TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:16:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803581 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2017, 04:44:43 PM »

Last night, Jethro Tull by Ian Anderson, ACL Live, Austin!

He left behind Ryan O'Donnell this time, although Ryan made a guest appearance via rear screen projection during Aqualung.  Otherwise, Ian mostly tackled the vocals himself.

He is an incredibly entertaining fellow, with tons of energy and a catalog of songs anyone would envy.  It was a real pleasure.

Fun aside - He introduced "Dharma for One" as a tune written to showcase Clive Bunker. He then said something to the effect that:  "We play this in memory of Clive Bunker...  Oh, he's not dead.  In fact, he was in great shape when I last spoke to him."

Here are photos: http://www.austin360.com/entertainment/list-photos-jethro-tull-ian-anderson/FFl6Ie5wKKis7vortGrC4L/
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2017, 08:08:21 AM »

Last night, Jethro Tull by Ian Anderson, ACL Live, Austin!

He left behind Ryan O'Donnell this time, although Ryan made a guest appearance via rear screen projection during Aqualung.  Otherwise, Ian mostly tackled the vocals himself.

He is an incredibly entertaining fellow, with tons of energy and a catalog of songs anyone would envy.  It was a real pleasure.

Fun aside - He introduced "Dharma for One" as a tune written to showcase Clive Bunker. He then said something to the effect that:  "We play this in memory of Clive Bunker...  Oh, he's not dead.  In fact, he was in great shape when I last spoke to him."

Here are photos: http://www.austin360.com/entertainment/list-photos-jethro-tull-ian-anderson/FFl6Ie5wKKis7vortGrC4L/

Great photos!
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2017, 03:13:55 PM »

Wychwood Festival with a group from Festival Spirit - five young people with learning disabilities and their careers. Despite the weather they had a ball. Very friendly, small festival with lots of activities especially aimed at children of whom there were many there. Not sure I would go other than with a group like this as the line up didn't have a lot to recommend it though in its favour it did give exposure to a lot of small and local artists. Setting lovely though with camping in the middle of Cheltenham Racecourse.

Main acts I saw were:

Billy Bragg - wanted to see him for years and didn't disappoint with emphasis on his best known songs. Given next Thursday was not surprised at the focus of his set being as political as ever! Think he stuck a chord with most there.
Buzzcocks - had seen them once before and that was quite enough. Never minded about seeing them again!
Aswad - OK, but got a bit samey
Dhol Foundation - great, loved them as did everyone there. Should be a great tour in the autumn with the Afro Celts
OMD - didn't know what to expect. Probably enjoyed them more than their set. Very singles based and did all the ones you would want, but after a while 80s synth does sound the same. Put on a decent show though
Mawkin - good as ever. Had the graveyard slot and deserved better.
Levellers - no better way to end a festival. They get better whenever I see them. They really pulled out all the stops.

Overall then, some musical pluses, but a success mainly because of the group we took. Nice Festival and worth looking at especially if you have young kids.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2017, 03:39:09 PM »

Wychwood Festival with a group from Festival Spirit - five young people with learning disabilities and their careers. Despite the weather they had a ball. Very friendly, small festival with lots of activities especially aimed at children of whom there were many there. Not sure I would go other than with a group like this as the line up didn't have a lot to recommend it though in its favour it did give exposure to a lot of small and local artists. Setting lovely though with camping in the middle of Cheltenham Racecourse.

Main acts I saw were:

Billy Bragg - wanted to see him for years and didn't disappoint with emphasis on his best known songs. Given next Thursday was not surprised at the focus of his set being as political as ever! Think he stuck a chord with most there.
Buzzcocks - had seen them once before and that was quite enough. Never minded about seeing them again!
Aswad - OK, but got a bit samey
Dhol Foundation - great, loved them as did everyone there. Should be a great tour in the autumn with the Afro Celts
OMD - didn't know what to expect. Probably enjoyed them more than their set. Very singles based and did all the ones you would want, but after a while 80s synth does sound the same. Put on a decent show though
Mawkin - good as ever. Had the graveyard slot and deserved better.
Levellers - no better way to end a festival. They get better whenever I see them. They really pulled out all the stops.

Overall then, some musical pluses, but a success mainly because of the group we took. Nice Festival and worth looking at especially if you have young kids.

I didn't go this year because of one thing or another.  I was very sad indeed to have missed Buzzcocks.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2017, 08:14:06 PM »

Agreed, not a fantastic line up, but two interesting discoveries for me; East Pointers traditional Canadian folk tunes, and Beans on Toast, slightly crazy folk singer but great lyrics and real passion.
David V B

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2017, 10:15:11 PM »

East Pointers sounded good from what we heard, but they were one of two acts where we arrived at a tent, liked what was being played only to discover it was the last number!
moontheloon (Bryan)

I'm a llama!

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2017, 09:51:55 PM »

Ken Pustelnik's Groundhogs at Sodfest on Saturday,  (missed Stray but a nice chat with Del Bronham). Psychic TV on Sunday. Truly wicked weekend.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2017, 11:05:45 AM »

Ken Pustelnik's Groundhogs at Sodfest on Saturday,  (missed Stray but a nice chat with Del Bronham). Psychic TV on Sunday. Truly wicked weekend.

I suppose Ken can call his band whatever he wants, but I struggle to imagine a Groundhogs without Tony.  How were PTV?  Do they do any old stuff these days?  Last recording I heard seemed to involve ploddy covers of early Hawkwind tracks which was a little unsettling.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2017, 11:29:15 AM »

This.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-40175696

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/07/violin-left-unfinished-ww1-soldier-played-grave-100-years-chance/

The gig in the evening was extremely moving too.

Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2017, 12:19:58 PM »

how beautiful!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2017, 09:52:45 PM »

The Kast Off Kings at The Spring, Havant last night.

This is not a tribute band. Basically, it is The Kinks backline with Dave Clark (no, not that one) on guitar and vocals instead of Ray and Dave.

They are excellent, playing all the hits, in the spirit of the original, with  lots of on stage banter, and a great feel-good atmosphere. The sound was a bit indistinct in the first half, but they obviously tweaked the PA in the interval, and it was much better in the second half.

Paul

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2017, 09:06:51 AM »

Oysterband - warming up nicely for the festival season.

Great theatre lighting for taking photos, must remember that - but the in-house PA, certainly at the front, is appalling - I wondered why everyone was sat several rows back up in the rake. So did the band....

Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2017, 09:14:59 AM »

I saw Sam's show a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much - I'd been to the cemetery (Woods Cemetery) a few months earlier on a tour of the Ypres Salient, but didn't know the story at the time, so never looked for his grave.
David V B

« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2017, 10:31:08 PM »

Lucy Ward at the Unicorn in Abingdon. As much fun as ever. It's indecent how much personality she has. Lovely version of Levi Stubbs' Tears
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2017, 09:26:39 AM »

Double Header of Americana at Hare & Hounds in Brum last night. An hour of touching narrative songs from Otis Gibbs, followed by a hour of beautiful, soulful folk / blues from Chastity Brown. Lovely stuff.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »

Africa Oye at Liverpool's Sefton Park yesterday afternoon. Saw some of Diabel Cissokho's set and also Dizzy Mandjeku. Wonderful free, unticketed festival. Very nice atmosphere, drum and dancing workshops, and good selection of food stalls.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »

Secret North - superb new music

In June 2017, 6 musicians will meet for the first time in a remote studio in the highlands of Scotland. Having never played together before, for five days they will immerse themselves in the creation of new music together, combining their different backgrounds and musical traditions to create something completely unique. Six days later they will emerge and perform 8 concerts in Scotland. Thus, The Secret North will be born.

The Secret North brings together 6 world-class musicians from Scotland, Ireland and Scandinavia in a cross-cultural celebration of new music that bridges the divide between folk and classical, the traditional and the avant-garde by combining ancient  instruments with new composition.

Featuring

Donald Grant – Fiddle

Ailie Robertson - Harp

Sondre Meisfjord - Double Bass

Karen Tweed - Accordion

Jarlath Henderson - Whistle, Pipes

Marit Fält - Mandola

As musical collaborations go, this is an extraordinary musical interchange. Individually, each member has carved out a reputation for not just mastering their chosen fields, but rising above, redefining and renewing the musical world they come from. In The Secret North, they come together to premiere 6 new compositions, written by each musician specifically for the ensemble, resulting in a concert of ear-opening new music, grounded in tradition, but shot through with the adrenaline of contemporary influences. This is music that is both ancient and utterly new.

https://www.thesecretnorth.com/

http://www.folkradio.co.uk/2017/06/the-secret-north/

Well worth it if you're up in Scotland this week. Hopefully, sponsorship from the PRS Foundation will bring the project to London at some stage.

JohnP69

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2017, 04:44:41 PM »

Kraftwerk in 3-D at Nottingham Royal Centre

2 hours all killer,no filler as they used to say

Excellent show,graphics superb!
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2017, 04:48:51 PM »

Saturday night, The Doobie Brothers and Chicago at the Austin 360 Amphitheater, on the hottest night of the year (so far).

Here's a solid review from the local rag:  http://www.mystatesman.com/entertainment/music/chicago-and-doobie-brothers-deliver-blast-from-the-past/0TzH7mRtQoO4JPSAuwDShI/

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2017, 05:31:33 PM »

Saturday night, The Doobie Brothers and Chicago at the Austin 360 Amphitheater, on the hottest night of the year (so far).

Here's a solid review from the local rag:  http://www.mystatesman.com/entertainment/music/chicago-and-doobie-brothers-deliver-blast-from-the-past/0TzH7mRtQoO4JPSAuwDShI/

Nice  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: