TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:41:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803451 times)
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #320 on: January 20, 2018, 12:49:45 AM »

It suits him well - a tribute to Swarb had great contributions from John Kirkpatrick, Martin Carthy, Simon Swarbrick and the percussionist who also sang should receive a special mention. I will not comment on the rest and don't want to cover the set as it might spoil the surprises. Would be interested to see what other people thought?

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #321 on: January 20, 2018, 08:11:24 AM »

It suits him well - a tribute to Swarb had great contributions from John Kirkpatrick, Martin Carthy, Simon Swarbrick and the percussionist who also sang should receive a special mention. I will not comment on the rest and don't want to cover the set as it might spoil the surprises. Would be interested to see what other people thought?

Reasonable crowd?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #322 on: January 20, 2018, 09:18:32 AM »

First time they got a full house in fifteen years !

Reasonable crowd?

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #323 on: January 20, 2018, 09:48:04 AM »

FYI Brendan, you can put remarks behind a spoiler tag by clicking on the radioactive icon when writing a Reply (not a Quick Reply).

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #324 on: January 20, 2018, 11:05:17 AM »

An excellent performance by Roger Chapman and co., billed as 'Family and Friends'.   Only one ex family member apart from RC -- 'Poli'  Palmer, but they played well. A goodly number of classic Family songs, including 'Weaver's Answer'.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #325 on: January 20, 2018, 02:06:01 PM »

First time they got a full house in fifteen years !

Reasonable crowd?

That surprises me.  The publicity for this tour seems (I thought, anyway) to have been a bit shoddy.  I'm glad I'm wrong on that.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #326 on: January 20, 2018, 07:15:27 PM »

Dame Judy Dyble and Andy Lewis and their band at The Union Chapel. Part of the pay-what-you-will lunchtime sessions season. Jude in great voice with a terrific group of musicians including the much under-appropriated niche autoharp/samples crossover artiste stage left. Surprisingly upbeat set, with exemplary harmonies and violin, guitar and keyboards, drums, and acoustic guitar tastefully filling out the sound, and including their great cover of ‘Northern Sky’. Andy looking sharp as a pin in all-black, mod era turtleneck and shiny cuban heels. I left with a copy of the album on the vinly which, due to my filing system is now snuggled, appropriately, between Joni Mitchell and Kirsty MacColl.  Fez

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #327 on: January 22, 2018, 05:32:48 PM »

Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed 50th Anniversary Tour, last night, Cedar Park Center, Cedar Park, Texas!

Great show.  I checked my archive, and this was my first Moodies concert since 1986(!).  Everyone was on great form, and they played the entirety of DOFP, complete with pre-recorded orchestral flourishes, sandwiched between the greatest hits of John Lodge and Justin Hayward.  Virtual Jeremy Irons subbed for Mike Pinder on the spoken passages.

Highly recommend if you get a chance.

Also, a moving video tribute to Ray Thomas opened the show.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #328 on: January 22, 2018, 07:53:54 PM »

Reasonable crowd?

Sold Out.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #329 on: January 22, 2018, 10:02:07 PM »

A new monthly folk night started at the Holywell in Oxford on Saturday with a great set by Teddy Thompson. If they keep this standard up, it's going to be a regular night out for me
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #330 on: January 23, 2018, 12:37:51 PM »

Reasonable crowd?

Sold Out.

Looking forward to seeing this next week

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #331 on: January 24, 2018, 01:20:47 PM »

The wonderful TRIALS OF CATO , at the Wurzlebush Folk Club in Brinklow.
A male trio, Bozouki, Banjo, Bodhran, Stomp Box / Mandolin / Guitar, shared lead vocals and v good harmonies. Some trad songs and tunes but a lot of their own songs and tunes, a couple in Welsh ( in a folk style , whatever that is)  to be found on their album , out in the Spring
I bought their taster 4 track Cd. Always a good sign.
If they don't become a serious big festival band I will be very surprised.
Mister Keith at New Forest Fest, have a look at these , they would fit you perfectly!
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #332 on: January 26, 2018, 06:58:15 PM »

Luke Jackson at Faringdon Corn Exchange. He just keeps getting better and better. As Amy Wadge had to pull out of the tour through illness, Luke is doing the full evening with an interesting range of covers and some new material.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #333 on: January 28, 2018, 06:34:58 PM »

Wolf People at the Deaf Institute in Manchester last night. Nice venue for a great band. Looked and sounded like an early 70s band. Bits of folk rock, dual guitars reminiscent of early Wishbone Ash, and crunching Sabbath style riffs. Loud!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #334 on: January 30, 2018, 09:58:08 AM »

SWARB - It Suits Him Well last night at Nettlebed.  I'll put my comments behind a spoiler thing in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #335 on: January 30, 2018, 06:27:31 PM »

SWARB - It Suits Him Well last night at Nettlebed.  I'll put my comments behind a spoiler thing in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

good review exactly my take on the event but expressed far better than I could apart from the presence of invisible reggae

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #336 on: January 31, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »

good review exactly my take on the event but expressed far better than I could apart from the presence of invisible reggae

Thanks.  Yes, the supposed reggae influence evaded me.  And the mash-up of 'My Luve is Like A Red Red Rose' and 'No Woman No Cry' was not a success IMHO.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #337 on: January 31, 2018, 11:49:37 AM »

Thanks.  Yes, the supposed reggae influence evaded me.  And the mash-up of 'My Luve is Like A Red Red Rose' and 'No Woman No Cry' was not a success IMHO.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #338 on: February 02, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »

John Smith at The Sugarmill in Hanley last night. Without doubt the coldest gig I've ever been to, indoor or out, it was freezing. John was blowing into cupped hands between each song in a vain attempt to warm his hands and made several requests from the stage for someone to turn on the heating, but for whatever reason nothing was done. The audience were a pretty bizarre sight in coats, scarves, hats, gloves etc, exactly what they'd arrived in.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #339 on: February 02, 2018, 11:58:36 AM »

John Smith at The Sugarmill in Hanley last night. Without doubt the coldest gig I've ever been to, indoor or out, it was freezing. John was blowing into cupped hands between each song in a vain attempt to warm his hands and made several requests from the stage for someone to turn on the heating, but for whatever reason nothing was done. The audience were a pretty bizarre sight in coats, scarves, hats, gloves etc, exactly what they'd arrived in.

Puts me in mind of the time I saw RT play at St Mary's cathedral in Edinburgh in late December. The audience was all wrapped up in their coats, hats and gloves but himself played the gig in his usual black t-shirt. Maybe there was a heater on full blast where he was standing.

I'm probably going to see John Smith in Morecambe tomorrow. Hopefully the heating will be functioning at the Hothouse.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: