TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:03:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803555 times)
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #300 on: December 14, 2017, 08:25:36 AM »

Put to one side the falsetto vocal, the regular use of profanity (particularity the word piss) the provocative nature of the majority of the songs and the face paint what The Tiger Lillies gave us at the Howard Assembly Rooms was a trio of musicians performing to the highest standards, telling stories with humour, pathos and sadness through a performance which was subtle, beautiful and above all joyfully entertaining. I may come across in my reviews as easily pleased but this year regarding the gigs I have attended my cup runneth over....even without blanking out The Kings of the South Seas, I have to say I feel blessed, which may not be appropriate following a Tiger Lillies concert (poor Jesus got a serious pasting).

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #301 on: December 16, 2017, 12:19:20 AM »

Just finished front of house duties for The Blues Band in Witham, Essex. Another excellent gig and got the band to sign a CD. Paul Jones is a really nice bloke as are Dave Kelly, Gary Fletcher, Tom McGuinness and Rob Townsend  Smiley

Born to Run (but not very fast)
garrypbrooks

« Reply #302 on: December 16, 2017, 08:13:08 AM »

Just finished front of house duties for The Blues Band in Witham, Essex. Another excellent gig and got the band to sign a CD. Paul Jones is a really nice bloke as are Dave Kelly, Gary Fletcher, Tom McGuinness and Rob Townsend  Smiley

A rock concert in Witham? I lived there in the 80s and it was dead as a doornail. How things change.
I saw the Blues Band at Epsom a few weeks ago. An absolute pleasure, the way these guys keep their enthusiasm up both on & off the stage after so many years is amazing - a bit like Fairport, really.  Smiley
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #303 on: December 16, 2017, 08:39:58 AM »

A rock concert in Witham? I lived there in the 80s and it was dead as a doornail. How things change.
I saw the Blues Band at Epsom a few weeks ago. An absolute pleasure, the way these guys keep their enthusiasm up both on & off the stage after so many years is amazing - a bit like Fairport, really.  Smiley

Yes and we have Geno Washington & The Ram Jam Band (yes the Geno!) next month and the Kast Off Kinks in March. The KOK are not really as a tribute band as they consist of all former members of The Kinks including Mick Avory

garrypbrooks

« Reply #304 on: December 16, 2017, 09:05:53 AM »

Yes and we have Geno Washington & The Ram Jam Band (yes the Geno!) next month and the Kast Off Kinks in March. The KOK are not really as a tribute band as they consist of all former members of The Kinks including Mick Avory

Rock on Witham! Back in the 80s we'd have killed for a Karoke night!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #305 on: December 16, 2017, 01:31:04 PM »

Do Ray and Dave not qualify as ex-Kinks? Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #306 on: December 16, 2017, 01:52:57 PM »

Of course but they’re not part of the Kast Off Kinks although Ray has sung with them on occasion

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #307 on: December 16, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM!

Of course but they’re not part of the Kast Off Kinks although Ray has sung with them on occasion

Now be thankful for good things below
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #308 on: December 17, 2017, 01:35:24 PM »

Queen + Adam Lambert, Birmingham. Fantastic!
I’m fed up of people banging on that it’s not Queen without Freddie, etc. Adam Lambert addressed that early on in the show, saying that of course he wasn’t trying to be a Freddie, but wanted to honour and remember him by doing the best he can. He is a fantastic, charismatic singer in his own right, and I think his voice fits the songs well. Particular highlights:
1. Brian May tearing into the guitar solos. He was my first guitar hero, and seeing him live for the first time was magical.
2. Not just the hits! Never thought I’d hear Stone Cold Crazy or Get Down Make Love!
3. Just how good Roger Taylor was at taking lead vocal on Under Pressure.
4. A visibly emotional Brian May. He came to the front of the stage with an acoustic guitar; unfortunately he told us he had a virus and had lost his voice. He played love of my life, whilst the crowd sang it to him. He was filling up by the end.
5. Awesome stage show; lots of Frank the robot from News of the World, both holographically and as a physical prop.

All in all, an amazing night that I won’t forget in a hurry
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #309 on: December 17, 2017, 04:57:17 PM »

Albion Christmas Band last night in Southport - very much getting us into a festive mood, even if it meant missing the Strictly Final!
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #310 on: December 17, 2017, 10:20:34 PM »

Belshazzar's Feast at the tuppeny barn. Not sure whether to describe this as comedy, Christmas or folk, as it is all three. Great fun, full of excellent musicianship, and very silly gags. Arguing whether a pieces was in D or A was hilarious, especially when it was played.

Paul

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #311 on: December 18, 2017, 11:12:56 AM »

Coope Simpson Fraser Freya last night at Staveley village hall. Some fine harmony singing including three versions of While Shepherds... plus a Tom Lehrer number and Alan Bennett's 12 Days of Xmas being among other highlights.

They're playing in Blackburn tonight.

https://www.ents24.com/blackburn-events/mellor-brook-community-centre/coope-simpson-fraser-freya/5167793

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #312 on: December 18, 2017, 04:29:17 PM »

The argument about tribute Bands does p*** me off a bit.

Fairports have one original member but when they play Liege and Lief stuff they are Fairport playing fairport music.

I love Pink Floyd ,but Aussie Floyd played it better.

No one in the Berlin Philharmonic toured with Beethoven , but it's relevant and authentic when they play it.

For me its about the sincerity and quality. When we see the band set up to recreate Paul Simon's Graceland at the Beardy festival it will probably be good because they are doing it because they love it.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #313 on: December 19, 2017, 10:14:09 AM »

Daniel Kitson at Theatr Clwyd in Mold.  His Christmas 'play' (well, sort of).

Genuinely the funniest man I know of.  And by far the best swearer on the planet.

I love how he doesn't play the game...£12 a ticket?  Never on tv?  Good man.  Love him to bits.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #314 on: January 07, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »

Saw the legendary Geno Washington at Witham Public Hall in Essex last night. He was with a band called YoYo Blues which was essentially the old Ram Jam Band but without the sax players. The set was more blues based than soul based but the guitarist and especially the bass player, Steve Bingham (same surname as me but no relation unfortunately) were superb. Geno was also on fine form for a 74 year old although I could have done without some of the ramblings between songs

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #315 on: January 08, 2018, 04:10:42 PM »

Fairports have one original member but when they play Liege and Lief stuff they are Fairport playing fairport music.

The only tributes I have an issue with are those who take to the ultimate, like the Bootleg Beatles, for example. You *don't* need to look like the originals, nor dress like the originals, to *sound* like the originals. I mean, wtf?.....~I don't get it, sorry.

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #316 on: January 08, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »

The only tributes I have an issue with are those who take to the ultimate, like the Bootleg Beatles, for example. You *don't* need to look like the originals, nor dress like the originals, to *sound* like the originals. I mean, wtf?.....~I don't get it, sorry.

Why is under the ‘recent gigs’ thread?

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #317 on: January 08, 2018, 04:31:48 PM »

Good question - for the original poster I quoted. I did wonder where/why that post appeared where it did :-)

garrypbrooks

« Reply #318 on: January 09, 2018, 09:10:19 AM »

Paul Jones and Friends at G Live in Guildford: Charity event to raise money for Prostate Cancel unit (and also a little for Cranleigh Arts Centre, of which PJ is honorary patron)

What a line up - PJ, Eric Clapton, tom JOnes, Van Morrison and a terrific backing 10/11 piece band led by Paddy Milner on the old Joanna - and all playing for free. Not bad for £50, and all for a worthy cause

PJ really is a National Treasure. (I hope that's not an insult)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #319 on: January 19, 2018, 12:01:42 PM »

Steve Knightley last night in Lancaster on his Songs and Stories tour. As the name suggests there is quite alot of chat between and even during songs so if you're looking for an evening of music only, then probably best to wait for the SoH tour this April/May. I see Geoff Lakeman is special guest on that tour and they're coming to Morecambe on May 11th.

I thoroughly enjoyed the evening with some interesting stories from his teenage and pre-SoH days. Turns out he applied to study at Lancaster but was turned down and went to Coventry instead. Quite a few covers ranging from Dylan to Prince and even a bit of Radiohead. He does do quite a few bits of songs which can be a tad frustrating if you want to hear the whole song but all in all it was a fun evening... apart from the uncomfortable seats in the Chaplaincy Centre.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: