TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:10:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803578 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2017, 05:35:35 PM »

The National in Manchester.  Slightly rubbish seats meant it felt slightly like one was stuck on the outside looking in, but they are still a bloody magnificent live band.  

I grow increasingly tired of the experience of live music in large venues these days though...p1ssed punters, ubiquitous phones and constant chatter.  It just ain't worth it any more, however good the music.

Where would one start with The National, David?
By the way, I'm calling out next album 'Ubiquitous Phones and Constant Chatter'. :-)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2017, 09:20:29 PM »

The National in Manchester.  Slightly rubbish seats meant it felt slightly like one was stuck on the outside looking in, but they are still a bloody magnificent live band.  

I grow increasingly tired of the experience of live music in large venues these days though...p1ssed punters, ubiquitous phones and constant chatter.  It just ain't worth it any more, however good the music.

By the way, I'm calling out next album 'Ubiquitous Phones and Constant Chatter'. :-)
i would always go Back to Boxer, not a bad track on it, sublime.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2017, 08:06:45 AM »

i would always go Back to Boxer, not a bad track on it, sublime.

I'll sue, Skirky  Grin

Brendan's right, I think - although to be honest, I don't think they've done a bad album.  I know people that don't like them.  But listening to Boxer should sort out which side of the fence you sit on.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2017, 09:14:26 AM »

John Jones & his Reluctant Ramblers brought Threlkeld Village Hall to its feet on Saturday - 'nuff said. excellent gig.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »

Brendan's right, I think - although to be honest, I don't think they've done a bad album.  I know people that don't like them.  But listening to Boxer should sort out which side of the fence you sit on.  

Thanks chaps. Always nice to have a new journey to look forward to!  Smiley  

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2017, 02:49:25 PM »

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Firstly I should say that I am not a big fan of large venues and for me the soulless Bournemouth International Centre is one of the worst, but last night Nick Cave really nailed it and brought everyone together as though it was one massive party.
Although I have been a fan for many years this was the first time I have seen him live. I had high expectations and, if anything, they were exceeded.
The two and a half hour show veered from joyous noise-fest to a heartfelt poignancy during which you could hear a pin drop.
Much of the material came from his latest album Skeleton Tree, but there was also a trawl through his extensive back catalogue.
A very memorable evening!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2017, 10:17:32 AM »

Suzanne Vega at the Brighton Dome last night performing Solitude Standing and 99.9F.

First of all, I would never have booked for this had I known there was a party conference in town. The resulting traffic chaos combined with major road works on seemingly every access route to Brighton and in the centre of the city itself made for nightmare journeys in both directions, taking an hour and a half to cover the 13 miles from my home and causing me to miss the first two songs of the set, those songs being the most famous on the album, Tom's Diner & Luka.

Other than that it was a splendid evening but I realised that it is a long time since I have listened to Solitude Standing from beginning to end. I was transported back 30 years to a time when I first heard this music alongside the likes of REM and The Smithereens. I was trying to remember what the world was like then and what my 23 year old self was like then. It really was a somewhat Proustian and bittersweet experience. 99.9F perhaps has less nostalgic associations. I was knocking 30 by the time it came out, was less of a dreamer and had started down the career path that has continued ever since. Nevertheless, the performance of In Liverpool, possibly my favourite SV song, was majestic and the accompanying anecdote was highly amusing.

Encores of the dance mix of Tom's Diner, Left Of Center and Marlene On the Wall made for a suitably crowd pleasing finish. Sad to see that the venue was only two thirds full though some may have got caught up in the traffic and simply given up. It was however a little pricey which may also explain it. Knock £10 of the price of the tickets and the place would have sold out.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2017, 11:17:44 AM »

Suzanne Vega at the Brighton Dome last night performing Solitude Standing and 99.9F.

First of all, I would never have booked for this had I known there was a party conference in town. The resulting traffic chaos combined with major road works on seemingly every access route to Brighton and in the centre of the city itself made for nightmare journeys in both directions, taking an hour and a half to cover the 13 miles from my home and causing me to miss the first two songs of the set, those songs being the most famous on the album, Tom's Diner & Luka.

Other than that it was a splendid evening but I realised that it is a long time since I have listened to Solitude Standing from beginning to end. I was transported back 30 years to a time when I first heard this music alongside the likes of REM and The Smithereens. I was trying to remember what the world was like then and what my 23 year old self was like then. It really was a somewhat Proustian and bittersweet experience. 99.9F perhaps has less nostalgic associations. I was knocking 30 by the time it came out, was less of a dreamer and had started down the career path that has continued ever since. Nevertheless, the performance of In Liverpool, possibly my favourite SV song, was majestic and the accompanying anecdote was highly amusing.

Encores of the dance mix of Tom's Diner, Left Of Center and Marlene On the Wall made for a suitably crowd pleasing finish. Sad to see that the venue was only two thirds full though some may have got caught up in the traffic and simply given up. It was however a little pricey which may also explain it. Knock £10 of the price of the tickets and the place would have sold out.

I bought SV's debut when it came out, and I think I was approaching 30. I still hav e it , and I think it was and is a fine album, but I haven't kept up with her career at all. I bought the CD with the green apple on the front at a record fair some years ago, and was mildly disappointed.  Cool
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2017, 11:41:58 AM »

I bought SV's debut when it came out, and I think I was approaching 30. I still hav e it , and I think it was and is a fine album, but I haven't kept up with her career at all. I bought the CD with the green apple on the front at a record fair some years ago, and was mildly disappointed.  Cool

That'll be Nine Objects of Desire. Not one of her more memorable albums but it does have the fine Headshots on it.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2017, 11:48:36 AM »

Thanks for the review, Al.  It has whetted my appetite for Monday night in Oxford.  Her first two albums came out when I was at University, and I loved them, and saw her on the original tour for Solitude Standing.  I kind of lost touch with her after that for quite a while, so I only know some of the songs from 99.9F, but I am really looking forward to this.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2017, 12:00:07 PM »

John Jones & his Reluctant Ramblers brought Threlkeld Village Hall to its feet on Saturday - 'nuff said. excellent gig.

We were there for 3 days for the walking. Excellent way to end the weekend. I admire your dedication, Chris, all that way for one evening.  Smiley

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2017, 12:43:42 PM »

Well worth it, it was!

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2017, 03:08:03 PM »

Thanks for the review, Al.  It has whetted my appetite for Monday night in Oxford.  Her first two albums came out when I was at University, and I loved them, and saw her on the original tour for Solitude Standing.  I kind of lost touch with her after that for quite a while, so I only know some of the songs from 99.9F, but I am really looking forward to this.

I should catch up with Suzanne's back work too.
Those first two albums were heuuge favourites of mine back then, leading the way, along with Michelle Shocked, away from the male dominated poodle rock era of the mid 80's, towards acoustic, mainly female music and on to Fairport. Cracking is just a beautiful thing. I saw the notorious Glasto performance in '89, but like most acts I saw there, I don't remember much. I saw the Days Of Open Hands tour, but haven't followed her development. I'll add her to the list.

Well I never did..
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2017, 03:33:51 PM »

I should catch up with Suzanne's back work too.
Those first two albums were heuuge favourites of mine back then, leading the way, along with Michelle Shocked, away from the male dominated poodle rock era of the mid 80's, towards acoustic, mainly female music and on to Fairport. Cracking is just a beautiful thing. I saw the notorious Glasto performance in '89, but like most acts I saw there, I don't remember much. I saw the Days Of Open Hands tour, but haven't followed her development. I'll add her to the list.

Apart from the first two albums I'd strongly recommend the recent Tales from the Realm of the Queen of Pentacles.  I only have the Retrospective best of other than those, though I do also have her four acoustic Close-Up albums, re-recording many of her other songs.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2017, 03:45:49 PM »

Apart from the first two albums I'd strongly recommend the recent Tales from the Realm of the Queen of Pentacles.  

I would echo this. After 9 Objects Of Desire, I too lost touch with SV's career, though she is not prolific and only issued I think two albums of original material between Objects & Pentacles. I re-connected with her when the latter was issued two or three years ago and it is some of her best work. Subsequently I picked up the albums I missed.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2017, 06:40:11 PM »

Not a concert but certainly one of the most musical nights I have enjoyed in a long while. Follies at the National Theatre was absolutely wonderful. A brilliant production of probably Sondheim's finest work.
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2017, 11:15:30 AM »

I was fortunate to see Anthony John Clarke entertain a full house of 40 people at the Ruthin Allstyles Music Club on thursday night.

As usual he had us all in the palm of his hand from the word go, and it was a brilliant evening. He and Julia were staying in the Hotel he was playing at and he stated "I will just keep playing till the last one of you goes home". No one did and it was midnight when he finished.

What got to me though was that this club was in its twenty first year and I live in a village a couple of miles away and had never heard of it before. Like most of the crowds for our sort of music the clientele were ..."Mature"...but another thing that gave me great pleasure was the standard and enthusiasm of the floor spots. Of the forty present perhaps  a good half played or sang and some of them were just excellent.

It was friendly, the beer was good and the music mostly outstanding.

Next month they are hosting Merry Hell as guests, it will perhaps be the first occasion i have been to when there are more people on the stage than watching.

Big thanks from me to those who made me so welcome, particularly a guy who goes to Cropredy called Robin the busker and the host Chris. I will be back.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »

That'll be Nine Objects of Desire. Not one of her more memorable albums but it does have the fine Headshots on it.

Yes, that's the one. A couple of good tracks, but the album  as a whole didn't grab me
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »

Yesterday. This.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0grZUoUhn_k

Stunning!
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2017, 10:59:37 AM »

Aly & Phil....what raconteurs! Almost a stand-up (stit-down really) routine of 'on the road' stories interrupted by tunes, rather than the other way round. Very entertaining though, had us in stitches (Phil too!) at the end of the first half. So good, one didn't miss the music. Having said that, they got the mix about right, there wasn't a dearth of tunes at all.

Well recommended!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: