TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:38:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803503 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #240 on: November 06, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »

Ida Wenhoe and Angel Snow at The Smokehouse in the heart of swinging downtown Ipswich last night. Both very personable solo singer-songwriters able to pull in a respectable crowd on a Sunday night in Suffolk. Angel possibly had the edge overall with her Alison Krauss-covered material a particular highlight.
She's around the UK for the next week or so.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #241 on: November 07, 2017, 12:34:38 PM »

Not a gig as such, but Ancient Muse and I went to see the touring production of "Beautiful" - the musical about Carole King - last Tuesday. What a fabulous night! Featuring music from Carole and Jerry Goffin, plus from Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann. Lots of Jewish humour (her Mama had us in stitches  Grin) singing, dancing and a surprising amount of snogging  Shocked with a  triumphant end that had us all on our feet cheering  Cheesy

Excellent cast - go and see it if you get the chance.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #242 on: November 07, 2017, 05:16:13 PM »

Michael McDonald and Marc Cohn, ACL Live, November 6, 2017! Christopher Cross popped up during the encore to perform "Ride Like The Wind." Michael and Marc duetted on a snippet of "Wildflowers" (Tom Petty) and a fabulous version of "Into the Mystic."  It was a perfect evening.

[attachment deleted by admin]
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #243 on: November 07, 2017, 05:28:06 PM »

Michael McDonald and Marc Cohn, ACL Live, November 6, 2017! Christopher Cross popped up during the encore to perform "Ride Like The Wind." Michael and Marc duetted on a snippet of "Wildflowers" (Tom Petty) and a fabulous version of "Into the Mystic."  It was a perfect evening.

Did you steal his laces?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #244 on: November 09, 2017, 04:42:48 PM »

One of my all-time favorite bands, Los Lobos, ACL Live, last night (November 8, 2017)! By my count, this was my 19th Los Lobos show since 1987.

Guest stars Los Texmaniacs and Making Movies joined them for several tunes, including an awesome cover of "She's About A Mover" to close out the show. It's the greatest maracas- and Farfisa organ-based pop song ever written.

David Hidalgo told a story about their first visit to Austin. In 1983, they booked a gig in Laredo, Texas, that fell through. Stuck in Laredo without enough money to get 1,400 miles back to Los Angeles, they called Clifford Antone for help. Steve Berlin knew Clifford because The Blasters had played Antone's a few times. Clifford offered them a week in his club opening for Doug Sahm (Texas Tornadoes, Sir Douglas Quintet). They got paid $100 each. It was a sweet story and so Austin.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #245 on: November 09, 2017, 08:52:20 PM »

Last night at Cecil Sharp, Jex Lowe and Steve Tilston, it was a good night. Next week at CS Sir Ralph with Wizz.  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #246 on: November 09, 2017, 09:29:32 PM »

Oysterband last night. Stonkingly good as usual!

Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #247 on: November 09, 2017, 11:57:27 PM »

Great gig in Leicester tonight with The Whiskey Rebellion, The brandy Thieves and Ferocious Dog.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #248 on: November 10, 2017, 07:47:39 AM »

Jon Boden on fine form (solo) at the Cornerstone in Didcot. Bit disappointed at first it wasn't with the Remnant Kings but once I'd got over that, really enjoyed it, especially strong new material from his new album. Surprising number of songs from his  Bellowhead days but not complaining. Really is a very talented guy. Very friendly too, seemed a little more relaxed flying alone
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #249 on: November 10, 2017, 11:59:43 AM »

Jon Boden on fine form (solo) at the Cornerstone in Didcot. Bit disappointed at first it wasn't with the Remnant Kings but once I'd got over that, really enjoyed it, especially strong new material from his new album. Surprising number of songs from his  Bellowhead days but not complaining. Really is a very talented guy. Very friendly too, seemed a little more relaxed flying alone

It was a lovely show wasn't it?

We saw Jon solo about a year ago at the RSC so kind of knew what to expect - the new songs come across very well in the solo setting.

I guess there are echoes of Richard Thompson there. Not in terms of the sound, but the idea of being able to tour two very different shows from the same back catalogue, solo and band based. The, ahem, 'cover' reminded me of RT doing Brittany too.

I shall try and get tickets to the Scala gig which will be with the Remnant Kings, so I can compare and contrast.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #250 on: November 12, 2017, 06:30:19 AM »

Last night (Friday), Chris Hillman, Herb Pederson and John Jorgenson at the Texas Union Theatre in Austin, Texas, U.S.A.

This was an absolutely lovely experience. Three incredible and incredibly tasteful musicians, playing and singing in perfect harmony. Chris put out a new album a couple of months ago ("Bidin' My Time"), produced by none other than Tom Petty.  I bought the album after the show, BTW, and got a hurried autograph from the man himself.  He played most of the new album, which is fabulous, and sprinkled in a couple of "hits" from the Desert Rose Band and Flying Burrito Brothers.  As one might guess, we were also treated to Turn Turn Turn, Eight Miles High, and a handful of other carefully curated Byrds tunes.

I cannot recommend this highly enough.  If he decides to tour the UK, you have to go see him!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #251 on: November 12, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »

Last night (Friday), Chris Hillman, Herb Pederson and John Jorgenson at the Texas Union Theatre in Austin, Texas, U.S.A.

This was an absolutely lovely experience. Three incredible and incredibly tasteful musicians, playing and singing in perfect harmony. Chris put out a new album a couple of months ago ("Bidin' My Time"), produced by none other than Tom Petty.  I bought the album after the show, BTW, and got a hurried autograph from the man himself.  He played most of the new album, which is fabulous, and sprinkled in a couple of "hits" from the Desert Rose Band and Flying Burrito Brothers.  As one might guess, we were also treated to Turn Turn Turn, Eight Miles High, and a handful of other carefully curated Byrds tunes.

I cannot recommend this highly enough.  If he decides to tour the UK, you have to go see him!

Ace!  I've played quite a bit of Chris's new album over on YouTube and can only echo John here - it's a terrific record.  McGuinn and Crosby guest on it.  It was only possible because of Tom Petty's belief in Chris.  That man will be missed.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #252 on: November 12, 2017, 01:16:43 PM »

Given the fact that he had effectively retired (only getting talked out of it by Tom), I find it highly unlikely he will tour this side of the pond, but I sincerely hope he does.  Short of Gene C (who I had tickets for the Cambridge Folk Festival he was billed on, before, with very bad timing, dying) I think Chris is the only major Byrds member (who survived into the 80's at least) I haven't seen. Had a chance with the Desert Rose Band and turned my nose up at the opportunity.  Always regretted that.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #253 on: November 12, 2017, 10:32:24 PM »

Gigspanner on excellent form at the Tuppenny Barn yesterday. Not only are they excellent musicians, but such nice blokes as well.

Paul

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #254 on: November 15, 2017, 12:50:31 AM »

Alice Cooper. The usual classy entertainment, plus five classic tunes at the end featuring the surviving members of the original Alice Cooper band, with the entire ensemble rounding things off with School's Out/Another Brick In The Wall part two at the whatever it's called this week arena in Brum.
Possibly the last arena gig I ever go to, it was a good way to end things.  Smiley  Huh  Cry

Well I never did..
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #255 on: November 15, 2017, 07:42:00 AM »

Biily Bragg last night at Liverpool Phil. Great show - Billy's really on form at the moment. I suppose there's a lot for him to go on about these days. He did a particularly well received version of 'Never buy the sun'.
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #256 on: November 16, 2017, 05:21:55 PM »

Very laid-back album launch by Wizz and Ralph at Cecil Sharp House last night.  The chaps were on splendid form.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #257 on: November 16, 2017, 09:04:07 PM »

Very laid-back album launch by Wizz and Ralph at Cecil Sharp House last night.  The chaps were on splendid form.

What a great night, so relaxing, good humour, great music.  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #258 on: November 17, 2017, 09:55:24 AM »

Oysterband in Cardiff last night. Brilliant.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #259 on: November 17, 2017, 01:25:29 PM »

Elaine Morgan's new band Dewdropper before the Oysters last night - excellent night all round!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: