TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:41:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803505 times)
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2017, 01:27:22 AM »

I was talking to myself. Shut the door and.....er...I'll leave it there, I think.

Well I never did..
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2017, 07:23:34 AM »

Must add my 2d worth to Daphnes Flight. Superb understates them. Not only do they have fantastic voices, they seem instinctively to weave together. And there is infectious joy in performing together. I was surprised how many people hadn't heard Chris C before, but her voice was more powerful than ever amongst friends. I hope the rumour is true that the 2 Chris' will be at Crops this year.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2017, 08:21:23 AM »

Must add my 2d worth to Daphnes Flight. Superb understates them. Not only do they have fantastic voices, they seem instinctively to weave together. And there is infectious joy in performing together. I was surprised how many people hadn't heard Chris C before, but her voice was more powerful than ever amongst friends. I hope the rumour is true that the 2 Chris' will be at Crops this year.
Chris While is definitely there (I read this somewhere) not sure about any of the other Daphnes though.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »

Chris While is definitely there (I read this somewhere) not sure about any of the other Daphnes though.

Chris Collister will be part of RT's band.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 09:48:43 AM »

On the While & Matthews website datesheet!
I will ask CC about her attendance tonight.....can't get enough of them!

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2017, 09:56:41 AM »

Daphne's Flight at Maldon. A first for me and wow, it was fantastic. An almost packed Town Hall and the atmosphere was amazing.

Smiley

So glad someone else on TAW has been to see them and has posted a review. They were so great last Friday. I was afraid everyone was going to miss them.

Al, isn't it amazing when one discovers a 'new' band and is blown away by the talent and the wonderful atmosphere, what a voice Christine Collister has, together with all the others it was pure magic!

They weren't entirely new to me as I had their first album 20 years ago and have been a fan of several of them individually for a long time, Christine Collister in particular. But this was my first time seeing them live and it was wonderful.

Chris - she was confirmed as part of Richard Thompson's band for Cropredy some months ago.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2017, 06:50:45 PM »

Some classy musicians thoroughly enjoying their work at the Fleece in Bristol last night. Jah Wobble and the Invaders of the Heart. Jazz, rock, jazz/rock, ska, reggae, dub, drum'n'bass, funk... all done with a wink and a nod.
Top geezers.

Flobbadob!
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2017, 08:15:09 PM »

A cracking gig from the Phil Beer Band at Stanley Halls.  Quite a few surprises – I certainly had not expected him to open the set with ‘Love the One You’re With’ on a 12-string.  Lovely venue, too (a listed Edwardian theatre, designed by a local inventor).  Reminded me slightly of Nettlebed.  Excellent local beers as well (I can recommend the Chelsea Blonde).  Anyway, it all whetted my appetite for the next Show of Hands concert.

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2017, 09:43:01 PM »

I have seen the Alter Eagles on numerous occasions, but last night gig at Tuppenny Barn was the best ever. The band were on fire, and obviously enjoying themselves. It is also an amazing venue. Friendly staff and good real ale.

Paul

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2017, 09:36:43 AM »

Fairport were on good form last night.  The first half was, I thought, a little flat, with a fair bit from the new album, but it definitely improved after the break.  It was nice to see Chris get his fiddle out for a few numbers too - lovely twin fiddle versions of WKWTTG and Fotheringay, and some fiddle duelling on the tunes that go with John Gaudie.

Simon warned us to look out for an upcoming edition of Soul Music on R4 about WKWTTG, for which he has recorded some thoughts.  He doesn't know when it goes out yet, but sometime in the next 6 weeks or so.

BTW, question for others who have seen them lately, has Gerry lost some weight recently?  I always think of him as very round-faced, but his face seemed quite angular last night?  Not in a bad way, I hasten to add.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2017, 03:33:53 PM »

Perhaps it's Gerry's shorter hair that makes him appear more slender of face.  Has Chris lopped off his long hair, or was it tied back? Personally, I think he looks better with shorter hair.

Flobbadob!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2017, 04:04:43 PM »

Chris' hair was tied back, not cut.  Not sure about Gerry's hair changing his look, but maybe you're right?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2017, 11:17:37 PM »

Just back from Daphne's Flight . Wow, and to do Shipbuilding as well.................................

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2017, 11:10:32 PM »

Didcot tonight for Daphne's Flight. And that's another Wow from the Abingdon jury!
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2017, 11:57:11 PM »

John Cale and guests playing VU... late, under-rehearsed?, **** sound, very disappointed...  Sad

Flobbadob!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2017, 06:29:18 AM »

Daphne's Flight just get better & better! One gig left, then festivals (Cambridge just announced), and a couple of European dates in September, and another tour being set up fir next year, yay!

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »

Biddulph Up In Arms YouTube page now includes Daphnes gig from Wednesday Track by track.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2017, 09:48:58 AM »

Not music but Brian Cox and Robin Ince at Wembley on the history of life, the universe, Big Bang and everything. I have never felt quite so stupid at a gig.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2017, 05:58:07 PM »

U2/Lumineers, Friday, AT&T Stadium (Jerry's World) in Arlington, Texas - Joshua Tree 2017

This tour is heading back to Europe later this summer, and I highly recommend it.

I won't spoil anything (setlists are ubiquitous on the Internet), but suffice it to say it was extremely nostalgic.

Lumineers must be wonderful in a smaller venue; the stadium swallowed them up.

Mrs. J From A took this snap early in the show, and it gives a good idea of the incredible visuals (and yes, that is a Joshua tree):

[attachment deleted by admin]
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2017, 12:44:44 AM »

...good review of the U2 concert in Arlington Friday:

https://www.guidelive.com/music/2017/05/27/u2-biggest-concert-world-friday-texas-arlington-att-stadium-dallas-cowboys-joshua-tree
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: