TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:31:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803699 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #280 on: November 29, 2017, 09:17:20 AM »

Just back from seeing Steeleye Span in Abergavenny. With the trend for performing entire albums as part of a tour I suppose it was inevitable that Steeleye would eventually do it. They did (almost) all of 'Hark, The Village Wait' in the first half and jolly good it was too. The second half also offered up some classic oldies that haven't seen the light of day in a while - including a couple that I've never seen performed live before.  The new 7 piece line up seems to have gelled pretty well, with everyone seeming comfortable on stage. Plenty of humour and as always, great musicianship. A great concert, well worth the 90 mile round trip.

Pedant alert: Steeleye have done it before, and released a live version of Now We Are Six a few years back.  Wonder if there will be a live recording of Hark... from this tour?

Was Maddy better?  There have been some comments about her struggling with a cold recently.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #281 on: December 01, 2017, 07:13:39 PM »

Just back from seeing Steeleye Span in Abergavenny. With the trend for performing entire albums as part of a tour I suppose it was inevitable that Steeleye would eventually do it. They did (almost) all of 'Hark, The Village Wait' in the first half and jolly good it was too. The second half also offered up some classic oldies that haven't seen the light of day in a while - including a couple that I've never seen performed live before.  The new 7 piece line up seems to have gelled pretty well, with everyone seeming comfortable on stage. Plenty of humour and as always, great musicianship. A great concert, well worth the 90 mile round trip.

Pedant alert: Steeleye have done it before, and released a live version of Now We Are Six a few years back.  Wonder if there will be a live recording of Hark... from this tour?

Was Maddy better?  There have been some comments about her struggling with a cold recently.

Of course, I should have remembered, as I've got the 'Now we Are Six Again' live album!  Roll Eyes I suppose it was because it came hot on the heels of seeing Oysterband perform the whole of 'Holy Bandits' a fortnight ago.

Maddy was croaky (as were one or two of the others on stage) but it didn't detract from an overall brilliant night.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #282 on: December 03, 2017, 02:56:57 PM »

Moulettes at Arlington Arts on Friday night were in good form at the beginning of their tour.  They played the whole of the Preternatural album and a couple of other songs, but to me the atmosphere felt a little flat - not the band's fault, I think the fact that the seating is tiered, kind of like a lecture theatre, didn't help.  So it didn't grab me the way that hearing them at Cropredy a few years back did.  But, to be honest, I think I prefer their songs from back then too.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #283 on: December 03, 2017, 02:59:49 PM »

Didn't they have a different line-up at Cropredy?

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #284 on: December 06, 2017, 03:10:02 PM »

Pentangle/Strawbs/Steeleye last night.

I enjoyed all 3 of the acts, bur Steeleye especially, who seem at the top of their game, as it is now. Electric and electrifying folk. I was left feeling I should catch up-  Haven't really paid a lot of attention to them since around the time of Below the Salt.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #285 on: December 06, 2017, 03:27:44 PM »

I enjoyed all 3 of the acts, bur Steeleye especially, who seem at the top of their game, as it is now. Electric and electrifying folk. I was left feeling I should catch up-  Haven't really paid a lot of attention to them since around the time of Below the Salt.

That’s a fair bit of Steeleye to catch up on, Alan! Some really good stuff out there.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #286 on: December 06, 2017, 04:11:33 PM »

Didn't they have a different line-up at Cropredy?

Yes, their line-up has changed quite a bit since then - only the singer/cellist and drummer are the same.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #287 on: December 07, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »

That’s a fair bit of Steeleye to catch up on, Alan! Some really good stuff out there.

Indeed yes. Actually, I have heard some more recent stuff, , since I have some off-air tapes somewhere from the 80s. Steeleye in my record  collection ends with Parcel Of Rogues.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #288 on: December 09, 2017, 06:50:59 PM »

Last night the late show at Stoller Hall the Unthanks. Firstly what a great venue really friendly and relaxed and the concert hall itself nicely set out comfortable and the sound was fantastic. I have seen the Unthanks two or three times always special concerts and real events, this time for me more than anything the event was the music, a varied set from their expansive back catalogue really showcasing their undoubted talent. The balance between the band and the orchestra was perfect, this was a truly great collaboration. This young orchestra and conductor with energy and subtle arrangement were the ideal foil to the Unthanks who vocally were pitch perfect and really performed the songs never being swamped. I got home about two in the morning and got up to work at five but I am still on a high having had such a great experience. Brilliant night catch them if you can!

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #289 on: December 10, 2017, 09:23:09 AM »

I know The Blockheads at Cropredy weren’t everybody’s cup of tea but last night at the Colchester Arts Centre they were on stonking form as they played the latest gig in their 40th anniversary tour.They played all of their hits together with tracks from their new album. A good time was had by all  Cheesy

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #290 on: December 10, 2017, 11:21:18 AM »

I thought they were great at Cropredy and would enjoy a return visit.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #291 on: December 10, 2017, 11:47:51 AM »

Quite agree.  Full of energy and tight as a duck's bottom

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #292 on: December 10, 2017, 11:48:29 AM »

Norman Watt Roy is probably the best bass player around and, apart from a couple of members, the Blockheads still have all the originals (including Chaz Jankel) whilst Derek the Draw is superb taking the lead vocals

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #293 on: December 10, 2017, 02:37:10 PM »

Blockheads were tremendous at Cropredy and it wasn't even the first team, no Norman Watt Roy or Micky Gallagher. Still Guy Pratt wasn't a bad stand in on bass.

The Dude abides
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #294 on: December 10, 2017, 07:52:31 PM »

Blockheads were tremendous at Cropredy and it wasn't even the first team, no Norman Watt Roy or Micky Gallagher. Still Guy Pratt wasn't a bad stand in on bass.

Agreed.
I still haven't seen Norm do his stuff live, and hope to get the chance.
With Peggy and John Paul Jones appearing that year, it was a treat and a half for us thick stringers.  

Well I never did..
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #295 on: December 10, 2017, 10:08:56 PM »

Seen them with Norman several times. He is a superb bassist, and the whole group are really tight.

Derek is a brilliant frontman. He doesn't try and copy Ian, which I think is a good thing, just brings his own style to Ian's songs.

Paul

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #296 on: December 10, 2017, 10:13:59 PM »

Seen them with Norman several times. He is a superb bassist, and the whole group are really tight.

Derek is a brilliant frontman. He doesn't try and copy Ian, which I think is a good thing, just brings his own style to Ian's songs.

Paul

Absolutely and Mr Hussey was on form again last night  Grin

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #297 on: December 11, 2017, 08:48:22 AM »

Last night the late show at Stoller Hall the Unthanks. Firstly what a great venue really friendly and relaxed and the concert hall itself nicely set out comfortable and the sound was fantastic. I have seen the Unthanks two or three times always special concerts and real events, this time for me more than anything the event was the music, a varied set from their expansive back catalogue really showcasing their undoubted talent. The balance between the band and the orchestra was perfect, this was a truly great collaboration. This young orchestra and conductor with energy and subtle arrangement were the ideal foil to the Unthanks who vocally were pitch perfect and really performed the songs never being swamped. I got home about two in the morning and got up to work at five but I am still on a high having had such a great experience. Brilliant night catch them if you can!
Wednesday night on Radio 2 from seven o'clock if they are on this kind of form it will be great

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #298 on: December 11, 2017, 10:23:20 AM »

They were at the recording on Saturday night at the Sage in Gateshead, I'm looking forward to hearing it again.

The whole show was nearly two hours long, so it'll be edited for sure. A standing ovation had Rachel in tears at the end. Well deserved though.

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #299 on: December 12, 2017, 08:55:59 AM »

Robert Plant in Portsmouth last night - most excellent : a well-balanced blend of 21st Century material with some carefully chosen Zep favourites. Having such a stellar band certainly helps...
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: