Seeing this tonight....

dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #345 on: February 04, 2018, 04:31:56 PM »

A great evening with Pete Atkin at the Pheasantry (a branch of Pizza Express).  This is one of his favourite venues and it is easy to see why.  The place has the atmosphere of a cocktail lounge, but with a quiet, appreciative audience and an efficient but silent staff.  As usual these days, Pete was accompanied by a pianist (the excellent Simon Wallace) while he played the guitar or just sang.  He seems to have recovered very well from his accident (he was knocked over by a bus a few years ago) and he performed a nice mix of material, both old and more recent.  There were plenty of jokes and reminiscences.  He is another artiste enjoying a golden anniversary – 50 years since he started his collaboration with Clive James  Rather like Fairport, some of the songs which they wrote when they were young men seem even more appropriate, now that they have reached old age.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #346 on: February 04, 2018, 07:07:38 PM »

Pete Atkin. A great favourite of ours. Are there any other dates or does he just do places he enjoys these days?
dog-nap (Ian)

« Reply #347 on: February 05, 2018, 02:58:29 AM »

One or two of these may be closer to you, Andie, but as you can see from the list he does not perform very often and, yes, he prefers playing in venues that he knows and likes.  I think this was the fourth time he had played at the Pheasantry in recent months and he made it very plain that he was hoping to be asked back again!
http://www.peteatkin.com/pa.htm

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 03:09:31 AM by dog-nap (Ian) » Logged
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2018, 09:52:44 AM »

The Swarb tribute in Hailsham on Saturday - agree with the comments above about the reggae-tinged tracks - Huh ok, Swarb might have played on several of Jason's numbers over the last couple of years of his life, but suely this was meant to be a whole-life tribute? Just too many.....

But otherwise, I thought it wa a good night....PeeWee Ellis has taken a tumble apparently & damaged his right arm along with obtaining a split ip or two, and so a sub was playing in his place - from Jason's website, it was his usual sax player - who was extremely good. But sax on Swarb numbers got me floored - since when?

Overall I'm glad I went - Jill S was in tears at the end, but seemed in good spirits earlier when I had a long chat with her. I'm not inclined to see Jason's band again though.

Martin C was on good form - third time in a month I've been at a gig that has involved him - NormaFest, Bright Phoebus and this Swarb tribute. And again in three weeks when he's out & about with Eliza.

Lots of good music in Januuary - The Transports again were superb in London, Bright Phoebus, and Teada & Blazin Fiddles 20th anniversary party and Duncan Chisolm's new work at Celtic Connections, Andy Irvine & Donul Lunny at Tradfest in Dublin along with Alan Stivell and a Julie Fowlis gig added up to busy month.....

Fairport tonight at a fundraiser for Cropredy school!

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #349 on: February 05, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »

Pete Atkin. A great favourite of ours. Are there any other dates or does he just do places he enjoys these days?

I've been a PA fan for almost as long as I've liked music, but never seen him live. I'd like there to be a new album, but am not  holding my breath.  Cool
Simon Withers

« Reply #350 on: February 06, 2018, 08:58:59 AM »

i went to Rock City on Sunday evening (Nottingham) to see The Damned…excellent music and an excellent band.
William

« Reply #351 on: February 06, 2018, 11:08:27 AM »

Really great night in Colchester last night. Sunjay supported by The Hardy Perennials.

HP are a four piece outfit from Chelmsford. Fiddle, Base, Recorder backing Guitar Vocalist. An excellent warm up for the main event.

Sunjay's set consisted of mainly Blues clasics with a few of his own songs. He is the most amazing young guitarist, performing seated with just one accustic instrument. He  somehow manages to fit references to Hermans Hermits and the Walker Brothers into an exciting performance. As an encore he put together an eleven minute Rock & Roll medley that sent all the Grey Head Baby Boomers home happy.

The down side was the poor turn out. probably due to the fact that he was unknown here and the reluctance of the potential audience to come out on a cold winters night. However Sunjay remained professional and gave the few of us who attended a musical treat. The up side is that I'll be able to say that I was one of the few that saw him the first time he came to Colchester. I'll make a point of looking out for him in the future.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #352 on: February 06, 2018, 11:19:31 AM »

Really great night in Colchester last night. Sunjay supported by The Hardy Perennials.

HP are a four piece outfit from Chelmsford. Fiddle, Base, Recorder backing Guitar Vocalist. An excellent warm up for the main event.

Sunjay's set consisted of mainly Blues clasics with a few of his own songs. He is the most amazing young guitarist, performing seated with just one accustic instrument. He  somehow manages to fit references to Hermans Hermits and the Walker Brothers into an exciting performance. As an encore he put together an eleven minute Rock & Roll medley that sent all the Grey Head Baby Boomers home happy.

The down side was the poor turn out. probably due to the fact that he was unknown here and the reluctance of the potential audience to come out on a cold winters night. However Sunjay remained professional and gave the few of us who attended a musical treat. The up side is that I'll be able to say that I was one of the few that saw him the first time he came to Colchester. I'll make a point of looking out for him in the future.

Sorry I missed this as I try to get to the Colchester Folk Club as often as I can but transport from Great Totham is a bit difficult as I’m not allowed to drive for medical reasons

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #353 on: February 06, 2018, 11:34:30 AM »

Good to see Sunjay starting to headline arts centres - it's been a long time coming for him. He is an excellent musician who deserves this break in his career.

dog-nap (Ian)

« Reply #354 on: February 08, 2018, 01:01:09 AM »

The Transatlantic Sessions at the Festival Hall.  Well up to the usual standard.  Julie Fowlis, Daoiri Farrell, Suzy Bogguss, and the Secret Sisters were the principal guests.  All of them impressive, but particularly the latter, who will be coming back to do a UK tour in the Spring.

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #355 on: February 13, 2018, 11:14:18 AM »

Jerry Douglas solo.....a superb night from the master of the Dobro guitar! Ran through the history of the instrument from it's design in the 1920s by Czech immigrants to the current day. Tom Waits & Hendrix (Hey Joe) got the dobro treatment and was excellently played.

garrypbrooks

« Reply #356 on: February 17, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »

Terrific show by Ray Cooper (AKA Chopper, ex-bassist with the Oyster Band) at Kemsing Village hall. He played five different instruments (cello, guitar, harmonica, mandolin and piano) while delivering a great bunch of mostly self-penned songs - nothing at all like the Oysters stuff. He sings pretty well too.

Great support from Terry Hiscox, who will be back at Kemsing with Hunter Muskett in November# Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #357 on: February 24, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »

Phil Beer on his solo tour at Ellel Village Hall last night. First time I'd seen him on his own and he played a good mix of folk and other stuff. He and Steve Knightley seem to be in reflective moods just now as both their solo shows have included quite a bit of reminiscing about their early days. Phil was talking about how Davey Graham influenced him (and everyone else back in those days) and we were treated to a cover of I Can't Keep From Crying. Just the one fiddle tune and one song on the mandolin (a Little Feat song) and near the end, after an RT anecdote, I thought from the intro he was going to play Wall of Death but we got Keep Your Distance instead.

Support was from Kirsty Merryn who I wasn't sure about at first but she's got a nice voice and played some good songs.

Next gig there is Edgelarks in a couple of week's time.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #358 on: February 24, 2018, 11:28:10 AM »

Good to see Sunjay starting to headline arts centres - it's been a long time coming for him. He is an excellent musician who deserves this break in his career.

Sunjay will be supporting Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman in Barry Island Sports and Social Club at the end of April. Really looking forward to this one as I missed him last time he was in town.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #359 on: February 24, 2018, 05:08:04 PM »

Sunjay will be supporting Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman in Barry Island Sports and Social Club at the end of April. Really looking forward to this one as I missed him last time he was in town.

I'll be there too. See you there.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: